The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the biggest slowlane thing that you still do today?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I just drove 1 hour back and forth for a small drone I bought on an auction site. That's pretty slowlane right haha :smuggy:

What is your biggest slowlane sin that you still do?

Please confess me your sins :vamp:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
So if a slowlaner wants to be a slowlaner he isn't a slowlaner? :p

We could take this to new heights. :)

I mean that you are allowed to do things that you want to do. You can spend money and take time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

First, I wouldn't call Slowlane activities "sins" as a lot of them are rooted in financial discipline.

As for Slowlane like stuff that I'm guilty of:

1) I use coupons, although I don't actively seek them out.
2) I drive a 10-year-old car with 100K+ miles.
3) I try to minimize bills by conserving energy; turning off lights, limiting water use, etc.

I'm sure there's more I'll think of later, but those are the most obvious.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
1) I use coupons, although I don't actively seek them out.
2) I drive a 10-year-old car with 100K+ miles.
3) I try to minimize bills by conserving energy; turning off lights, limiting water use, etc.

Those actually sound like fastlane habits. Or wealthy habits, as a better term.

I'd say slowlane habits are the opposite because they encourage pandering to appearances and disregarding costs:

- Never use coupons, don't want to appear cheap
- Always drive a new car, to appear wealthy
- Disregard the cost of utilities

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I got up on time and and went to a JOB.

I too frolic in the slow lane.

However, my slow lane activities are part of a much larger, fast lane picture.

For instance, my job helps support my cost of living + fast lane activities.

The important thing to remember is that you do something every day to help keep you moving forward.

Every day when I commute, I listen to audio books. Or I listen to the news radio to try and spot problems that I may be able to solve.

After all, all of what the news talks about these days are the problems people are having... Makes it easy.

Chatty06

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 13, 2016
I just drove 1 hour back and forth for a small drone I bought on an auction site. That's pretty slowlane right haha :smuggy:

Please confess me your sins :vamp:

Doing too good of a job for my employer. As a result they continue to pay me more and more and I have a horrible case of golden handcuffs (hate the job but can't leave because I'm making too much money).

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Man I love sweet tea! It goes against my sugar/diet program but....

G

Guest34764

I haven't even worked out at a gym all summer :banghead:

Although I do some biking and my muscle mass is maintained it still hurts.

EDIT: and to make it worse I don't have a Gym pass because I don't want to spend the 25$ right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Chatty06

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 13, 2016
Perfect definition of slowlane: Otherwise intelligent people with good intentions, handcuffing themselves by conspicuous consumption/ignorance of opportunity costs.

I wouldn't call it ignorance. I think in most cases of golden handcuffs it's a deliberate choice to keep the lifestyle and the comfort of that lifestyle rather than making a dramatic change and taking actions that will lead to unknown results in hopes of a better lifestyle in the future.

It's a gamble. When you are broke the return on this gamble is asymetric. When you are comfortable the risks of making dramatic change increase dramatically. People just decide to go with a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush mentality. That works for a while until you realize how short life is and you are wasting it away in the 9-5 grind.

G

GuestUser450

it's a deliberate choice to keep the lifestyle and the comfort of that lifestyle
Agreed.

...that will lead to unknown results...
But that's ignorance. Nothing to do with I.Q. or being willfully dumb. Rather, not knowing there are better alternatives, both statistically and in potential upside.

Most people who read TMFL never knew what they were missing; we assume wealth is magic, tragic or suspect. The biggest message of the book is the proof that it's not random or unknown - it's a repeatable system with pretty good odds, and while not guaranteed, it compares favorably with what's been marketed to us as "the dream".

It's a gamble. When you are broke the return on this gamble is asymetric. When you are comfortable the risks of making dramatic change increase dramatically
But the numbers tell us it's not. It's much riskier to have one job with many people who can ask you to leave than a vehicle of increasing value that can't be derailed by any one person.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
For instance, my job helps support my cost of living + fast lane activities.

The important thing to remember is that you do something every day to help keep you moving forward.
+1 to that! Every day, something, some forward progress, somewhere.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I spend time caring about whether what I'm doing is slowlane or Fastlane.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser450

Where are the statistics?
I see how it could be taken that way: I meant, literally, the ability to create rapid wealth, e.g., odds of being a slowlane millionaire after 30 years of climbing the ladder vs. being one from your own business in 10.

I know plenty of people who make more money in their 9-5 than they could ever realistically make as an entrepreneur
Ok. But while having a great paying job only seems incrementally risky compared to entrepreneurship, money made as an employee is worth less than the same made as an entrepreneur; 100k in salary vs. 100k in profit this year + the value you created x your industry multiplier if you sold. And that's before factoring in how much time is being traded for that income.

Wasn't trying to disparage "slowlaners" however they're defined, only highlight that more people would choose this path if they knew it wasn't a crapshoot.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Where are the statistics?

I know plenty of people who make more money in their 9-5 than they could ever realistically make as an entrepreneur, and they are happy in their jobs. I'd be doing them a major disservice to suggest otherwise to them.

...clearly depends on your abilities....

s.o. with 80k net per year (9-5) can be a horrible entrepreneur and eventually make way less money as an entrepreneur.
s.o. with 150k net (9-5) doesn't work 9-5 and is clearly able to "function" inside a corporate latter. The question is can he/she perform on his/her own (outside corporate ladder)?
If the answer is yes, I would still say: go, start something.

Clearly depends on the position relatively seen. Can be broken down to the question:

Is the person a better poltician/worker inside a corporate ladder or is he/she limited by the ladder?

In general, I think the people coming here are the ones that can actually make some independent decisions and influence their way with it. So the latter in my question...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, I unloaded a container of boxes on Tuesday, 14000 lbs later, my back and biceps are sore.
Today, I passed an REI, turned around and went back because I had $11.70 in REI dividends to spend and ended up spending $135.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
...clearly depends on your abilities....

I agree. And I would also suggest that *MOST* people making enough to have "golden handcuffs" on would probably do fine as entrepreneurs. Naturally, there are the occasional overpaid people in every industry, etc, but if someone is providing enough value to a company to earn a 200k annual salary, for example, I'm sure that they could use their skill set and knowledge to create something for themselves.

But it's not for everyone. It carries different risks, and some people are less comfortable with that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.