• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

What do you believe are the most fundamental skills to learn?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Daniel A, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Daniel A

Daniel A DIESEL Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,659
    For us who want to constantly improve our lives in general; we have to develop more skills, our character, etc than the majority of people.

What do you see as the most important/fundamental ones?

Please go into detail for each one you post and maybe give an example of it being used successfully.

Thanks

2. Sir Ingenious

Sir Ingenious Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $270
    1. The Art of Fitness
    Make sure you live as long as you able and be physically and mentally capable the entire time.

Fitness is all about discipline, which is a crucial skill in this world.

So you can physically survive on this Earth long enough to...

2. The Art of Selling
    ...sell for as long as you need to.

To instill value in many many human beings, as many as you can touch for as long as you can.

When they believe in you, they will buy from you.

Buying comes in many, many different forms but it all comes from trust.

They trust you because you're capable. That's it.

However, you must first...

3. The Art of Self
    ...choose yourself in order to begin the process.

This is where it all starts: choose yourself and practice self-mastery.

You must absolutely forbid anyone else from ever being your master.

Pick yourself, motivate yourself and build yourself.

4. The Art of Success
    It is the result of all above.

But this is the last step. When you reach this step, you will know because you will be content, confident and complete.

I think this is a good question, which I've been pondering about for a long time now.

3. Runum

Runum Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,082
    Develop strong communication skills. Email, text, written, oral, body language. Control of voice inflection.

Communication can be the barrier that keeps you from getting what you want and a lot of teens and twenties lack good communication skills, especially written.

4. Avus

Avus Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $168
    So far patience and communication have been two biggest ones I've encountered.

1 person likes this.
  5. Omerta

Omerta Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $729
    Autonomy/independence. Never depend on someone else, financially.

Perseverance, willpower, networking, writing and time management. Those are very important in my opinion.

Oh and being healthy both physically and mentally and maintaining it as long as it need to be.

JohnnyAppleseed and Daniel A like this.
  6. DeletedUser9

DeletedUser9 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    Self Belief, Focus, Discipline and the Ability To Suppress things that don't matter that could be interfering with your goals.

JohnnyAppleseed and Daniel A like this.
  7. DeletedUser2

DeletedUser2 Guest

Rep Bank:
    $
    sales,

communications (runum has it in 1)

self control, emotional logical

understanding people, understanding communication

leadership.

risk taking

management

accounting

basic financial understanding

hot to ask quality questions, and dig deeper for better answers

how to develop good habits

self discipline

research.

just the usual suspects

Z

8. AmyQ

AmyQ Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $364
    Business process management.

Example of it being used:

1. Customer service: We used to only rely on our customer service reps to respond to customer concerns. Our feedback on this process was pre-hisitoric. If customers got bad service, we would only find out about it if they went up the food chain to contact management. Now, I review customer service logs in our CRM weekly. If a customer isn't being handled properly, I give the cs rep feedback within one business day. We no longer rely on our customers to do the job of auditing our cs experience. It was never their job to begin with.

2. Merchant accounts: I audit every sale on a transactional level. This allows me to 1. give our tech team feedback to audit code 2. ensure merchant accounts fees are being accurate and 3. negotiate merchant fees.

Businesses that scale master processes.

Trs_Shup and Daniel A like this.
  9. yaleinnovator

yaleinnovator New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $68
    One crucial skill to learn to for success is how to communicate effectively. Body language, using verbal communication at its highest potential (most people don't), and understanding the depths of personal interaction will prove highly beneficial in any area of work you choose. I advise you to look into NLP, neuro-linguistic programming. It is the ability to program your brain and the brains of others for success, confidence, or any rewiring of personal beliefs, attributes or habits to your choosing. There are no limits to the utilization of this ability.

JokerCrazyBeatz and Daniel A like this.
  10. Daniel A

Rep Bank:
    $4,659
    BUMP

11. RogueInnovation

RogueInnovation Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,695
    Zen nailed it

But heres mine

Market researching
    For example you look up whats already getting sold, or ask questions about what could serve the market better
    i) You develop a cup holder, so you look at who uses what and when, what they prefer and why, before you settle on any solution

Prototyping/sourcing/manufacturing
    Getting samples, setting up examples of possible product, setting down possible deals, and working out the manufacture process and plan for meeting demand
    i) What is it made of, who has the capacity to do it, are there places that will do it better and outcompete you? Whats the prototype look like, do people respond to it? Can you find the best product option?

Process control/hiring/systems integration
    The connection between sales and delivery
    i) Inventory and sales systems need to be clean and clearly visible. You wanna see what everyone is doing and be able to get answers quickly so problems get solved quickly when they arise. Like if an order goes missing, do you track it? If production dips, do you know why (maybe someone didn't show up, signing in is an easy solution to this)?

Packaging/Marketing/Connections and distribution strategies
    Setting up the right feel of the product so that when shipped it meets standards of the retailers and distribution channels
    i) If I come into the store front, the product should not look like its natural habitat is a warehouse, those are only temporary stops for products and you want to maximise eye sight in displays so that people are satisfied and take it home and put it up.

Management/Leadership/Finances
    Having someone to trust to keep all these things in line, who can deal with most things, so that most babysitting is off your shoulders
    i) People always twiddle their thumbs, unless you ask the trouble shooting questions like, what was revenue, whats happening with sales, what issues are there, how are the relationships with clients going? And your management team needs to know how to do diligence on the processes and relationships, or things will come to a halt (there is an episode of the profit about a coffee shop that has this issue)

Strategic planning
    To capture the potential opportunities
    i) What are your plans? Apple pops into my mind when I think of this. He always looking for what would launch to the public and be a big hit, and when he brought out the mp3 player, with a boat ton of songs, and super fast transfering capacity, that charged off your usb outlet while you changed songs, and had a neat functionality and design, he succeeded.
    He expanded from just computers into music and phones, and it was a great untapped market opportunity, where he absolutely solved the problems in the market.

Then you need what zen mentions to develop and run it.
    :jimlad:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Daniel A, townhaus and The Grind like this.
  12. ljb7

ljb7 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,706
    Taking action...

...and what everyone else has said.

13. decaobr

decaobr Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $289
    How to create and change your own Habits, are pretty important!

Daniel A likes this.
  14. Kreedos Phoenix

Kreedos Phoenix Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,775
    Some really good fundamentals in here. Having the ability to keep your emotions in check, along with persistence, will go hand in hand. I've found that although I've had some significant wins, I've also absorbed some tough losses along the way.

The ability to persist while keeping things in perspective can take you a long way. Be able to get out of your feelings and control your emotions. Just a few principles that have helped me stay in the game and compete. Good thread.

Daniel A likes this.
  15. Daniel A

Rep Bank:
    $4,659
    No mention of copywriting specifically -- yet. So I'll add it in.

16. IceCreamKid

IceCreamKid With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $117,456
    • How to create value
    • How to reach the market and communicate that value to them. If your biz is online, learn how to drive traffic
    • How to convert the traffic into sales(funnels, copywriting, quality photos, etc)
    Each of these take time to learn, but if you just commit to taking action daily you'll eventually figure it out. Each of those 3 categories have plenty of books written on them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  17. LinorCG

LinorCG Reaching the top Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,395
    Sticking to one idea at a time and seeing it to the end.

Charnell and Daniel A like this.
  18. Digamma

Digamma Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,988
    In my experience, there are few things that are fundamental. Other things come naturally when you got these down.

First, self discipline. Which means the ability to control yourself, instead of being controlled by yourself. You learn how to be uncomfortable, how to act despite fear, how to recognize your own excuses and push through them.
    You need to be your own pointy haired boss if you want to live without one, that's what I learned.
    Working on your body and your mind come directly from the process. Creating habits too. The ability to take action.

Second, hustling. Which means the ability to evaluate and take risks, the willingness to find a way around any problem, to stick to a plan through thick and thin. To live like a bum while hoarding cash and investing it. To sacrifice everything for the plan.

Third, confidence. Which means the ability to believe in yourself in spite of all the evidence. Learning how to communicate and persuade, to sell, comes from this blind belief in yourself and what you are selling.

JokerCrazyBeatz and Daniel A like this.
  19. eWomenNetwork

eWomenNetwork New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $138
    For me, it's Perseverance. If I had to choose the single most valuable skill a person can have for their entire life, I would choose this. It can lead to opportunities, even when it seems like there are none. Perseverance teach you how to manage a crisis and makes you more resilient.

Daniel A and chriswarner like this.
  20. Bhanu

Bhanu Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $542
    For me it would be :
    GIVING

Giving value to fellow human being . Quoting from one of my Favorite book :
    "Watch out for the other guy. Watch out for his interest.Watch his back.Forget fifty-fifty son. Fifty-fifty is loosing proposition.The Only winning proposition is one hundred percent.Make your win about the other person,go after what he wants.
    Because if you place the other person's interest first,your interest will always be taken care of.Always.Some people call it it enlightened self interest."

Daniel A and Dubidu like this.
  21. Maxboost

Maxboost Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,152
    Here are a few that have not been discussed yet...

1-The ability to Sell- If you can't sell, it doesn't matter what product or service you have, you are done before you begin.

2-The ability to critically think- So much bullshit out there, separating truth from bullshit and CHANGING your beliefs and world view based on new evidence is crucial. Most people will never leave the script because of this. People miraculously get lucky when it comes to wealth from their point of view.

3-Speed Reading- Learning how to process information very quickly helped me tremendously over the past few years. There are countless resources out there if anyone is interested.

Daniel A and JohnnyAppleseed like this.
  22. Fastlane Liam

Fastlane Liam Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,727
    "I do not think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature." - John D. Rockefeller

Daniel A and eWomenNetwork like this.
  23. Dubidu

Dubidu Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $262
    I worked with a high net worth client - humble beginnings. Bearing in mind I see between 10-20 very wealthy clients I learned from their mistakes and ultimately found each of them to be inspiring in their own ways - not one bad client experience which ultimately triggered my own desire to do my own thing. One stuck out though because he's the only one who said/admitted it: he got a coach and attributed his success to her. I have tried coaching for personal matters but have yet to find a coach to really accelerate me into where I want to be. What do others think about coaches to obtain/beef up skills they've considered necessary?

Daniel A likes this.
  24. Dubidu

Dubidu Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $262
    Is there any resource in particular you'd recommend for speed reading? Tim Ferris has a technique that I found quite helpful (he lops off a couple of centimetres at the beginning and end of the sentence and it doesn't limit comprehension) but interested to know if you think there are better ones out there?

Daniel A likes this.
  25. Maxboost

Maxboost Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,152
    Google Image Result for http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrirKnCXQjyY5V7qWDNPKzncWB3tJloEglWhFyCUVPPtm4DMYY

This one is really helpful. Speed reading is very good for soft reading, not technical manuals where you need to absorb information before moving on.

Daniel A and Dubidu like this.