The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What time do you wake up at?

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

Deleted78083

1. What time do you go to sleep and what time do you wake up at?

2. Do you feel it has consequences on your day/productivity?

I go to sleep at 23h30 and wake up at around 8h30-9h. I need to sleep at least 8h30 to have a good day. Sometimes, I sleep up to 10h, but that's only when I'm really tired. My day is f*cked if I wake up past 9h30.

I read some stuff about these extra-productive people waking up at 5AM, but...does it mean they go to sleep at 21h??

PS: this thread should be in health, not in unscripted mindset category. If an admin can change it, that'd be nice : )

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
I wake up at 4:30am on weekdays and 6:30am on weekends, sometimes earlier. Even though I go to bed earlier (9:30pm-10pm), I feel amazing. I get my workouts in and meditate before dropping my sister off to the bus for work, then I go out for my walk, make coffee, and get right to work. Oversleeping for me is 5:15am nowadays. When that happens, I read on my kindle until it's time to drop my sister off.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Usually asleep by 11:30 PM and up by 7AM on a normal day, but I will get up earlier than that as necessary.

I don't set an alarm. This just happens now. I truly loathe our biological need to sleep.

abhishekk_33

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 14, 2020
Bihar,India

2. Do you feel it has a consequences on your day/productivity?

I go to sleep at 23h30 and wake up at around 8h30-9h. I need to sleep at least 8h30 to have a good day. Sometimes, I sleep up to 10h, but that's only when I'm really tired. My day is f*cked if I wake up past 9h30.

I read some stuff about these extra-productive people waking up at 5AM, but...does it mean they go to sleep at 21h??

PS: this thread should be in health, not in unscripted mindset category. If an admin can change it, that'd be nice : )
1.I normally go to sleep at 22:00 and wake up at 4:30 -5:00 AM.
And I'm in this sleep routine for years(most of my life)

2.Yes and No.
Waking up early will increase your productivity but not the way you may expect.

Many people (YT videos) present a stupid argument that "you get extra hours in morning" without mentioning that "you need to sleep early to wake up early"

So over all the time you get in a day almost same.

But on the positive side..waking up early (not forcefully be some alarms) can have tremendous impact on your mental health and peace.
Morning hours are peaceful,fresh,and less toxic to your mind.

It won't give you some magical extra hours...but believe me you'll get something more valuable than that...

Ability to do things with less stress.

We human are connected to this nature just like any other creatures in this world.
Our basic nature is to sleep when Sun disappears and wake up at sunrise(just like infants).

Waking up early and sleeping early..keeps us in harmony with mother nature.

And yes It helps you in increasing your productivity.

Thanks
If you have any questions...feel free to ask..

Last edited:
D

Deleted78083

I truly loathe our biological need to sleep.

Yes, me too.

We human are connected to this nature just like any other creatures in this world.
Our basic nature is to sleep when Sun disappears and wake up at sunrise(just like infants).

Waking up early and sleeping early..keeps us in harmony with mother nature.

I very much agree with you. Several times I have tried to set up my biological clock on the sun, I failed always. I have so much energy at night that I'd spend up to two hours in bed, incapable to sleep. Sleep really is a tricky thing. So many successful people wake up so early that I've come to think of it as an "enabler" for success. Likewise, many people that do nothing with their lives go to sleep and wake up late.... According to some science, some people are wired to wake up and go to sleep early and some, to wake up and go to sleep late. While it says it can't be hacked, i'm not entirely sure...

abhishekk_33

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 14, 2020
Bihar,India
According to some science, some people are wired to wake up and go to sleep early and some, to wake up and go to sleep late. While it says it can't be hacked, i'm not entirely sure...
I'm not sure of any studies regarding this.
But yes I've heard that some people focus better at night and some at morning (a behavioral perspective not scientific).

I'm not a physician.so I can't give you scientific answer.

I consult people regarding spiritualism (indian).
From that perspective.. here's what i think..

I agree ...that many people do better at night.Maybe they've trained their brain to work like that(by our mordern lifestyles)

It may help you do better...but in long run it will disturb the functioning of your body,mind, and emotions.

Once we are in a sync with nature..we automatically become an early bird because our biology is like that.

Sad thing is.. many people have taken this 'being night owl" as an identity.. and something cool.

They think...there's no harm in living"however they want" ...

Result??A subtle pendemic .."stress"

Today
Stress management is a fast growing industry in USA(And other countries too)... because people are constantly getting out of sync.

Im sure many Indians would laugh at this concept (stress management).

Afterall,is. stress something that needs to be managed?
It should simply not exist.

Lastly..There are many ways to attain mental, emotional and biological peace(sync)..
Look around you may find
:)

Last edited:

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Yes, me too.

I very much agree with you. Several times I have tried to set up my biological clock on the sun, I failed always. I have so much energy at night that I'd spend up to two hours in bed, incapable to sleep. Sleep really is a tricky thing. So many successful people wake up so early that I've come to think of it as an "enabler" for success. Likewise, many people that do nothing with their lives go to sleep and wake up late.... According to some science, some people are wired to wake up and go to sleep early and some, to wake up and go to sleep late. While it says it can't be hacked, i'm not entirely sure...

You might find The Power of When: Learn the Best Time to do Everything by Dr. Michael Breus interesting as he looks at different body clocks & how to optimise for them. As a book though, I prefer Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to a Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success by Shawn Stevenson - got more out of it.

Honestly though, I was a total night owl when I was younger. Always struggled with mornings. Wanted to adjust my body clock earlier though because years after pulling all nighters to finish work at uni, I found I did more productive stuff during daylight hours, & might be awake late, but wasn't getting anything useful done. I think getting older has naturally shifted my body clock some, but the major difference maker for me has been

GETTING OUT OF MY OWN WAY​

Seriously. Let yourself feel sleepy. Especially during the summer months right now I just don't use the light switches in my house unless absolutely necessary. Turns out that if I just let things get dark when they get dark, slowly, I start feeling sleepy earlier. I also have my curtains wide open to let the sunlight in in the morning which helps with waking up (I appreciate for some though they need the absolute dark to sleep more than the light to wake up, this just works for me). In winter when it's dark too soon, in the evening my main source of light is a red/amber lamp, with just a little yellow/white light from some small fairy lights for clarity.

Using flux or night mode or whatnot on computers/phones, & trying not to use them too late goes almost without saying. Greyscale (which I use on my phone most of the time anyway for other purposes) combined with night mode makes for the softest way I know to look at a screen if you have to late. And I'll be honest, I can be scrolling Twitter (or something else unnecessary) with greyscale & night mode on, & it won't wake me up too much.

Finally, I remember (a probably gross oversimplification) from my A Level Psychology that we sleep in cycles of 90 mins(ish). Therefore I consider it a sleep menu of sorts:
6 hours - I can survive on this if necessary (usually used for when I have a hideously early call time for a media gig or something)
7.5 hours - A good regular amount of sleep
9 hours - The luxury option for when I need more

At the moment, I tend to go to bed around 10pm & wake up at 7am - allowing for 9 luxurious hours. Some days I stay awake a little longer, & even wake up before my alarm (my younger self doesn't believe me!) so I figured I needed less on those nights. But here's the thing, if I'm not conked out getting 9 hours, I don't turn on the light to read, or the computer to watch a show. I just lie there, ready for bed, curled up in the dark, thinking, or listening to a podcast, or occasionally looking at unnecessary shit on my visually muted phone. Give yourself space to get sleepy.

Oh, & probably worth mentioning I don't drink tea or coffee, so I don't have those stimulants to deal with - just light. But yes, look into how long it takes to get caffeine out of your system & stop drinking it earlier if necessary.

Get out of your own way.
A lesson I feel I need to learn to apply to other areas of life :rofl:

Last edited:

xy2_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Mar 26, 2020
France
I've been sleeping at 9 PM and waking up at 5 AM for more than a year now. Before COVID I would have a tight schedule with uni. I had an hour of commute, so I would drop by the gym for a session, then go immediately to uni, which helped strengthen the habit I think.

For my phone, I have it on grayscale 99% of the time (it switches off whenever the app detects I'm reading a document or an image), with do not disturb most of the time. I have my phone set to power off 30 minutes before bed, at which point I switch to reading or doing something non-virtual to help wind down to sleep.

Like others said here, you still have the same time in the day. What's awesome however is that you're fully in control during the opening hours of your day, and you decide if it starts off awesome, not your circumstances.

For example, if my alarm clock doesn't work, I wake up at around 6 AM naturally, so I still have all the time. But if I used the usual schedule of sleeping late and waking up late, then when I wake up the world has already started to move. By waking up early I can put that into my control.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Usually get up between 9-11am without an alarm. I'm a night owl though, often up till 3-4am.

Makes me feel like a bum lately, so I have been thinking about getting up earlier and using an alarm again :eek:. Not decided yet.

I did the 4-5am wake up + workout thing a few years ago for some time and it felt good after getting used to it.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
No regular bedtime but rarely in bed before midnight, usually sleep around 2
Usually up before 7
Too much sleep makes me tired during the day & need a nap
Only drink black coffee & can sleep immediately after a cup.
Totally goes against what Stanley Coren wrote in Sleep Thieves.
Great book, well worth reading.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Lately...

1) When I feel refreshed.
2) Depends. If I do a scheduled early wake up (i.e. Miracle Morning) then my day can be very productive. It really depends on my mental state prior to bed, and knowing that I've set an early day to say, go to the gym. (Which we can't do because our shitty governor has closed gyms.)

WestCoastMax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 13, 2020
Earth
I usually go to sleep at about 11:45 and wake up at about 8.

I find myself being more productive when I sleep early.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Night owl here.. recently back from my sleep.

1) I fall asleep around 2-3-4 am;
2) Wake up at 9-10-11 am.

My productivity has absolutely sunked lately, because of this.
I feel terrible when I wake up, considering most of the day is already gone.

Every time, I try to reset my sleep schedule and start sleeping at 11 pm even 10 PM - not a week later and I am back to falling asleep at crazy hours. The only benefit of staying awake past midnight is I guess I get more creative.

What helped me understand sleep a little better was the book from Christiano Ronaldo's sleeping coach, Nick Littlehales - Sleep. I discovered how many sleep cycles I need a week to feel good, and what exactly to do before sleep to get as much deep sleep as possible. I recommend this book to everyone, especially for his pre- and post- sleep routines.

If anyone struggled with their sleep schedule and was able to fix - please, tell me how you did.
I may have a discipline problem around sleep, and it's nothing biological.

Last edited:

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa

I read some stuff about these extra-productive people waking up at 5 am, but...does it mean they go to sleep at 21h??

A great question. I nod off around 9:30 pm (2130 hrs) and am jolted awake by an alarm at 5:30 am. See my girlfriend off at 7 am and am working by 7:30. I work for my main client, parttime, then switch to my own business after lunch. Before the switch, I exercise and meditate. That's my perfect day. Am I so disciplined to do this every day? Nope, but journaling helps me make positive changes without trashing myself mentally.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
1. mostly 11-0. till 8-9
BUt I enjoy, that I can change and adjust that.
In summer I often wake up at 5 and go biking or doing other sports as long as its not hot.
Sometimes I work in the night ( trying to build a business)

When I wake up by myself, I feel better than with a clock.
Sometimes when I stand up early, I am tired all day and am not productive.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Mon - Friday I do my best to get up before 6 am and I'm usually asleep by 10pm.
The weekend i'm up around 7-7.30

I have a habit of snoozing so to combat this I put my alarm clock in another room. If I wake up late it generally gets my day off to a bad start and i'm way less productive and distracted.

I wish I was one of those people who could just rise easily without an alarm but it just doesn't happen. If I don't set an alarm, I'll sleep for 9 + hours! Guess I just love that bed! :happy:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Usually get up between 9-11am without an alarm. I'm a night owl though, often up till 3-4am.

Makes me feel like a bum lately, so I have been thinking about getting up earlier and using an alarm again :eek:. Not decided yet.

I did the 4-5am wake up + workout thing a few years ago for some time and it felt good after getting used to it.
This post didn't age well at all, lol. Attended a sleep optimization webinar today and just ordered an Oura ring, daylight lamp and blue-light-blocking glasses to improve deep sleep levels. Back to an alarm clock soon. :blush:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.