The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What is the best business structure for an auto shop?

JesseO

Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
A friend of mine owns an auto shop. He is the only employee, and I believe that right now he has it set up as a sole proprietorship. In the interest of protecting his personal assets (home, vehicles, etc.) and paying as little in taxes and fees, what would be the best business structure? I don't really know the difference between an S-Corp and C-Corp. I figured S-Corp would be the way to go, but I have no idea why :smx3: Thanks for the help, and feel free to ask any questions if you need clarification or non-personal details.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I moved the thread to the Asset protection / Taxes section as I think it is more appropriate.

Yes, I agree, probably Diane could give us her opinion about this. JesseO, I think it is great that you are looking into providing help for your friend.

OP
OP
JesseO

JesseO

Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I should make him sign up an account =) From what I hear he's starting to lurk around here. I think he told me that there's "Too much" good information to sift through. Great problem to have :fastlane:.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
Just saw this - thanks for moving it Andres. I reliably check this section - more hit and miss on the others these days.

JesseO, have your friend sign on as a user and come to this forum. I'd really recommend that he read the Business Structure Basics post that I put up earlier in this same section. (You might want to take a look at at as well)

I'm happy to discuss the concepts further either in this thread or that one. But, I think you'll find the answer (or at least the lingo you'll need) there....

This is a great question and JesseO, you're absolutely right - Sole Prop is NOT the way to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom