The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what type of entity for joint venture?

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
i'm partnering with an associate to purchase notes from banks. we both have llc's but it was mentioned to create a separate llc in which we are both 50% partners.

should we do this or create some other type of partnership that incorporate both our existing llc's?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

John C.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jun 5, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I'm not an attorney so cannot give legal advice. What would be the purpose of a separate entity? Is there any potential liability from this? If you buy notes will you/the entity be doing the collection from the debtors?

If you are going to be trying to collect on the notes, I can see the benefit of having a separate LLC set up as the owner. You as an individual are removed from the picture.

If this is very successful, you might want to take in additional investors, so a separate LLC would be helpful. If there are going to be expenses of collection that one or both of you might have to pay, then having a separate LLC makes it easier to keep the records straight and in one place.

If you might have to sue to recover on some of the notes, having a separate LLC would be helpful.

I think you need to think through the operation and get a clear picture of what types of activities might take place and then let that guide you. I would opt for an LLC over a regular corporation or a partnership.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
I am also not a lawyer but I just have a question.

If you both had LLCs before you met/started this business, wouldn't you want to keep them separate since you have other interests? Personally, I love the LLC (at least in TN). It is easy for taxes, easy for upkeep, provides more protection than some other entities with the tax benefits of a corporation. It's cheap enough here to create one for every separate venture that you take on.

JC

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.