The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do the Doers Do?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
So many people are not happy with their situation. They want more and are looking for ways to achieve.

But, so many people fail at starting. Many more fail at the first obstacle. Yet even more fail at the perceived line of roadblocks in front of them. The ones that get through are the real doers!

The doer is a solution finder. The doer will grind while others wonder why they bother. The doer will not be intimidated by words from others. The doer will not be stopped by problems that look insurmountable.

The doer will do!

I am going to take this moment to brag a bit. Just for an example, mind you... :)

Our most recent purchase of the golf course was a huge leap of faith. So many things were wrong. We needed to take a completely f*cked up course and make it playable again. In the process we have to count on players coming back to play after walking away in frustration.

The playing area should be primarily grass. More that 30% of it was dirt!

Everyone around here had an opinion on why and were happy to tell me how to fix it. The GM and Superintendent informed me of how simple it would be. Just replace the missing sprinkler heads they said.

We have a winter seed process that happens every year. It is critical that it works. I was assured that this process was simple that that the facility was ready for it. If the grass does not come in.... we fail! Our business relies on the winter visitors that come from the north to play golf. We must pull in enough money during the season to carry us forward.

Well, we had a pump problem the first day that we shut down for the overseed process. The seed was delayed because we were preoccupied and did not have the ability to put water down. This took a few days to patch and we hired someone to come back and fix correctly at a later date.

Anyway, a week later the seed still was not down. Our operations and all income were shut down for this. The super had all sorts of excuses. I told him that we were seeding ready or not. He said that his experienced guys were not there that day and wanted to wait again. I told him that he was going to train me and the other workers and we were going to put the seed down. So we did and it was not difficult.

This continued the next day and we got most of the seed down.

Then the wind came up... real hard. The 30% of the course that did not have grass were blown clear of the seed. We did not have time to react and put anything in place to hold it down. The seed for the course cost over 25K! The real problem was that nobody noticed that the seed was gone.

A few days later it started growing. I was happy. A few days later, I realized that less than 50% of the course was sprouting. When I went to the super about it he said that he was concerned also and started giving all sorts of excuses. Even bringing up the idea that the course was sabotaged. I turned into a rabid dog.

I was spending a lot of time on the mowers and was all over the course most of the time. During this time, I was observing and noticed a lot of unevenness in the moisture on the course. All of our irrigation is setup on a complex system. I started mapping out the dry areas and asked for more water to be placed in those areas and was told that this was not possible. Then came the answer I was looking for... "well, it may be possible but I don't know how to do it".

We immediately got our rep on the phone and he told us how to make the changes.

I continued mapping out the course and making changes. I found empty locations between golfers and put more water on during the daytime. More grass grew but not much more.

The super then told me that there are different nozzle sizes for the sprinklers and that some may have low water volume heads on them. I went around the entire 130 acres and looked at each sprinkler head. I changed over 150 to the higher volume nozzles.

I was now monitoring all of the areas that had low/no growth and making sure that they had enough water.

Still... over 20% of the areas had no growth to speak of. It is now 22 days since the original shutdown. Members were expressing their concern. I am working every waking hour.

I decided to reseed all the bare areas. It was now becoming apparent that some of the areas had lost seed.

I found more problems. The majority of one of the fairways was bare. I dug into the dirt and found that the grass thatch was so thick (and dead) that there was no way that the seeds could root through it. The super suggested taking one of our tractors with a rake attachment to take up the thatch. I suggested a deeper thatching method but he felt it would be too disruptive to the golfers.

I continued to drive the course multiple times a day fixing irrigation problems and watering between golfers. All the while still mapping and monitoring.

Much of the seed was now starting to fill in but other problems were now becoming apparent. Many of the sprinklers were not putting out the volume that they should. I talked to the irrigation crew and they told me that they needed to frequently clean the individual sprinkler filters as they plugged. I had them teach me as this was not an easy process.

As I continued monitoring and cleaning it became clear that the heads in some areas were plugging immediately after cleaning. I tried to flush the system (miles of 8 inch pipe does not flush easily) to the point that I was saturating the course but not solving the problem.

The guys that work on the irrigation do not speak good English. One of them had been here for 15 years and told me that algae was growing inside of the pipes. This has been a problem here for a long time.

So, I continued cleaning, monitoring and mapping. I put the irrigation team to task on helping keep water on the problem areas.

to be continued...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The irrigation water is supplied by five pumps and water from two lakes.

During this long process the company that had done work on the pumps came to me to say that I was on the verge of losing the water for the entire golf course. They pointed out that only 2 of the five pumps were working and that even those two were weak. These pumps and the components take a crane to lift because they are so large and heavy. They wanted 2K to evaluate what they needed and estimated 50-60K in repairs. We are paying salaries for 20 people while taking in next to nothing in income. Money is starting to run low.

This company was already working on the pump stations for us on another issue that they could not fix. They blamed the overall condition of the system as the reason that they were unable to get the problem resolved.

I called someone else to look at it. The original group now pulled their guys off the job and demanded payment. The new group quickly resolved their problem and gave me a much better synopsis. They now have four of the five pumps working well and one in the process of rebuild. Once they finish this one they will rebuild another that they just put a patch on.

Still have to solve the algae problem. Part of the mainline developed a leak. I helped with the repair and as they took a section of pipe out, I was able to examine it. There was not algae growing inside. There was a blob of loose algae sitting in the bottom of the pipe though.

So the obvious problem is that it is coming from the lake! At this point I found out that there are filters on the pipes for each lake. One if them was clear of any debris and the other was completely saturated in about 30 lbs. of this crap. These filters take three people to lift so it is not an easy task to check them. The bolts are huge and there are motors and crap to disassemble. Fun!

The next step is to drain the lakes to check the screens covering the inlet to the wet well. I suspect that they will both need to be replaced but feel confident that we will have a full resolution to this problem soon. There may be a challenge with dealing with the algae but since summer is over we should have some time to analyze. We can't really solve it with chemicals since the water is delivered to the grass on the course.

Back to the seed. Most of the course is now growing with the exception of the areas with dense thatch. I took a vertical grass cutter out and ran over these areas multiple times, raked and put down more seed. Still waiting to see what happens here but the areas are roped off for now.

All the diligence on the course has paid off. The course is greening up nicely and the patrons are very happy.

We are now averaging over 100 rounds per day and gaining. Nothing but compliments!!!!

This is not even all that I have been working on. Not a single process in the business seemed to be right. I have other stories for futures posts!

This business was on the verge of being a complete disaster. We are not out of the water but looking much stronger at this point.

I could have curled up in a ball and belted out blame for all the problems. But, DOING seemed to be the right thing at the time...

Last edited:

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
I could have curled up in a ball and belted out blame for all the problems. But, DOING seemed to be the right thing at the time...

In the meantime, MILLIONS of hardcore NFL enthusiasts are slaving away countless hours working with their investments in fanduel and draftkings!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Pfffft easy bro i got this, hold my beer!

No seriously this is GOLD

I repeat, GOLD!!!!

I myself have barely made any money at all but have already ran into countless challenges to overcome, I can see how most people quit.

ENTRY BARRIER FTW!

yo mj make this GOLD.
When i first saw the gold course purchase thread the glamour of it hyped me up, but this thread exposes the reality that people don't want to accept.

Last edited:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
haha, gotta love the real world. While most people will say, look at that rich guy, owns golf courses and doesn't have to do a thing.

[edit, i'm laughing with you not at you ;) ]

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
but this thread exposes the reality that people don't want to accept.
It exposes the amount of work and the type of work that people can't/won't deal with. I can't see some executive in charge scraping algae off of a filter with hands that are bruised and bleeding from the many that needed to be dealt with. In the meantime, your feet are soaking wet from flushing valves and your tools are floating away. The executive cannot fix the problem or understand what resources need to be applied because they don't fully understand the problem.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I am going to take this moment to brag a bit.
....in a modest way. I didn't read it as bragging.....just solving problems. Well done.

Excellent example of what it takes to be a doer. I hope this gets a million reads.

What was the time frame that all this occurred ? ( I looked for the purchase date..didn't find it and had to stop ).

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
Congratulations!

Going after root causes and solving problems. That's my mindset too.

I hope you keep posting about your progress.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Talk about one thing going wrong after another
But this is business... I have been dealing with apartments for many years. There are always things that happen and you have to be ready to deal with them. One property had a water leak under the slab that showed up while under contract to sell. Two different properties had fires just before the sale. I once had to shut the water off on an entire 128 unit complex for four hours on New Year's Eve (But guess who stayed until it was fixed). There was a mainline break and a hole had to be dug in the parking lot. I could not get a plumber to come out and fix it that day so I did it myself.

I did do my due diligence on the golf course. I planned on putting 32K into the pump systems but did not expect them to get this critical this quick. I also have targeted money for dealing with algae in the ponds and irrigation. I did not realize that they would overlap like this. I also though my staff would be better equipped to deal with these issues but that was a pipe dream...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
....in a modest way. I didn't read it as bragging.....just solving problems. Well done.

Excellent example of what it takes to be a doer. I hope this gets a million reads.

What was the time frame that all this occurred ? ( I looked for the purchase date..didn't find it and had to stop ).
We purchased the property in early September. The winter seed process has been going on for 5 weeks.

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
It seems you had a vision for what the place could be like and made that happen. Hats off to you sir for seeing the potential and making it happen!

OperationMyWay

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Nov 26, 2013
@SteveO How safe would you say the superintendent's job is? From reading your post it seems like he is a guy that will give you the 99 reasons something won't work instead of looking for the 1 solution that does. Is he a good worker who fell into apathy due to prior management's lack of leadership? Does he have the skillset or desire buried deep down that just needs to be brought back to the surface?

I ask because I think it would be beneficial for all of us here to dig deeper on your thought process on how to deal with an employee who I believe is in a critical role for determining your future success with the course. Love hearing about your progress and thanks for providing yet another example of what kind of effort winning at the business game really takes.

Cheers!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@SteveO How safe would you say the superintendent's job is? From reading your post it seems like he is a guy that will give you the 99 reasons something won't work instead of looking for the 1 solution that does. Is he a good worker who fell into apathy due to prior management's lack of leadership? Does he have the skillset or desire buried deep down that just needs to be brought back to the surface?

I ask because I think it would be beneficial for all of us here to dig deeper on your thought process on how to deal with an employee who I believe is in a critical role for determining your future success with the course. Love hearing about your progress and thanks for providing yet another example of what kind of effort winning at the business game really takes.

Cheers!
At this point I am forcing directions. We butt heads a lot. He has many years of knowledge about this course that nobody else has.

In the long term I need a direction change from him. In fact, I need a culture change.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
It seems you had a vision for what the place could be like and made that happen. Hats off to you sir for seeing the potential and making it happen!
I still have 2 years to make this into my vision. It is a work in progress. The big issues that I had run into were threatening the existence though.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
Everyone around here had an opinion on why and were happy to tell me how to fix it. The GM and Superintendent informed me of how simple it would be. Just replace the missing sprinkler heads they said.

to be continued...

There's another obstacle you have to deal with. Unlike my business where I can hide out in my basement shop far removed from the prying eyes of the public, you have countless 'experts' ready and willing to give you advice!

Dealing with these types of people would break my concentration and slow the wheels of progress. On the other hand, if someone were watching me work, they would be too clueless to chime in with "hey, have you tried it this way?" :happy:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Christmas morning does not mean that the golf course closes. My guys still come in to prep for play. It all starts very early in the morning.before the sun.jpg Greens.jpg Fairway Mower.jpg shop.jpg Cleanup.jpg

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
SteveO glad to hear things are working out, your tenacity had been an inspiration for years for me. I remember Adam Carolla saying this in his book. "For years, this door in my parent's house was broken. For probably a decade plus. It wasn't because no one could fix it. It was because no one would will themselves to do it!" Action takers get the challenge, the solution, and the spoils!

If you have a free moment in the next few months, watch the movie "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins, you'll like it!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Wow.

I forgot about this post. This was sidetracked from the original golf course post.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
11a4eb7233819fc272bf8044908fc3ab.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw48hJJFfL8

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
I know nothing about golfing nor have I ever been to a golf course. But I'm wondering do you offer professional cleaning services for your customer's golf clubs?

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

Cheers!

At this point I am forcing directions. We butt heads a lot. He has many years of knowledge about this course that nobody else has.

In the long term I need a direction change from him. In fact, I need a culture change.

Just read this thread from the start and wondered the same thing, now that it's been a few years how did you go with this @SteveO?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Just read this thread from the start and wondered the same thing, now that it's been a few years how did you go with this @SteveO?
I have mostly kept things up to date
Still doing it. Income has increased greatly. We fired the top management and ran it ourselves until we found replacements.

More information in this post GOLD! - Margaritaville (I've Bought A Golf-Course!) I have kept it somewhat up to date.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I know nothing about golfing nor have I ever been to a golf course. But I'm wondering do you offer professional cleaning services for your customer's golf clubs?
Some courses provide a complementary cleaning at the end of the round. Basically for tips. We don't because our clientele seem like they would rather save the two bucks.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Some courses provide a complementary cleaning at the end of the round. Basically for tips. We don't because our clientele seem like they would rather save the two bucks.

I see. Thanks for replying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.