• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

What types of info can be used when selling a product?

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by Yankees338, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $178
    I'm in the process of creating a website that sells a product manufactured by a different company. They have their own website selling this product, but I will be marketing towards NEW customers, not trying to steal theirs.

On my site, what will I be allowed to use from them? Can I use their pictures? Can I
    "copy" their information pages (about the product, not business)?

Basically, what I am asking is what is protected or restricted for me to use and what isn't?

Sorry for the potentially confusing wording. Wanted to post this quickly so I can get back to work on the business plan! :)

2. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,708
    I would think that you would need to be authorized to sell their product, or somehow repackage/reformulate the product to make it your own so there is no tradmark or patent issues. ...Of course, this is a little tricky since you are being vague. ;)

3. Peter2

Peter2 Fastane Legend. RIP.

Rep Bank:
    $10,732
    You should ask that company. Every company has a different set of rules and regulations.

Could you private label this product?

4. Yankees338

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Haha...I apologize.

I have already spoken with the company that manufactures the product, and I won't be the only seller of this. I called the company before, but the representative I'd been in contact with was unable to take the call so now I'm waiting for him to call me back. I'll see what information he has regarding this.

I'm pretty certain the product/idea is patented. If the name is trademarked/registered (I don't quite know what to call it), am I allowed to use it in the name of my business and/or website? For instance, if I'm selling only Poland Spring water, am I allowed to call myself "Pure Poland Spring Water" or run through the website "www.PurePolandSpringWater.com"?

5. Yankees338

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Looks like the best answer will be found through the company.

I'm waiting for the reprentative to call me. I trust his word, but I know that's not always good enough. Is there any specific document (or set of docs) I should ask for that would contain this information?

Thanks for the help, btw!

6. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $182
    I googled product resellers guidelines and got links to dozens of websites re dozens of different products and companies. You might find a written guideline this way if the rep does not get the info back to you quickly enough.
    Janet

7. Strategy

Strategy New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    I would also like more info on this matter

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.