The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

AlphaWulf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Aug 8, 2016
Since I'm only 21, I'll tell my 25 year old self: "F*cking enjoy the fruits of all my labor! I'm working my a$$ off so that you can have the life you deserve so don't waste it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
Don't trust your any girlfriend
Don't buy Lamborghini's
Find a stable place that you like to live
No place is perfect

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'm 25 now, but if I would tell my 21 year old self something it'd be

1) quit drinking sooner.
2) hard work is the secret to success
3) you don't need to feel a certain emotion to get things done. Get things done and the emotion follows. (passion)

But then again, I'm grateful for everything that I've been through to learn those lessons. It's made me who I am today and I feel like I'm on a good path. :)

Jeannieadele

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Mar 14, 2017
Washingtion
Everything in life is temporary. Failures will pass. Successes will pass. Be present in each moment for they will continue to pass.

With that in mind, DO NOT let fear win. Have courage and believe in your ability to achieve anything you set your mind to.

Your health, mental, emotional and physical, are the most important thing.

Keep your heart open with loving-kindness to all.

Do not stop expanding your knowledge.

Do not stop pursuing your dreams.

You can do it. I believe in you.

(Advice to my future 25yr old self.)

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
I'm 24 now, hopefully by the time I'm 25 I'll be telling myself:

- All that new found love of reading has paid off
- You're debt free
- You're building a successful business
- You no longer have braces!!!
- You can enjoy this well deserved holiday

And last but not least
- SCALE!!

I'm building my future right now. I've started a bit later than I would have liked, but TFM has opened my eyes and right now i'm reading Ashlee Vance's book on Elon Musk (great read so far!). Reading has really made my life more meaningful.

The Merry Mystic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 18, 2017
England
Refuse to judge yourself for the time already wasted, that was in ignorance, now you know, no excuses from now on.
Thank you Dave, very insightful. I beat myself up a lot for wasted time but it doesn't help in any measure. Funny how we can be forgiving of others much easier than ourselves.

The Merry Mystic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 18, 2017
England
There is no substitute for money. You have to earn it, which builds discipline. If you have any doubt about your lifestyle, please remember that men age differently to women. Women only have ~5 / 6 years of sexual prime (18-24), after which they begin to decline. Men's sexual prime starts after 30 and keeps growing until maybe 55 (or more). This is why you see many older men with young women. As a guy, you don't need to be partying at 18 - you should be working. Men have it totally different to women - work in your 20's and party in your 30's.
Someone's been reading some Rollo Tomassi! ;) There's truth to work first, play later but it's got to be balanced thoughout your 20s in my opinion. Women can biologically last a while without needing sex but men go half crazy without it (black dragon blog, fantastic resource).

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Would my 25 year old self be capable of listening anyway?

For me, I'd want to let my 25 year old self know that you're on the right track.

That being you and helping people with no expectation of anything in return will be the makings of you.

I'd tell myself to not wait so long to have kids, they will bring you so much joy.

To not ride motorbikes because, whilst you won't know when you're dead, you'd absolutely break your parents hearts. Think more about your poor parents.

That when you have kids you'll get an inkling of what your parents did for you.

I'd tell myself to visit my parents and brother a whole lot more.

To NOT plan to travel the world, because everything you need is close to home.

To avoid people that made you feel you can't be yourself - this will delay you being youself for decades.

To not agonise over the details.

That there is no such thing as failing, only learning.

Unless you put your hand in the same fire twice - that's just dumb.

That it's all part of the rich tapestry of life.

To never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest to you. (Mother Theresa)

To not spend so long doing the same thing as an IT contractor. Your personal and professional growth will stagnate.

To enjoy the journey.

To appreciate each and every moment.

That nothing's so bad you can't F*ck it up more by doing something stupid to try and fix it.

That people don't notice all the little things you do wrong. They're too preoccupied with themselves.

That people don't notice all the little things you do right. They're too preoccupied with themselves.

Don't listen to anything from people who start sentences with "You need to", "You must", "You should", or "You have to".

To pay more attention to how old folks let you make mistakes...because the people who've walked the walk know you're travelling your own path (and therefore don't start sentences with red flag phrases mentioned above).

Take deeper breaths.

Occasionally slow the F*ck down and take a moment to feel the wind on your cheek and watch the birds in the sky.

You don't need to be an expert.

To be interesting, be interested.

Keep moving.

It doesn't get easier. You get stronger.

Ask people how they're doing.

Look people in the eye when you say sorry.

The bigger man can say sorry.

Muscles doesn't mean you're strong.

You *can* do public speaking.

Stories rock. Keep filing them away.

We're all so unique and interesting.

Keep asking questions. People love it, and they open up like flowers.

Your CV isn't about you, but about what *they* want.

Learn how to help local business owners earlier... you're not going to like corporate life.

One day people will be able to work from home and start businesses from home. You'll love it, so don't worry about spending a few years in a cubicle.

Playing poker is like collecting stamps, it's not a glamorous and exciting sport like skiing.

Playing poker is another hourly rate j.o.b. and you're never going to be any good at it as you think in straight lines not onion layers.

Social media is just more of the same. Treat people like people and it doesn't matter the medium.

To get started in business, spend your money on diesel and coffee.

There are people out there who will try to convince you that you don't know enough, aren't good enough, or are plain old not enough. Because you'll then buy their product.

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.

You already know enough.

You're already good enough.

You are enough. Because you say you are.

Now go.

Start.

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015

For me, I'd want to let my 25 year old self know that you're on the right track.

That being you and helping people with no expectation of anything in return will be the makings of you.

I'd tell myself to not wait so long to have kids, they will bring you so much joy.

To not ride motorbikes because, whilst you won't know when you're dead, you'd absolutely break your parents hearts. Think more about your poor parents.

To avoid people that made me feel I can't be myself - this will delay you being youself for decades.

To never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest to you. (Mother Theresa)

To not spend so long doing the same thing as an IT contractor. Your personal and professional growth will stagnate.

To enjoy the journey.

That nothing's so bad you can F*ck it up more by doing something stupid to try and fix it.

That people don't notice all the little things you do wrong. They're too preoccupied with themselves.

That people don't notice all the little things you do right. They're too preoccupied with themselves.

Don't listen to anything from people who start sentences with "You need to", "You must", "You should", or "You have to".

To pay more attention to how old folks let you make mistakes...because the people who've walked the walk know you're travelling your own path (and therefore don't start sentences with red flag phrases mentioned above).

Take deeper breathes.

Occasionally slow the F*ck down and take a moment to feel the wind on your cheek and watch the birds in the sky.

Keep moving.

Learn how to help local business owners earlier... you're not going to like corporate life.

One day people will be able to work from home and start businesses from home. You'll love it, so don't worry about spending a few years in a cubicle.

Playing poker is like collecting stamps, it's not a glamorous and exciting sport like skiing.

Playing poker is another hourly rate j.o.b. and you're never going to be any good at it as you think in straight lines not onion layers.

Social media is just more of the same. Treat people like people and it doesn't matter the medium.

Spend your money on diesel and coffee.

There are people out there who will try to convince you that you don't know enough, aren't good enough, or are plain old not enough. Because you'll then buy their product.

You already know enough.

Now go.

Start.

Legendary. Resonating so much with me.

LRG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
363%
Apr 14, 2016

To avoid people that made me feel I can't be myself - this will delay you being youself for decades.

To enjoy the journey.

That nothing's so bad you can't F*ck it up more by doing something stupid to try and fix it.

Take deeper breathes.

Keep moving.

To get started in business, spend your money on diesel and coffee.

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.

You already know enough.

Now go.

Start.

OMG so many Andy Black quotes in one post. Thank you, Andy! Rep+

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
I would say this to my 25 year old self:

- stop smoking, you smell really back at elevators and it will give you GERD and almost got your into an accident
- listen to that small voice that keeps you up all night
- spend more time with your parent's, they're getting older
- never trust anyone to handle your money for you
- keep it up with learning about finances
- JOIN the FASTLANE FORUM when it started
- you will fail a lot but learn from those failures
- don't be stubborn, you don't know everything
- expect that people think different as you and when they do, don't get frustrated
- don't forget to exercise
- don't forget the value of meeting new people and networking
- always do your due diligence in anything you would like to invest on

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
For you 25 yr old+ guys out there, if you could go back in time, and tell your 25 year old self something, what would you say?

you know, time is running fast

i just looked at pictures of me which were taken on 02 05 2008

nearly ten years ago

then i asked myself " if i could go back in time and say something to my young self, what would i say ?"

the answer might surprise you

but this is the only answer wich matters to be rich with 100 % certainty 10 years later on 09 25 2017

any guess ?

i would tell me the lottery numbers of the french lottery instead of life advices !!

because life advices are useless

remember the almanach in the movie " back to the future " ?

the grandpa didn't come back to give life advices to his young self !!

instead he gave himself the almanac with the lottery numbers

so he could become rich in the years ahead !

almanac.jpg

so what's my point ?

most life advices don't lead anywhere

the only thing that matters is your taking action now, this very moment, not searching for life advices.

M Eve

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 6, 2015
I'm currently 25 and if I saw my younger self after I'd done kicking the hell out of me the things I'd say:

Family is the most valuable thing you can have. You can choose your friends and enemies but you can't choose your family.

That girl in your dreams she does exist and you make her very happy.

F*ck 'friends' they will only drag you down and belittle you in anyway they can.

Pick up a book and read it.

Get your arse down to the library and start learning rather than waiting whilst in a soul sucking job waiting for your brain to wake up and say 'there has to be more'.

Listen to people more and keep showing respect to them and be friendly and nice to them.

You have a voice and confidence so stop being as quiet as a mouse.

Get in shape and hit the gym health is more important.

F*ck the bullies they will soon get a dose of karma.

Don't be a fake you be the real you it's so much better.

Learn more by talking and asking questions.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Get up off your a$$.

The list could go on and on.

xoxojbelle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'm turning 25 next year, but I'd tell my 20 year old self to stay away from student loans, work my way through college, and keep to myself.
Those boyfriends and friends I had in those days were terrible wastes of time.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Put in WORK now, you never know if the future holds a tragedy that'll throw you off. PUT IN WORK

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I'm 25, but one thing I would tell my younger self is this : it's never too late.

It's never too late to get in shape...
It's never too late to start a business....
It's never too late to learn a new skill...etc

Alma Zamarly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Dec 25, 2017
US
Hmm... maybe I would say...

1. Buy Bitcoin and hold it
2. Focus only 1 thing that you love most to do. Do not mix around 2-3 works then in the end nothing work has done
3. Get married.

96wells

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 25, 2017
virginia
I just turned 25 two weeks ago. Advice I would give myself at 18. I remember you struggling about going to college. These advices will make your time easier.

Good job. Don't hate yourself for what you could of done.

Heres a bit on how to get stuff done and stop procrastination:

Momentum: If you feel overwhelmed just start with one step in any positive direction. You need to gain momentum with something familiar and small, establish a process or habit or ritual (it's just how your brain works).

Thinking too much about your past? You won't be persistent if you keep thinking about the bad things.

Self-Forgiveness: Your environment dictate a lot of your behaviors. If you cannot change something then don't worry about it, but plan for when you're able. After, focus on now because it is the only time frame to take action. You can learn from the past, plan for the future, but you can only take action now.

A very important thing is your video game addiction...

Addiction: To quit video games simply cut the power cord of your computer and replace it with something less addicting like music or television or socialization. It's better to be addicted to television since your attention is more freed up.

Take the loss. (repeat this aloud)

It's better to never start an addiction but you cannot change the past. For the future, not all experiences are worth having, not all cycles are worth repeating. I'll tell you what's not worth having,

Gambling,
Pointless sex,
Bad friends,
Drugs, Alcohol excessively,

You're giving up control. Listen...

Sometimes you cannot help the fate you're dealt with. Sometimes you just didn't have the self-knowledge you gain from experience or second hand knowledge. Not all people are motivated by the same things, have the same capabilities, or start off at some sort of baseline.

Pray that you have the wisdom and process to not relapse.

A good thing to help with addiction is to have a support group, so you have to start treating people better...

Treating People: You don't need to be alpha or beta. From your own sufferings you will learn a base level of kindness to avoid unnecessary trouble and afterthought.

What you should learn is the ability to communicate honestly and trust yourself to do so. That way there would be less misunderstandings and troubled thoughts, let them free more.

You did get a job and that helped with the social isolation, one thing you learned is self reliance. It changed your brain and made you feel happier...

Self Reliance: At one point in your job you would realize that you are capable of doing most things by yourself. A marine would say to you, 'you see, he just learns by watching.'

Good job. You don't have debt, you never married, never did drugs or gambled... unfortunately I'm not sure about your health.

You have taken steps to building an ecommerce business and might take a freelance job to support it. I hope you get your job as a police officer so you get more experience and money to support your dreams.

Ok OK I know you thought about ecommerce at 18 but seriously, there is so much more knowledge out there now. Don't kill yourself thinking you could do it at 18. It's much easier to do it now. I just cannot explain it, your mental hurdle was too great and you didn't have shitty experiences to justify your self actions....

I hope you make it one day and achieve your dreams. I am still hoping and doing...

A few worth mentioning on people.

Everyone can make it, it's not a zero sum game.

Jealousy is a psychosis, a symptom of ignorance.

Refrain from reaching conclusions based on appearances.

Most of the time it is not about you. Don't take things personally, just ignore and move away or understand more.

This one is a game changer but it's hard, but here goes:
What you eat matters. It could change your whole perception about the world.

Triumph and Suffering: Ok last thing, the point about treating people better. You need to see triumph and suffering as the same. What I mean? Don't greatly exaggerate someone's success and start getting wide eyed about how that person can better your life etc. You will not only feel guilty about your own situation by comparison, most people would avoid you thinking you're parasitic.

It is a symptom of keeping your thoughts to yourself. You're reaching conclusions based on the superficial. You're not testing.

You can't help it. It is only natural to gain a better place. But, you can focus on what you can do instead of what other people can do. You can take small steps toward your own success. You can start caring about others and express that in words. Take self responsibility for your own success. Have some control. You'll want control after seeing so many people making stuff up.

Listen, if you truly don't give a f then you truly don't care if you're nice neither. You trust your own instincts and voices and you express yourself.

Be genuine. Even if other people accuse you, that have more to do with them than with you.

Last edited:

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
She's worth quitting for.

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
25 yr old+ guys out there, if you could go back in time, and tell your 25 year old self something, what would you say?
Keep the day job. Grunge is passing Cobain just died. Seattle real estate is going to up in the next two years. Buy a house or two. Rent one if you have to. Invest a little in the early phase of .coms. Get ready for a interesting life.

Bennu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Apr 19, 2018
I don't think my 25 year old self would have listened to current day me. But, I'd want to tell them what I've learned about relationships, travel, and how money is not an evil, but a tool. It's not like things will fall into your lap if you just "om" hard enough. Also, all that woo...let it go. The universe is amazing as it is without having to add any beliefs on top of it. There will never be a shortage of things to learn.

I'd condense the wisdom of the books Vagabonding, The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck, and Millionaire Fastlane as concisely as I could, and hope that it stuck once that kid came down off his acid trip.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
- Dont wait for approval from anyone ..parents,college professors,media,society anything.Find your own path .Be a light unto yourself.
- If you dont know something ...figure it out yourself and keep working towards your goal.
- College/Degrees are huge waste of your time.
- Loosen up and Enjoy .
- Read
- This line is quite true:
You are the average of the five people you most associate with.
Choose your friends/wife/GF/people you hangout with wisely .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.