The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

O/T: HEALTH What supplements do you take?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would try it anyway to see what you think. The sushi you eat may or may not give you the DHA that can be so good. I like sushi too, but I still take the caplets on days I eat fish.
Ok, well I sell supplements now so I have 2000 bottles of fish oil at my warehouse. Might as well take some owner benefits! lol

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

diegorueda

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
diegorueda.es
- Fish oil omega 3 (over krill)
- B12 and folic acid. Sometimes I feel tired for no reason, and usually is a deficiency in B12. Folic acid, btw, had the side effect of growing new hair :D
- Magnesium oil directly on the skin, to sleep better and to recover for hard training on the legs
- Zink for training recovering and better sleep
- Gingseng, Rhodiola root, ashwaganda: for stress and brain performance

And some others that are specifics for training

PRO2018

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 20, 2017
I pick a coupe of different supplements every few months and complete a course of each to give me a boost every now and then. Below are the ones I use

Gelatin (its like having the good old bone broth, helps repair damaged cartilage with the added advantage of growing hair, you may be trimming your nails more ofen when you take this supplement)
Fish Oil (Omega 3, don't need to explain this one)
B Vitamins including B12 (I take this alomst regularly. Alcohol and some ingredients in foods like Baking Soda can deplete B12 in the body)
Curcumin (Present in tumeric, helps with reducing inflammation. I use this when I get muscle inflammation from exercise or injury. I try this before I go onto anti-inflammatory drugs)
Multi-Vitamins (Every now and again to lift my vitamin levels)
Nigella Seeds (Not seen first hand benefits of this, but take this because it came highly recommended. Did some research and looks impressive. May reduce cholestrol, aids blood sugar regulation, alleviates inflammation and is packed with antioxidants)

A healthy body is so important for a sharp mind.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
Mar 6, 2016
Fish oil
Zinc & Magnesium --> Apparently essential substances for men
Vitamin B complex --> important for vegans
Rhodiola Rosea
Theanine
calcium --> I don't eat diary products, so essential for me.

But nothing beats a good green juice every day (with broccoli, kale, spinache, banan, curcumin, honey and black pepper) and some fruit.

Vanderbilt

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
tbsp sole from himalayan salt into my 1l Water Bottle = 2 years figuring out why so foggy head and being so nauseas ... sometimes the easiest things are the best...i needed 2 weeks to be normal again

Apple cider vinegar
Vitamin D3/K2
Krill Oil
Vitamine C = Camu Camu Powder
Magnesium Oil = works wonders ! specially if your at risk for high blood pressure!
Shilajit = sometimes

@Kak specialliy for brain fog, reduce/avoid gluten and hydrate more! You can only hydrate if you put some healthy salt in your water!

christancho

New Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Canada
I've been taken multi vitamins since like 8 years old... benefits? can't tell, I'm like better have it than not.
Now, besides that:
Maca & Ginseng, which certainly has improved my concentration and memory.
I'll include, based on your suggestions and to see if it fits:
Omega 3
Apple cider vinegar

I already take Apple Cider, so I'll expand to apple cider vinegar :happy:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2013
Louisville - Kentucky
www.serpwoo.com
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I actually take the supplement I sell with my partner which contains:

Noopept
L-Theanine
OCTOPAMINE
METHYLCOBALAMIN
Huperzine A
Alpha GPC

We target the focus/energy/concentration/memory/attention market.

New formula coming out soon, so will prob have to change this up when it hits.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Anyone ever mess with CBD Oil? I have a buddy that swears by it. But, he tends to exaggerate about the "next big thing".

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 7, 2018
Boston
We take "nourishing herbal infusions". They are basically various herbs that grow abundantly in most places, herbs like Red Clover Blossom, Stinging Nettle, Comfrey, OatStraw, Linden, Violet, Burdock Root...

You take an ounce of the dried herb, pour boiling hot water over it in a 32 oz. mason jar, close the lid, letting it steep overnight and strain it the next morning and drink. You get tons of minerals, vitamins, and you get stuff missing from our foods these days because these are wild foods.

It really has changed our lives. My body feels at homeostasis. I just got blood work done, excellent. My skin is better, I sleep better.

And, it is basically growing everywhere, free or you can order it from companies like mt rose herbs or frontier, that sell the dried bulk herbs.

I learned all of this stuff from this herbalist Susan Weed. If you are really sick and not feeling right in your body, watch her stuff, listen to her podcasts. We are SOO thankful we came across the information she is putting out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj9pO1PNHuI

Zcott

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018
One and a half scoops of whey isolate everyday. :)

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2017
In the past I have been the guy that calls supplements “snake oil” a bunch of too good to be true BS... I couldn’t have been more wrong about fish oil...

Evidently I had a deficiency in omega 3s because I started taking fish oil a few months ago and it has, without a doubt in my mind, given me energy and mental clarity.
I found out the hard way that about 98% of my life-time struggle with depressive feelings is due to omega-3 deficiency. If I drop it for more than about 10 days at a stretch, I get a feeling that I can only describe as my soul rotting from the inside while being eaten by carnivorous worms.

4-6 grams a day plus at least 5000 IU of vitamin D keeps me humming along nicely.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 3, 2018
What I take daily and highly recommend to everybody else:
  • 3g of EPA/DHA out of fish oil capsules
  • 4000 IU vitamin D3 (anything up to 10k is safe, but 4k is usually enough, if your living in a very sunny area then even less)
  • 200mcg vitamin K2
What I take to boost my performance in the gym
  • 5g of creatine monohydrate (daily)
  • 250mg caffeine + 250mg l-theanine (pre workout, can also be used for hustling)
Benefits of each:
fish oil: bone & joint health, cognitive function & brain health, cardiovascular health, liver health, antiinflammatory effect
vitamin D: general health, antiinflammatory effect, immunity, bone & joint health, cognitive function & brain health, insulin sensivity, cardiovascular health, libido
vitamin k2: bone health, cardiovascular health, works synergistically with vitamin d (so the effects of each are improved), makes sure that calcium gets to all the right places in your body and therefore prevents arterial calcification

creatine: more power in things like sprinting or strength training
caffeine + theanine: alertness, clarity, calm focus (theanine prevents the caffeine "shakiness" from occuring)
Apparently, Vitamin D is a very deficient vitamin for people all over the world. Even if you live in a very sunny area.

Tommo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Vegans need to check their source of Vitamin D as a lot of the supply comes from lanolin, which is a by-product of sheeps wool. Also USA and Australian vitamin D are measured in different units - so 50 units from OZ is 20 units in the US. Double check your doses if you live in one country but buy from another. Verify everything including this.

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com
You need around 2kg of salmon a week to get enough EPHA/DHA

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
ive got it made here in norway good ole smoked salmon is the norm; i probably eat around 3kgs a weeks cause i eat it everyday.

i forgot to mention Vitamin D3 is a must; most do not get enough vitamin D;

grape seed extract has been a killer and i agree with @Raoul Duke on the apple cider it works and helps for many a reasons.

GPM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My takeway from reading 3 pages of this:
  1. Fish oil
  2. Apple Cidar Vinegar
Nearly everyone swears by those 2. I've never personally done ACV but next time I am at Costco I am gonna get me a jug

DST

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Used to take many years ago, now I don't take any regularly at all. Actual studies from non-biased institutions have correlated several long term supplement use with negative side effects. There is one effect they do give though, which is one of the most proven effects in medicine and is called "placebo". Our biology is very very complex and not yet fully understood, and a lot of the assumptions people have about vitamins doesn't hold much ground. And the argument "we need to increase our intake of chemical x 10000% because the western diet is bad!!1" always sounded like horoscope-tier to me, please tell what direction of diet should we emulate since the western is so bad then lol

It’s possible that the chemicals in the fruits and vegetables on your plate work together in ways that scientists don’t fully understand—and which can’t be replicated in a tablet.

Studies from Harvard don't find any proof fish oil prevents heart problems, antioxidant supplements seem to actually increase cancer, and probiotics can disrupt normal flora which can give brain fogginess.

Do vitamins and supplements work? Two decades of studies say no

The Dark Side of Antioxidants

Probiotic use is a Link Between Brain Fogginess and Severe Bloating

4000 IU vitamin D3 (anything up to 10k is safe, but 4k is usually enough, if your living in a very sunny area then even less)
Such a stupid and dangerous thing to say. We simply don't know much about its long term use in detail to say anything for certain.

Too much vitamin D can be harmful, including (ironically) increasing fractures, falls, and kidney stones, and can be toxic by causing excessive levels of calcium. Although not proven, high vitamin D levels have been associated with prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer, and mortality. A recent study found that use of high-dose vitamin D supplements increased over a 15-year period.

So how much is too much? For adults, toxic effects increase above 4,000 IU per day. The recommended dietary dose of vitamin D is 600 IU each day for adults 70 and younger and 800 IU each day for adults over 70. To put this into perspective, 4 ounces of cooked salmon contains approximately 600 IU of vitamin D.
Vitamin D: Finding a balance - Harvard Health Blog

Not saying supplements are bad as they have benefit to some people, but even water is dangerous if you megadose it. Regularly consuming huge doses of anything for months or years without any proven need for it seems kind of thoughtless

Last edited:

DKNJ

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
I start the day with bulletproof coffee which is butter from grass fed cows and coconut oil mixed in coffee. I don't know if I notice any difference than regular coffee.
I used to start the day with some Ginko. I noticed it made me a little more focused and sharp. I kinda liked it. I may start that again.
Whey protein after workouts.
Before bed I'll take multi vitamins, hemp oil, and glutathione.
Milk Thistle 1 or 2 nights after consuming any alcohol.

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Multi vitamin
Fish oil
Green tea extract
Apple cider vinegar tablets

Also, I've heard that it's best to drink ACV with a straw if possible. It apparently breaks down the enamel on your teeth pretty gnarly.

Zedd9165

Contributor
Dec 22, 2017
India
beyondgains.com
I have been consuming whey protein when I'm on cutting phases to supplement my self with an adequate amount of protein to retain the muscle but during maintenance phases, I don't consume any supplement.

Right now I'm on a strict cutting phase and considering the rise in fatigue levels and drop in the recovering I'm consuming the following stack for muscle retention, recovery, fatigue management, healthy oils and vitamins.

1. Whey Protein,
2. Glutamine for recovery purpose,
3. Multi-Vitamins,
4. Fish Oil,
5. Creatine.

Restless8

New Contributor
Mar 7, 2018
Bangladesh
"Snake Oil" looks like this supplements new to me. I even didn't use this one before. But you might get some other supplements from the internet easily. Recently I got to know all about phentermine. I would like to give a try for this one. What's your opinion in this?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I've also noticed results from Omega 3 fish oil, and I am taking half the recommended dose.

I also felt much better when I was consuming vegetable based vegan protein powder instead of whey powder. It was peas, chia seeds and some other stuff I can't remember. I will get back to that soon.

Areding

New Contributor
Oct 12, 2018
I never took any supplements as a normal phenomenon. If you quickly want to throw off weight before some kind of event, it may be worthwhile to sit on supplements and sachets, but I would not recommend taking something on a permanent basis.

ChrisV

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
In the past I have been the guy that calls supplements “snake oil” a bunch of too good to be true BS... I couldn’t have been more wrong about fish oil...

Evidently I had a deficiency in omega 3s because I started taking fish oil a few months ago and it has, without a doubt in my mind, given me energy and mental clarity.

Speaking of mental clarity, I have only just realized how badly eating poorly effects me. As someone who used to get brain fog. Eating clean helped, fish oil blew my doors off and gave me an adderal like mental clarity.

What do you guys take? What have you noticed? My interest in general performance is piqued.

@GPM recommends Krill Oil over fish oil for several reasons so I’m trying that today.
Wow, how did I miss this thread? This is one of my favorite subjects, if not #1

I have a Facebook group dedicated to stuf like this:

Upgrade Your Brain - Practical Science To Get The Most Out of Life

Totally agree with @GPM about Krill Oil. It's much better due to the Mercury content.

Plus a lack of Omega-3s can be brutal. Your brain is literally made of fatty acids.

How Omega-3 Fish Oil Affects Your Brain and Mental Health

So Omega 3 and a good multivitamin are absolute essentials.

My suppliments? Right now I take a supplement called Qualia, which I find to be very helpful.

In terms of which I take.. I posted this a while ago, which is a statistical analysis of the best supplements for different effects.

Absolute best Nootropics (Smart Drugs) for boosting Motivation, Memory, Focus and Mood

For my ADHD I take Modafinil and sometimes Phenylpiracetam. Modafinil is like Adderal (just as effective,) just way safer without the potential for addiction.

Remember a while ago I made a post about my former Depression and how I had to use Science to overcome it? Well that was exactly what I had to do. Took 5-HTP (serotonin boosting) supplements, Omega 3 Fish Oil, and changed my diet. It literally knocked out a 10 year long depression in a week. Adn this was severe depression. It was the miracle cure that you never hear about.

My interest in general performance is piqued.
I know this isn't a supplement but one of the best things:

On top of it’s other benefits, exercise may make you a better worker.

Here’s a cheatsheet of the things that will have the most major impact:

Daily Habits.001.jpeg

Video games you might be like “WTF” But they improve Executive Function (higher order thinking.) Sports too.

Last edited:

Vanesco

New Contributor
Oct 29, 2018
I do not use any additives, except nuts, dried apricots, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds. For me, these are the best supplements.

pkom79

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 24, 2012
South Florida
Everyday I take a min of 3g of Absorbic Acid powder.
What are the results that you see after taking that much vitamin c daily?
I only use mega-doses of vitamin c (5-10g) when I am fighting a cold. It usually helps to relieve some main symptoms fairly quickly but not all of them and not 100%. So it still takes few days to get fully well.

I decided to give some supplements a shot this month. I got Fish Oil, B12 and of course apple cider vinegar :)

DrWumbo

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Sep 22, 2016
Wow, how did I miss this thread? This is one of my favorite subjects, if not #1

I have a Facebook group dedicated to stuf like this:

Upgrade Your Brain - Practical Science To Get The Most Out of Life

Totally agree with @GPM about Krill Oil. It's much better due to the Mercury content.

Plus a lack of Omega-3s can be brutal. Your brain is literally made of fatty acids.

How Omega-3 Fish Oil Affects Your Brain and Mental Health

So Omega 3 and a good multivitamin are absolute essentials.

My suppliments? Right now I take a supplement called Qualia, which I find to be very helpful.

In terms of which I take.. I posted this a while ago, which is a statistical analysis of the best supplements for different effects.

Absolute best Nootropics (Smart Drugs) for boosting Motivation, Memory, Focus and Mood

For my ADHD I take Modafinil and sometimes Phenylpiracetam. Modafinil is like Adderal (just as effective,) just way safer without the potential for addiction.

Remember a while ago I made a post about my former Depression and how I had to use Science to overcome it? Well that was exactly what I had to do. Took 5-HTP (serotonin boosting) supplements, Omega 3 Fish Oil, and changed my diet. It literally knocked out a 10 year long depression in a week. Adn this was severe depression. It was the miracle cure that you never hear about.

I know this isn't a supplement but one of the best things:

On top of it’s other benefits, exercise may make you a better worker.

Here’s a cheatsheet of the things that will have the most major impact:

View attachment 22330

Video games you might be like “WTF” But they improve Executive Function (higher order thinking.) Sports too.
Here's an interesting take about fish oil. I have taken it for a long time (still do). Recently though, I have found a lot of research talking about how it isn't all it is said to be. Here is a general overview from the NIH. Looking up other research on Google Scholar also shows many studies that indicate it has a minimal impact.

It's interesting as tons of people have taken it and have received great results in what it delivers. Example, my wrists and fingers crack less when taking it vs when I'm not taking it. Why do you think that many Meta-Analysis studies come up with that it has a negligible impact compared to the good testimonials provided by people?

JWM

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 14, 2018
Australia
What do you guys take? What have you noticed? My interest in general performance is piqued.
My supps are based around my training.

I train most days of the week (allowing a couple of rest days).

I also switch up my routine every 3 months, to give the body a shock and because 3 months is when I start getting bored. For example, full body training for 3 months, then a traditional 4-split routine for 3 months, then a body-weight/calisthenics type routine for example.

For supplements, I use vegetable based protein (not a vegetarian or lactose intolerant, but I avoid dairy). BCAAs. Non-stimulant pre-workout. Fish oil and multi-vitamin tablets. That's it.

Of course, supps are near useless without a clean diet. I don't notice much difference from the supps, but I feel incredible with a clean diet. Whenever i decide to go out and eat something greasy and unhealthy, I feel like rubbish, could only imagine what is going on inside of people with bad diets.

If there is one habit I recommend someone to form, it's eating clean.

Reactions: Kak

Azure

Perpetual Motion
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 12, 2016
Creatine
Fish oil
Milk thistle
D aspartic
Test E
Dianabol
Nolvodex
Clomid
Liv 52

UnrealCreative

It's Only The Beginning.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
San Juan
No supplements as of now.

Fish oil doesn't seem to affect me as I eat a lot of fish as is.
Occasionally I'll take Ashwaghanda with my Coffee for Deep Focus.

Noopept
L-Theanine
OCTOPAMINE
METHYLCOBALAMIN
Huperzine A
Alpha GPC
That's one hell of a concoction. I've taken GPC & L-Theanine to no effect.
Which ingredient has given you the biggest edge? I'm guessing the Noopept?

IceColdFever

Contributor
Sep 24, 2018
Michigan
Testosterone Cypionate 140mg/wk
Flax seed oil (Fish & Seafood allergy)
10,000 IU Vitamin D
Magnesium
Zinc
Megadose Vitamin K
Megadose Vitamin B12 (once a week)
DHEA
Phenibut, cycled.

NewManRising

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2017
White City, OR
Whey protein, Fish oil, Men's Multivitamin, sometimes GABA and 5HTP. The rest I try to get through diet. I have been experimenting with CBD lately (cannabidiol oil)

In the past Citrulline Malate.

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Great topic! I recently started looking into this because for the longest time I didn't take anything.

Currently I started taking a men's multivitamin and have been looking into omega 3s as I barely eat any seafood so I'm sure I'm lacking there.

Are there any brands you guys would recommend that don't give a fishy aftertaste (seems to be the most common complaint)?

Thanks!

DrWumbo

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Sep 22, 2016
Great topic! I recently started looking into this because for the longest time I didn't take anything.

Currently I started taking a men's multivitamin and have been looking into omega 3s as I barely eat any seafood so I'm sure I'm lacking there.

Are there any brands you guys would recommend that don't give a fishy aftertaste (seems to be the most common complaint)?

Thanks!
Use this! Supplement Ratings and Reviews - Labdoor

GPM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

Thanks!
Try Krill oil. It is not fishy at all. Omega 3 pills and/or fish oil pills are fishy as hell. Krill, not at all.

Raoul Duke

I'm not going to live by their rules anymore.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 26, 2016
Try Krill oil. It is not fishy at all. Omega 3 pills and/or fish oil pills are fishy as hell. Krill, not at all.
Krill oil vs fish oil

I don't take any of those pills. I follow the video below. Works for me. Salmon roe, avocado, seaweed, etc...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom