The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What site do you visit...

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
If you want to find out whats happening around where you live?

Is this what you use facebook for? I find facebook to be more about random browsing, picture viewing, and the occasional chat.

For example, if i want to find whats happening in my city tonight where do i look? any bands playing? what bars are hopping? is there a fair/carnival happening anywhere? things like that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
Twitter ... just ask the question and use your city hashtag. Or, use twitter search for the same purpose.

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
i failed to figure out your twitter method.

Nathan M

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2011
I know there are a couple apps on the android system that index local events. One of them is Poynt, the other is WHERE. I'm sure there are some websites for this, but haven't really bothered to check.

It's actually very useful on a mobile platform.

advancedyn

I love the power of the Internet!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 14, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
I have been tossing the idea around of building a community website with a forum, free classifieds, and upcoming events, etc, etc and then maybe selling advertising/dating/etc. I'm just not sure that the ROI would be where I want it to be. I would love to hear any input from anyone who has done this or has more info than I do.

D

DeletedUser397

i failed to figure out your twitter method.
'hashtag' means '#'

So what MamaD was saying is, go to twitter.com, and where it says 'Search' in the field, type "#YourCity" (without quotes of course). Generally, if you live in a bigger city this is more helpful. Try to use any known acronyms. For example "LA" for Los Angeles.

I have been tossing the idea around of building a community website with a forum, free classifieds, and upcoming events, etc, etc and then maybe selling advertising/dating/etc. I'm just not sure that the ROI would be where I want it to be. I would love to hear any input from anyone who has done this or has more info than I do.

I have a friend working on something like this, and he's throwing in the idea of adding QR codes in with a mobile app / facebook app. Not a bad idea if you can start it up dirt cheap and market it well. Craiglist already does a lot of those things. I think the key is getting local businesses / sponsors involved, and rallying/sponsoring local events/groups to help promote the site. Would work better for smaller communities IMO. I personally don't have experience with it, although I've also thought about it. So take my comments with a rock-size grain of salt.

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
no whats twitter? yeah i use twitter. and the hash tag means # . I never knew that either.

I went to twitter and typed in #mycity and it came up a couple city pages, nothing that interested me. I tried it different ways and nothing relevant came up. I even typed some questions with the city state and nothing showed up. Maybe my city is too small (30k+?)

The problem with building any website like this is craigslist and getting people to actually use your site over theirs. There's also meetup.com...which i found is similar to what i was talking about. Thanks nathan for the heads up on those apps. Poynt looks pretty solid. Might be hard to compete with an app geared to do exactly what i asked about.

and you're right hustle about getting the local businesses involved. Convincing them to use your site over anything else may be difficult.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.