The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Computer Science areas that are "different"

Dbbuzbee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 8, 2016
Washington DC
I'm looking to study Computer Science, but I'm looking to study something a little "different" than the basic programming path because this standard area of programming doesn't interest me. What areas of computer science are different in the skills needed for them? For example industries like VR, AI, what other areas like this exist?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Programming doesn't interest me either...I haven't gotten into it much, so maybe a more exciting time lies ahead. I hate to say it, but with a Math degree, SQL and other programming BS is usually a requirement for most of the "better" jobs out there. But, learning something along the computer science line also allows for freedom to work from anywhere with a computer and earn flow while working on your own idea. So I have the same question lol

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
I just got into programming recently and have been more so focusing on mobile development. The two best industries I have found are VR and AR (for mobile development). I'm more so in the VR industry and am currently developing using Unity for the Google Play Store and Oculus Store. The reason I'm in this industry is because it aligns with the need I'm serving and there is very little competition right now. The second industry that I have noticed that is about to blow up is Augmented Reality (AR). More specifically I would suggest looking into Apple's AR Kit (just released in June) and perhaps even developing with Apple's AR Kit using Unity's plugin for it. This fall Apple is releasing iOS 11 with AR Kit apps so it's definitely worth looking into because in my opinion AR is going to be huge and is only just getting started. Hope this helps!

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
VR and AI are programming like any other. Learn the fundamentals first. Refer to @jon.a answer above for the starting point.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
If you don't like programming, then I think computer science per se isn't the right choice. AI is strictly programming, and if you want to be a leader then you have to know some pretty advanced mathematics - which I'm guessing you also don't like ( since math and programming tend to go hand in hand ).

You could study information technology, i.e. utilizing off the shelf software and hardware to service the needs of a business. Still highly technical and useful, but not heavy in programming. Perhaps some light scripting, but nothing close to software engineering.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm looking to study Computer Science, but I'm looking to study something a little "different" than the basic programming path

I haven't taken a course in computer science, but from what I understand you learn how algorithms (logical instructions for any computer, but not necessarily written in code) work, information theory (how you can take digital values of 1 and 0, and turn it into what you see on a screen), operating systems, system architecture, and I think some basics on hardware, among other stuff. You won't become a good programmer just from CS course, but basically you'll learn how to learn programming.

standard area of programming doesn't interest me.
What's the standard area of programming?

For example industries like VR, AI, what other areas like this exist?

These areas are all built upon a foundation knowledge of computer science. Similar to how you can't create a book without knowing how to write, you won't really understand AI and VR without understanding basic computing. As for programming, even if you don't have any interest in actually writing code (which I don't blame you in the slightest), you still need to know how it works.

Overall with computer science, if you strip everything else away, I'd say the most fundamental skills are logic and problem solving. These skills are also critical in math, but that's not to say computer science is just math applied to computers.

There are lots of free CS lectures online. I would suggest checking those out first before you sign up, to make sure it's really what you want to do.

EDIT: and in case I didn't emphasize this, if you learn computer science you will ABSOLUTELY 100% have to write code.

Last edited:

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
I love computer science. The building blocks in every advanced subject of it is algorithms and data structures. Learn those first. They are also required courses in any CS program. Next would be to learn databases because you need to be able to store data and pull data from it. As far as advanced topics. It's so many of them. But I'll try to solve a problem or make a app pertaining to something and learn those topics then build/ create something off that. Anything in AI is the way to go. But that topic has also gotten so huge. ML, AR, VR, etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
I'm looking to study Computer Science, but I'm looking to study something a little "different" than the basic programming path because this standard area of programming doesn't interest me. What areas of computer science are different in the skills needed for them? For example industries like VR, AI, what other areas like this exist?

Thanks

More future/long-term: Holograms, think magic leap, sooo many applications

Mid Term - AI like you mentioned - but truly, what does that even mean, you are still going to have to decide where to focus in AI

Short term (my opinion) - Image recognition and pattern matching (terrascet - i can't remember the right word here). Multiple applications on the image recognition, and companies always want to know about patterns.

Now (atleast for me) - Figuring out a way to take big a$$ amounts of data and do something with it. I mean more like guts here - alot of people can build the frame of a house, not many are plumbers. AI is going to need data, someone is going to have to feed it.

EDIT: read you were brand new to this (sorry forum) - but i would said learn mobile, most ubiquitous and will teach you multiple things. Plus all the stuff i mentioned above will also feed directly into mobile/iOT.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.