The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if you suck at the thing you love. Am I wasting my time?

KingJones

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 11, 2016
What if you suck at the thing you love? For example, my passion is boxing but I've only been doing it for a year and I'm not very good at it. Now see , I've been lifting weights for over 7 years now and I have a great physique. So my question is should I focus more on the things I love but suck at or the things I'm already good at. Am I wasting my time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Trying to make money off the thing you love but are not good at is not the best move. Focus on the talents you have to create something great.

Use the skills and talents you have to build a money system to separate your income from your time.

Use that freedom to enjoy the things you love.

Last edited:

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Things that are hard for you truly form your personality and character. Not things you are gifted with.
Go with the flow, take the easiest road and you'll be like everyone else - a F*cking mediocrity. No matter how much money you'll have.

Not talking about business here, because in business you should always bet on your strongest skills and talents.
But.
Almost everything I do now professionally is not what I was gifted with, it's a hard work that took thousands and thousands of hours, so if you want to do something - do it. I sucked at so many things which I now do amazing that I lost count.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Passion, Aptitude, and market demand.

For a successful business, you need a minimum of the latter 2, if you can get all 3, even better. For a hobby, you only need the first.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Create a business unrelated to your passion, so that you can find your passion. Very important lesson in the book.

The last thing you want to do is end up hating boxing, because your livelihood and your stress are all tied to it.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Who is great at something with only one year of effort put into it? Not many people..... Betting this late in the game that you'll become a professional boxer may not be the wisest bet, but to think you're anywhere near your potential without putting another 5-10 years in is ridiculous. Keep boxing.

If you enjoy it, it makes exercise more regular and fun and you have goals you'd like to achieve with it (step into the ring), it's worth it. With any fitness goal or goal in generals....Concentrate on the things within reach and sooner than later you'll be climibing closer and closer to the end goal. I didn't squat 500 pounds by trying to squat 500 pounds from day 1. I started at 135 pounds and added weight to the bar for years, little by little etching my way up to the top.

Same principle with boxing.

And I think anyone can make a sustainable business in the industry they love. That being said, that may not be doing what you love particularly, but improving what you love to do in a way that benefits many other people will build a sustainable business.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
If you're talking about free time, do what you enjoy.

If you're talking about business, do what works.

That's highly vague. I'm surprised you even got likes, which further reinforces the view that likes are a useless metric.

What works? That's rhetorical, don't answer it.

Is there a need? If there isn't, then is there a high barrier for entry? If the answer is "yes" to any of those two, fill the need or break the barrier.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
That's highly vague. I'm surprised you even got likes, which further reinforces the view that likes are a useless metric.

What works? That's rhetorical, don't answer it.

Is there a need? If there isn't, then is there a high barrier for entry? If the answer is "yes" to any of those two, fill the need or break the barrier.
And I'm surprised you're not banned yet

DuncDad

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 8, 2016
What if the thing you love is illegal or immoral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.