The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Color Ferrari Should I Buy? (I Have Twenty Bucks)

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Part of the reason for this is The Fear of Failure. I know we talk a lot about entitlement around here, but people are deathly afraid of failing, which is a huge reason for this mentality. People are so afraid they are going to wind up homeless, or bankrupt, or lose their house, or their spouse/partner, that they don't want to fail at all, so they keep looking for magic (not me, I'm Magik, not magic :)). I now view failing as a positive thing, not a negative one, but before I came to this forum, failing was really scary, even though I have failed a ton already. The fear of failure keeps people from going ALL IN. They play it safe and in turn, get safe, mediocre results. Reading the posts from @zen******* has taught me that pushing hard, going all in, not being a pansy, and saying "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" is what makes someone successful. When it comes down to two options: be wildly successful or go down in flames, you are forced to change (sometimes gradually) into a better person. But you have to risk failing first, or you won't get there.

So, I think it's a mixture of entitlement and fear of failure. I'd say entitlement is more common with sidewalkers and fear of failure is more common with slowlaners. But both are a problem.

Zen is dead on. Hey, we have a thread on mentality and psychology as well from icecreamkid :)

If your afraid of the risks and failure, once again this isn't for you. I've been in the corporate world for many many years, people who have been there for 40+ years. They're happy with a comfy 9-5 job making 50k/yr waiting for retirement at 65, kudos to them. I wont accept that lifestyle.

I bet you 9/10 people here have failed before striking something successful. I've lost thousands in multiple business ventures in the past few years. If I hit a homer on the first pitch, fantastic. Even though, I failed multiple times and lost a ton of cash..doesn't change my end goal. I learnt a lot from those experiences and I'm still learning a ton from the people off this forum which is helping me getting closer and closer to my goals.

I can relate this to pick up. People are afraid of rejection. Why am I alone? I never get laid, etc etc blah. How many girls have you approached today, this week, this month..0? Step out of your comfort zone. Pick up is a numbers game, approach 10-15 people today. Educate yourself, improve yourself. With in weeks, you'll start seeing results, I promise you.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you're hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thought of this thread this morning....

igVEGCK.jpg

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
This is a video of a 60 minutes special on Nick Saban, head coach of Alabama football. It had a big impact on me when I first saw it. IMO, it greatly sums up where one's focus should be. Keep in mind, this is a guy who could just "dial it in" and cruise, but he refuses to.

Last edited:

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
Lol this thread reminds me of my intentions when I first joined fastlane forum. I was planning to write a excellent heartfelt thread asking for 1 million pounds, then I was mentally masturbating over what I was going to invest the million pounds in. I found this forum by looking for a community of millionaires I was thinking stuff like "If someone has 20 million why don't they give 1 million to me?". I never got around to making the thread though haha.

Thankfully I have changed now, since I've read the book and loads of posts on here I have changed my perspective. I came here for the wrong intentions then benefited from the knowledge thanks to MJ and all of the Fastlane community :tiphat:. This experience of mine kind of gives you a lesson, whatever thoughts you get execute them, you may never know what gems you find (Sorry I'm not good at creating my own words of wisdom lol, I hope you get what I mean). Or whatever business ideas you have, execute them and fail so you can learn from your mistakes :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
The problem is, these fkn ppl want everything given to them on a silver plater

Part of the reason for this is The Fear of Failure. I know we talk a lot about entitlement around here, but people are deathly afraid of failing, which is a huge reason for this mentality. People are so afraid they are going to wind up homeless, or bankrupt, or lose their house, or their spouse/partner, that they don't want to fail at all, so they keep looking for magic (not me, I'm Magik, not magic :)). I now view failing as a positive thing, not a negative one, but before I came to this forum, failing was really scary, even though I have failed a ton already. The fear of failure keeps people from going ALL IN. They play it safe and in turn, get safe, mediocre results. Reading the posts from @zen******* has taught me that pushing hard, going all in, not being a pansy, and saying "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" is what makes someone successful. When it comes down to two options: be wildly successful or go down in flames, you are forced to change (sometimes gradually) into a better person. But you have to risk failing first, or you won't get there.

So, I think it's a mixture of entitlement and fear of failure. I'd say entitlement is more common with sidewalkers and fear of failure is more common with slowlaners. But both are a problem.

G

GuestUser113

This is the problem I have. After i get past my own setbacks i stop here because i dont know "how to" or "what to"

In chapter 37 MJ you talk about giving your road a destination- define your lifestlyle etc - after i have defined what you want to earn each month and the type of lifestyle you want to sustain - i dont know what approach to take.

How do you know what business or method to pursue that will have the potential to earn you that much so you can then get passionate about the idea to then attempt it?

You mentioned 3 fastlane interstates and 7 internet business models - if you have defined what you want how do you connect these to what you defined for yourself? Are you not just picking methods to earn money again? Your premise is that monthly figure which you outlined...the How is my biggest problem and the biggest setback.

People on this forum have a wealth of knowledge. Some are EXTREMELY successful. While others are up and coming. Think of this forum as a tool. Search the forum. None of us are going to hold your hand. What you are asking is simply something that you can only answer yourself. You come up with something. Ask yourself is this of value? In the mean time read this - http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2012/10/how-to-become-an-idea-machine/ and this http://mixergy.com/course-cheat-sheet-rapid-validation

G

GuestUser113

The more one emphasizes winning, the less he or she is able to concentrate on what actually causes success. Like little kids in the back seat "Are we there yet?" Get where you’re going 1 mile-marker at a time. Success doesn’t come from pie-in-the-sky thinking. It’s the result of consciously doing something each day that will add to your overall excellence. I love Nick Saban! I'm also reading Ryan Holiday - The Obstacle Is The Way

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I think we should have awards for these types of things. I know its vain, but if people ask we will blame it on @TheTruth . I think the best one that I can remember was...

"Make me a millionaire and I will give most of it away to charity..."

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Educational institutions are now manufacturing an entire generation of brain-dead millennials who have never failed in their entire life, and have a wall of participation trophies to show for it. They’re groomed to believe that hard work is optional. Competing, optional. Going above the call, optional. Born rockstars, these kids think they can just show up and win all that life has to offer.
Wow, that is SO true. I'm salivating at the release of this book. After reading the first one like four times now, it'll be AWESOME to have more Fastlane insights.

I feel compelled to make a side note...Looking at that book excerpt, this is part of the reason the ghostwriting model doesn't work for me. A voice like that can't be duplicated for any price. Just sayin'...

Last edited by a moderator:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I initially avoided this thread thinking it was going to be a facepalm, nice surprise.

I just ended a PM conversation with a forum member who basically asked me "want business, wat do?" I literally walked him through a handful of examples and business models that are very easy to start. I even gave him examples of how I started my company, and how I've seen other companies get up and running. His responses were all "you can't do that." :banghead:
I think that this post, and MJ's original can be summed thusly:

"You can lead the horse to water but you sure as HELL cannot make him drink (think/do)."

Usually in the Marines I was the Sergeant in the back kicking the weak/reluctant up the hill with a boot in their butts. It worked...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
@MJ DeMarco, for twenty dollars you can have many Ferrari's in the color of the rainbow.

3207794425_de1bcc5487.jpg

"I will buy a Veyron and post the pictures" was another legendary example.
I have seen that thread. I will admit though, he'd make a good fictional writer. Maybe he should start a business doing just that.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
I have twenty bucks … what color Ferrari do I buy when I succeed?

^ I always laugh when I see posts like this.

My recent favorite was "Buying A Bugatti & I'll Post Pics To Prove it" No one cares if you buy a Bugatti or a house with 30 full baths besides all the slowlaners, what are you trying to prove? That your 1.2m went to "Show Boat" to people. "Look I finally made it" and then complains about people trying to mooch off him/her. Your just asking for trouble by "flaunting" your wealth. The power isn't in buying the luxury item, but knowing you can afford it.

In regards to people coming here for mental masturbation I don't understand it. You can always talk about the the next big idea or if we get 10,0000 subscribers on our membership website we'll be making 250k a month. Or asking for advice and gets great advice, then ignores all of it. Theres a wealth of information on this forum, there's no point of being here if you don't want to keep adding tools to your tool box.

While you may not have the same business forever, the same tools that you used to create business/industry #1 will come in handy in business/industry #12.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

When you're starting a business, there are THINGS to worry about, and things NOT to worry about.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
These stories usually go...

1. be broke
2. read tmf
3. brain starts to fizzle with wishful thinking and then suddenly... lighting strikes (the idea)
4. start having fantasies about being 'rich'
5. visit tmf forums to circle jerk while simultaneously forgetting about the entire process of achieving said fantasy/dream/idea.

Ya forgot...

6. Post excited intro and proclaim how you''re going to make $10M in 10 months.
7. Disappear next day, go back to your job, and never return.

Funny thing is, I was that daredevil, afraid of nothing guy. Then I had a big failure. Then came the divorce. The debts. The pain. Having to move into your brother's garage with only your bed and your clothes. Lost the houses. I can't recall anymore in what order things happened.

So, yeah, failure happens. And it is painful. And when it is just you, that is kinda OK. But when you have a family that depends on you then things take a whole different connotation.

An excuse not to move forward. A reason to say “Eh, I don’t know how, so I’m just going to keep my job.
I recognize myself in this. Point taken. It's been mentally stimulating to just immerse myself in the forum over the past couple of days. But nothing matters except action. Consistent action. Real world action, to move from step one to step two.

If you don’t get to STEP 32, you won’t have a STEP 32 to worry about, so why bother?

Start solving. Start learning. Start doing.

And start seeing results.

I started to become successful when I focused on BORING and DIFFICULT business opportunities.

Time to buckle down and get to work.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
the ones that are rich and do not drive a supercar,

Or it's just that the can and choose not too because it's not their cup of tea...

Or they've "been there, done that."

I'm all for spending your hard earn cash on what YOU enjoy, not what anyone else says.

You earned it, now enjoy it.

I take issue with certain billionaires, like the guy who spends $100K on a watch, and then is seen proselytizing on CNBC with such garbage as "Drive a used car if you want to get rich and invest it in an index-fund" and "wear cheap suits." Meanwhile, he showed up at the CNBC studio in a $4,000 leather jacket. How? Not because of indexed-funds.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
But wait.

Before you tell me what color I should get.

Can you tell me which MLM I should join?

You know.

The one that will make me the most money.

You know, cause all I want is money, cause I have bills you know.

:hilarious:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I initially avoided this thread thinking it was going to be a facepalm, nice surprise.

I just ended a PM conversation with a forum member who basically asked me "want business, wat do?" I literally walked him through a handful of examples and business models that are very easy to start. I even gave him examples of how I started my company, and how I've seen other companies get up and running. His responses were all "you can't do that." :banghead:

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
MJ DeMarco said:
I have twenty bucks … what color Ferrari do I buy when I succeed?

Using this same theme, I love it when people say that it will be too difficult to decide what color Ferrari to buy, so it doesn't make any sense to even try to achieve success.

Lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBrucy

BruceTheFounder
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 27, 2013
Canada
I've realized now by spending some time on this forum that i'm a huge wantrepreneur. I must change. I'm reading everything I can on this forum as well alot of books on startup/entrepreneurship. Need to stop mentally masturbating and get my shit together. Its easy for me to be idle & blame it on the fact that i'm only 18, but I bet i'll think the exact same shit when i'm 23. At the end of the day action is the only thing that matters. Thanks guys for helping me realize this. This forums a huge wake up call.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I think we should take this thread more seriously. I feel like it's mocking people who can't decide on the colour of their Ferrari.
I'm sure many poor souls have spent months, even years contemplating the colour, and they come here begging for help and we shoot them down..
All that time that couldn't been out towards entrepreneurship...

Anyways, my Ferrari is gonna be ninja black.
Don't hate

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
It's kinda sad because some people really have the motivation, but don't know where to start. And it's not as easy when you're doing everything on your own. It's easier to complete work at a salaried job because you've been told what to do, and someone else has figured out a system that makes their business exist.

katly007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii
This is the problem I have. After i get past my own setbacks i stop here because i dont know "how to" or "what to"

In chapter 37 MJ you talk about giving your road a destination- define your lifestlyle etc - after i have defined what you want to earn each month and the type of lifestyle you want to sustain - i dont know what approach to take.

How do you know what business or method to pursue that will have the potential to earn you that much so you can then get passionate about the idea to then attempt it?

You mentioned 3 fastlane interstates and 7 internet business models - if you have defined what you want how do you connect these to what you defined for yourself? Are you not just picking methods to earn money again? Your premise is that monthly figure which you outlined...the How is my biggest problem and the biggest setback.

Arghhh... these questions sounds like the stuff my broke friends say all the time. I don't know "how" or "I don't know what to do" or "what business to start." Geez, it's like asking people to do all the thinking for you. How can someone tell you exactly what business you should do or road to take. They don't know your likes, skills, or what you can do or how motivated you are, or how much time or money you have to do it.

Start a list of ideas, and underneath each idea write down your skillset, what you need to execute that idea, and the actionable steps to take. Then prioritize which ones you "like or love or feel passionate about" and then you go and do it. Then if that idea fails, refer back to your list and start on the next one.

I really hope if I ever say that, someone please shake me or give me a wake up call and tell me to snap out of it. I've started keeping an ideas notebook so that helps tremendously and also, when I write it down in the notebook I don't have to keep all these ideas in my head and it makes it easier to think of new things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.