The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is business?

Mr4213

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 9, 2016
What is business? Here is my oversimplified answer to that question.

It is a machine. A machine you automate to work for you that prints money out. @MJ DeMarco talks about it in his book as well. He mentions a crane that an egyptian uses to build his pyramid faster. The other egyptian does not use a crane and decides to do the work himself. This is similar to trading time for money.

Personally, I like to call them money factories. The factory has assembly lines. Just about every business has the same assembly lines. The main ones are

-Marketing

-Sales

The objective is to go piece by piece and automate it.

Here is an oversimplified and stupid example just to illustrate my core points. Your ability to do these things is not my point here. I see many problems with starting a landscaping business. But that is not my point.

Let’s pretend I started a landscaping business.

Phase 1. Test the idea and secure needed equipment and personnel.

1. Obviously landscaping is a legitimate need people have. Check

2. Secure needed equipment. Check

3. Find employees. Check

PHASE 2. Get your name out there.

1. Get marketing materials and place them out. Make a website with proper SEO. Network. Craiglist ads. Ect Ect. This all boils down to getting your name out there. Check

This would be the “marketing” section of the assembly line. Just for the sake of my argument, let's pretend you had a bad a$$ website that was producing 100% of your leads. You’d pay a web guy to maintain it and voila, your marketing is now automated. Congratulations.

PHASE 3. Sell it

Your website is awesome and you MIRACULOUSLY have 15 calls a day coming in and you are #1 on search engines. Well, someone has to talk with the customers and close the sales right? At first it was you, but because you have been doing so well you can afford to hire other people to do it. You hire people to manage calls and do bids. You create sales scripts for them all to use and you train them on everything they need to know regarding your business operations.

Your sales are now automated. Congratulations.

PHASE 4. Project management

You trained some employees and you have assembled some crews. Once a sale is confirmed the customer is scheduled in. When the date arrives the crew goes out and completes the job. Let’s pretend you hire a manager to handle the logistics and you know...manage it. Your project management is now automated. Congratulations.

PHASE 5. Get money

Get money. lol

Website sends in leads.

Employees handle sales and completes job.

Money prints out of the factory.

Obviously A LOT goes into all of these things, and there are many, many details I left out. Once again, this example is just to illustrate my core points.

The goal is to create an automated money factory that prints you money. Then you take said money and use it to make more money. Rinse and repeat. Like everyone else, when I was younger I looked up to wealthy people. I was in awe like many other people. "Omg bro, you see that car? What does he do? Should I ask him?". Being in business myself now, I've learned there is nothing special about these people. They are not Gods. They are not incredibly brilliant. They are not incredibly "lucky" I despise that word. I have friends that treat me like I am some hot s*** now. But I am not. And neither are these other guys. All they did was create a money factory. A system that automatically generates money for them. I see these systems everywhere I go now. Everywhere I look there is a money system. You can create your own money system and be just like those people. Just about everyone can. But not everyone will.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
i would start with business philosophy

1) business is not " i love you, i care for you , this is my life duty " in a Jay ABraham way of seeing things

2) business is " i have a goal and therefore i must sell something to get money so i will give you what you want in order to get what i want "

" i don't care about you and you don't care about me , we just exchange things to get what we want because we can't do otherwise "

this is totally different.

people get it wrong from the start.

business is not being a technician slave, this is not a life duty nor some stupidity like a passion for life until you die.

business is a means to an end because one can't do otherwise to get money.

i won't endorse the stupids reasons people say to be politicaly correct like " this is my life passion, i love customers "

i hate dishonest , naive people.

truth is not meant to be loved but recognized as it is.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Providing value and solutions to help others
BTW, I was reading Copytactics's How to Identify Your Customer's Pain Points.
Scratches the surface, but very well written. Quite Fastlan-ish
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...OZGeW9UMSxmuK-7pn9helg&bvm=bv.141320020,d.dGo

Basically, the article points out that to solve other's needs, you have to DIG DEEP to their core needs.
For example (courtesy of Copytactics)
Problem: Company blog is not attracting customers

Why does the blog need more engaging content?
To attract customers

Why do you want to attract customers?
To generate more sales and cash.

Why do you want to generate more sales and cash?
To build a successful business.

Why do you want a more successful business?
To be able to spend more time with family.

It goes down to solving problems and providing satisfaction to people who have such problems.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What is business?

Adding value, and getting paid for it.

If you can do it the other way round, then that's smart business.

If you add value and don't get paid for it, then that's a charity or hobby.

If you get paid and don't add value, that's scamming.

Personally, I find business very much a personal development journey. The more I grow, the more my business grows.

Someone once said that business is the truest form of self-expression. That's taking it a bit far I think but I believe the sentiment is correct.

Business exposes your inner beliefs and values, and forces you to highlight and overcome your limiting beliefs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
To communicate your solutions to more people.

Revenue and the resulting net income are side effects of covering a need.
Right!
Unfortunately, most business owners just want to skip the PROCESS and love the EVENTS.
That is why most of them are in jobs rather than businesses...I mean...the Slowlane favours highly paid jobs, right?
lol:cold:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.