The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's going on with Elon Musk? Eccentric or going mad?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Stir up controversy = get famous

What Musk is doing is not controversy, in my opinion.

He might be saying something that sounds like it, but in the end he is behind 'green energy' and this is pushed in mass media. What is not being pushed? Carbon fuels.

So if you are Elon Musk's alter-ego, but are all after carbon fuels, you won't get any publicity. Zero. Again it is only my opinion. But I somehow only see one agenda being pushed and no discussion in mass media...

So no matter how many public stuns you will perform, if you don't represent the only correct side, you don't get any time.

D

Deleted74338

Musk is a total jerk. He supported the coup in Bolivia, doesn't treat his workers right and just spews BS at every chance. I don't understand why people see him as this genius, he is just another guy who was born into a wealthy family and had everything provided for him and is incredibly popular on the internet.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
he is just another guy who was born into a wealthy family and had everything provided for him and is incredibly popular on the internet.

This is interesting - you have any sources I could read about it?

I am 100% certain that the most important thing is what you get from your early years' environment... You can change it later but you won't be a 25 yr old millionaire...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted74338

This is interesting - you have any sources I could read about it?

I am 100% certain that the most important thing is what you get from your early years' environment... You can change it later but you won't be a 25 yr old millionaire...
There are quite a few sources on the internet saying that his father owned an emerald mine in Zambia, which he declines because its linked to apartheid, so you take that however you want. Besides that, his dad supposedly had a successful engineering business, and was a millionaire before the age 30. I don't really have many any sources at hand, but here's an article you can read: errol_musk (btw I don't know how reliable these sources are)

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
There are quite a few sources on the internet saying that his father owned an emerald mine in Zambia, which he declines because its linked to apartheid, so you take that however you want. Besides that, his dad supposedly had a successful engineering business, and was a millionaire before the age 30. I don't really have many any sources at hand, but here's an article you can read: errol_musk (btw I don't know how reliable these sources are)
You have a mentality that is very typical of Eastern Europeans. It’s based on jealousy of others. And that’s what motivates you to find reasons to discard his success. That’s BS man, and it’s paradoxically the reason you’re not successful... because you think you need a rich father.

Musk’s dad did not lift a finger to help him build Tesla, nor SpaceX, nor the Boring Company. In fact, Musk doesn’t even get along well with his dad. But his dad may have been an alpha male dad who programmed his kids for success by pushing them and challenging them. Which is why they don’t like him. Success ain’t easy.

Anyway, work on the mindset! Also, why are you not joining INSIDERS? If you hold onto your money, you will lose it! Invest it!

And no, I don’t think Musk is a genius, I just think he’s a hard, ruthless son of a bitch who gets the job done and never gives up. What you should be as well if you want to be successful. It doesn’t mean that you don’t help others and so on, but rather it means that you never give up and keep pushing and pushing and pushing. Steve Jobs was also a ruthless bastard. You would have hated working for him. So what? He got the job done!

Last edited:
D

Deleted74338

You have a mentality that is very typical of Eastern Europeans. It’s based on jealousy of others. And that’s what motivates you to find reasons to discard his success. That’s BS man, and it’s paradoxically the reason you’re not successful... because you think you need a rich father.

Musk’s dad did not lift a finger to help him build Tesla, nor SpaceX, nor the Boring Company. In fact, Musk doesn’t even get along well with his dad. But his dad may have been an alpha male dad who programmed his kids for success by pushing them and challenging them. Which is why they don’t like him. Success ain’t easy.

Anyway, work on the mindset! Also, why are you not joining INSIDERS? If you hold onto your money, you will lose it! Invest it!

And no, I don’t think Musk is a genius, I just think he’s a hard, ruthless son of a bitch who gets the job done and never gives up. What you should be as well if you want to be successful. It doesn’t mean that you don’t help others and so on, but rather it means that you never give up and keep pushing and pushing and pushing. Steve Jobs was also a ruthless bastard. You would have hated working for him. So what? He got the job done!
I don't think I am jealous, at least I try not to be. The thing is, the guy was destined for success, he grew up in a successful household. I think he never really had to struggle, and he had the ability to take risks because he could always go back and take daddy's money. They lived in Pretoria's most expensive suburb, so saying he had to struggle for one moment is a lie.

His dad might or might've not helped him, but the thing is you just operate with a different mindset when you know your dad is a millionaire. He could just do whatever the hell he wanted, because daddy is just 1 call away. Also, I believe that his father provided him money for Zip2, so saying he had absolutely no involvement is not true.

Just because Elon had it easier doesn't mean its holding me back or anything, I will still go forward and try to achieve my idea of success, and I don't think I need a rich father to be successful.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The thing is, the guy was destined for success, he grew up in a successful household. I think he never really had to struggle, and he had the ability to take risks because he could always go back and take daddy's money. They lived in Pretoria's most expensive suburb, so saying he had to struggle for one moment is a lie.
Yes, Elon came from a well to do family, as did Bill Gates. However, his “ability to take risks” has nothing to do with his family and their financial situation, but rather with his mindset. If YOUR dad had his dad’s money I’m not sure you’d take the same risks. Are you sure you wouldn’t be coasting thru life? Are you sure you wouldn’t head to the beach, get some bimbos, and live in high style?

I mean you’re from Romania. How many millionaire sons and daughters are there who WASTE their life and achieve NOTHING, ZERO despite it all?

I would actually say that in a way it’s harder to be a high performer and rich when you come from a wealthy family.

His dad might or might've not helped him, but the thing is you just operate with a different mindset when you know your dad is a millionaire. He could just do whatever the hell he wanted, because daddy is just 1 call away. Also, I believe that his father provided him money for Zip2, so saying he had absolutely no involvement is not true.

They got investor money for Zip2 as far as I know. He slept in his office. He showered at the YMCA. And no, you don’t operate on the mindset of being a badass high performer, whose afraid of nothing just because your family has money. That’s not how the mind works. There are many rich people who are afraid to take risks, afraid of losing what they’ve already gathered. And most importantly AFRAID OF SUFFERING AND PAYING THE PRICE FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE.

Do you HONESTLY think that if your dad had 1 million dollars you’d break your back working 18 hours a day?

It takes an almost inhuman thirst and burning desire for success to achieve what Musk has achieved. It takes a willingness to sacrifice EVERYTHING - your health, your time - EVERYTHING in the single-minded quest for massive wealth. It’s F*cking hard, it’s lonely, and people won’t understand you.

If your dad was rich, you’d still be crying that high performance is so F*cking hard, you work nonstop, 0 friends, etc. because it IS! And being rich or poor makes no difference. The only question is are you WILLING to bear the pain and suffer to build your empire? To pay the price?

Look it’s All in your head. You’re poor and you’re afraid that you can’t provide for your family. That fear is in your head. Get it out. Just don’t give a F*ck about it. Because in the end analysis it doesn’t matter. Just go for it, make your dreams true, stop being scared, what if this will not work, what if this will fail, etc etc. BE a BADASS!

And if you figure that’s not for you, fine. But some of us out there are willing to suffer and go through extreme pain for our dreams. And those are the ones who will make it. Bottom line is most people are not willing to sacrifice ANYTHING to be rich. NOTHING!

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.

FYI, all of these ‘reports and stories’ have been completely debunked / disproven.

If you’re going to talk trash about the richest man in the world, come correct.

Otherwise, you just sound like any other jealous hater online.

elon musk is a lot of things, but he’s also done what no one else has done, in history.
And he’s done it the way anyone who has been in business for themselves, can deeply respect.

D

Deleted74338

FYI, all of these ‘reports and stories’ have been completely debunked / disproven.

If you’re going to talk trash about the richest man in the world, come correct.

Otherwise, you just sound like any other jealous hater online.

elon musk is a lot of things, but he’s also done what no one else has done, in history.
And he’s done it the way anyone who has been in business for themselves, can deeply respect.
Please add your sources then, you should also come correct.

And what has Musk done exactly? In history? He is just a businessman as far as I know.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.

And what has Musk done exactly? In history? He is just a businessman as far as I know.

Here's an investigative journalist's report of each of your unsubstantiated claims.
(he's independent, not a corporate media 'journalist')

I Talked To Elon Musk About Journalism (March 9, 2021)

He interviewed Elon personally for this. A great quote from Elon was this:

“If people are going to dislike me, I’d prefer they do so for what I’ve actually done.” - Elon Musk

--
I have no dog in this fight. I don't own a Tesla, don't have shares in any of his companies.
The dude has:

a) Singlehandedly made electric cars cool and popular. He's reinvented not just that category of product, but HOW it's made. And, he's reinvented how they make the factories.
I'm involved in manufacturing the old fashioned way, what he is doing, is genius level.

b) They are autonomously landing rockets on a barge in the ocean. For pennies on the dollar of what no government or anyone else could ever do.

c) He's launching - right now - an entire low earth constellation of satellites to bring fast internet to the *entire world*

d) You realize he's building an entire company, and the technology to colonize MARS.

Do you know what B, C and D, have in common? They have never been done before in human history.
Elon is doing them, all of them - AT THE SAME TIME.

If you don't think he's doing orders of magnitude harder things than anyone else, there is nothing that will convince you.

@beswaax: I'm throwing you on ignore after this reply. I don't mean to be mean, but, you're posts are some of the most ignorant on this forum in years. You post lies about someone you don't know, and talk shit for - what reason?
I just don't have time for trolls without facts talking trash about successful business people on a forum about entrepreneurship.

Last edited:
D

Deleted74338

Here's an investigative journalist's report of each of your unsubstantiated claims.
(he's independent, not some guy working for corporate media)

“If people are going to dislike me, I’d prefer they do so for what I’ve actually done.” - Elon Musk

--
I have no dog in this fight. I don't own a Tesla, don't have shares in any of his companies.
The dude has:

a) singlehanded made electric cars cool and popular. He's reinvented not just that category of product, but HOW it's made. And, he's reinvented how they make the factories.
As a guy involved in manufacturing, what he is doing, is genius level.

b) They are autonomously landing rockets on a barge in the ocean. For pennies on the dollar of what no government or anyone else could ever do.

c) He's launching - right now - an entire low earth constellation of satellites to bring fast internet to the *entire world*

d) You realize he's building an entire company, and the technology to colonize MARS.

If you don't think he's doing orders of magnitude harder things than anyone else, there is nothing that will convince you.

@beswaax: I'm throwing you on ignore after this reply. I don't mean to be mean, but, you're the most ignorant poster I've seen on the internet in years. I just don't have time for trolls without facts talking shit on a forum about business and entrepreneurship.
You realise that is not debunking right? You retaliate with the same ammunition(or whatever its called). Articles found online. You never even said what exactly was wrong with my post. That emerald thing? I did not even base my opinion on that, I said take that however you want i.e he may have or may not have had an emerald mine. Why ignore the fact that his dad was a millionaire and had a successful business?

And mate, all the things you attributed to him are not done by him, you realise that right? They're done by people working for him. He may have helped Tesla because of his popularity atm but all the other stuff is engineers doing the actual work, making actual breakthroughs, not Musk.

How the hell am I ignorant? Just because I am open to different viewpoints and ideas? Whenever I bring up something that goes against the norm on this forum people get sensitive and get into immediate defensive-mode, and I am the one who is ignorant?

What exactly started this whole thing? The fact that I said he is a jerk who grew up rich and entitled and that he treats his employees like crap? Yeah, thats true. See how you guys get defensive about this?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
And mate, all the things you attributed to him are not done by him, you realise that right? They're done by people working for him. He may have helped Tesla because of his popularity atm but all the other stuff is engineers doing the actual work, making actual breakthroughs, not Musk.
And who is pushing those guys to get shit done? You think they naturally get shit done all by themselves? You try managing even one person, and you'll soon find out how tough it is to get people to do things.

The fact that I said he is a jerk who grew up rich and entitled and that he treats his employees like crap? Yeah, thats true.
Whether he treats his employees like crap is of no difference to me. Those guys obviously accept working there. Whether he grew up rich and entitled, is again, of no difference to me. The fact is he gets shit done. Probably gets more in a day done than all of us here put together :rofl:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWGWl10vuQ&ab_channel=Motivation2Study

Last edited:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada

What did Ford achieve in history? Just a business man right?

What has Bill Gates done? Just a programmer turned CEO?

And Steve Jobs? Another business man, isn't it?

Oh and all of them had people working for them. So that should diminish their accomplishment?

Whether or not he is a jerk, give credit where credit is due.

People forget how Musk was ridiculed for years on both Tesla and SpaceX. No many could withstand that pressure and keep going.

All businessmen, all wealthy, all humans could have tried to pull that off. Some did and failed.

What he has achieved is nothing short of extraordinary.

Also Musk invested his entire payout from PayPal (180 millions) in his companies... Would you have done the same? In a ventures that by your calculations will probably fail? How many do you think will do that?

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

it’s ironic that you’d post on a forum dedicated to business owners / entrepreneurs a diss of “he’s just a businessman”.
You don’t even know me and yet I feel you’ve just judged me with this comment. I employed people, yet I’m a nothing because by your comment I’m just a “businessman”.
Help me, please. Ignore Elon, just tell me - what do I need to do next to be a useful human in history? Better yet, do you mind sharing what you did?
Thanks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

How the hell am I ignorant?
How ironic.

OMG You are so ignorant that you wouldn’t even comprehend any explanation by us.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
What would you do if someone made 10 million people happy and successful
and kill with cold blood one.

I'm not sure how many of people here would understand this statement,
but i will leave it here.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Bash him, hate him, whatever, but you've got to admit he's helped push his companies/employees to much greater heights than they would ever have gone without him.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
What would you do if someone made 10 million people happy and successful
and kill with cold blood one.

I'm not sure how many of people here would understand this statement,
but i will leave it here.
Not sure what your point is.

What would you do if someone saved 10million people from death (let's say, by building a civilization on Mars, and taking them there when the big bad asteroid comes to wipe out earth, but when the rocket is just about ready to take off, he pushes his girlfriend out the window and kills her? We'd probably lock him up, for life, but in a nice padded cell.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
And who is pushing those guys to get shit done? You think they naturally get shit done all by themselves? You try managing even one person, and you'll soon find out how tough it is to get people to do things.

Whether he treats his employees like crap is of no difference to me. Those guys obviously accept working there. Whether he grew up rich and entitled, is again, of no difference to me. The fact is he gets shit done. Probably gets more in a day done than all of us here put together :rofl:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWGWl10vuQ&ab_channel=Motivation2Study
Thumbnail reminds me of Dan Pena now haha.
Guy is now calling himself the Trillion Dollar Man...did his students' deals reach that level THAT fast?

I miss his Castle Seminars (the live one, where actual people met together and had actual boxing matches with Pena as referee)

I noticed some of his students started taking real massive action...cue Brian Rose, who's now running for Mayor of London. It's something I did not expect Brian to do, even in such times.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
Elon is doing fine IMO.
take a look at the prior history of this person.
''Traffic is driving me nuts” and “am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging''
Everyone thinks it's crazy because they don't see the full picture.

On 5 July 2017, Musk repurchased the domain name X.com from PayPal
x.com simple shows a simple X when visited. Why does such a good domain go unused?

And why does he put so much emphasis in Dogecoin?
I think he truly wants to create a interplanetary token. People said he wouldn't build cars, said no rocket could ever launch. Now he's turned his attention on Dogecoin.

It's a meme currency. And that's exactly why he wants to make it a globally usable currency of it's own. Everyone looks at crypto as a store of value, I can exchange this token FOR pounds or dollars. But it could with enough support be it's own currency.

I might eat my words one day. I might be right. We'll see.
my bet is Dogecoin will be pushed as the interplanetary crypto, similar to the story Atlas with it's trade system.
Yeah he sounds nuts. Always has. doesn't mean he's wrong.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

That’s a lot of pessimism on Tesla! Big bet.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Who cares what Elon Musk says or does?

It's just celebrity worship, unless he's your boss or something.

The Musk power is big. His tweets move prices on Crypto. So in some small way, I care.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

The Musk power is big. His tweets move prices on Crypto. So in some small way, I care.
That's exactly why he tweets about crypto.

He manipulates the prices - and makes bank off of it.

All the big business celebrities do it. Mark Cuban is one who does this too, and now Graham Stephan and MeetKevin are doing it.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
(he's independent, not a corporate media 'journalist')

--
The dude has:

a) Singlehandedly made electric cars cool and popular. He's reinvented not just that category of product, but HOW it's made. And, he's reinvented how they make the factories.
I'm involved in manufacturing the old fashioned way, what he is doing, is genius level.

Do you know what B, C and D, have in common? They have never been done before in human history.
Elon is doing them, all of them - AT THE SAME TIME.

@beswaax: I'm throwing you on ignore after this reply. I don't mean to be mean, but, you're posts are some of the most ignorant on this forum in years. You post lies about someone you don't know, and talk shit for - what reason?
I just don't have time for trolls without facts talking trash about successful business people on a forum about entrepreneurship.
Seriously. Just take ONE of those companies. I'll pick the 'easiest.' His satellite based internet company has been done before, but incredibly poorly. He's looking at increasing the bandwidth by orders(!!!) of magnitude, and latency by an order of magnitude. All while making the thing insanely profitable. That's no easy feat. His closest competitor provides 50 GB total download capability

Someone complained to him a couple years ago: "what about space junk. You're going to be orbiting thousands of satellites."

Oh no problem, he responded. I'll just deorbit them at the end of their lift using their on-board ion thrusters.

"What about collisions? Thousands of satellites will overwhelm our current system of tracking satellite paths."

Oh no problem. I'll create an automated system that will track the positions of all of our satellites and use the built in ion-thrusters to move things out of the way so they don't hit each other. (Try developing that kind of software and see how far you get...)

But your satellites are ruining our telescopes on earth. They're too bright.

Oh no problem. I'll paint them with a deep-black paint so they don't reflect as much light.

etc.

There are geniuses and then there is Elon Musk.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.