The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen by Donald Miller

Shoutout to @Readerly for the book rec on my progress thread. Pretty effective in giving direction to a customer-focused copy. I was returning back to being bogged down by the direct response classics principles lol.

I applied the stuff almost immediately on a prospect's website. It'll look a lot more better in no time!

It seems Miller has free stuff on his site like templates and all, but only if you put in your email for possible invites for upcoming courses. If you chose to throw in some dollars for the courses, I think it shouldn't be a bad investment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
What do you think of Man's Search for Meaning? And what made you pick it up?

I’ve had it recommended a couple of times so finally gave it a try.

I thought it was ok. Nothing groundbreaking, however good for anybody with a “poor me” mindset. It’s a quick read so worth being on your list.

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
An oldie.
You can if you think you can by Norman Vincent Peale.
I’m in three chapters.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Thick Face, Black Heart by Chin Ning Chu

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
"A Framework For Understanding Poverty" A Cognitive Approach.
Ruby K. Payne, Phd.

All I can say is WOW. This book is so insightful regarding the hidden rules between poverty, middle class and wealth classes. This book is geared mainly to educators, service providers, etc. but as an employer, I gained tremendous insight in the differences between the different 'castes' in our society. One key takeaway was that the maternal grandfather's occupation is a key predictor in intergenerational poverty.
(Hint: It is because the mother is so instrumental in the early nurturing of the child, and where do you think her access to knowledge and experiences came from?)

It's understanding oftentimes the 'why' we think in different classes, be it poverty, middle class or wealthy.

Highly recommended as to understanding self sabotage patterns and what it takes to break free of generational classes....

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
@million$$$smile that sounds fascinating. The maternal grandfather makes a lot of sense too, and gives people somewhere to look for the root of mindset issues.

I'm listening to "This is Marketing" by Seth Godin. Short book, even if the narration is a little slow. I like the spirit of it, as I dislike "pump and dump" products, fake urgency, and high pressure sales.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
"I'm Ok, You're Ok" and "Games People Play."

It shows how people run through life reliving a script installed by some authority or other when they were in a childish state. Most actions serve to regain a feeling of "Ok." Each of these interactions is a transaction. Look up transactional analysis to learn more.

You can use this in sales and many other things to make people's lives easier.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Ruby K. Payne, Phd.

All I can say is WOW. This book is so insightful regarding the hidden rules between poverty, middle class and wealth classes. This book is geared mainly to educators, service providers, etc. but as an employer, I gained tremendous insight in the differences between the different 'castes' in our society. One key takeaway was that the maternal grandfather's occupation is a key predictor in intergenerational poverty.
(Hint: It is because the mother is so instrumental in the early nurturing of the child, and where do you think her access to knowledge and experiences came from?)

It's understanding oftentimes the 'why' we think in different classes, be it poverty, middle class or wealthy.

Highly recommended as to understanding self sabotage patterns and what it takes to break free of generational classes....
Yes, read it many years ago. Now, as an educator, I face it everyday. The differences between how people think and what causes that difference is fascinating to me. It is challenging to see and understand how the other person perceives and responds to the same events.

Thanks for reminding me about this book.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Ruby K. Payne, Phd.

Just purchased for Kindle. I'll read it next. Currently reading travis mcgee.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
It is challenging to see and understand how the other person perceives and responds to the same events.

Yes, lately I have been less interested in the 'How to' and incessantly interested in the 'why'. It seems many of us are preoccupied with knowing the exact steps and yet we understand very little about ourselves and our preconceived ideas. Even with all the knowledge that surrounds us to create and develop, many of us don't really have an understanding on what really has held us back even with all the tools at our disposal.
Also, I personally seem to gain more cognitive knowledge from autobiographies of successful individuals than any step by step plan of action from the latest get rich pump and dump bestseller.

I seem to retain the concepts of overcoming and achieving success much better through stories.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Currently reading travis mcgee.

Which 'un? I just read an omnibus edition with the first three books -- Deep Blue Good-by, Nightmare in Pink, and A Purple Place for Dying.

Damn but these are some fun books. I've got the next omnibus with 4-6 on deck.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Which 'un? I just read an omnibus edition with the first three books -- Deep Blue Good-by, Nightmare in Pink, and A Purple Place for Dying.

Damn but these are some fun books. I've got the next omnibus with 4-6 on deck.

I grew up reading them. My parents had an assortment of books. From Heinlein, Hemingway, Bellow, Joyce, Beckett, Dostoyevsky, Camus, etc... Some I read and forgotten. I remember John D MacDonald writing beautiful prose, paragraphs. So, I decided to go back and reread them. For good purpose, mind you.

I have real all 21 books of Travis Mcgee. Favorite book is A Purple Place for Dying & The Long Lavender Look. Usually, 1/2 of the book is hands down the best prose, by any 20th century author. The latter pages, are a bit meh. Chase scenes, save the girl from the evil womanizer, she is able to love again, physically.

My library has them. I am able to rent them out for my kindle.

Sam Carpenter

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 1, 2019
Finished You Need A Budget. Also finished Science of Self-learning....I don’t recommend it. A couple of good nuggets but a lot of words with no purpose. Currently about a third of the way through Miracle Morning for Entrepreneurs.

Chandler Ruffini

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 28, 2019
Started UNSCRIPTED and excited as ever after finishing THE MILLIONAIRE FASTLANE !! "THE ONE THING" is next on my list, anyone read it? My girlfriend recommended it to me and said some stuff that really brought back the idea of finding something and sticking to it because I too easily get stuck on many different ideas even after the MILLIONAIRE FASTLANE , it's on the top of my list of somethings I need to work on!

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Just finished Ray Dalio - Principles F*ck me that is a brilliant book I've never taken so many notes and underlines on one book.

Now Reading Titan which is about John D Rockefeller

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
The Silk Roads: A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
I want to get my hands on a copy of Eugene Schwartz’s breakthrough advertising, but it’s ridiculously expensive. eBay has a copy for $414. Hard to justify.
You can get it for $125 here
I ordered mine there a few months ago.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Someone mentioned Principles by Ray Dalio, it's simply one of the best book I've read.

Currently I'm reading The Power of Full Engagement, and This is Marketing by Seth Godin.

Varun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 9, 2018
What Intelligence Tests Miss... this is a book about how even the most intelligent people make stupid decisions due to irrationality. The author calls it dysrationalia. I'm sure that Fastlaners are aware that IQ is no guarantee against stupidity!

I want to be able to make solid decisions most of the time by guarding against biases. I'm aware that no one makes perfect decisions, but careless and irrational decision-making is really bad, according to me. I really like Warren Buffett's approach - he said he had a list of biases that he cross-checks every time he is about to make a decision.

Does this sound right, or will I be wasting my time?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.