The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best way of calculating air courier cost?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Every time I am working with a manufacture, I always question their quote on door to door air courier. Some manufactures I work with are very reasonable, while others are extraordinary high. What is the proper way of calculating air courier cost to the US?

Based on my understanding, the quote is based on chargeable (volumetric) weight. I believe the formula is the greater of the actual weight or LxWxH/5000. For example: My package is 29 KG and dimensions are 60x40x30cm. The volumetric weight is 72,000/5000 = 14.4 KG.

So now I have my chargeable weight of 29 KG. It is estimated that it costs $3 - $5 per KG. So I am looking at around max $145 for air courier from China to US.

Is there a calculator that can give me an accurate cost instead of an rough estimate? If I use Fedex or DHL, I calculated above $1,000. I've used other calculators found on google and I am getting the same results.

At what point when you would think a manufacture is completely ripping you off. In the range of +20% of what you calculated? What is your threshold?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
So now I have my chargeable weight of 29 KG. It is estimated that it costs $3 - $5 per KG. So I am looking at around max $145 for air courier from China to US.

There are more charges you have to consider that can easily add a a few hundred dollars extra. I dont think there are any accurate calculators. You should ask some local freight forwarders for quotes.

For your package I would expect something between 300-400$

saigon

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 25, 2011
NYC/CT/GA
Some Freight Forwarders are very competitive with regular air couriers (DHL/FedEx) after a certain weight, least that's what my FF says and he's been accurate.

I suggest reaching out to a couple forwarders, build a relationship, and they can get you quotes for both sample orders (and sample collection if getting multiple samples) as well as Air and Sea freight. If you need a contact, PM me. I was just quoted for air freight recently and it was around the $3/KG price you mentioned.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
My FF has also been helpful getting quotes. Especially a large forwarder can tell you what their last shipment was per KG out of that port. Mine also always offers a break once the weight is over 500KG

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
My FF has also been helpful getting quotes. Especially a large forwarder can tell you what their last shipment was per KG out of that port. Mine also always offers a break once the weight is over 500KG

I've contacted like 7 different local freight forwarders via e-mail and phone and none of them responded. I will keep going down the list.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
I've contacted like 7 different local freight forwarders via e-mail and phone and none of them responded. I will keep going down the list.
I had to contact half a dozen of them and left my name and number along with an email. A majority said they would give me a call...they never did. Finally I just kept calling and talked to everyone in the sales department until I found a guy willing to do his job. Now I have just been using his company exclusively .

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
If you have a DHL account don't rule them out. I don't have experience with using them on a large order but I guess they just came out with a new pricing schedule for shipments over 300lbs. Its supposed to be very competitive.

ChrisLF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 31, 2015
I noticed that by sea it is way cheaper. What would be the Sea ports that the goods would be delivered to from china to USA? Can I choose or is it one specific. Also after goods get here what are my best form of transportation? Item weighs 320kg.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
Sea is going to be cheaper but of course take much longer. Air is around 5 days in my experience. 320kg is not too large for air

ChrisLF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 31, 2015
Yes , I am getting a saving of $900 by shipping through sea. Just need to know what to expect and the procedures once it arrives.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
I would suggest reading Walter Hays book on importing. He is also a valuable source on all things importing here on the forum

ChrisLF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 31, 2015
Really $97 thanks , can't do it barely have the time to read books. Thinking of just driving to the state where package would be dropped of $350 in gas . Still saving alot of money. Any other suggestions?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Really $97 thanks , can't do it barely have the time to read books. Thinking of just driving to the state where package would be dropped of $350 in gas . Still saving alot of money. Any other suggestions?

There will be import companies working near the port/airport where your package lands. Just reach out and get a few quotes for handling the paperwork and forwarding on your shipment. Much easier and probably cheaper than the time, effort and fuel involved in doing it yourself.

In the past I have even had a company at Heathrow fast track a consignment, repackage it (so the client didn't have my manufacturing details) and courier it to central London for me in less than a day for a time critical order.

ChrisLF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 31, 2015
There will be import companies working near the port/airport where your package lands. Just reach out and get a few quotes for handling the paperwork and forwarding on your shipment. Much easier and probably cheaper than the time, effort and fuel involved in doing it yourself.

In the past I have even had a company at Heathrow fast track a consignment, repackage it (so the client didn't have my manufacturing details) and courier it to central London for me in less than a day for a time critical order.
Do you know what port would a shipment from China usually arrive at?

Just contacted a local company to get a transportation price. I hope that it's not to much for me.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

OK, well you should be able to choose a port in reason. In the UK I've used Felixstow for containers but mostly had stuff air freighted to a couple of airports depending on the goods and courier used.

The most popular US ports for China imports in 2010 were:

Los Angeles
Long Beach
Newark
Seattle
Savannah
Oakland
and Tacoma

And I doubt much has changed since.

You can find an exhaustive list here:

http://www.worldportsource.com/trade/imports/value/CHN.php

Nrr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 12, 2015
I have a question about shipping, is my first time importing goods so ... How can i have the control of my shipping? Usually is my supplier who send all ....

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Take a sleeping bag with you and plenty of food and drink to keep you going until you get to the head of the queue at the port.

You will be treated as an unwelcome outsider, and likely deliberately given wrong directions.

You might have gathered that I don't recommend DIY collection of your shipment from a seaport. From airports it is not so painful.

It seems to me that you could be in for a big $$$ shock when you try to clear and collect the shipment. You might not be saving $900. Do yourself a favor and contact a freight forwarder to handle the entire process from China to your door.

If you want more help you need to answer:
  • What is the Incoterm basis on which you are shipping? If you are saving $900 through shipping by sea, I suspect the Term is CFR or DAT or DAP, unless the supplier has used recently obsolete terms.
  • Are you arranging the shipping or is your supplier doing it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.