The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does this Chinese supplier mean?

MyDuckets

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 12, 2012
Dallas
Going back and forth to get a sample from one supplier:

They first wanted me to pay for the shipping with my DHL account (don't have but can set up), but I wanted them to pay for it and me pay them directly so I don't get hit with a surprise amount much higher than anticipated.

I wrote:
"I would prefer to just pay you directly for the shipping and have you pay for it. How can we please make that work?"

And they responded:
"We can pay the freight cost by our DHL Account No. But you should T/T the freight to us before transport. Please confirm if it is ok for you."

What does "you should T/T the freight to us" mean?!?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
It may be a communication error that makes the sentence wonky? Telegraphic transfer (t/t)?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
sounds like they will pay for it but they want you to send them the money for reimbursement on shipping before they release the product...

or taxes and tariffs ?

or transfers and tariffs I imagine theres issues/fees from out of country

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
They want you to wire them the money in advance of shipment.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm suprised they don't want you to wire the full amount in advance of the shipment. Like for the inventory too. That is a pretty sweet deal.

I never wire transfer funds in advance of inventory, if they want that I send with paypal. I also like to be able to run it all through a credit card to get the points. I would be willing to wire transfer on net30 terms.

Typically it is cheaper to have them arrange shipment. DHL is high as hell. Go with fedex international economy.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
For small amounts and samples I don't think any supplier will send you anything with-out you paying first. Unless you have a big alibaba feedback and transaction volume. The only thing I could get shipped with-out paying upfront was a sample catalog, and it was Cash-on-delivery .

Of course, things change with bigger amounts, but I've no experience there.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Chinese companies still use the old term Telegraphic Transfer (T/T) for International Money Transfer (IMT). Those transfers are always done through a bank, not a money transfer shopfront business like Western Union. If any suppliers asks for payment through Western Union you just go elsewhere to find a supplier.

Anyone obtaining a sample from a Chinese supplier will have to pay the shipping cost. The usual practice is to ask for your courier account number, and the purpose behind that is to weed out the numerous nuisance opportunists who are continually contacting them to get freebies. They figure that if you have a courier account then you must be a legitimate business.

There is a lower cost alternative, and provided you communicate sensitively, it will usually be accepted. Just tell them that you have found airmail from China very reliable and speedy and you would prefer to use that service. Note however, that it can take 2 -3 weeks. HK Postal service is much quicker than China Mail, but that only suits suppliers with an office in HK or ready access to HK.

A word of warning about paying freight cost on receipt of goods: Always get a written quote from your courier for door to door service including Customs clearance. Depending on the value, you may still have to pay duty and/or tax, but if you do not make sure the clearance work is included in the quote it could cost you heaps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.