The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION What`s your market research process?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

pisco

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Nov 26, 2012
Vienna
Hello guys,

I am an extremely structured person. However, I have been much more on the product development site of things and really have no experience with market research/competitor analysis. Therefore I was wondering, how do you do that?

What`s your market research/competitor analysis process?

I appreciate your answer!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
google is my best friend :)

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah buddy, this will vary a bit from product to product but it is pretty simple to get started.

When I start out, I just brainstorm a list of all of the relevant defining factors for my business and product, things like:
  • who is the target/ideal customer
  • how is their website
  • how is their SM, and what channels do they use
  • packaging
  • pricing
  • fulfillment
  • cart
  • reviews
  • voice (brand)
  • and a good ol' fashioned SWOT
This should be a good place to start. Put these in a spreadsheet, as columns. Then, search around your niche for 5-10 of your top competitors and build them in as rows.

Now just go through and fill it in. I am sure that you will come across more metrics that you will want to add columns for which will be niche specific.

This should get you started, good luck man!

BONUS: when you visit these sites, pay attention to ads you get from these brands after (via re-targeting). This will give you an idea of both:
A- what kinds of ads the competition is using
B- where they are using them

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
Observational field research, but that is easy for being a life coach. Not so easy for other business. Meet people where they are and observe, listen, take notes, ask questions, answer questions. I can tell you I've learned a lot that way. Paying attention to every detail.

OP
OP
pisco

pisco

New Contributor
Nov 26, 2012
Vienna
google is my best friend :)
Thx for your answer! However, I do not believe in some marketing research posts by authors who do not have doneit, but write about it.

Hence, I would be interested in your own experience and YOUR process!

OP
OP
pisco

pisco

New Contributor
Nov 26, 2012
Vienna
@all Thx for your answer!

Do you create the product first or after the market research? So do you do it kind of the lean startup way and create your hypothesis first and validate it? Or use a user centric approach, like asking questions deriving problems and then building the product around this problems?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 12, 2007
Thx for your answer! However, I do not believe in some marketing research posts by authors who do not have doneit, but write about it.

Hence, I would be interested in your own experience and YOUR process!

I use google for everything. I have searched everything. starting with how to do market research. and I am not being sarcastic. I had to find resources for everything. its all in asking the right questions. unless your researching the feminine hygiene industry MY PROCESS will not help you :)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 12, 2007
@all Thx for your answer!

Do you create the product first or after the market research? So do you do it kind of the lean startup way and create your hypothesis first and validate it? Or use a user centric approach, like asking questions deriving problems and then building the product around this problems?
I had an idea first. and then did research to attempt to validate it which led to more questions and so on...

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2014
Its more like a conversation - you cant do it all yourself up front

do
learn
repeat

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
lol how does he know where I've been, or who I know, or what I've experienced. Easy to judge! lol

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2014
why hello there Ian. Just joined the forum to help out with branding but didn't know you were here.
I am a little confused......
But welcome to the forum

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 12, 2007
lol stalker :) just kidding. he must know you irl.?.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2014
Ian it is Matt Ward, Business and Bootstrapping. I need to put a picture on here.
OHHHHHHHHHHH, now is see the picture!

Great to see you here man, you will get a ton out of this forum

AbiH

New Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
Salt Lake City
Yeah buddy, this will vary a bit from product to product but it is pretty simple to get started.

When I start out, I just brainstorm a list of all of the relevant defining factors for my business and product, things like:
  • how is their website
  • packaging
  • pricing
  • fulfillment
  • cart
  • reviews
  • voice (brand)
This should be a good place to start. Put these in a spreadsheet, as columns. Then, search around your niche for 5-10 of your top competitors and build them in as rows.

Now just go through and fill it in. I am sure that you will come across more metrics that you will want to add columns for which will be niche specific.

BONUS: when you visit these sites, pay attention to ads you get from these brands after (via re-targeting). This will give you an idea of both:
This information is so helpful!!! Thanks!

AbiH

New Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
Salt Lake City

• how is their website
  • packaging
  • pricing
  • fulfillment
  • cart
  • reviews
  • voice (brand)

Sorry, what do you mean by Cart and SWOT?

Cheers!

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Sorry, what do you mean by Cart and SWOT?

Cheers!
I think by cart, it means whether the actual purchasing step works smoothly.

I've had a few buy pages give up on me before, as it was either too buggy, slow or crowded.
Or didn't have a wide range of payment options (credit card, Paypal, etc)
And that meant I didn't buy from there.

Make sure it's easy for people to buy from you.

For SWOT, it's a basic analytic process of earmarking Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats of the business idea.

Mind though that there's many ways to classify them, so it can be very subjective, even if you try to allocate scores.

Marty-WOB

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 27, 2020
Germany
Another thing that comes to mind is Google Trends. It can help you determine the search volume in a certain time frame and also which countries are searching for your keywords.
It's also useful to determine if a product has seasonal demand (for example christmas or summer).

Kevin88660

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello guys,

I am an extremely structured person. However, I have been much more on the product development site of things and really have no experience with market research/competitor analysis. Therefore I was wondering, how do you do that?

What`s your market research/competitor analysis process?

Talk to people in the business.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
How do I sell to a different country with an accent? And a foreign number. Cold e-mails don't...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom