The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the BEST "value" you ever paid for?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is the best "value" you ever paid for?

Just curious to hear people's experiences.

For me, my foam roller was a great value. It cost around $20 bucks but helps relieve my back and neck of stress and pain. On bad days, rolling on this thing becomes the best $20 bucks I ever spent!

717E9lDfEaL._AC_SR201,266_.jpg

What is the best $X you ever spent?

There is no limit ... if you spent $80K on a Corvette and felt is was the best value ever, then that's OK!

Let's hear it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
rack.jpg

Besides buying TMF and Unscripted ? (seriously)

This ^^^

And the necessary Olympic weights and bench to go with it.

About $2,000 all said and done, and by far some of the best money I've ever spent.

Saves gym membership fee's, save HUGE amounts of time since it's in my garage, and keeps me healthy.

And I don't have to deal with the "New Year's Resolution" gym goers every January (that alone is worth way more than what I spent haha)

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'd say for me it's probably business meet up / networking events, but not for the reason you're probably thinking.

First event:

My first Fastlane summit (2013 or 2014 I think?). I met a ton of new people, some of which have become my closest friends, and we are all business owners. Very cheap compared to the value I got (MJ, raise the ticket prices!!)

DCBKK in 2015: After I took off living around the world, I heard some rumblings about DCBKK. It's a decent sized event in Bangkok with 250+ people, and I met some really cool entrepreneurs doing cool things. I also now have a network of people around the world, so when I fly into a new country / continent I'll likely know someone there. I've been to this event 3 times and spent, probably, $5k-6k total (including the $750 ticket price).

Honestly, this year's Fastlane Summit I'm just going to hang out with friends and meet new people. I'm sure the speakers will be excellent, but for me it's a great way to see some of my favorite people in one place.

I'm also going to Traffic and Conversion Summit in San Diego after the Fastlane Summit, I expect to meet new entrepreneurs. This event is the biggest one I've been to yet (1000 people). I respect the hell out of Ryan Deiss and crew, but I'm not a koolaid drinker.

So if you take anything from this one post, SPEND THE MONEY to attend business events.

Relationships with GREAT people are a key part to happiness and fulfillment, over money for sure.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps premature as I haven't dealt with the maintenance yet, but thus far I'm enjoying my off-road machine as a great value. I feel like a kid in this thing, whipping around the sand, the trails, and conquering mountains. I also get the enjoyment of "hiking" in some incredible picturesque nature-scapes without the fatigue. There is also an incredible feeling of defiance in it ... when you see a large hill composed of rock boulders, you can say, "FU", I'm going up it!

While I knew I lived in a great place for nature and exploring, I never really spent time really digging into all the great places. This range and the big canyon is just minutes from my house.

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

My German Shepherd.

+1. Ours was just a few hours away from being euthanized. The pound labeled him a danger. The truth turned out that he is the most friendliest dog I ever owned, let alone met. You could put a t-Bone steak on your face and he would gracefully remove it, then lick your face dry.

Not a day goes by when I realize how f*cked up animal care is around the world, even for man's best friend, the dog.

IMG_0054.jpg

My huge mouse pad/desk mat.

OMG that's great. I'm a buyer on that.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
If I were to choose only one thing, I'd say the Fastlane INSIDERS membership (don't remember how much it cost a few years ago, probably about $70) - made me start my own progress thread which helped me immensely in reaching my financial goals.

If I can add more, then from non-business stuff:
  • vasectomy for $500. Aside from the INSIDERS, can't beat the ROI on that - in peace of mind and immense financial costs I'd never have.
  • my rock climbing gear for a few hundred bucks for everything - love this sport.
  • a foam roller for a few bucks - it's incredible how effective it is in helping relieve pain, yet it costs so little.
That's all that comes to my mind at the moment so I guess these are the most important "best value" purchases.

Paul Schuyler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Aug 7, 2016
The Woodlands, TX
Interesting thread. I'd probably say this stuff.

2.jpg
Not the brand per se, but the product category. If you're not familiar its a (rigid) natural form of salt that eliminates the need for body deodorant. Regular deodorants (old spice, etc.) try to stop the skin from actually sweating via aluminum. This stuff, when its rubbed on wet skin, it creates a film that prevents bacteria on the skin from forming for most of the day. Bacteria is the source of the body odor. I've used these things for years and the big rocks last about 6 months to a year for around $6-8. Makes obsolete the entire category of body deodorants sold at every supermarket or pharmacy. They don't contain any perfume like deodorants. That opens you up to use more subdued, subtle and suave colones, if that's your thing (it's not mine). My only adjustment? I carve 'grips' into mine or occasionally you drop the things and they shatter.

Last edited:

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
My German Shepherd. Hate to think of him as something I paid for, but that's exactly what I did. And now he's part of the family.

When I've had a rough day he's always pumped to see me.

When I need to think, he's always down for a walk. (Instead of sleeping, he's here at my feet at 5:24AM)

And most importantly, when I travel he's with my family always watching and listening.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I paid 400 bucks for my truck. It’s my daily driver, a ‘97 Dodge 1500, 4WD with 110K miles on it. The guy passed away 10 years ago that bought it originally, the family cut grass around it and drove it a couple times a year to keep it running. When I got home, I put the camper shell on craigslist and got $150 back, so the total cost of the vehicle is $250. Runs like a champ. I’ll drive it until I get rich, then use it to haul money to the bank and drive it some more.

Here’s me moving some boulders around the yard last year with it, I got creative and put my cherry picker in the back like a little tow truck.

Attachments

• 12F1EA12-7B8E-4135-9F07-FBC6D4CECD0D.jpeg
    12F1EA12-7B8E-4135-9F07-FBC6D4CECD0D.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 254

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
What is the best "value" you ever paid for?

Just curious to hear people's experiences.

For me, my foam roller was a great value. It cost around $20 bucks but helps relieve my back and neck of stress and pain. On bad days, rolling on this thing becomes the best $20 bucks I ever spent!

717E9lDfEaL._AC_SR201,266_.jpg

What is the best $X you ever spent?

There is no limit ... if you spent $80K on a Corvette and felt is was the best value ever, then that's OK!

Let's hear it!
Trojan Condoms | $3.99 from your local covenicne store.

"Because they feel better afterwards."

Catching something wouldn't be fun and from what I hear, kids are expensive and time consuming.

Best ROI ever.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
$12 phone earbuds with built in "subwoofer/bass" from an obscure brand on Amazon. Probably private labeling from one of you cheeky bastards.

- Literally closed more sales due to the increased comprehension
- More audiobooks/podcasts consumed while exercising
- Working while talking to clients with both hands free

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is gonna turn into a favorite thread of mine, love seeing what everyone considers spectacular value.

First thing that comes to mind is Shipstation. For $25/mo it saves at least 1-2 hours a day in shipping.

Definitely, for me it is Endicia which is a SS alternative.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Fascinating thread. Some things on my list to buy.

My wife got me a Kindle last Christmas. I'm sorry to say it gathers dust on a shelf. I like books and scribbling in them with my pencil.

My contribution to the thread of something that provides incredible value is:

My smartphone.

I can talk, text, and Skype/FaceTime people.

I can take photos and even videos at anytime. ("The best camera is the one you have with you.")

I can access the Internet and read and respond to posts on forums and Facebook groups.

I can listen to podcasts.

I can send emails.

I can communicate with my team on Basecamp.

I can manage personal todo lists using a simple app.

I can copy/paste content I write in one place and post to many other places... quite quickly too.

I can transfer money between bank accounts, while queuing to pay for the groceries.

I can drop the kids to school and work on my phone in the car until traffic dies down.

I can sit in a cafe or service station and check in and manage my business.

I spend more time now running my business via my phone than my PC. All I need the PC for is to mess with spreadsheets and AdWords campaigns... and one day that will get delegated too.

Because of my smartphone, I don't need to own or lug around a laptop.

Because my smartphone is always on me, I can find time throughout the day to do bits of work - while I'm waiting for other things to happen. (This is a rabbit-hole to be careful of, but it's been a godsend to be able to work on coaches, in airports, and in waiting rooms.)

It's incredible really, that I'm not chained to a desk to get internet access and write hundreds of words a day (this post was written on my phone while I sit with a cup of tea in the kitchen and the kids watch cartoons in the playroom).

My whole working life has changed beyond recognition, and no small part to this mobile office in my pocket.

Not to mention how one resides in everyone else's pocket and they use them to do research, communicate, be entertained, and buy stuff... which is all great news for what I do for a living.

EDIT: Other stuff my phone is great for that I forgot to mention:

GPS? Google maps and a phone holder in my car and I don't need any fancy sat nav.

I've even watched movies on Netflix on my phone. I dreamt of stuff like this when I was a kid...

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
71IcW-ig7PL._SL1500_.jpg

Acupressure mat. There are a zillion of these being private labeled on Amazon. They're all the same so just go for the cheapest one. I think I got mine for 20 bucks or so.

I could talk forever about how beneficial this thing has been to my life, but I'll just copy and paste the ad description:
  • RELIEVES back pain and stress in the comfort of your home in as little as 15 minutes per day
  • IMPROVES circulation by increasing blood flow to the back and other areas for optimal health
  • HEADACHE RELIEF can be achieved by standing on the mat barefoot for up to 10 minutes by utilizing the reflexology points of the feet
  • INCREASES relaxation for a more restful sleep to increase energy levels and relaxation
  • Saves time and money by eliminating the need for chiropractors, physical therapists and acupuncture professionals
You'll likely experience some discomfort when initially trying it, but try to push through the first few minutes of pain and you'll feel amazing after.

Gonna bump this...

I used mine today and damn, I could have swore (after the pain faded away) I was stoned on some damn good weed. Was a really good start to the day.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a few.

1. Paradigm Studio 60 speakers:

upload_2017-12-6_13-14-45.png

If you have room for just one pair (2 speakers), you can simply not go wrong here. Paradigm is one of the kings of audio and these speakers are phenomenal. I'd choose a pair of these over literally any half-assed, shoehorned-in surround sound setup (and don't even get me started with Bose...).

I bought this pair when I lived in an apartment when I first moved out over 10 years back and they are still booming in my movie theater downstairs. I STILL to this day don't own a subwoofer because these two speakers by themselves can rattle the entire house.

2. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones:

413Yea41ZBL.jpg

More audio, I know, what can I say? I love this stuff.

These are probably one of the most popular pro-quality headphones on the market and they have been for years. If I had one purchase I wish I used more often than I do it would be these. They are passively sound isolating (meaning they don't actively interfere with the audio to provide noise cancelling, instead they are just built that way) and even the quietest classical music will drown out just about any noisy environment. Super comfy, sound amazing. Have held up beautifully for years.

3. Weber Summit 620 Natural Gas Grill

upload_2017-12-6_13-24-31.png

First thing I purchased when I moved into my house about 10 years back. The thing is still holding up with zero rust on the stainless parts of it (the lower body isn't stainless so there's some rust there but it's still minor and frankly impressive given it's age).

If you do any outdoor hosting, a huge grill helps. Natural gas means never changing out a tank again.

6 burners, tons of heat, cooks amazingly, and the extremely heavy and well made grill grates still look like new.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-6_13-20-33.png
    upload_2017-12-6_13-20-33.png
    206.3 KB · Views: 54

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I will probably come back with more, but the first thing that came to mind was this:

1840cd10-123b-45ca-bb94-fd1716086251_1.8343677a5fcb2774840295ccbb46fe71.jpeg

Best $16.99 I ever spent! I use this a few times a week to mince garlic, dice onions, anything you want to chop in a hurry. And it takes about 15 seconds to clean. Kudos to whoever invented it for speeding up the cooking process substantially!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well when I started this thread, I had no idea it was gonna cost me hundreds of dollars, perhaps thousands. :playful:

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Back in 2009, at the height of the recession, unemployed, and struggling with a business I had tried starting a few months earlier, I paid $210 for a ticket to Ireland for a 6 week trip through Europe. Hard to beat those experiences even though I should have been "getting a job" or working on the business:). I've nearly always found value in travel.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
#1: Old fashioned Merkur safety razor made in Solingen, Germany. Bought it 10 years ago and still looks like the day I took it out of the box and gives a good shave with simple razor blades that are wayyyy cheaper than expensive cartridges from the store. The original "dollar shave club" lol

That's what I use too. Best shave ever, and dirt cheap. I laugh a bit when I see Gillette blades are like $12 a piece...

Shave all year for the price of a Gillette 3-pack refill (or less).

That's value!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
whilst reading this now all of the sudden I have a big a$$ shopping list.

Ha Ha, yea, I've been taking notes, the salt deodorant, the good razors, ya'll are making me go buy stuff!

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I was thinking of a couple other things today...

41XS7QPWCGL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

My knockoff-Roomba...with two small mess-makers and a fluffy cat, waking up to swept floors that I didn't have to do is a huge relief!

d7a59abc-0229-41d8-8ec9-f07a8d65e0c9_1.24ed068c7db7264311a37a822fa98f06.jpeg

(That's huge, I know)
If you look on any fan page you will see that this thing has practically a cult-following. Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker. Sometimes it cooks things faster (tender roasts in minutes!) and sometimes it takes about the same amount of time to pressure up as it would to cook on the stove (legumes) but the value is that you don't have to watch over it. You can set it and do whatever else you need to do without checking on it plus it doesn't heat your house up. It's taking over the slow cooker market, because people would rather start dinner at 5 pm than 6 am (and look at all those functions!).

And lastly, museum passes! Pay once, and have fun, educational days out with the kids all year!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.