The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What business would you launch, If you got laid off due to C0VlD-19?

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
I fear people will skip over this suggestion so let me elaborate.

Imagine you’ve been working in accounts payable for the past 20 years.

You get laid off and start Googling for “work from home” or “make money online”. (God help you if you do as there’s many trip-wires lying in wait.)

After a lot of research you decide to create a course on how to teach Irish dancing because you’ve been giving evening classes for the last 10 years.

Or maybe you decide to dropship, “do affiliate marketing”, start a digital marketing agency, a blog, podcast, an “Amazon business” (whatever that is), or become a life coach.

Huh?

You’ve a skill that’s put food on the table and paid your mortgage for the last 20 years.

Why are you throwing all that skill and experience in the bin?

You’ll need to make sales and get customers and this may be new to you.

Newsflash... you’ll need to make sales and get customers whichever of the above options you pick.

So why not explore starting with what’s already paying your bills?

I’m taking my own medicine here. I’ve looked at other business models and have had some revenue from them. But if I lost my business this weekend then come Monday I’d do exactly what’s been bringing in the money these past few years.

These thread may be helpful:
> "Build Your High Ground" & "Grow What You Know"
> (Audio) Freedom, Motivation, & Grow What You Know
> Don't worry about selling your skill or time
> Are you *already* employed to solve problems?

@Andy Black why do I feel a sucker punch of enlightenment everytime I read your posts XD.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Not an action fake. I literally just got laid off today because of C0VlD-19.

1. I'm sorry to hear that.
2. Since this is now very real for you, do you have an answer to the question?
3. How can I/we help?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I fear people will skip over this suggestion so let me elaborate.

Imagine you’ve been working in accounts payable for the past 20 years.

You get laid off and start Googling for “work from home” or “make money online”. (God help you if you do as there’s many trip-wires lying in wait.)

After a lot of research you decide to create a course on how to teach Irish dancing because you’ve been giving evening classes for the last 10 years.

Or maybe you decide to dropship, “do affiliate marketing”, start a digital marketing agency, a blog, podcast, an “Amazon business” (whatever that is), or become a life coach.

Huh?

You’ve a skill that’s put food on the table and paid your mortgage for the last 20 years.

Why are you throwing all that skill and experience in the bin?

You’ll need to make sales and get customers and this may be new to you.

Newsflash... you’ll need to make sales and get customers whichever of the above options you pick.

So why not explore starting with what’s already paying your bills?

I’m taking my own medicine here. I’ve looked at other business models and have had some revenue from them. But if I lost my business this weekend then come Monday I’d do exactly what’s been bringing in the money these past few years.

These thread may be helpful:
> "Build Your High Ground" & "Grow What You Know"
> (Audio) Freedom, Motivation, & Grow What You Know
> Don't worry about selling your skill or time
> Are you *already* employed to solve problems?

OMG, I totaly ignored the OT title.
As my job is quite secure, I ignored, that I wouldn’t have it any more.

I m in the vehicle monitoring demanded by government.
Sure I would register my own business asap. Its not fastlane, but would be good though.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Home Services biz.

Profitable immediately

Can still run during COVID 19 freak out

Get to network with high-end individuals

Providing REAL tangable value

Get paid same day

Scale to the moon, or use to fund other biz ventures.

You should be wanting to get "laid off" or quit your job.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I am seriously thinking about getting into property and casual insurance. I might be let go in the next week or two because I work at a physicians office and he cannot do injections under Xray and that puts a big damper in his business. My wife is my connection because she works as an account manager for 2 insurance producers.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I am just wondering aloud .. If you got laid off due to the economic downturn resulting from Corona Virus (C0VlD-19) what small/solo business would you launch with $1000 or less, seeing that no one would be hiring in the current climate?

For me, I would launch a mobile app development agency, because that is what I know. Wondering what other ventures would be the default for other people.

hand sanitizer is super cheap, you could probably make it at home to

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I would come up with some type of digital product. That way I would have all the pros and benefits of an online business while avoiding all of the cons of having a physical product (relying on a manufacturer, shipping, etc.).

BrandonL

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
May 10, 2010
I have been making a killing selling freezers... those little chest freezers. I have already made $780,000 in profits in 6 weeks. They are pretty much sold out across the country. People have been buying them to store food, especially after the lockdowns started.

I have a contact at an appliance manufacturer. She has been holding stock for me for weeks. I have been buying freezers and immediately flipping them to appliance stores that are completely sold out and cannot order more because most manufacturers are backed up until May or June.

Once I sell my shipment, I turn around and buy more. I sell them to appliance stores close to the manufacturer's warehouse so they are shipped and delivered quickly.

I am about to order one last batch of freezers. If anyone wants to get in on this, let me know and I might be able to increase the order. I already have appliance stores waiting on my last batch.

The entire country is pretty much out of chest freezers for the next 3 or 4 months. Home Depot doesn't get any more until June. Lowes gets some in May. Even longer for smaller appliance stores.

In case you thought it, no I didn't price gouge the appliance stores.

Here are a few articles about this:

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/its-insane-C0VlD-19-response-leads-to-run-on-freezers/

Last edited:

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
I am seriously thinking about getting into property and casual insurance. I might be let go in the next week or two because I work at a physicians office and he cannot do injections under Xray and that puts a big damper in his business. My wife is my connection because she works as an account manager for 2 insurance producers.

Why property and casualty insurance as opposed to any other insurance?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I have been making a killing selling freezers... those little chest freezers. I have already made $780,000 in profits in 6 weeks. They are pretty much sold out across the country. People have been buying them to store food, especially after the lockdowns started.

I have a contact at an appliance manufacturer. She has been holding stock for me for weeks. I have been buying freezers and immediately flipping them to appliance stores that are completely sold out and cannot order more because most manufacturers are backed up until May or June.

Once I sell my shipment, I turn around and buy more. I sell them to appliance stores close to the manufacturer's warehouse so they are shipped and delivered quickly.

I am about to order one last batch of freezers. If anyone wants to get in on this, let me know and I might be able to increase the order. I already have appliance stores waiting on my last batch.

The entire country is pretty much out of chest freezers for the next 3 or 4 months. Home Depot doesn't get any more until June. Lowes gets some in May. Even longer for smaller appliance stores.

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/its-insane-C0VlD-19-response-leads-to-run-on-freezers/

Awesome hustle, little bit jealous.

RyanLPainter

Founder and Principal - Tuzo Strategies
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 21, 2020
Victoria BC
I am just wondering aloud .. If you got laid off due to the economic downturn resulting from Corona Virus (C0VlD-19) what small/solo business would you launch with $1000 or less, seeing that no one would be hiring in the current climate?

For me, I would launch a mobile app development agency, because that is what I know. Wondering what other ventures would be the default for other people.
Funny thing is, I launched my biz in January, and started getting a few clients just as C0VlD-19 hit. Now things have dried up, but I'm doing something that fulfills me.

I guess to say, I'm doing it.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

This is excellent. Hav you been doing this before C0VlD-19 and just expanded? Are you planning on continuing doing this after C0VlD-19?

How did you get started?

Thanks!

BrandonL

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
May 10, 2010
This is excellent. Hav you been doing this before C0VlD-19 and just expanded? Are you planning on continuing doing this after C0VlD-19?

How did you get started?

Thanks!

Nope, I had never sold freezers a day in my life lol.

No I don't plan to continue after C0VlD-19.

I actually posted my story in it's own thread where I share some additional insight: Coronavirus made me $780,000 in profit in 6 weeks

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
Why property and casualty insurance as opposed to any other insurance?
The market here is flooded with life, home&auto (think State Farm), and health insurance. There are not a lot of PNC insurance agents in my location and what better insurance to get into right now. I see an opportunity to become trained on PNC by a licensed insurance agent so I am like why not?

QuantumLeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 25, 2018
The local weight watchers franchise. I mean turning fat to $ it dosen't get much better Al though I my self has lost weight and continues to do so under the lock down. I still know that a lot of people are getting fatter, and I also know the fat turds has $ to burn. I am sorry if its clear how much I despise fat people, It's just that every single fat person I've ever met has been a total Shit bag. And no it is just not the bullying that is to blame, but their personality.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I just saw an ad on facebook for deep cleaning, bunch of dudes in hazmat suits running around on video spraying stuff down....

lol

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I'd probably start a shrimp shack in the west indies.
I was in the Bahamas in late '18. I was not impressed with the food/drink offerings on the beach catering to tourists. The fried fish was terrible. I had a drink called a Bitch Slap. 151, rum and some other liquor and juice. It was so heavy on the alcohol, I couldn't finish it. My sister-in-law requested what I didn't finish; I suggested she sip it. She didn't listen and proceeded to guzzle it down. It took her three days to recover.

If you can provide quality grub and booze in these locales you'd clean up.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If I was an office worker and got laid off then I’d try to provide the exact same services to other businesses, but from home.

None of the ladies in my wife's office would ever THINK about doing something like this. Although there are some very high paying jobs, the director has said he doesn't think anyone will be laid off, so that's a good thing for them. I know lots of people with office jobs that just have no desire to go out on their own. Come 5 o'clock they want to be done and collect their $35 an hour on the way out the door.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I was in the Bahamas in late '18. I was not impressed with the food/drink offerings on the beach catering to tourists. The fried fish was terrible. I had a drink called a Bitch Slap. 151, rum and some other liquor and juice. It was so heavy on the alcohol, I couldn't finish it. My sister-in-law requested what I didn't finish; I suggested she sip it. She didn't listen and proceeded to guzzle it down. It took her three days to recover.

If you can provide quality grub and booze in these locales you'd clean up.

There was a moment in my life. Probably when I reached about 200k net worth when I realized that, IF I WANTED TO, I could just quit everything and open up a shrimp shack and live out my days with a fishing pole in the water. It has kind of been a joke, but kind of not. When rough times hit we laugh and talk about it. It was always strangely freeing.

Today, it is less of a joke than ever before, but not to quit. I just want one now. Among everything else I do, I need to open a shrimp shack in the West Indies. One day I’m actually doing this.

We will serve one entree. Shrimp. We will serve it 5 ways. Coconut, fried, grilled, blackened and cocktail. Drinks will be stiff, but drinkable. Cigars will be available. Open air. Thatched roof. Chill music. No Bacardi 151. It isn’t a spring break place.

Think Bob Dylan more than Bob Marley.

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 26, 2015
There was a moment in my life. Probably when I reached about 200k net worth when I realized that, IF I WANTED TO, I could just quit everything and open up a shrimp shack and live out my days with a fishing pole in the water. It has kind of been a joke, but kind of not. When rough times hit we laugh and talk about it.

Today, it is less of a joke than ever before, but not to quit. I just want one now. Among everything else I do, I need to open a shrimp shack in the West Indies. One day I’m actually doing this.

We will serve one entree. Shrimp. We will serve it 5 ways. Coconut, fried, grilled, blackened and cocktail. Drinks will be stiff, but drinkable. Cigars will be available. Open air. Thatched roof. Chill music. No Bacardi 151. It isn’t a spring break place.

At first I thought it was a reference to Forest Gump :p.

If you feel that passionate about it, why not start now? You'll have this customer at least. :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I know lots of people with office jobs that just have no desire to go out on their own. Come 5 o'clock they want to be done and collect their $35 an hour on the way out the door.
Yeah, working for themselves doesn’t even cross most minds.

For the few that contemplate it many will dismiss it because “it’s not something I can do”.

Others are stuck fast by the script which has them believe they need to take a course before they can work for themselves (these are the ones I feel the most sorry for and want to help).

Many will fall prey to the vultures lying in wait.

I picture thousands of turtles hatching on the beach and trying to make it to the sea.

I fear those who make it to this forum are the few lucky ones.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
(please everybody pardon my approximative English)

How about start the business that you were going to start even if you weren’t laid off. Who wants to start one that dies after the virus is gone?

I was thinking that there was maybe some "one-shot", short terms projects who was worth it, because now is a period of big crisis, so big problems to solve. I think of @BrandonL who have made a perfect example with his freezers (wtf ?)

Anyway the administration is closed, here in Europe, so it is very difficult to even "open a business" during the quarantine. That make me consider the way our regulation system should be reconsidered, in an optimisation goal, because there is a lot of people (like those on this forum) who is ready to come up with fast and effective solution, but they are hand-tided ! :(

Yeah, working for themselves doesn’t even cross most minds.

For the few that contemplate it many will dismiss it because “it’s not something I can do”.

Others are stuck fast by the script which has them believe they need to take a course before they can work for themselves (these are the ones I feel the most sorry for and want to help).

Many will fall prey to the vultures lying in wait.

It’s picture thousands of turtles hatching on the beach and trying to make it to the sea.

I fear those who make it to this forum are the few lucky ones.

I was one of those, and this forum litteraly open my eyes so you can't figure how much you're right...

Last edited:

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
@Kak,

That's what I'm talking about.:)

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Something that sells hope, fake or not.

People will be looking for hope anywhere they can find after this. So story telling is paramount if anyone wants to make money out of this crisis selling hope. Any kind of hope really.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.