The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Essential supplements: Which ones do you take?

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Just incase someone stumbles onto this thread thinking that Omega 3 from Flaxseeds, Chia Seeds and other Plant Sources are the same as Omega 3 from Fish Sources.

Sadly, it is not

The type of Omega 3s coming from Plant Sources (ALA) isnt the same as the Omega 3s coming from Fish Sources (EPA & DHA)

I should however mention that your body naturally converts Plant Based Omega 3 (ALA) into the ones you get from Fish Sources, however only a very small percentage gets converted
If you do the math on the conversion rate you will see that you can easily hit the daily recommended amount through chia, walnuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alex Nolte

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Sep 14, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If you do the math on the conversion rate you will see that you can easily hit the daily recommended amount through chia, walnuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I‘d love to know with which daily recommendation you came to that conclusion cause I don’t think that 1800mg of EPA and 1200mg of DHA (the amount that gives you the most benefits) are „easily hit“. The ALA to EPA/DHA conversion rates from plant based sources are very bad (chia seeds for example below 9%).

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Why do you consider fish oil, seeds, vinegar and plant extracts supplements? I see them just as food.

I don't know if this can be considered a supplement too but sometimes I drink baking soda ( Sodium bicarbonate - Wikipedia ) with water to reduce acidity and help digestion.

Kelley McEachern

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 23, 2018
Cottage Grove, Oregon
I take the following daily
Fish Oil - contains 600mg omega3 fatty acids & 500mg of EPA and DHA
Men's Multi Vitamin
Turmeric Curcurmin blend 1000mg (total Curcuminoids 95mg) (for inflammation)
Hyaluronic Acid 20mg (joints & skin)
Co Q-10 200mg

I do not eat food between 12am and 12pm and exercise (burn) 500calories or more a day.

stevenknow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia

You're right, with enough plant-based Omega 3 (ALA's) ,your body would definetely be able to covert enough to the more beneficial DHA's and EPA's you'd get from fish sources

However, someone who relies heavily on Plant Sources should be careful about their dietary Omega3 and 6 ratios,

because 'healthy' foods with omega 3 in them such as walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, could hurt you

The optimal ratio for Omega3to6 is 1:1

A crappy ratio, which the average americans have daily (a ratio of 1:14, with 14 being Omega 6) are going to have negative effects on their health overtime

and eating Plant Sources like Walnuts or Almonds, yes it contains Omega 3, but it also has signicantly more Omega 6s than you'd like, so you'd then have to play a big catch up to get your Omegas balance right

Flaxseeds and Chiaseeds are the best plant based sources, they contain a heavy amount of Omega 3's over 6's

there's a wiki article with a list of foods and their Omega ratios to give you a general look into it
Ratio of fatty acids in different foods - Wikipedia

The best sources of Omega 3's are from Fishes, Flaxseeds and Chiaseeds, PERIOD.

I hope that this post could be helpful to at least one person, If I'm wrong about something that I've said, please call me out on it

I rather look stupid now than in 5 years

Sonny Decker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2018
Gotham City
Whey protein. More of a concentrated food, but still supplement-ish. Great for getting in more protein while watching Calories (or "cutting" for all my fitness peeps).

Creatine (CreaPure). Noticed a small boost in strength and lean mass after a month of consistent supplementation (5 g a day).

Fish oil. We all know the benefits of omega 3's by now.

Multivitamin. I've tried many, have yet to find one I love (optimal nutrients, price, availability, etc.).

Caffeine (from coffee). The double-edged sword. Use it mainly for writing.

L-Theanine. Works synergistically with caffeine and helps reduce some of the not so pleasant side-effects.

This is my stack right now, and I'm always rotating stuff in and out.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
MidwestLandlord,

Thank you so much for sharing this!! Had an absolutely miserable stomach ache the other day and my doctor recommended Zantac, which didn’t do much help. Took a few Tums and didn’t really help. Hopped on this forum and got the apple cider you mentioned (I drink smoothies at night, too). After taking apple cider, I went from feeling like a 3/10 to about a 8/10 within minutes. It changed my life because I finally felt happy again. I noticed having more energy than usual, too. Going to be adding Metamucil and liquid fish oil, too :)

I appreciate you man!

-Andy

D3
Zinc
Liquid fish oil (omega 3's)
Theanine
Apple cider vinegar
Metamucil
Beef liver

I mix protein powder, apple cider vinegar, Metamucil, and liquid fish oil into a shake every night.

With the apple cider vinegar, I drink the high quality glass bottled stuff that contains the mother. But I also buy the crap that comes in a gallon jug and soak my feet in it (undiluted) twice a month or so. Makes my feet feel like a million bucks!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They say the fish or krill based oil for omega 3 is way more potent than plant based. I’m not an expert but someone told me that.

Just curious, do you eat fish regularly? I don't take any supplements but I get sushi like twice a week. So wondering if I need fish oil, lol.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Just curious, do you eat fish regularly? I don't take any supplements but I get sushi like twice a week. So wondering if I need fish oil, lol.

I would try it anyway to see what you think. The sushi you eat may or may not give you the DHA that can be so good. I like sushi too, but I still take the caplets on days I eat fish.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would try it anyway to see what you think. The sushi you eat may or may not give you the DHA that can be so good. I like sushi too, but I still take the caplets on days I eat fish.

Ok, well I sell supplements now so I have 2000 bottles of fish oil at my warehouse. Might as well take some owner benefits! lol

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
- Fish oil omega 3 (over krill)
- B12 and folic acid. Sometimes I feel tired for no reason, and usually is a deficiency in B12. Folic acid, btw, had the side effect of growing new hair :D
- Magnesium oil directly on the skin, to sleep better and to recover for hard training on the legs
- Zink for training recovering and better sleep
- Gingseng, Rhodiola root, ashwaganda: for stress and brain performance

And some others that are specifics for training

PRO2018

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 20, 2017
I pick a coupe of different supplements every few months and complete a course of each to give me a boost every now and then. Below are the ones I use

Gelatin (its like having the good old bone broth, helps repair damaged cartilage with the added advantage of growing hair, you may be trimming your nails more ofen when you take this supplement)
Fish Oil (Omega 3, don't need to explain this one)
B Vitamins including B12 (I take this alomst regularly. Alcohol and some ingredients in foods like Baking Soda can deplete B12 in the body)
Curcumin (Present in tumeric, helps with reducing inflammation. I use this when I get muscle inflammation from exercise or injury. I try this before I go onto anti-inflammatory drugs)
Multi-Vitamins (Every now and again to lift my vitamin levels)
Nigella Seeds (Not seen first hand benefits of this, but take this because it came highly recommended. Did some research and looks impressive. May reduce cholestrol, aids blood sugar regulation, alleviates inflammation and is packed with antioxidants)

A healthy body is so important for a sharp mind.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
- Fish oil
- Vit D3
- Vit B12
- Vit C
- Zinc
- Maca powder
- Creatine
- Ginko

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Fish oil
Zinc & Magnesium --> Apparently essential substances for men
Vitamin B complex --> important for vegans
Rhodiola Rosea
Theanine
calcium --> I don't eat diary products, so essential for me.

But nothing beats a good green juice every day (with broccoli, kale, spinache, banan, curcumin, honey and black pepper) and some fruit.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
tbsp sole from himalayan salt into my 1l Water Bottle = 2 years figuring out why so foggy head and being so nauseas ... sometimes the easiest things are the best...i needed 2 weeks to be normal again

Apple cider vinegar
Vitamin D3/K2
Krill Oil
Vitamine C = Camu Camu Powder
Magnesium Oil = works wonders ! specially if your at risk for high blood pressure!
Shilajit = sometimes

@Kak specialliy for brain fog, reduce/avoid gluten and hydrate more! You can only hydrate if you put some healthy salt in your water!

christancho

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 8, 2018
Canada
I've been taken multi vitamins since like 8 years old... benefits? can't tell, I'm like better have it than not.
Now, besides that:
Maca & Ginseng, which certainly has improved my concentration and memory.
I'll include, based on your suggestions and to see if it fits:
Omega 3
Apple cider vinegar

I already take Apple Cider, so I'll expand to apple cider vinegar :happy:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I actually take the supplement I sell with my partner which contains:

Noopept
L-Theanine
OCTOPAMINE
METHYLCOBALAMIN
Huperzine A
Alpha GPC

We target the focus/energy/concentration/memory/attention market.

New formula coming out soon, so will prob have to change this up when it hits.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Anyone ever mess with CBD Oil? I have a buddy that swears by it. But, he tends to exaggerate about the "next big thing".

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
We take "nourishing herbal infusions". They are basically various herbs that grow abundantly in most places, herbs like Red Clover Blossom, Stinging Nettle, Comfrey, OatStraw, Linden, Violet, Burdock Root...

You take an ounce of the dried herb, pour boiling hot water over it in a 32 oz. mason jar, close the lid, letting it steep overnight and strain it the next morning and drink. You get tons of minerals, vitamins, and you get stuff missing from our foods these days because these are wild foods.

It really has changed our lives. My body feels at homeostasis. I just got blood work done, excellent. My skin is better, I sleep better.

And, it is basically growing everywhere, free or you can order it from companies like mt rose herbs or frontier, that sell the dried bulk herbs.

I learned all of this stuff from this herbalist Susan Weed. If you are really sick and not feeling right in your body, watch her stuff, listen to her podcasts. We are SOO thankful we came across the information she is putting out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj9pO1PNHuI

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
One and a half scoops of whey isolate everyday. :)

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
In the past I have been the guy that calls supplements “snake oil” a bunch of too good to be true BS... I couldn’t have been more wrong about fish oil...

Evidently I had a deficiency in omega 3s because I started taking fish oil a few months ago and it has, without a doubt in my mind, given me energy and mental clarity.

I found out the hard way that about 98% of my life-time struggle with depressive feelings is due to omega-3 deficiency. If I drop it for more than about 10 days at a stretch, I get a feeling that I can only describe as my soul rotting from the inside while being eaten by carnivorous worms.

4-6 grams a day plus at least 5000 IU of vitamin D keeps me humming along nicely.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What I take daily and highly recommend to everybody else:
  • 3g of EPA/DHA out of fish oil capsules
  • 4000 IU vitamin D3 (anything up to 10k is safe, but 4k is usually enough, if your living in a very sunny area then even less)
  • 200mcg vitamin K2
What I take to boost my performance in the gym
  • 5g of creatine monohydrate (daily)
  • 250mg caffeine + 250mg l-theanine (pre workout, can also be used for hustling)
Benefits of each:
fish oil: bone & joint health, cognitive function & brain health, cardiovascular health, liver health, antiinflammatory effect
vitamin D: general health, antiinflammatory effect, immunity, bone & joint health, cognitive function & brain health, insulin sensivity, cardiovascular health, libido
vitamin k2: bone health, cardiovascular health, works synergistically with vitamin d (so the effects of each are improved), makes sure that calcium gets to all the right places in your body and therefore prevents arterial calcification

creatine: more power in things like sprinting or strength training
caffeine + theanine: alertness, clarity, calm focus (theanine prevents the caffeine "shakiness" from occuring)
Apparently, Vitamin D is a very deficient vitamin for people all over the world. Even if you live in a very sunny area.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Vegans need to check their source of Vitamin D as a lot of the supply comes from lanolin, which is a by-product of sheeps wool. Also USA and Australian vitamin D are measured in different units - so 50 units from OZ is 20 units in the US. Double check your doses if you live in one country but buy from another. Verify everything including this.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
You need around 2kg of salmon a week to get enough EPHA/DHA

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ive got it made here in norway good ole smoked salmon is the norm; i probably eat around 3kgs a weeks cause i eat it everyday.

i forgot to mention Vitamin D3 is a must; most do not get enough vitamin D;

grape seed extract has been a killer and i agree with @Raoul Duke on the apple cider it works and helps for many a reasons.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My takeway from reading 3 pages of this:
  1. Fish oil
  2. Apple Cidar Vinegar
Nearly everyone swears by those 2. I've never personally done ACV but next time I am at Costco I am gonna get me a jug

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Used to take many years ago, now I don't take any regularly at all. Actual studies from non-biased institutions have correlated several long term supplement use with negative side effects. There is one effect they do give though, which is one of the most proven effects in medicine and is called "placebo". Our biology is very very complex and not yet fully understood, and a lot of the assumptions people have about vitamins doesn't hold much ground. And the argument "we need to increase our intake of chemical x 10000% because the western diet is bad!!1" always sounded like horoscope-tier to me, please tell what direction of diet should we emulate since the western is so bad then lol

It’s possible that the chemicals in the fruits and vegetables on your plate work together in ways that scientists don’t fully understand—and which can’t be replicated in a tablet.

Studies from Harvard don't find any proof fish oil prevents heart problems, antioxidant supplements seem to actually increase cancer, and probiotics can disrupt normal flora which can give brain fogginess.

Do vitamins and supplements work? Two decades of studies say no

The Dark Side of Antioxidants

Probiotic use is a Link Between Brain Fogginess and Severe Bloating

4000 IU vitamin D3 (anything up to 10k is safe, but 4k is usually enough, if your living in a very sunny area then even less)
Such a stupid and dangerous thing to say. We simply don't know much about its long term use in detail to say anything for certain.

Too much vitamin D can be harmful, including (ironically) increasing fractures, falls, and kidney stones, and can be toxic by causing excessive levels of calcium. Although not proven, high vitamin D levels have been associated with prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, and mortality. A recent study found that use of high-dose vitamin D supplements increased over a 15-year period.

So how much is too much? For adults, toxic effects increase above 4,000 IU per day. The recommended dietary dose of vitamin D is 600 IU each day for adults 70 and younger and 800 IU each day for adults over 70. To put this into perspective, 4 ounces of cooked salmon contains approximately 600 IU of vitamin D.
Vitamin D: Finding a balance - Harvard Health Blog

Not saying supplements are bad as they have benefit to some people, but even water is dangerous if you megadose it. Regularly consuming huge doses of anything for months or years without any proven need for it seems kind of thoughtless

Last edited:

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
I start the day with bulletproof coffee which is butter from grass fed cows and coconut oil mixed in coffee. I don't know if I notice any difference than regular coffee.
I used to start the day with some Ginko. I noticed it made me a little more focused and sharp. I kinda liked it. I may start that again.
Whey protein after workouts.
Before bed I'll take multi vitamins, hemp oil, and glutathione.
Milk Thistle 1 or 2 nights after consuming any alcohol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.