The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is happiness?

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
How does it move? Can you define the target? @broswoodwork

What happens if you miss?
Happiness is progressing towards the good and virtuous internally and externally. It's an ideal end state theoretically, but since none of us are perfect, and never will be, we're perpetually chasing after more perfect forms of happy; a more virtuous self and better collective existence. Everything you do should bring you a step closer to ideal happy.

I don't know... think I breathed in too many paint fumes today at the shop. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
This. But practiced 10,000x in 10,000 ways.
Now that I am at the computer I'll elaborate on my short answer.

I watched a Gary Vee video the other day where he talks about how he keeps a grounded perspective by imagining that a loved one was killed in a car accident.

It sounds kind of weird but it works.

I've been doing this for the last few weeks. When I'm having a moment where I'm feeling down or worrying about something stupid, I imagine finding out that something bad happened to someone I love.

Since I started doing this I've spent a significant amount of time feeling grateful that everyone I love, including myself, is alive and well. It seeps into my behavior and makes me a much happier and nicer person to be around.

Even when the day to day grind gets tough, just being free to pursue a path I choose is cause for celebration.

It's hard not to be happy with thoughts like this.

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Just as the title asks.

What is happiness?

I ask, inspired by the thread about never meeting a happy millionaire, as in my experience this fundamental question is typically met with many different answers.

I'm interested to see not only your answers, but to see if there is a common theme among the entrepreneurs of the Fastlane Forum.

Bonus questions:
How is it achieved?
Why do so many people have trouble attaining and/or sustaining it?
Why do depressed people that seemingly have their needs met and are successful and rich in both business and family exist?
Happiness is a moving target. Don't aim for where it is; aim for where it's going to be, and have fun while you're doing it.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Fulfillment is using your talents, skills, expertise, and knowledge to positively help and improve the lives of others.

It's achieved by:
  1. Finding a way to provide value
  2. Becoming a master at providing value in that way
  3. Providing that value to as many people as possible
  4. Capturing some resources in exchange for providing that massive value
  5. Using those resources to free up your time
  6. Using that added time to provide even more value
People have a hard time achieving fulfillment because they think it's about what they have, get, or take. When it's really about what they give.

People are often unhappy because they want what others have. And because they think happiness is a destination or an event. When it's really a journey or a process.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
1*CirZl00FgbZL31_4FmD0Bg.jpeg

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Thanks for the replies so far!

@broswoodwork says Happiness is in the pursuit of the ideal end state of being as good and virtuous as possible both internally and externally.

@Rawseed says Happiness is created by the journey or process towards fulfillment through helping others.

@ChrisV says Happiness is a set of chemicals to motivate you for survival needs, and the causes of it can be understood through Maslow's Hierarchy.

@MoreValue says Happiness is freedom from having to do things against your will.

@Ismails says Happiness comes from fulfillment in every aspect of life.

@Yzn says Happiness comes from the eternal pursuit of progress in this life towards a greater state.

Curiously have not yet seen anyone talk about pleasure, joy, or peace. I think a pattern from this forum is already emerging!

I think the biggest conflict in understanding happiness comes from the word being used to describe a set of emotions and an evaluation of one's life.
We're all saying the same thing different ways, I think.

Edit: mine's lifted directly from the Nicomachean Ethics btw... don't want to get sued by Aristotle's estate. ;)

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

I watched a Gary Vee video the other day where he talks about how he keeps a grounded perspective by imagining that a loved one was killed in a car accident.

I've been doing this for the last few weeks. When I'm having a moment where I'm feeling down or worrying about something stupid, I imagine finding out that something bad happened to someone I love.

Since I started doing this I've spent a significant amount of time feeling grateful that everyone I love, including myself, is alive and well. It seeps into my behavior and makes me a much happier and nicer person to be around.

Even when the day to day grind gets tough, just being free to pursue a path I choose is cause for celebration.

I came across the concept a different way but it changed my life. Over and over again I’ve had to kinda come to grips with crap happening and then say “thank you” because.. I can be grateful for the problems I face. They’ve made me who I am. The weirdly metaphysical magical thing about it (and I use magic like Aslan talks about in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe) is that IMMEDIATELY after I decide to be grateful I feel peace. Now I say thank you for things yet to be.. and I have much more joy than I have ever had before. It’s a simple concept but extremely powerful when utilized all day about every interaction, every traffic situation, every moment.

I’m glad you put it in the thread.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Just as the title asks.

What is happiness?

I ask, inspired by the thread about never meeting a happy millionaire, as in my experience this fundamental question is typically met with many different answers.

I'm interested to see not only your answers, but to see if there is a common theme among the entrepreneurs of the Fastlane Forum.

Bonus questions:
How is it achieved?
Why do so many people have trouble attaining and/or sustaining it?
Why do depressed people that seemingly have their needs met and are successful and rich in both business and family exist?

Last edited:

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
We're all saying the same thing different ways, I think.

Edit: mine's lifted directly from the Nicomachean Ethics btw... don't want to get sued by Aristotle's estate. ;)

Bingo you got it man

Kinda like this: Same Song, Different Lyrics

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
To me happiness is to be in control.

Firstly is health.

Secondly is net liquid assets in possession.

Net liquid assets are a strict measure of an immediate or near-term liquidity position of a firm, calculated as liquid assets less current liabilities. Liquid assets are cash, marketable securities, and accounts receivable that can be readily converted to cash at their approximate current value

Plus Health to enjoy it...Sounds good to me.

"Off Topic" is very much on. :)

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Fulfillment in every area of life = Happiness

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jul 1, 2018
Try reading: The Alchemy of Happiness - Al-Ghazali

Quote:

"In this chapter we have attempted, in some degree, to expound the greatness of man's soul. He who neglects it and suffers its capacities to rust or to degenerate must necessarily be the loser in this world and the next. The true greatness of man lies in his capacity for eternal progress, otherwise in this temporal sphere he is the weakest of all things, being subject to hunger, thirst, heat, cold, and sorrow. Those things he takes most delight in are often the most injurious to him, and those things which benefit him are not to be obtained without toil and trouble. As to his intellect, a slight disarrangement of matter in his brain is sufficient to destroy or madden him; as to his power, the sting of a wasp is sufficient to rob him of ease and sleep; as to his temper, he is upset by the loss of a sixpence; as to his beauty, he is little more than nauseous matter covered with a fair skin. Without frequent washing he becomes utterly repulsive and disgraceful.

In truth, man in this world is extremely weak and contemptible; it is only in the next that he will be of value, if by means of the "alchemy of happiness" he rises from the rank of beasts to that of angels. Otherwise his condition will be worse than the brutes, which perish and turn to dust. It is necessary for him, at the same time that he is conscious of his superiority as the climax of created things, to learn to know also his helplessness, as that too is one of the keys to the knowledge of God.
"

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Thanks for the replies so far!

@broswoodwork says Happiness is in the pursuit of the ideal end state of being as good and virtuous as possible both internally and externally.

@Rawseed says Happiness is created by the journey or process towards fulfillment through helping others.

@ChrisV says Happiness is a set of chemicals to motivate you for survival needs, and the causes of it can be understood through Maslow's Hierarchy.

@MoreValue says Happiness is freedom from having to do things against your will.

@Ismails says Happiness comes from fulfillment in every aspect of life.

@Yzn says Happiness comes from the eternal pursuit of progress in this life towards a greater state.

Curiously have not yet seen anyone talk about pleasure, joy, or peace. I think a pattern from this forum is already emerging!

I think the biggest conflict in understanding happiness comes from the word being used to describe a set of emotions and an evaluation of one's life.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
The pursuit of the ideal state of man will produce fulfillment. Although freedom is its own aspect. Maslow's also describes stages of fulfillment.

A crucial aspect imo is appreciation for life. If someone hates life, hates having being born, it will likely be impossible for them to be happy or feel fulfilled either.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Hmm so then one is forever pursuing fulfilment as what is to be fulfilled is forever changing!

Why does this remind me of The Declaration of Independence's "Pursuit of Happiness"?

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019

EXCELLENT POINT/TACTIC.

I have this thing where I am thankful for the problems I do not have. But I add to that with the thought that our lives, our destiny's changed with a simple decision to go left or right at any given moment.

Something happened....some one you met or did not meet. Then an entire journey takes place and maybe something bad happens and you say to yourself...wow if only I had not even gone that way that day I would still have my legs! Well guess what....what if you got your wish....you would be exactly who and where you are now. Celebrate!

haha hope that makes sense.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
NOT HAVING TO CONFIRM YOUR LIKE VOTE! IT IS MAKING ME LOSE MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT. WE ARE BIG KIDS. WE KNOW WHAT WE LIKE.

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
These are much of how I see it.

You can be happy now. Endlessly. Remain happy.

Gratitude. Loving being alive. Grateful to be alive.

Fulfilled by being alive. Nothing more is needed for happiness.

Knowing your life is created by your hands, that is your freedom as well.

Acceptance. Of everything as it is now currently. Always. Accepting. Now.

Isn't it funny how these two replies came sequentially at the end?
What makes me happy: naturally not in any order. I like the gratitude, change your mind set n change your thinking. Be positive n smile!
Something to look forward to we all enjoy to wake up n have something to look forward to like meeting at the fastlane summit :) great lovemaking with your partner, ummm seeing my grandchildren lol these all make ME happy. Create a need that can help others. Do for others n it can make you happy. My added tidbit!

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
Happiness happens when the pleasure of engagement equals or is greater than the energy required.
Happiness to me is being a speaker at the "Fast lane Summit" Feb.2020!

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
This is an interesting topic for me, because what I do professionally is help people grow their business and help them live way happier, easier lives that are fun to live.

What I see is that on a very basic level, being happy means being content with where you are right now. That means where you are physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually.

Now that doesn’t mean you don’t want to grow in all those areas. You can, and everybody does, but it means not having tension between here and the future.

Now, how to achieve that?

Improve the quality of your thoughts.

Your thoughts determine everything. How you feel, how you handle situations, how you engage with life.

Bad quality of thought = unhappy.

Good quality of thought = happy.

Just as an example. Yesterday I was talking to someone who was really struggling with life. Money wasn’t coming in, he was feeling defeated, and it generally seemed that life was a struggle and working against him.

Now, I know that’s not factually true. It’s just how he perceives his reality. It’s just how his thinking is making him experience life.

He could be so grateful that he has a business. That he has the courage to create life on his terms. That he has more wealth than 99% of this world. That he GETS to face his challenges, and grow.

What if he saw that actually life was working FOR him? What if he saw how blessed he was with his current challenges, because these are the exact building blocks of his next level?

All of this is caused by quality of thoughts. The facts didn’t change, just the quality of thoughts.

It’s very simple, not always easy, and it’s a process.

But me and my clients are living proof of it. I constantly get feedback of how life is getting so crazy good. And I witness it on my life too. This morning I woke up with my heart almost bursting with so much love and gratitude for everything.

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Happiness happens when the pleasure of engagement equals or is greater than the energy required.

You just took me to another level. I'm getting existential.

Let's make it fully mathematical by letting happiness be the derivative of increased effort (y axis) and increasing reward (x axis) to incorporate both pursuit and fulfilment; in essence the math of living life vs just being here. :hilarious:

The transcendental emergent property of being here and doing something worthwhile for yourself and others.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
NOT HAVING TO CONFIRM YOUR LIKE VOTE! IT IS MAKING ME LOSE MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT. WE ARE BIG KIDS. WE KNOW WHAT WE LIKE.
To me happiness is to be in control.

Firstly is health.

Secondly is net liquid assets in possession.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Net liquid assets are a strict measure of an immediate or near-term liquidity position of a firm, calculated as liquid assets less current liabilities. Liquid assets are cash, marketable securities, and accounts receivable that can be readily converted to cash at their approximate current value

Plus Health to enjoy it...Sounds good to me.

"Off Topic" is very much on. :)
Yes dividend stocks and bonds in my brokerage account. I feel happier and more in control when my portfolio size grows.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
You just took me to another level. I'm getting existential.

Let's make it fully mathematical by letting happiness be the derivative of increased effort (y axis) and increasing reward (x axis) to incorporate both pursuit and fulfilment; in essence the math of living life vs just being here. :hilarious:

The transcendental emergent property of being here and doing something worthwhile for yourself and others.
Wazow
:jawdrop:

.... hours later

Add the variable " being in the present moment" and you have yourself a helix there, mathematico-philosopher bruffa.

Last edited:

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Whoever said they have never met a happy millionaire is full of shit. Happiness is not about the money, happiness Is about the person. Happy people will be happy with money or without money. Unhappy people will be unhappy with or without money. The money does not make or break their happiness.

I have felt happy throughout my life, from the beginning when I started out with little, in the process of growing my business, and after I had achieved financial success and been able to do pretty much anything I wanted to do.

Of course like anyone, I’ve experienced some low points, points of discouragement, doubts, and frustrations. but I have always believed in my destiny was in my own hands. I can and will become anything I want to become so long as I am willing to put in the time and effort to actually achieve it.

I think the key to happiness is having a positive outlook, looking for the opportunity instead of the reasons that things can’t or won’t happen. Happiness is about a positive outlook towards the future. Happiness is believing that you can. Happiness is looking through obstacles to the potential on the other side. Happiness is reaching your potential, and then doing a little bit more. Fulfillment is so important in feeling satisfied and happy with your life.

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Wazow
:jawdrop:

.... hours later

Add the variable " being in the present moment" and you've got yourself a helix there, mathematico-philosopher bruffa.
Haha... I'm not even sure what I was aiming for there, but it felt real while I was typing it and that made me happy. :D

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Haha... I'm not even sure what I was aiming for there, but it felt real while I was typing it and that made me happy. :D
This too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uESlFxGVDM

EDIT: well that was useless, I meant this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOr21GO5VY

Kidding aside (why), here's some really good content on how to be happy and why it's besides the point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmC6LyO5QI

And this is his little talk on the 12 rules for life.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9QHlEbO4OM

Last edited:

broswoodwork

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
This too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uESlFxGVDM

EDIT: well that was useless, I meant this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOr21GO5VY

Kidding aside (why), here's some really good on how to be happy and why it's besides the point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmC6LyO5QI

And this is his little talk on the 12 rules for life.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9QHlEbO4OM
I'm going to have to dig into the Jordan Peterson tomorrow.

I've heard his name tossed around frequently, in conjunction with the phrase "clean your room", but I've always felt my compass was set as properly as possible (for me anyways) in that respect. Tomorrow I'll see if I'm missing any bits and pieces.

Being better can never hurt!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.