The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the minimum amount one needs to be in the position of "FU"?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I also think a question should be "Who do you want to say F*ck You to?"

Probably the typical, average middle-class American? (the old bosses, "haters", jealous peers, etc)

The more money you make, the less you care about "stunting" on average people. I don't care anymore about the "small stunting and privileges between what a $40k salary can get you versus what a $60k salary can get you or any of the small middle-class marginal things like an extra trip during the year than another can get."

Actually; as you approach breaking the $300k mark.. I found it to be the complete opposite, meaning...

The more money I've made, the more I wanted to "hide" how much money I truly make from friends & family & old social circles because I didn't want to make them feel bad about themselves and compare themselves to me. Especially my male counterpart peers in the late 20's and early 30 stages as suicide rates & depression for males are very high here, and my suspicion is "life progress comparison" being a big part of it.

Always remember too that there is ALWAYS someone richer than you doing something you can't do or driving something you can't. Always..

A hundred-thousandaire can say F*ck You to average middle class but get F*ck You'd by a millionaire.

A millionaire can say F*ck You to a hundred-thousandaire but get F*ck You'd by a hundred-millionaire.

A billionaire can say F*ck You to a multi-millionaire but get F*ck You'd by a hundred-billionaire.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
There is an old joke that goes like this

A man walks into a restaurant with a full-grown ostrich behind him. The waitress asks them for their orders.
The man says, 'A hamburger, fries and a coke,' and turns to the ostrich, 'What's yours?'
'I'll have the same,' says the ostrich.
A short time later the waitress returns with the order 'That will be $9.40 please,' and the man reaches into his pocket and pulls out the exact change for payment.
The next day, the man and the ostrich come again and the man says, 'A hamburger, fries and a coke'
The ostrich says, 'I'll have the same.'
Again the man reaches into his pocket and pays with exact change.
This becomes routine until the two enter again. 'The usual?' asks the waitress.
'No, this is Friday night, so I will have a steak, baked potato and a salad,' says the man.
'Same,' says the ostrich.
Shortly the waitress brings the order and says, 'That will be $32.62.'
Once again the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket and places it on the table.
The waitress cannot hold back her curiosity any longer. 'Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact change in your pocket every time?
'Well,' says the man, 'several years ago I was cleaning the attic and found an old lamp. When I rubbed it, a Genie apeared and offered me two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything, I would just put my hand in my pocket and the right amount of money would always be there.'
'That's brilliant!' says the waitress. Most people would ask for a million dollars or something, but you'll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live. It's brilliant!'
'That's right. Whether it's a gallon of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exact amount of money is always there,' says the man.
The waitress asks, 'What's with the ostrich?'
The man sighs, pauses and answers, 'My second wish was for a tall chick with a big butt and long legs who agrees with everything I say.'

To me, that man is in the ultimate position of F*ck You
He can live where he wishes travel as he wishes and eat what he wishes.

To decide your position of F*ck you you need to know what it means for you.
For some to get to the same place they need a little "lifestyle planning" decide on what car,house,travel and leisure they want...then find the bare minimum they need to make it happen. then setting up an income stream that provides just enough to pay for that.

For others it means it means never having to pay for anything again (Home and Car that never need replacing, taxes payed for and food for the next year stored in the cellar)
.......and yet for others it means guns and a bunker buried on a stretch of land that they could hunt off of should the world end.

What does it mean for you?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What's 7000 billion in your bank worth if you die tomorrow?

In my account it would go toward cryogenic resuscitation research to revive me from cryo-preservation. So .. worth a lot.

But for most people, nothing. :playful:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
In my account it would go toward cryogenic resuscitation research to revive me from cryo-preservation. So .. worth a lot.

But for most people, nothing. :playful:

I would hire top scientists to build me a time machine so I could go back to the 80s and steal Biff's sports almanac. That's not nothing.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
That's how you make a decision? And in this case, a crucial one?

If money is the only factor you have, you might as well marry your boss.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
I almost spit out my coke when you asked for an "exact amount".

There's no exact amount, and you're thinking the wrong way.

A better question would be, when did you feel the time was right to quit your slowlane job?

Elon Musk had a few good quotes about this a while back. He said he lived off hot dogs for a while, basically living off almost nothing - $1 / day , that's when he decided he could be an Entrepreneur.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Do you want to live here?

retirement-blog-financing-a-tiny-house.jpg

Or here?

a-former-amazon-exec-has-listed-his-miami-mansion-for-39-million.jpg

Or somewhere in between?

The answer will help determine your #.
I don't want to own either but I want to be able to rent either one when ever and for as long as I care to hang out in it. :)

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
but the bigger home will require more property taxes maintenance etc plus we dont know how much that would go up which could be exponentially
Get so wealthy
i have been wondering what is the exact amount that you need in order to tell your boss it's over. which one works better, being a millionaire or just simply have income that is 5 times more than all your expenses combined.
I am willing to tell someone to FU even if it means I end up living in a cardboard box under a bridge. Nothing is worth losing your sense of self worth and life is way too short to be bad situation for any length of time. All the best.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
A hundred-thousandaire can say F*ck You to average middle class but get F*ck You'd by a millionaire.

A millionaire can say F*ck You to a hundred-thousandaire but get F*ck You'd by a hundred-millionaire.

A billionaire can say F*ck You to a multi-millionaire but get F*ck You'd by a hundred-billionaire.

And Bill Gates can say FU to the entire planet.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whatever the number, saving $1 today makes you $1 closer tomorrow.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
i have been wondering what is the exact amount that you need in order to tell your boss it's over. which one works better, being a millionaire or just simply have income that is 5 times more than all your expenses combined.

very simple , a guy in France made a video.

we are talking about being free here, not rich. let's be clear.

firing your boss means you are free as well, not the next bilionaire, let's be realistic

ok, after this warning,here is a french guy who made it

you don't understand french but you can still watch the video and have a hint about his lifestyle

again, we are talking about freedom : you have no boss anymore

so this is not the milionaire life.

the guy is free and all he needeed was 30 000 us dollars to own his empire in the wood

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkGTm_FnWk

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
very simple , a guy in France made a video.

we are talking about being free here, not rich. let's be clear.

firing your boss means you are free as well, not the next bilionaire, let's be realistic

ok, after this warning,here is a french guy who made it

you don't understand french but you can still watch the video and have a hint about his lifestyle

again, we are talking about freedom : you have no boss anymore

so this is not the milionaire life.

the guy is free and all he needeed was 30 000 us dollars to own his empire in the wood

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkGTm_FnWk

This guy is a f'ing legend!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
in theory you can be a bum on the street and be able to have freedom

you can start today!

luxury on the other hand when your flying in a jet, chauffeured in a limo etc...$5-$10m id say

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
This guy is a f'ing legend!

the guy is a local legend but what's interesting is that he is safe , far away from the civil war that's coming in France

while people will fight for their life in the street against looters, he will probably gather with farmers and build a local empire

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
the guy is a local legend but what's interesting is that he is safe , far away from the civil war that's coming in France

while people will fight for their life in the street against looters, he will probably gather with farmers and build a local empire

What about finding soulmates? Does he have a wife /gf already?

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Everybody's number is different. Here's mine: (passive income) + (wealth creation margin) - (expenses) = FUN, where passive income is an amount of income you generate that is not directly correlated to time, effort or location; expenses is the amount required to fulfill your needs and live the lifestyle you desire, and wealth creation margin is the money remaining to reinvest, build and grow long term wealth. Just make sure you have the N before you say FU. I did it backwards. :wideyed:

10lapsdown

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 5, 2015
Perth, West Oz
I have a rough number calculated exactly as @LuckyPup put it above. I could halve it if my wife & I wanted to move to a nearby seaside town rather than living in the city. I could halve it by downsizing our house and thus reducing our mortgage. I could've halved it by not having kids(!!).
But what that number was used for and how it has changed over the years has been directly proportional to my life and what makes me happy. Also what I have learned and decided is truly important to me. At it's most basic, when I was younger it was a number that meant I could live large and luxuriously. These days, to be honest, the number reflects the one thing I want to do more than anything; get up with my kids in the morning, have breakfast, get them ready and drop them at school. And just as importantly; be there to pick them up after their day is done. And that is what it's really all about as others have said; time. The time to be happy. Find what makes you really happy and the time to do it and then look for a number that provides you the freedom to pursue it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you want to live here?

29426649064_f752bd915a_b.jpg

Or here?

a-former-amazon-exec-has-listed-his-miami-mansion-for-39-million.jpg

Or somewhere in between?

The answer will help determine your #.

The best starting point to answer this question (all kidding aside) is to start with your living situation, and what YOU want for it.

If you and the family are cool with a 900 square foot tiny house, this will determine a lot, vs the 10,000 square foot mansion.

For instance, take a look at the difference in how much "FU" money you need to free up 100% of your time....

The tiny house has no mortgage and is on planted on 1/2 acre of land with a loan of $100/mo.
It's upkeep/utilities is only $100/mo.
It's insurance is only $50/mo.
Taxes: $100/mo

$350/mo.

So the minimum amount you need to "FU" your living situation is: $84,000. (350 X 12 / .05) = 84000.

The mansion:
Mortgage: $12,000/mo
Insurance: $1000/mo
Utilities/Upkeep: $1,500/mo
Taxes: $2,500/mo

$17,000/mo.

So the minimum amount you need to "FU" your living situation in a mansion is: $4,080,000. (17,000 X 12 / .05) = 4080000.

While I'm not a big fan of the tiny house stuff, the idea of being totally FREE to pursue a higher purpose is quite alluring, and I can see why it is now a feasible option for a lot of people. It was something I'd consider back when I was in my early 20s.

Your biggest nut will always be your living quarters.

Knock this expense down to the minimum and suddenly the world opens up to you. You can take bigger risks, take longer droughts, etc.

Autobahn1985

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 10, 2017
Germany
@V8Bill s Audiobook helped me a great deal calculating this number. While property and housing is immensly expensive here in germany, I could still live comfotably with like 3500 Euro. These are the basics. So I double that amount, and I need 7k a month after taxes. Get that in passive income, and you reached the FU stage... No lambos on this budget, but my Nissan 370z convertible and an infiniti SUV are much more bang for a buck anyways... In the narrow streets of my city, I would probably have my lambo dented by some old lady driver, anyways :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.