The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's a good part time job so that one can focus on fast-lane activities?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

InstantNoodles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 1, 2014
I'm trying to think and I'm not really sure. I live a very frugal life. But I don't want to get a job at McD. A part time 20-30 hours would be perfect. Yes, I could get a full time 40 hours but that would be a distraction.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Working in the restaurant/bartending business can be very lucrative if you are willing to bust your a$$ and have the personality for it.

Perfect part-time gig IMO.

This.

Also, get a job in sales. Why sales? Sales is the MOST important skill you can learn for starting a business. Regardless of what your product/service/business is, you will need some proficiency in sales.

If you really want to get over any shortcomings of talking to people or fear of rejection, find a job at a call center doing outbound sales or, even better, door to door sales for the cable company.

G

GuestUser450

Big city or smaller town? Go where the money is. In smaller towns it's real estate, healthcare and home services. In a bigger city it's everywhere, but the server job that pays 6 figures is at a high end restaurant with cutthroat competition.

Not all sales is equal. Probably in the minority here but I wouldn't recommend commission-only sales unless it's a franchise or they have a training program.

For example, if you can get on as a "comfort advisor" for an hvac co., fish from a barrel selling credit to existing customers to replace their ac units, you can do 225k a year knowing embarrassing little about the technical side-but most sales rep positions throw you to the wolves because every dollar they spend on training you is one they might not make back.

There's nothing wrong with McD's but there's nothing forcing you to work there either.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
McDonald's has some of the best business processes on the freakin' planet and you don't want to work there?

Are you kidding me? Humble yourself. Seriously.

Any job that gets you interacting with the public or selling and pays the bills would work.

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
You could start a pretty strong ebay profile up with second hand stuff from charity shops (thrift stores in the US?)

I forgot to pack my work trousers in my bag for work after college once and found a brand new pair of black Armani jeans in a charity shop in an emergency (to wear for work). I bought them for like £7 and sold them on ebay for £35. Books can be bought super cheap as well.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Waiter, valet, bartender, or sales.

Anything that gets you talking to people or pays you in cash is good.

Bartender or sales are what I would try to do. I'd go the bartender route if I wanted to only work part-time. Bartend on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night and you could make the same amount working full time at McDonald's.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
I've worked in sales, and also as a server and a bartender in the 6 figure range.

I can give you a quick rundown:

Serving is demanding. physically and mentally. If you're looking to work the hours you want, don't expect it unless you get really good. Most likely they'll give you crap hours until you start getting pretty good. That being said the turnovers are high which makes entry not as difficult.

Bartending was demanding as well. Most likely you'll have to go in as a barback first. Employers know if you don't have experience by the way you pour and how fast your drinks come out. If you can't handle the volume they probably wont keep you around. (And if your going to work in the night scene, expect to get home around 3-4am) But this was also by far my most enjoyable job.

Sales was incredible, I still use the training they taught me even though the money I made was really bad. I spent more money on coffee's/lunches/gas. The training was really worth it though, but it also takes a lot of time to get your book of business going.. Or if you get into retail sales. Expect minimal training, weekly quotas. and longer hours =/

Either way any new job you get into you're going to have to focus on it so you can get it down. If you don't focus and you start messing up serving tables, they'll think twice about keeping you around. Or with Bartending, if you keep messing up your drinks and can't handle the bar they'll probably look for a replacement.. And also for sales if you can't consistently make your numbers, they'll let you go.

You only get to reap the benefits of working less hours or working the hours you want when you get really good at what you do..

But once you get there it's a pretty cool experience. I was making 70k working part time at my serving job. And even more than that as a bartender..

All that being said it's probably not as easy as how you think it's going to be.

(And if you ask me I wouldn't mind working at Mcdonalds just to see how they run things. I figured out how my previous employer opened up new restaurants and it was definitely an eye opener.)

Last edited:

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
I'd look into real estate. Helps you build a network that might help in your fastlane too. Not so sure you'll find those people while bartending or flipping burgers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

TonyFish6379

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 27, 2016
Kuwait
This.

Also, get a job in sales. Why sales? Sales is the MOST important skill you can learn for starting a business. Regardless of what your product/service/business is, you will need some proficiency in sales.

Perfect advice! This is the actual approach I have used. Identify your weakness and focus solely on it. It has been the best thing for me to earn, learn and prepare for the Fastlane pursuit!

Big city or smaller town? Go where the money is.

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Go where the money is!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------
If I may add @InstantNoodles - If your fastlane business is something web based and not tied to a physical presence, have you considered government contracting for a slowlane support system?

Being a civilian DoD contractor overseas:
1. Affords you the ability to earn a greater amount than a traditional J.O.B. in America
2. Has sufficient amounts of downtime (At Work and in your accommodations) for pursuit of "side" endeavors online
3. Usually located in areas where the money are.... Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Dubai, UAE & Saudi Arabia (Great networking)

Just my thoughts and 2 cents.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
They hiring?

A lot of restaurant jobs pay that. If you're willing to work crappy hours. Not to mention the majority of bartenders and servers I knew when I was younger would blow the money on alcohol the same night.

If you have the discipline to keep the money it's a decent job.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
The best job I had was in a warehouse. This was a few years back. I'd use a forklift and crane to store heavy equipment parts. Basically, I'd have the days work to do that was shipped in the night, and then reload the truck to be shipped out in the evening. So I'd get it done in the morning, and then my job was to sit around and wait around to see IF another shipment would come in, which rarely happened.

The result was that I was paid to sit in front of a computer on which I could do whatever I wanted. So I got paid $15 an hour to read Millionaire Fastlane - but I also could have been writing ebooks, writing code, designing web pages, etc.

Something like that would be ideal I think. Librarian, toll booth, warehouse - anywhere where somebody is basically paid 'just to be there'. Even my evening shift at Pizza Pizza was like that - why our franchisee decided to stay open until 11 after orders virtually stopped at 8, I have no idea.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For me, I had a few requirements:

A) Variable hours, preferably evenings or early mornings so I can work a business during the day.
B) Paid enough to take care of the bills while I grind other things.
C) Job had to be no threat to my entrepreneurial dreams.

If the job did A, B, and C, I considered it. And I didn't care what it was.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
You can sock away money and learn people skills as a server/bartender, but there's more than just money to consider, IMHO.

If you can find a business small enough that even a lower level job puts you in the same building as the person that started/runs the company, keep your eyes and ears open, and make yourself available and willing to do whatever/whenever, you'll get an education that will pay dividends for the rest of your life.

I still consider the first start up that I worked for, that went down in massive flames of glory, to be the most valuable life/business experience I've ever had. I wouldn't replace it for the world, even though the pay was shit.

EDIT: I was broke as a mofo when that company went down, but because the experience had taught me to think, network, and scrap, I went from an unemployed guy that didn't know where the rent was coming from to an unemployed guy with 5 figures in the bank in about 3 months. Knowledge and ability are a form of capital too.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA

100% agree with this. My life hack when I was a server/bartender back in the day was to make DAILY trips to the bank to deposit my cash. Seriously, without fail, go to the bank every day (the days after you work) and put your money in the bank. It's way too easy to just grab wads of cash to go to the mall or out with friends or whatever. But when you see your bank balance climbing, it really helps keep you motivated to hang onto your money instead of spending it.

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
A lot of restaurant jobs pay that. If you're willing to work crappy hours. Not to mention the majority of bartenders and servers I knew when I was younger would blow the money on alcohol the same night.

I wouldn't say a lot, but if you do go to the right places you will find them. Typically the higher the pay, the higher the physical demand though.

You'll also have to learn not to get comfortable with your pay. Getting comfortable kills your drive. (But I guess that's with every job)

And yeah, I was one of those that blew all my money.. Until I quit drinking. :)

100% agree with this. My life hack when I was a server/bartender back in the day was to make DAILY trips to the bank to deposit my cash. Seriously, without fail, go to the bank every day (the days after you work) and put your money in the bank. It's way too easy to just grab wads of cash to go to the mall or out with friends or whatever. But when you see your bank balance climbing, it really helps keep you motivated to hang onto your money instead of spending it.

Same here, I used to be really good at spending 100-200+ on a week night until I started tracking my tips. Blowing all your money also gets old after a while

I still consider the first start up that I worked for, that went down in massive flames of glory, to be the most valuable life/business experience I've ever had. I wouldn't replace it for the world, even though the pay was shit.

EDIT: I was broke as a mofo when that company went down, but because the experience had taught me to think, network, and scrap, I went from an unemployed guy that didn't know where the rent was coming from to an unemployed guy with 5 figures in the bank in about 3 months. Knowledge and ability are a form of capital too.

Totally agree with you. My first job in insurance sales was most influential to me. I worked at it for 2 years, making shit money. But I learned to get things done by myself, get outside my comfort zone, and push past what I thought wasn't possible.

That led me into multiple businesses that I tried to start up and eventually failed. But I learned to keep pressing on. Now I've combined all my past experiences together, and I finally feel like I'm working on something that makes sense

Harryhustler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 14, 2017
England
Just reading through this some great ideas! Been offered a job 12am-8am meaning I can work on my business in the day however I'm unsure how much it's gonna screw up my sleeping pattern and possibly make me less productive anyone got any experience with this?

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
McDonald's has some of the best business processes on the freakin' planet and you don't want to work there?

Are you kidding me? Humble yourself. Seriously.

Any job that gets you interacting with the public or selling and pays the bills would work.
That's true but their pay is shit. He is asking for a part time job that he can work for 30 hours and still make enough to pay for the roof over his head and food on his table. You are not going to get that from working at McDonalds.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
Just reading through this some great ideas! Been offered a job 12am-8am meaning I can work on my business in the day however I'm unsure how much it's gonna screw up my sleeping pattern and possibly make me less productive anyone got any experience with this?
I used to get up at 3am as a student to go work at 3:30-4 till 2pm. Then I tried to go to college. Well college didn't go very well that one year. It will screw your brain very much. I could not retain any information. Body wise I was fine but the brain was foggy from the lack of sleep.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Warehousing!

1. It is mindless labour that pays well (at least in Canada, you get $20+/hr, which should easily cover the bills). This keeps your brain free to brainstorm ideas all day
  2. It is free exercise through the day. A healthy body leads to a healthy mind. Stagnation of either will kill you
  3. When you are done work you are done! It is not like a corporate dream-killing-job that you are forced to take home with you

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
I'm a valet/bellman in a tourist town. Easy money. I move bags and park nice cars. Keeps me in pretty good shape as well.

I get to interact with so many different types of people every day. My resort even has some millionaires and even a billionaire resident that I get to rub shoulders with on a regular basis.

The only bad thing about the job is the public perception. Being a valet isn't necessarily a respected job, so on occasion, there are people that will talk down to me and treat me like "the help." Screw those people though.

I'm making enough money to support my family, and I can leave work without any baggage so I can continue to learn and build a business.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Warehousing!

1. It is mindless labour that pays well (at least in Canada, you get $20+/hr, which should easily cover the bills). This keeps your brain free to brainstorm ideas all day
  2. It is free exercise through the day. A healthy body leads to a healthy mind. Stagnation of either will kill you
  3. When you are done work you are done! It is not like a corporate dream-killing-job that you are forced to take home with you
That's exactly the kind of job I'm looking to get. I just quit my crappy Dish network job where I was working 60+ hours a week. Hard to work on Fastlane stuff when you're tired as hell.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
My two cents: A call centre!

As I write I'm working in a call centre with one screen for my calls and one screen for my Fastlane and App Research! Its not always quiet but its where I get most of my Market Research done these days!

There's not too many jobs where you can actually work on your Fastlane Ideas and get paid for it...

NB: Online Chat Service or Sales Agent is the best. You have lots of time between chat responses...

Also the actual Sales experience is definitely useful as others have reported!

ABC! :)

Attachments

• ABClosing.png
    ABClosing.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 2

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm a valet/bellman in a tourist town. Easy money. I move bags and park nice cars. Keeps me in pretty good shape as well.

I get to interact with so many different types of people every day. My resort even has some millionaires and even a billionaire resident that I get to rub shoulders with on a regular basis.

The only bad thing about the job is the public perception. Being a valet isn't necessarily a respected job, so on occasion, there are people that will talk down to me and treat me like "the help." Screw those people though.

I'm making enough money to support my family, and I can leave work without any baggage so I can continue to learn and build a business.

Joe, do not let those rude people get you down.... I hate those kind! I'm quite sure I have WAY more money than anyone I've ever delivered a washer & dryer to and some of them treat me like hired help because I'm the washer & dryer guy. It used to happen in the house cleaning business too. Just hold your head high and keep on keeping on. Money doesn't make a great person, personality makes a great person.

Back to the OP's question, I really like buying and selling but, if you are in a good sized town and you have a pickup or a car with a trailer, get jobs transporting things that people buy from stores, garage sales, Facebook, Craigslist... where ever...... You can charge a minimum $50 an hour. If you don't have a pickup and can't get a trailer.... I love that buying low and selling high way of life. Go to thrift stores and garage sales and you can make $500 a week easy. Double and triple that if you put some effort in to it.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
The result was that I was paid to sit in front of a computer on which I could do whatever I wanted. So I got paid $15 an hour to read Millionaire Fastlane - but I also could have been writing ebooks, writing code, designing web pages, etc.

Something like that would be ideal I think. Librarian, toll booth, warehouse - anywhere where somebody is basically paid 'just to be there'. Even my evening shift at Pizza Pizza was like that - why our franchisee decided to stay open until 11 after orders virtually stopped at 8, I have no idea.

I was going to say toll booth as well, or security. Also marketing, where you can be doing a lot of research and everyone just assumes its for a client.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.