The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the best business structure for an auto shop?

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
A friend of mine owns an auto shop. He is the only employee, and I believe that right now he has it set up as a sole proprietorship. In the interest of protecting his personal assets (home, vehicles, etc.) and paying as little in taxes and fees, what would be the best business structure? I don't really know the difference between an S-Corp and C-Corp. I figured S-Corp would be the way to go, but I have no idea why :smx3: Thanks for the help, and feel free to ask any questions if you need clarification or non-personal details.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Dianne is more of an expert on this, but I would think LLC is the best way to go protection wise.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I moved the thread to the Asset protection / Taxes section as I think it is more appropriate.

Yes, I agree, probably Diane could give us her opinion about this. JesseO, I think it is great that you are looking into providing help for your friend.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I should make him sign up an account =) From what I hear he's starting to lurk around here. I think he told me that there's "Too much" good information to sift through. Great problem to have :fastlane:.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Just saw this - thanks for moving it Andres. I reliably check this section - more hit and miss on the others these days.

JesseO, have your friend sign on as a user and come to this forum. I'd really recommend that he read the Business Structure Basics post that I put up earlier in this same section. (You might want to take a look at at as well)

I'm happy to discuss the concepts further either in this thread or that one. But, I think you'll find the answer (or at least the lingo you'll need) there....

This is a great question and JesseO, you're absolutely right - Sole Prop is NOT the way to go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.