The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What changes when you become an entrepreneur

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Lot's of great stuff in the podcast

I actually summarised the entire podcast for my personal reading.

A balance between revealing everything and motivation and I struggle with that
Sometimes if you tell everybody everything, tell them something before they are ready for it

I guess that can be a demotivating factor.

Should I have given them less, should I have given them a portion of what they were ready to see now, so maybe they would stick in this thing longer

or should the pendulum swing to the other side and be more motivating and give them less
of the potential picture that isn't always a pretty picture .

When you just make the decision to do something different, see the 95 percent are sheep
that's why I affectionately call them sheeple and they are sticking to the 95%er plan

And when they see you doing something counterintuitive to that they just don't see it as weird they see it as a threat

They put sucky crab food inside the bucket but they put awesome crab food outside the bucket and the crabs know it, they can sense it or smell it whatever crabs do and when another crab tried to get out and get to the good food they just don't pull it back in they gang up on it and break its legs.

The people who are going to be the mist virulent, violent in those actions are the ones closes to you

The big shot in a lot of cases it's your spouse if your spouse has been with you since you were a 95%er I am sad to say there are not many spouses who will support that at best they will tolerate it

In addition one of you biggest enemies will now be the state which is totally contrarian

Entrepreneurs create things , they create values , they make things better for thousands, millions of people.

Infact the sate could not exist if they did not have a value creator to loot from, to loot those values from, they state cannot create anything so they loot value from others.

So you would think they state would kiss your a$$, the reason the F*cking parasites live is because of you, that's the only reason they exist without you they would die .

They are your biggest enemy they do everything to destroy you .

You need to start learning about asset protection, you totally need to get the concept of own nothing control everything , when I look up your name or hire a PI or some blood sucking shark attorney, when he looks into your assets, when they look into you they need to find nothing.

You have got to get a portion of your money outside your own home country ESPECIALLY if you live in the US or europe.

You just have to become accustomed to be a flat out contrarian and flat out weird, nobody will understand you

When everyone knows something to be true they know nothing but again that is totally contrarian to to who the 95%ers think that's what makes entrepreneurs great.

They look at the majority and think hmm everybody is doing it this way, I am going to go 180 degrees opposite, that's where the major breakthroughs come.

You can do that, you cant have that mindset and exist with the sheeple....at the very best if you keep your mouth shut they will tolerate you and leave you alone but word gets out and they are gonna target you and become your enemy.

You have got to get used to feeling alone because you are alone man,

Listen you are an freaking alien here, just to exist you're gonna have to develop great people skills to exist with the 95%ers actually it's probably closer to 99%

You'll see what I mean after you been an entrepreneur awhile and have a measure success good back and visit with the peers you use to hang out with , people you used to work with, your old friends....you don't fit in

You gotta get real good at listening and keeping you mouth shut because no one wants to hear your opinion because you are an alien here you look at the world completely different and the minute you begin express your opinion among the sheeple.

You have just now put a target on your self and became enemy number one for sabotage for stealing your assets, for blackmailing you.

You have to become a truth seeker where you operate totally on logic, you look on this world differently that almost nobody knows their true reason for doing anything.

They dont have their own reasons they don't have their own thoughts, they think they are their own thoughts but they are thoughts planted by other people and often many of those thoughts were meticulously engineered.

Because it serves the the people who planted the thoughts and eyes open

When you become a truth seeker you are going to be amazed, this is essential to your success as an entrepreneur by the way.

Some would say it is a curse, this way of looking logically in evaluating your thoughts and your reasons for doing things is something nobody does man.

It's going to open you eyes and shake you awake and it isn't always pleasant infact sometimes its going to really piss you off and scare the hell out of you when your eyes have been opened and you're awake , looking at this world as an awake person.

When your eyes are really open, if you think you feel alone now as an entrepreneur, you're going to feel even more alone and isolated because actually even only a small percentage of entrepreneurs have their eyes totally open.

When I left the police force, they were excited about my demise, those who left for bigger and better most of them came crawling back within a year.

Even guys I was really close with, our relationship totally changed these were guys I would literally take a bullet for...

It is now I mention nothing about what i do, business, lifestyle, money nothing nothing nothing and these were two best friends in the world.

i was closer to them that they were to their spouses.

They tell old war stories of thins that happened in the past, they havent grown and I have grown in leaps and bounds because of this entrepreneurial experience but they cant handle it.

It amazing we still even maintain contact and its often uncomfortable contact more so for them than me.

I may be giving more of the picture than most are ready for at this time but I am gonna tell ya I didn't even share some of the bad experiences with relationships in my life.

But in spite of that it's all worth it.

the personal growth you'll experience, you are not gonna be the same person 5, 10 years from now your gonna be amazed at the personal growth you are forced to go through.

You are either gonna have to go through it or quit

You doing or doing things that 99% of the world cant do, they just cant , they dont have it, whatever it is. They don't have that.

The scales falling off your eyes.

You seeing the truth and being able to accept the truth in spite most of it is really painful to the belief system you currently have.

When you can see the truth you think your own thoughts and it's amazing what the world looks like.

Using the opportunities in that and how you can use that to grow your business.

After experiencing some success some will start feeling superior to the sheeple , the 95%.... thinking I am better than them.

Listen that's a rookie phase, you will grow out of that.

Because apart of being an entrepreneur you are going to be humbled a lot.

Even if you are an arrogant bastard your humbling is coming and if you are an arrogant bastard entrepreneur right now....

That tells me you are an rookie

There is still more growing to be done.

Entrepreneurs create things , they create values , they make things better for thousands, millions of people.

Sounds familiar;)

This is powerful because its one thing to hop into a market and parrot another idea but it's next level to improve upon that basis. It's not only about trying to offer the same service and value as everyone else but making it better, improving people's experiences and exceeding their expectations.

They put sucky crab food inside the bucket but they put awesome crab food outside the bucket and the crabs know it, they can sense it or smell it whatever crabs do and when another crab tried to get out and get to the good food they just don't pull it back in they gang up on it and break its legs.

Great analogy.

Ever sense that there is more to life than what you are being exposed to?

Entrepreneurs get that feeling..... they strive see what is on the other side because they know what everyone else is doing is "sucky" but they know the awesome stuff exists on the other side, the other path and when you deviate from what everyone else is doing they feel threatened and pull you back in and attempt to shatter your mindset to pieces so you stay apart of the herd on way or another.

the personal growth you'll experience, you are not gonna be the same person 5, 10 years from now your gonna be amazed at the personal growth you are forced to go through.

Hell I am not the same person I was 7 months ago.

You need to start learning about asset protection, you totally need to get the concept of own nothing control everything , when I look up your name or hire a PI or some blood sucking shark attorney, when he looks into your assets, when they look into you they need to find nothing.

Enough said....

They don't have their own reasons they don't have their own thoughts, they think they are their own thoughts but they are thoughts planted by other people and often many of those thoughts were meticulously engineered..

How many times have you believed that what you were doing in the slowlane was the right course of action, you fell for the trap nice 9-5, keep the boss happy, invest in the 401k and enjoy your one day off a week. Some people break the illusion decades in, how painful is it to find out that there was always better...

Even guys I was really close with, our relationship totally changed these were guys I would literally take a bullet for..

That one friend or relation you thought would last even through the end of the world...well people change in your eyes for the better in their eyes for the worse.

Even if you are an arrogant bastard your humbling is coming and if you are an arrogant bastard entrepreneur right now....

That tells me you are an rookie

I bet he stepped on a lot of toes maybe even the hosts! in that last part.

Should I have given them less, should I have given them a portion of what they were ready to see now, so maybe they would stick in this thing longer

or should the pendulum swing to the other side and be more motivating and give them less
of the potential picture that isn't always a pretty picture .

I believe this is super relevant to the podcast/-concept you are working on, overly motivating and owners bail after the natural high wanes which is bad for customer retention or atleast that's how I figure it.

Great share @andyblack, definitely my first gem for the new year.

Last edited:

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
There is a lot to take away from this.

In my introduction thread, I wrote "The first quote at the start of part one of MJ's book from Jodie Foster, spoke volumes to me. I've spent most of my life trying to be normal. I was successful in that goal"

to remind everyone what that quote is

" Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from."

That podcast rings a bell with me. If you are abbynormal the normals will try to cut you down, and try to make your life hell. It is very important to listen to people and learn not to say too much.

Yes I spent most of my life foolishly trying to be like normal people.

I did this since I grew up in a different social and economic environment than normal people my age. My early socialization was far from normal. I'm Canadian, so I'm like one of some 30 million other Canadians, but I'm a Francophone so I'm one of the 21% of Canadians who are French Canadians, Yet I've never lived in the Province of Quebec, just visited my relatives there. At an early age I could speak both French and English fluently and thought that everyone spoke both French and English. I wasn't normal for the average Canadian, but that was pretty normal and average for a child growing up in eastern Ontario.

Add to this mix that my dad worked for a branch of the Canadian government that I wasn't told much about and wasn't allowed to talk about. Suffice to say that if you were to google CBC film archives of the first royal visit of Queen Elizabeth to Canada in the early fifties my dad is seen doing crowd control behind her and Prince Phillip. My dad was also often captured on film wearing dark suits sun glasses with an ear buds behind our various prime ministers. One morning when I was in kindergarden my dad got me up dressed me fed me breakfast and drove me to school. Entering school everyone was looking at me and the teacher came to me and told me that I should be at home with my mom and family since my dad had been shot and killed that night and that news was all over the media. I'm like well he just dropped me off at the front doors, he's fine. They are all poor little boy has no grasp on reality, so I was taken home. Yes my dad was shot in the back, but was on duty and wearing protection but still had a nasty bruise on his shoulder blade. a few years later when I was 8 years old my dad was promoted and loaned to our department of external affairs, so we moved overseas. What my dad did at the various embassies was never fully told to us, the only thing my dad ever told me is that he looks for leaks......often people were sent back to Ottawa, embassies were moved to new locations.

From then I was raised in Belgium, Algeria, China, and Switzerland, this alone further reduces the circle of people who would find my life normal. We also had extended visits to other neighbouring countries where under the guise of a visit my dad would work at our embassies. I attended the British school of Brussels, where Prince Phillip would often come and visit the school, he even planted a tree at the front of the school, that died weeks later and was replaced by a similar tree planted by the same custodian who planted the commemorative plaque at the foot of the tree. My time in Algeria was probably the worst, it was to me like a prison, a gilded gage, I lived in a tight secured building with armed guards, I was chauffeured to and from school, My school was on the US Embassy grounds and it too was heavily protected. I remember one morning the chauffeur took to the sidewalk at full throttle as pedestrians scrambled to get out of the way so we could escaped an ambush.

When we moved to china it was in the late 70's just after Mao's death so it was a very different place than it is now. People still wore the blue Mao uniform and most carried the little red book. No private cars everyone rode black bicycles, no private cars. I've seen the streets filled with bicycles to the point where they weren't moving, an actual bicycle grid lock! At the time there were no international schools in Beijing that were approved by the Canadian government, so it was either home schooling of boarding school. Off to boarding school I went for grade 9.
It's at this point I first learned that normal people can be ignorant and cruel. I was sent to a Catholic boarding school in Windsor Ontario, outside Detroit Michigan. Most of the boarders were from Michigan. The first trap was when the Priest in charge (Head priest) of the boarders told me that I should tell the guys my experiences. I learned rapidly to shut up, and act and say things normally. I knew nothing about north american sports. Even the music that was popular with my class mates was foreign to me. I wasn't even current on television shows or commercials. I faked it and acted normal. I might have been a prime target for bullies if it wasn't for the fact that my dad insisted that I knew how to defend myself. I was almost expelled for hanging the captain of the wrestling team by his ankles over the third floor bannister while using the "F" word. From that point on the bullies avoided me, or it would end with one or more priests pulling me off them..... I tried to act like everyone else kept my nose clean, got some of the best grades of my academic life there. Spent most of my free time in the weight room training. On long holidays I would go home to Beijing. Keep in mind that at the time there were no international flights into China, just special charters, so for me it would mean taking the train from Hong Kong to Guangzhou then taking a plane to Biejing, on average my travel time was normally 3-4 days. One of my room mates in boarding school was a kid from HK, he nearly fainted when he opened the door to his parent's flat in the summer of 1980 to find me standing there in Hong Kong. We had fun that august....

in the spring of 81 dad moved to Geneva, I joined my parents there once my grade 10 exams were over days before my 17th birthday. Dad made sure that I understood that one had to be 18 to drive in Switzerland, and to put away my new Ontario driver's license away for a year..... That first summer I got a job working as a sales clerk at a large department store in a mall. I worked in the household cleaning and hardware departments. on my third day this older woman came in, a very elegant woman despite her plane simple attire. She came to me and I helped her pick out some laundry soap and toilet paper, a product to clean her toilets. As I was cashing her out, she enquired as to my accent, then began a long conversation that quickly changed to English. She told me that the school were I was going to attend was where her son had just graduated from and she didn't have a bad word to say about the school or the staff there. We talked for the better part of an hour, I could see the department manager watching us and his watch. When she finally left the manager rushed over, I was expecting to get reprimanded but instead he said, I've never seen her talk to any of our staff before, normally she comes in buys her toilet paper and leaves with out any conversation, you've must have impressed her. I asked who she was, and he looked at me like I were an idiot and said, "t'as par reconue Madam Hepburn?" She would came in a few times that summer just to talk with me. Honestly at the time I did not know who she was, to me she was just Audrey a nice older woman who seemed a little lonely for some conversation. I was open to listen to her stories as she was to hear my life experiences. She was just one of the many celebrities I encountered in my life, not to mention the children of celebrities and politicians who call me friend.

Speaking of my life experiences, these are just a fraction of them. I could write a book or two just drawing from my own childhood.

My point to this post is that normal people don't have experiences outside of their circle, seldom travel more than 500 kms from their place of birth. My life experiences seems fictional to them, they can't relate to me on that level. To them I must seem like I have a vivid imagination, some of the events I've lived and witnessed seem so unreal to them and their concept of the world, that they will lash out, make fun of and often not engage me in conversations. They can't relate to my past and my experiences. It's safer and easier not to share much of my past with normal people. that is why I've spent most of my adult life aspiring to be normal.

I fully understand this podcast and what it means, you don't have to be in the fastlane for the normal people to turn on you, you just need to be different. Those of you preparing your fastlane journey need to know that normal people will try to hold you back and stop your dreams.

This podcast reminds me of the Montgolfier Brothers and how their first flight ended....

People get ready you're going to need a thick skin on this road.......

Sorry if I may have ranted a bit

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Filipe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 4, 2016
Love the crab analogy. I've barely even got started doing real motions in my efforts and yet I'm already encountering vehement opposition from those closest of kin; they resist all change in routine, behaviour, and what not. They're really trying to keep us in the sheeple zone :stop:

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Here's a great 24 minute podcast by Doberman Dan:
@Andy Black,

I know Dan - great guy! Lived with Gary Halbert for 2 years, I believe, in Costa Rica and Florida. He's one of the mentors that helped me through that rough patch I was in, 5 years ago. I found him through Clayton Makepeace' old copywriting blog. :)

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
For me, the takeaway was just on the whole 'crabs in a bucket' issue, and how people close to you will not like your aims/success etc.

My extended family has a lot of internal feuds & problems, it's very split and most people don't see each other. Of the few that we do see, I have some family who I consider particularly close. I lived with them for a while in my teen years, we all have always considered each other brothers. These are people I felt would never turn on me, not even if you offered them 10mil to do so.

Well, they've turned. Not just a little, they've turned hugely. There's way too many details to go into, though I can't recall anybody treating their enemies with the hatred these people have towards me. What have I done? Nothing. I help them out as and when I can, have literally given and given and given for years to them, with very little in return. That's okay, I did it because of my love for them, nothing more.

Anyway, I don't want to go into the details there, there's too many and it's way too messy. I can deal with people like my mother, who has told me since childhood I need to be a doctor or get some other high-paid job. Even now she asks every time we talk when I'm going to go to Uni and get a degree. I tell her I'm not every time, she'd rather get into a screaming argument with me about how I need a degree than listen.

As some of you know, I have 4 kids and have been in the same relationship for over a decade. The last couple months brought surprising strain to our relationship; enough that it actually ended in early November. We've had rocky patches before, as many couples do, though this is the first time things hit such an extreme. I'm not willing to go into much detail on this either publicly, though I will say we're currently living in the same house again, and attempting to work through it. Reaching this stage where we co-exist took until a few days before Christmas.

So after listening to this podcast, I related a lot to what he said. I thought about what happened in my life to make these people change their views. Here are the answers I came to, after a LOT of thought:

In the case of family and friends I've had a horrendous experience. There's been many other smaller ones which weren't hard for me to take. The common cause with the relationships I lost? I stopped giving so much without reason, and refused to accept a slowlane mentality. The family members who fell out with me have a terrible mindset, expecting handouts and not willing to work for anything. They tried several times to distract me from what I've been trying to do this year, telling me I should stick to doing x,y,z or whatever. Always complaining, doing the "man I feel crap, come over, let's go out and get some drinks".

They didn't want to hear about learning, self-improvement, or hard work. Always looking for events, even when process is explained for them. The podcast put into perspective why they switched, why they're so mad. I guess they feel they're being left behind or something? I don't know. I have time for them if they want to be positive, just not if they want to be negative.

The relationship issues could be seen in a similar way. Outsiders stir the pot, manipulate and influence, then watch the results. Why? Because I'm not one of their happy party puppets. I like a good time too. Just not every Friday/Saturday. In fact I question people who do, about why they do? These kind of questions seem uncomfortable, and seem to have made a lot of people dislike me. That's fine too. The right kind of people seem happy to answer, the wrong type are hurt when they have to think about the answer, and respond badly.

Okay, I don't know what else to say at the moment. This topic has been affecting me very recently and still is now, so it's more than a little sore to think of and try to type this up in all honesty. Especially as I'm not comfortable revealing specifics. I also think I've rambled on a bit with this, as I'm doing it between writing articles lol.

Basically, the TL;DR is

People really will discourage you. Maybe not openly, but they'll begin to turn away from you, or even turn on you. Some of these will be the people you considered the absolute closest, most trustworthy ones in your world. Want to know what I've learned, and what I believe the podcast is trying to say?

Don't worry about it. F those people, you don't need them in your life, and it's their loss, not yours. There are good people out there too, who will encourage you and help you. I've met some of these also. Get closer to those ones, and people you admire. Change and growth can be painful. That's why most people won't go through it. Recognize that, and how you are different, then push on to the life you want. It can still sting to lose people, but if the roles were reversed, would you be behaving in such ways? It's not your fault other people are being A-holes, just leave them to it and move on.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
Oh and, totally agree on the "you're always on vacation" bit. I've not had a job for over a decade. Over the years I've heard most people I know at one point talk about how lucky I am, how they wish they could live my life etc. Literally for about 5 years I just smiled and nodded. The last few I've been more like: "If it's so nice, and so easy, go and do the same!"

People would fixate on how I didn't have to get up at x in the morning and how 'lucky' I am for that. They never bring up the times you have to grind from 8am-2am while they're at home relaxing by 5. They don't mention having every weekend off when we might have to grind 6 weeks just to take an afternoon off. New Years Eve this year I went out and partied, as did probably everybody. I went to sleep at 6am. Unlike most partiers, I woke up at 8.30 to get my head clear and make a start on the work I'd promised a client by that evening.

When people talk about how lucky I am, these are the kind of things I now point out to them. It's not luck, it's my choice and it comes with sacrifice and effort. We're all of a similar mindset on this forum, so I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Oh and, totally agree on the "you're always on vacation" bit. I've not had a job for over a decade. Over the years I've heard most people I know at one point talk about how lucky I am, how they wish they could live my life etc. Literally for about 5 years I just smiled and nodded. The last few I've been more like: "If it's so nice, and so easy, go and do the same!"

People would fixate on how I didn't have to get up at x in the morning and how 'lucky' I am for that. They never bring up the times you have to grind from 8am-2am while they're at home relaxing by 5. They don't mention having every weekend off when we might have to grind 6 weeks just to take an afternoon off. New Years Eve this year I went out and partied, as did probably everybody. I went to sleep at 6am. Unlike most partiers, I woke up at 8.30 to get my head clear and make a start on the work I'd promised a client by that evening.

When people talk about how lucky I am, these are the kind of things I now point out to them. It's not luck, it's my choice and it comes with sacrifice and effort. We're all of a similar mindset on this forum, so I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.
That's what I love about this forum, I can look at any random thing and find value in it!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Worth a bump.

As for crabs in a bucket... I've come to believe the saddest part is that there is no bucket. The crabs just think there's one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.