The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What types of info can be used when selling a product?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm in the process of creating a website that sells a product manufactured by a different company. They have their own website selling this product, but I will be marketing towards NEW customers, not trying to steal theirs.

On my site, what will I be allowed to use from them? Can I use their pictures? Can I
"copy" their information pages (about the product, not business)?

Basically, what I am asking is what is protected or restricted for me to use and what isn't?

Sorry for the potentially confusing wording. Wanted to post this quickly so I can get back to work on the business plan! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I would think that you would need to be authorized to sell their product, or somehow repackage/reformulate the product to make it your own so there is no tradmark or patent issues. ...Of course, this is a little tricky since you are being vague. ;)

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
You should ask that company. Every company has a different set of rules and regulations.

Could you private label this product?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Haha...I apologize.

I have already spoken with the company that manufactures the product, and I won't be the only seller of this. I called the company before, but the representative I'd been in contact with was unable to take the call so now I'm waiting for him to call me back. I'll see what information he has regarding this.

I'm pretty certain the product/idea is patented. If the name is trademarked/registered (I don't quite know what to call it), am I allowed to use it in the name of my business and/or website? For instance, if I'm selling only Poland Spring water, am I allowed to call myself "Pure Poland Spring Water" or run through the website "www.PurePolandSpringWater.com"?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Looks like the best answer will be found through the company.

I'm waiting for the reprentative to call me. I trust his word, but I know that's not always good enough. Is there any specific document (or set of docs) I should ask for that would contain this information?

Thanks for the help, btw!

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
I googled product resellers guidelines and got links to dozens of websites re dozens of different products and companies. You might find a written guideline this way if the rep does not get the info back to you quickly enough.
Janet

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.