The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what to do and where to go with my ideas-HELP

Idea threads

LMACK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 25, 2016
For my whole life i have been around cars,my dad being mechanic himself owning and operating his own shops,i learned to fix and create instead of buy stuff,after working as a mechanic after highschool in a local garage i became familier with professional tools and equipment,i always found myself being more intrested in figuring out what tools to use to complete repairs more effeciently and creating my own tools then working on the car itself..this wasent the type of attitude most bosses agree with,so i work for myself doing faIRly well, and i have created a couple tools that i want to patent and manufacture...however my ideas consist of improvements and tweaks from tools sold in the store....DO I
-CONTACT my favorite tool company and tell them i made something way better sign a contract etc??
-contact some patent service website and see what they say.
*i have prototypes i machined myself that i use everyday"when customers arent around"
*i did patent searches and found nothing even similar.
*dont know where to start,dont got a million bucks,but ill do whatever it takes

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
-CONTACT my favorite tool company and tell them i made something way better sign a contract etc??

I don't know what you should do. But, in my opinion, you definitely should NOT do this. If you are the only user of your tools, you have NO leverage over an existing tool manufacturer. Why would they even listen to you? And if they do and think your idea is good, what prevents them from just making it themselves after saying NO to you. OR if they say yes, they might offer you a very lousy deal.

Point being you have no leverage over them. If you owned a patent AND if your tool was popular, they would COME to you to buy rights instead of you having to go to them.

This is just my general business sense because I have no idea about your particular industry.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
DO I
-contact some patent service website and see what they say.
*i have prototypes i machined myself that i use everyday"when customers arent around"
Hi @LMACK. I like where you're going with this!

My 1st recommendation would be to read the book this forum is based on.
2nd would be to read every thread by @million$$$smile.
3rd would be to find some local machine shop(s) to make a small number of samples and get them into the hands of other mechanics or shop owners. Ask for their feedback in exchange for the free sample. Setup a website, put up the feedback and start calling potential customers...

In my experience, IP protection via the patent process is only for the players with deep pockets. Get your product & your brand out there quickly and gain traction in your market before someone else copies it offshore and eats your lunch. There may be better approaches, but that's my $0.02.

Good Luck & Godspeed!

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Are you looking to sell your idea to a company and receive royalties or sell the idea outright? I know of a couple domestic companies that might be interested. PM me and I'll give you the names...

If you really believe it might be a UNIQUE product., you need to protect it with a patent.

If you are interested in having it manufactured domestically and private branded, it depends on the product, but I might be able to help. I have a half dozen tools private branded domestically, besides what we manufacture in-house.

I know it's tough. I have worked in the field myself. Hard to be a round peg in a square hole.

I am straight-through blue collar that allowed my creativity to go wild or was it the 'shrooms in my earlier years?
If I can help, I'm here.

R

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.