The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I would say tell other people to mind their own business, be an entrepreneur, and be happy. :) So much bad advice given.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aurora Stano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2015
Refuse to judge yourself for the time already wasted, that was in ignorance, now you know, no excuses from now on.

I love it. I'm actually 24 years old and sometimes I think about the wasted time. From now I just want to think about my present and about all the projects I have for my future. The past is the past.

Aurora Stano

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2015
Refuse to judge yourself for the time already wasted, that was in ignorance, now you know, no excuses from now on.

I love it. I'm actually 24 years old and sometimes I think about the wasted time. From now I just want to think about my present and about all the projects I have for my future. The past is the past.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Today is my 28th Birthday. I would tell my 25 y/o self to read this thread first of all.. Then I would say..

Focus

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Just finished reading this thread, thanks to everybody who posted!

Here's my new wallpaper, full credit goes to everyone quoted

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 175

arukomp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Oct 19, 2015
Vilnius, Lithuania
I will make sure by the time I get to 25 I will congratulate myself rather than try to invent a time machine to go back and slap my old self. Although that'd be a pretty nice invention I'd say...

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

yes

but anyway, we can't escape adversity and average beginnings in life

because that's part of life.

that's part of the " process" toward the " event" of success, as MJ says.

all these good advices won't help young people so much

because you have to have the ability to understand them and feel them.

logic is not enough. Experience of life , emotions and feeling are needed

because people don't act on logic as any salesman will tell us.

people act on emotions

MJ talks about his lamborghini encounter that changed his life.

that's emotion at work : " i want to be free ! i want that car ! "

this is not academic logic. this is life energy

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Lol 25 hear and reading this too, and I just can't stop slapping myself in the face, I'm still making so many mistakes...

I know failure and mistakes are regarded as some noble thing these days, but the regret is just overwhelming, especially for all the time I've wasted and all the neurotic behavior I'm going through...

eribruski

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 29, 2012
Toronto, ON
Shit, well I'm 27 now, but if I could tell my 25 year old self something it would be:

Cut your losses and SELL YOUR F**KING RESTAURANT! (I still own my restaurant present day LOL)

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Never stop learning... ever

you can learn by reading.
but reading is not enough, you must learn through action.
you don't know what you don't know. you may think you know, but only action will reveal the true answer.
seek the answers through action
keep digging
...and keep learning

your job is only making someone else money, and has created an artificial ceiling on what you can accomplish. get rid of that ceiling and fly.

my 25 year old self would have listened and understood. my 20 year old self wouldn't have. 24 is when I stopped being depressed, lost a bunch of weight, and chose happiness. Best decision I've ever made.

This is my first post in this gold mine of a website, I have been reading posts for a fortnight or so. I have been taking in all the info and saw this post. To keep it short I'm 25 in a week, couple failed businesses (my own fault) and more than a few pounds gained (not pounds sterling), anti depressants, minimum wage job. I feel I'v hit the same point as scott and I'v got a fire in my belly that had been put out for at least 2 years. I want to thank everyone for all this beautiful information I am certainly taking away all I can. also now that I have found this forum I have 0 excuses :)

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Do any of you fellas wish you would have learn to code or copywrite when you were younger? I'm trying to figure out which path I should follow, Ice Cream Kid's thread "No Network? No Money? No Idea? No Education? No Problem!" seems like a gold mine for a younger one like me to use as blueprint to begin his fastlane jouurney. I should definitely utilize before I end up being 25 wishing I started now.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Do any of you fellas wish you would have learn to code or copywrite when you were younger? I'm trying to figure out which path I should follow, Ice Cream Kid's thread "No Network? No Money? No Idea? No Education? No Problem!" seems like a gold mine for a younger one like me to use as blueprint to begin his fastlane jouurney. I should definitely utilize before I end up being 25 wishing I started now.

By the time I was 25, I had received my Master's Degree in Computer Science, and working at a job that paid 30,000 for testing. If I had the opportunity to redo that period in my life, I would go to Stanford for the Symbolic Systems degree (which is incredibly interesting), and minored in business, focusing on marketing. I would also have focused on my health and social life. Lessons learned.

In your case, unless you really love to code, I'd recommend copy writing. You'll not only get a useful skill, you'll learn about marketing.

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
By the time I was 25, I had received my Master's Degree in Computer Science, and working at a job that paid 30,000 for testing. If I had the opportunity to redo that period in my life, I would go to Stanford for the Symbolic Systems degree (which is incredibly interesting), and minored in business, focusing on marketing. I would also have focused on my health and social life. Lessons learned.

In your case, unless you really love to code, I'd recommend copy writing. You'll not only get a useful skill, you'll learn about marketing.
Well that sounds like a good life so far! You should be proud of it, sounds like you worked your a$$ off. Thank you for the feedback and advice!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Well that sounds like a good life so far! You should be proud of it, sounds like you worked your a$$ off. Thank you for the feedback and advice!

Thanks, although I wouldn't be on a forum for entrepreneurship if I was completely happy with my path in life.

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Thanks, although I wouldn't be on a forum for entrepreneurship if I was completely happy with my path in life.
Yeah I know what you mean, most people in my shoes would be completely happy with their life (19yo Apprentice electrician making $27 an hour, 40hr a week) , but I know there's so much more freedom to be had. That's why I wanna speed into the fast lane at a young age. So I think learning how to copy should be my first mission. After I finish up reading Think and Grow Rich as well as Re-read The Millionaire Fastlane

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I learned to code on a Commodore 64...

Should have kept that thing!

Things have changed a bit since then lol

Now to what would I tell my 25 year old self...

She's not right for you and is holding you back, easy on the alcohol, and those kids are the most important thing in your life...

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I would say; even though it seems pointless now, get into the internet, start learning more and for the love of Pete, stop taking ecstasy every weekend. You're never going to be a professional footballer, you are not dedicated and let's face it, good enough.

What's more, half the people you hang out with have trust funds and that's why they're breezing through life; what's your excuse? Basically if you don't listen to me now, you're going to be coming up to your mid-forties wondering why you're such a massive loser and you'll try and correct it, but it will probably be too late. That won't stop you though, you'll keep going and probably end up full of bitter regret.

You'll have a wife and a kid, who you'll love and you'll die inside every time you realise you're bringing up your daughter in the same impoverished conditions you grew up in. You won't have all the time you have now but you'll use it ten times more efficiently and you'll think back and wish you had used your time like that when you were 25, because you'd be a F*cking millionaire by now.

In short, don't be such a F*ckwit.

Oh and there is something called the pick up community, you could use a few of their techniques, look them up.

Then I would slap my younger self upside his head with a copy of TMF and say; if you don't believe me, read that..

MAU

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Mar 10, 2016
Silver Spring Maryland
Endure more but put up with less...

Looking back I found that in some areas where I was pushing hard for a long time, I gave up right before the pay off. so I would say endure just a little longer than you think you can in a productive situation.

Putting up with less comes from the fact that I have been in dead end jobs, relationships and training that I knew was going nowhere but decided to stick it out because of the comfort level it afforded me. The minute you realize your efforts are futile in determining a situation's outcome, get out.

MAU

dedroc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
Jul 6, 2016
NJ
Bump.

I’m not 25 yet - but I would remind him that when first starting out in anything, admit you know nothing and to learn from those who are where you want to be.

Being in the 1% doesn’t have to only be about money. Remember that guy from school who got along with everybody and was well liked? That guy in my opinion is part of the 1%. Provide value to everyone you come in contact with big or small.

Treat your family with respect. It doesn’t matter that they don’t share the same ambitions as you, family is everything.

seanjohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 15, 2012
Stop tip-toeing and doing the basics just to "get by" like your parents did. There's a reason they're still in debt and miserable, living paycheck to paycheck.

You're single and have minimal expenses. Even if you fail, rent is cheap and ramen noodles can be tasty.

Now is the time to be fearless. Crush out projects and make a dent in the universe.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Why is everyone so mad at themselves? In 5 years from now you'll probably want to tell yourself how stupid you were 5 years ago.

Last edited:

lifese

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 28, 2016
Just say "NO" to Amway. Would have saved hundreds and 6 months of my life. :bored: (Actually I was 21, not 25, but you know what I mean.)

:inpain:
They hit me up the other day and gave me vague information and sent me to a seminar. I went to see what this business plan was. After the seminar I told the guy this isnt your own business. It's an affiliate marketing program with a shit ton of restrictions, stunted growth, and full of direct marketing foot soldiers like you.....and NOT me. So, I left.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Live life with zest.
Do what you enjoy.
You create your life and your reality. Be happy with it.
Listen to your instincts.
Nobody else is the cause of your problems.
Experience all that you want from life.
Thanks @Roots for the reminder. It looks like my past "self" is better at giving me instructions than my future self.

I needed the reminder that "Nobody else is the cause of your problems". :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.