The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if your Parents keep you Down?

Anything related to matters of the mind

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
For young guys like me :

I'm still a college student and what do you think guys if parents keep you down when you get entrepreneurs ideas?

Is it better to keep your goals for your self and don't say nothing to your parents?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
For young guys like me :

I'm still a college student and what do you think guys if parents keep you down when you get entrepreneurs ideas?

Is it better to keep your goals for your self and don't say nothing to your parents?

Why do you need to verbalize anything to your parents? They will be naturally skeptical of anything that isn't slowlane, if they themselves are slowlane. That's fine and understandable. People have different mindsets, and people are usually pretty stuck in their mindset.

Take action and pursue what you know to be important. Prove people wrong with your actions. I know this is easier said than done... but you don't need to work on your business ideas with a bunch of noise. Just hammer them out on your own and let your actions speak for you.

This forum is a great resource for encouragement and motivation to keep pushing forward. Use it!

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
For young guys like me :

Just don't even bother telling them if they aren't supportive. I'm not telling you to disconnect from your parents - just that it is unnecessary and detrimental to let their criticism and negativity in if they are slowlane.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is what I live by:

3 Things to Keep Private
I've been well in my way to this but its something I seriously need to work on. I blurt out way to quickly to my mom what my next goals are. Literally she is never suprised by anything I accomplished because I already said I was gonna do 10x that. I know unconsciously I just want approval and encouragement from my mom, but I am not looking in the right place.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I've been well in my way to this but its something I seriously need to work on. I blurt out way to quickly to my mom what my next goals are. Literally she is never suprised by anything I accomplished because I already said I was gonna do 10x that. I know unconsciously I just want approval and encouragement from my mom, but I am not looking in the right place.
Nah you have to prove everyone wrong. Keep working, keep hustling. The road will be tough, you'll feel like you won't have support but you have to believe in the process. Keep practicing doing you.

cor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
May 8, 2016
The World
I get where a lot of the replies are coming from but the thing is: how much are your parents supporting you? Do you live with them? Are they paying your tuition? Have they bought you a car?

If you can answer no to all those questions, then you have no obligation to listen to them. Otherwise, it's really hard to make a case. The less dependent you can be of them, the more risks you can take, and the less you'll seek their approval.

In general, you probably shouldn't be presenting business ideas to your parents unless you want them to invest or something. Otherwise, why even volunteer that kind information to them?

D

Deleted2BB3x9

For young guys like me :

I am wondering this also. All my parents tell me everyday is to get a job. I see their reasoning but at the same time it's frustrating when they say they support me and my business and yet their actions don't say the same. They compare me to my friends and say "Look how successful they are!" When really all they have is a menial minimum wage jobs. One has a 15$ an hour job and that's considered success at my age. Starting a business is seen as a hobby.

If you really care about what they have to say, then get a job, go to college and start your business after. But I know that's not what you want to hear.

Otherwise just do it. They can choose to support you or not. Just remember their decision. If they don't support you then prove them wrong.

It's probably better to just keep it to yourself though. It's sounds like you're already out of the house so don't worry about your parents. It might be different if you were still living with them.

Bottomline, you'll never please your parents so don't try. Just do your own thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
I am wondering this also. All my parents tell me everyday is to get a job. I see their reasoning but at the same time it's frustrating when they say they support me and my business and yet their actions don't say the same. They compare me to my friends and say "Look how successful they are!" When really all they have is a menial minimum wage jobs. One has a 15$ an hour job and that's considered success at my age. Starting a business is seen as a hobby.

If you really care about what they have to say, then get a job, go to college and start your business after. But I know that's not what you want to hear.

Otherwise just do it. They can choose to support you or not. Just remember their decision. If they don't support you then prove them wrong.

It's probably better to just keep it to yourself though. It's sounds like you're already out of the house so don't worry about your parents. It might be different if you were still living with them.

Bottomline, you'll never please your parents so don't try. Just do your own thing.
I agree. You have to trust yourself and only do what you deem worthy. One of my mantras is "I have the answers to all my questions". Basically the only person that can guide where your life goes is yourself, others adjust to that.

I remember when my mom's idea of success was work at Longhorns steakhouse while I finish my degree.
Got it, quit because I hated it.
Got a job at a fancy restaurant as a server, money was great. Quit, I hated it
Now got an apprenticeship gig/internship with a CEO of a tech company doing digital marketing/analytics while working on my business. I self-taught myself all those skills by taking courses and putting into practice. Now my mother would never dare bring up working at a low rate restaurant and says she "always supported" me. Regardless if she believes this, what matters is you go for what you WANT and MAKE it happen.

The difference between a deadbeat bum and a hustler is the bum quits his restaurant job, hates it and spends his days slumped , smoking weed watching tv. The hustler grinds, learns a new skill, MAKES something. He doesn't just quit to quit, he quits to follow what he believes will be the most rewarding.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
An eagle that never leaves the nest is a turkey, leave the nest and don't become a turkey. As long as you are in the nest, your parents hold your puppet strings if they choose to. If you've left the nest and don't depend on your parents for any type of support, they aren't keeping you down, YOU are keeping yourself down while using your parents as an excuse.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
For young guys like me :

I tell my daughter this when she worries about what other people think ,"No one has more power over your life than you do. Never give the power away." I also tell her to take OWNERSHIP for everything in her life. You own your life whether you know it or not. You can decide not to own it but that is still YOUR decision and yours alone. Really your parents can't keep you down, only YOU can keep you down because you OWN your life. You are in the drivers seat of your life, own the journey. Another thing that truly owning your life will do is it will stop you from blaming other people for where you are in your life. I wish my parents would have taught me this MOST valuable lesson when I was young but you have to be ready to accept the truth before you can absorb it. All the best.

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China
For young guys like me :

I basically agree with everyone's comment.
You don't have to tell your parents jack. You don't have to show them your bank accounts.
Keep it on the low.
If anyone asks, "So what you been up to lately?", give the most STANDARD & VANILLA answer ever which is, "Nothin' much. Studying and doing a lot of reading. You"?

Boom! Done.

Be careful who you share your ideas with, because not everyone will have constructive criticism that will propel you forward.
ESPECIALLY your friends. That can be a real slippery slope.
So again, like R. Kelly said, "keep it on the downlow".

But when no one's paying attention - between classes, early morning, after class you're building up your foundation of your business.
You're doing the hard work.
You're makin' bank.
And then after a certain amount of clients under your belt, and your profits are much more than your expenses, and it has been consistent growth over the past year of you getting your first client or selling your product - THEN...you can share with the world everything you have accomplished.

You can come out of the shadows.
And then bask in answering question they will ask, "How did you do that"?

Bwahahahahahaha!!! Bask! BASK I SAY!!!!!

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I used to feel like this when I first stepped out on my venture and was in that phase where I 'felt' I needed the approval of my parents, surely, I love them dearly, but had to overstand that they are living their lives, making their mistakes; but one thing that genuinely stood out to me was when my dad retired from his Govt job.

The 1 thing that stood out to me with his retirement - He gave 40 years of his life loyally to the Govt (began at 20, retired square at 60), paid his income taxes with every salary, and when my dad got his retirement cheque, the govt, like clockwork, taxed that gratuity heavily.

Though my dad is retired now, he still has to work to take care of his expenses, he's not doing an 8 - 4 job, but what he is doing now is mandatory for his own care, things are a lot tighter now, because he's working with a lot less money.

I love my dad dearly, but, I do not intend to follow in the same footsteps as he did where building wealth is concerned.

I do what I have to to advance in business, because I intend to retire young and free from the worry of monetary survival.

My dad wished I kept my "secure" job instead of going into "risk-taking" business, but honestly, I rather take the risk now and have 'security' (freedom) later, than have security now and take risks just to survive later! This requires me to do what I know I must in building a proper fastlane business, inclusive of shutting out slowlane noise from loved ones.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
There are a couple of reasons why people fight back and lose their shit if you tell them that you are an entrepreneur:
  1. They want to keep you in their box with whatever label they prescribed to you - the box where you will only suffocate
  2. There is no such thing as a safe job anymore, just read about automation, artificial intelligence, and global competition
  3. Co-workers will stab you in the eye for a $3,000 dollar raise, not a great environment to be in
  4. They are jealous that you are bold enough to attempt something they never did
  5. Go read Unscripted by @MJ DeMarco

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Sounds like you are still very tied to your parents and need their approval. You are your own person.

I know, maybe, I need to work more on my mindset . And yes my parents (unfortunately), are in slowlane, they still believe you need to study and get a job in a good company lol (they live in the past world).

Sometimes they depress me when they talk with their BS poor mindset

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I know, maybe, I need to work more on my mindset . And yes my parents (unfortunately), are in slowlane, they still believe you need to study and get a job in a good company lol (they live in the past world).

Sometimes they depress me when they talk with their BS poor mindset
We are not better than those who think differently than us. Your parents have a valid life and lifestyle. You are just different. Once you get past some of this thought, you could focus on what is more important to you!

I am not a "book smart" person. I do believe that there is value in education as a tool though. That education can come in many forms...

Many people that live the unscripted lifestyle will face larger obstacles and more difficulties than those that go the scripted route.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How much are your parents supporting you? Do you live with them? Are they paying your tuition? Have they bought you a car?

@alan3wilson -- you going to answer?

I'm guessing they're paying everything for you. If so, they ain't keeping you down, but they do OWN you.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
@alan3wilson -- you going to answer?

I'm guessing they're paying everything for you. If so, they ain't keeping you down, but they do OWN you.

I still live with them and yes they help me only for college taxes. I know they make the rules.

Then when I need some extra money I do some gigs or sell used items on craiglist/ebay.

Luke Phillips

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 5, 2017
Australia
Dude! I can relate to this SO MUCH!

Getting your parents approval can be an amazing feeling, especially when it's something you want to do. I believe your parents definitely want what's best for you, but they fear what they don't understand.

It can be hard to shake slowlane or even sidewalk doctrine, especially if that's the road that was taught to them.

Not to just repeat what everyone here has said, but only you can control your life. They can give as much advice as they like, but ultimately only you can pull the trigger and execute. Also, you're the one that has to live with the consequences of the choices you make.

If you haven't already, MJ's decision making tools in MFL can really help, I know it did for me!

In my experience, If you want something bad enough, you kind of just have to go for it. The clearer you can define it the better. Make a practical plan as to how your going to do it or reverse engineer it.

Find others who have succeeded in what it is you want to do and replicate that. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel.

As far as your parents go, if they can't get behind you, then maybe the less they know the better. Keep yourself in the right frame of mind, and your results will speak for themselves. They may not like what you do, but that way they can at least respect it.
I hope this helps!

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Sometimes your parents know you better than yourself.

Last summer at exactly around this time I was an 18 year old debating whether to go to college or not. I wanted to do my own entrepreneurial thing from home first and then while traveling when I would be making some decent money. However ultimately with some pressure from my parents I decided to go and study what I liked 'Software Development' in another city.

One of the BEST decisions I have ever made. I got out of the house, moved away and became so much more independent. I made friends with people from different walks of life some of whom share my entrepreneurial tenancies. I went on trips and had great fun. I learned how to program and to design websites. I learned how to use maximize my spare time and learned even more than the syllabus required and how to effectively write copy.

I turned all this into a web design side hustle early into the New Year. Fast forward to May and when I finished up my exams I decided that I much preferred the copywriting aspect when finishing off websites and branched into this completely. It has been the first *major* business success in my life and now I even have plans to move into real estate. I failed countless times in the past and I never hear the end of them stories from my mum especially. Her predictions on how she knew it would be failure from the very beginning and tried to warn me etc...

Sometimes you just have to listen to what your parents say and then try to make the best judgement for yourself. I listened to my mum about college and it worked out in my favor but I have been ignoring her from about March till three weeks ago about going out and getting a job. Everyday having to listen to the same stories about other people my age working hard while your sitting at home during the day on the computer "being lazy". Well I'm happy I ignored her as I'm now pulling in more than anyone else working a fully time job my age is and I don't have to wake to an alarm clock (Benefits of time zones when primarily working with American clients and living in Ireland).

I wouldn't say she is converted to my way of thinking but maybe it scares her to think that in the next couple of months I could be making more than her even while in college. I find that people older than myself have a weird way of thinking that young people should struggle early in life like they did. Anything that deviates from this script is an attack on what they believe. My dad however is self-employed and has read a lot of entrepreneurial books so he takes a neutral stance in all of this which is very helpful. I can imagine it would be quite difficult if both your parents were pushing an agenda.

I hope you can pull some value pieces of information from my post and maybe it'll inspire you to keep doing what your doing. I know I nearly gave up on a number of occasions but people on here reminded me to look at the bigger picture and to look at my age. We can afford to make some mistakes and it isn't disastrous.. we still have time..

Last edited:

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida
Really stinks man... a lot of us have been in that same situation. My parents flipped when I dropped out of a top tier nursing school with 2 semesters left and a great job lined up. Don't bash them though, do your best to maintain a healthy relationship with them. They are looking out for your best interests, but don't exactly understand all of this and you should never expect them to so don't get into big heated arguments trying to prove yourself. Agree to disagree at one point.

Through entrepreneurship and business you will be tested many many times by the universe, this is merely the first of several coming your way if you choose that path. So be ready.

Later you will have your friends testing you on weekends trying to get you to go out and drink at the same bars, with the same drinks, with the same people, having the same conversations.

Not even touching on how many times you will test yourself.

The more times you pass these tests and push to get positive results, the more confident and closer to the dream you will be. There's a reason why not everyone gets to live the good life man.

If you're still in their house and under their jurisdiction they have some amount of control over you, so you may have to compromise. Once you are able to go out and get a job if you need to and do your hustle on the nights and weekends until it takes over.

Shortypants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 15, 2017
NL
Depends on your parents so it's impossible to give any meaningful advice here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Only you can give permission them permission to control you.

You can deny that permission at any point, provided you are willing to accept the results as an adult. This may include accepting the loss of all forms of support they currently offer.

You aren't being physically restrained. You can deny them their power over you at any time. You just need to be willing to accept the possible cost of becoming a self-sustaining adult.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I still live with them and yes they help me only for college taxes. I know they make the rules.

Then when I need some extra money I do some gigs or sell used items on craiglist/ebay.

Sure, I've read stories about new entrepreneurs having parents let them live for free while the kid builds a business...buttttttttt, in most cases,

This isn't going to happen. Not because your parents aren't supportive, but you need to support yourself. It's how you learn and grow.
As long as you live under their roof, what they say goes and you're only choice is to respect their wishes until they don't pay for you anymore.

As MJ says, they OWN you.

You're still young. Plenty of road ahead of you. It may take years before you're financial independent...but, if you're serious about starting a business, start today.

If you're forced to go to school and/or get a job, be prepared to either:

1) Work late into the AM with little sleep
2) Wait until you graduate college and you're just working a job
3) Give up on any entrepreneurship dreams [as this is always an option]

Respect your parents and work quietly. My parents were skeptical of me quitting my job with a wife and baby...but, they pay $0 of my bills.

abrakamowse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 11, 2017
New Jersey
Your parents will keep you down, only if you believe what they are saying to you. You have the power to accept what they say or challenge them and do what you think is good for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
And yes my parents (unfortunately), are in slowlane, they still believe you need to study and get a job in a good company lol (they live in the past world).

This is actually more than your parents, this is the whole scripted world. Also, I think a lot of people are forgetting that the world is evolving and if we aren't willing to grow, then easily we will get left behind.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
For young guys like me :

There are two courses of action to take if your parents are keeping you down.

First, you could tie them up and keep them in the basement. If your parents are the kind of people that would kill their own child's dream, then they're probably negative people and no one would miss them if you tied them up and kept them in the basement.

I think you will find that tying your parents up in the basement will give you a massive amount of peace of mind.

Just think of all the hot chicks you will be able to bring over to your parents house, without having to hear mommy and daddy's nagging mouths.

Lol. Who gives them the right to lecture you with their worthless opinions (as worthless as their bank accounts likely are... smh).

Bringing hot chicks over - and enjoying your time with them - will only be the beginning of fantastic turns of fate and blessings of fortune enjoyed by you. All you have to do is tie your parents up, gag them, and lock them in the basement.

I realize that this is the first time I mentioned "gagging" your parents, along with tying them up and locking them in the basement, and that is because I needed to lure you into this dastardly idea bit by bit, piece by piece.

Had I started off with: "Bro, ball gag your stupid parents," you would have stopped reading the post immediately.

But @Ubermensch is a genius, like Mr. Anderson in The Matrix. I lured you in with the beautiful notion of your parents shutting the F*ck up - for as long as you need to them to for you to become the person you're truly meant to be.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Going to break rank here: Your parents are most likely not stupid. They also most likely want you to succeed.

You have to ask yourself this: What in your actions and how you live your life would give them reason to believe you have what it takes to go out and succeed as an entrepreneur? If they're still paying your way through life, then they're just reacting rationally to the data points you give them. You can't hold that against them. Also, how is it un-supportive to literally financially support you?

I once lived with my parents and they didn't support my dreams. Then I realized I was a grown man and shouldn't be needing money from them when I was already 22 F*cking years old. My dad shat on me and straight up told me I was out on the street if I didn't get a job at one point. The problem wasn't that they weren't supporting me, it was that they were supporting me.

Fast forward: I got on my own two feet, and now my parents love to hear about the things I'm doing, including the failures. They're my greatest source of encouragement after my wife. Why? Because I gave them data points that indicate I really am interested in taking care of my own shit.

You know you can do it. Great. Go do it. I think you'll find that most likely they'll turn into your biggest fan club.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.