The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What next after so much graduate school?

Share your FTE moment...

touchance

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 11, 2018
Recently I've been re-reading The Unscripted and I resonate with the pain and struggle of slowlane dead life described on every page. I am pretty much stuck right now in last year of PhD. Here is my intro earlier: INTRO - My story: SCRIPTED living in education/academia
A couple things happened between now and then: I started an internship in a big pharma company in another city (while trying to finish dissertation remotely), and I am going to divorce soon. I was just trying to get out of school to see what industry is like but this job quickly went stale, as I never felt that I fit in the "organizational culture" of companies or schools etc. It just feels fake to act like I'm content and trying to be a "model employee" or to see any meaning in jobs. The thing is, I am an international student, and I'm thinking about moving back to my home country (seriously after all these years, although I've been living abroad for almost a decade), since there is very little hope for me to start my own business here in America because of international status.
I feel pretty uncertain about the future, but getting into PhD and giving it a go in academia felt like a colossal waste of time. It's not been easy this year since I am new in this city, and I lost funding from school because I gave up graduate assistantship for the industrial internship. To be honest, I don't enjoy living in a big city and having landlords again. I want to quit the internship, school and even this country every minute.
Can anyone reason with me if I should give up, go back and start over again, or endure staying in school for the last few months?
Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Recently I've been re-reading The Unscripted and I resonate with the pain and struggle of slowlane dead life described on every page. I am pretty much stuck right now in last year of PhD. Here is my intro earlier: INTRO - My story: SCRIPTED living in education/academia
A couple things happened between now and then: I started an internship in a big pharma company in another city (while trying to finish dissertation remotely), and I am going to divorce soon. I was just trying to get out of school to see what industry is like but this job quickly went stale, as I never felt that I fit in the "organizational culture" of companies or schools etc. It just feels fake to act like I'm content and trying to be a "model employee" or to see any meaning in jobs. The thing is, I am an international student, and I'm thinking about moving back to my home country (seriously after all these years, although I've been living abroad for almost a decade), since there is very little hope for me to start my own business here in America because of international status.
I feel pretty uncertain about the future, but getting into PhD and giving it a go in academia felt like a colossal waste of time. It's not been easy this year since I am new in this city, and I lost funding from school because I gave up graduate assistantship for the industrial internship. To be honest, I don't enjoy living in a big city and having landlords again. I want to quit the internship, school and even this country every minute.
Can anyone reason with me if I should give up, go back and start over again, or endure staying in school for the last few months?
Thank you.

If you're in the final year of a PhD you should find a way to finish it. I don't know what your PhD is in, but I do know that ALL PhDs are useful credibility markers that grant you the magic super power of authority. This is why I'm enrolled in a Master's program right now and will earn a Doctoral degree afterward.

A PhD won't magically make you a great business person. It won't hand you a successful business. But it will open doors that are locked tight for others who never took their training as far. So while I don't have any specific suggestions about business for you, it would be a total waste to throw away a PhD in your final year even if you had to pay out of pocket.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If you're in the final year of a PhD you should find a way to finish it. I don't know what your PhD is in, but I do know that ALL PhDs are useful credibility markers that grant you the magic super power of authority. This is why I'm enrolled in a Master's program right now and will earn a Doctoral degree afterward.

A PhD won't magically make you a great business person. It won't hand you a successful business. But it will open doors that are locked tight for others who never took their training as far. So while I don't have any specific suggestions about business for you, it would be a total waste to throw away a PhD in your final year even if you had to pay out of pocket.
I strongly agree with this. Higher education shows that you have a significant degree of competency in something. Yes there's a lot of backlash towards higher education recently, but every demographic study shows educated people earn more, and live more satisfying lives. A PhD will not hurt, only help your ability to do business.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
For you, the "PhD/no PhD" question is not the real question.

The real question for you is "How am I going to succeed at anything in life with my current sh*tty mindset?"

Do yourself a favor and print out your own post and highlight all the negativity, whining, limiting beliefs, and complaining.

You are in a pretty awesome position. You just can't see it.

I don't mean to rip on you. That's just what I see. Take it for what it is worth. Maybe nothing. Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.