The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is your reading setup?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys, I'm interested to see what people do when they read. Also seeing if there are any tips for reading to retain information. I struggle with this.

Do you guys have specific spaces?

Anywhere?

e-Books?

Physical?

Take brakes every 15 mins?

Music playing? Quiet?

I'm interested in knowing.

I personally read on my couch with my light above me in complete silence.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I read in my bed first thing in the morning when I wake up (Miracle Morning routine) And before I go to bed at night...Makes me INSTANTLY sleepy.

I read from Kindle app on iPhone/iPad, as well as read physical books. *Kindle books are convenient, but having an amazing book collection is starting to become my preference.

Its easier to retain info if you read the books out loud, but reading out loud makes me read slower.

Its also easier for me to retain info when I read from a physical book, vs on the kindle reader.

I have audio books too, that I listen to in my car, those are the absolute hardest for me to retain info with, I find myself starting the same chapter over and over again.

I am someone who can't do anything with TV or music on, not even clean up... Def couldn't read, or think deeply with that stuff on.

I like it very quiet all the time, no matter what I'm doing. I can't fall asleep if either are on, nor can I focus if radio/tv are on "in the background" I don't even like having conversations with people with TV or music on.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Absolutely hate ebooks, I need a physical book in front of me.

I'll read it anywhere though: laying down in bed, at the beach, sitting, etc.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I read in my bed first thing in the morning when I wake up (Miracle Morning routine) And before I go to bed at night...Makes me INSTANTLY sleepy.

I read from Kindle app on iPhone/iPad, as well as read physical books. *Kindle books are convenient, but having an amazing book collection is starting to become my preference.

Its easier to retain info if you read the books out loud, but reading out loud makes me read slower.

Its also easier for me to retain info when I read from a physical book, vs on the kindle reader.

I have audio books too, that I listen to in my car, those are the absolute hardest for me to retain info with, I find myself starting the same chapter over and over again.

I am someone who can't do anything with TV or music on, not even clean up... Def couldn't read, or think deeply with that stuff on.

I like it very quiet all the time, no matter what I'm doing. I can't fall asleep if either are on, nor can I focus if radio/tv are on "in the background" I don't even like having conversations with people with TV or music on.

I'll try the reading out loud, I can see that helping substantially.

I love my kindle. It sucks that I cant have a bookshelf. But the kindle is too comfortable. Plus it makes me read faster.

Why does the Kindle make you read faster?

Dbbuzbee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 8, 2016
Washington DC
I have personally been taking advantage if Amazon/Audibles deal if you purchase certain Kindle EBooks, you can get the accompanying audio book for less than $5. Then, you can play the book that is read by the author but also read along. This fully immerses you into the book by appealing both to your visual and hearing which leaves little to no room for wandering or distraction.

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
I love my kindle. It sucks that I cant have a bookshelf. But the kindle is too comfortable. Plus it makes me read faster.

You actually read 25% slower when you read online compared to a physical book. This is all according to a survey I can't recall which one. But, you could always test this out yourself.

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
I'll try the reading out loud, I can see that helping substantially.

Reading out loud for one will take more time like determined2012 said, and most books only have about 10% - 14% of useful information the rest is usually stories.

If you would like inbox me and I can send you over an effective way to speed read, remember more, and actually internalize what you read.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I have tried many different options/structures

By far I hate ebooks the most

What I found that allowed me to recall and enjoy books more was having the physical copy

I found the best way for me to take notes is to write them down as I go onto a legal pad (i write with sharpies of different colors, it makes a difference).

Plus, i now only read books relevant to my situation, if it is not currently relevant but will be in the future I will put it off

I also started utilizing my college library and and county library to check out books for FREE instead of paying for them.

Plus, knowing you have to turn it in, in X amount of days will be a good kick in the butt to finish in it sooner.

EDIT: Problem I also had with eBooks was how easily distracted I got.

On the topic of reading books, i just finished Ogilvy on Advertising which I picked up my college library (finished all 218 pages in just a short 48 hours).

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When I *really* want to digest a book, I "read with a pencil". I will underline standout sentences, and write notes in the margins.

Usually I don't do this though. I read because I don't watch the TV, often with no specific goal in mind.

Most of my reading is in here tbh...

I like a good podcast or short audio book.

MRSupply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jan 2, 2016
Pennsylvania, United States
I have a tablet that I read ebooks on with the Amazon Kindle app, but I also read physical books.

I read the ebook throughout the day when I have extra time, and when I'm traveling.

I read physical books before I go to bed (because I'm on a tablet, I don't sleep as well when I read from the tablet before going to bed).

A

Anon1351z

I've recently been experimenting with a service called Blinkist.. they've taken 1500+ non-fiction novels and essentially boiled them down to the "Coles Notes" version that you can read in fifteen minutes. I think it's $50 a year.

Obviously, you lose some depth and context when reading the shortened version but I think for the Pareto fans out there, it's an interesting way to quickly learn about any given subject. They also have everything in audiobook format. A few times, I've read the Blinkist version and then went and purchased the full book.

For regular reading, I use a Kindle in bed or audiobook on the road. I've generally found I don't absorb audiobooks very well, though... especially with complex topics. I lose my train of thought, the audio keeps going, then I zone back in and have to rewind.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Call me old fashioned, but I like paper books.

When I'm trying to retain information I'm reading. I do a few things.

First - I read the chapter or document I'm seeking to gain information from.

Second - I reread the chapter, or information and take notes by hand on a legal pad. I'll summarize key points.

Third - I type up the notes on my computer and add more details if my bullets require expansion.

Seems to be working well.

It really depends to. Some business related book or books about a technical skill you're trying to learn will best be retained if you utilize the information. So I also try to apply the skill set I'm reading about to something I'm doing in real life. I learn best by doing.

Some other things.

I usually stick to a chapter or lesson at a time and don't move on in the book/lesson until I learned the concept.

I listen to music but nothing with lyrics.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Outside, on the balcony or in the garage. Reading inside puts me to sleep.

Edit: No music. eBook or paperback. Doesn't matter, as long as it's in English

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I go to a local coffee shop. I put on classical music such as Schubert or Mendelssohn or Indie music such Death Cab For Cutie or Radical Face etc. I also take notes whenever I read in a notebook.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.