The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
My Recent Recommendation
Atlas Shrugged

Book has some great parts no doubt, but way way way too long and she was in desperate need of a good editor.

I actually think her non-fiction is better and better explains Objectivism and really what points she is trying to get across in her books.

For this audience, I would recommend "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" from Ayn Rand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Book has some great parts no doubt, but way way way too long and she was in desperate need of a good editor.

I actually think her non-fiction is better and better explains Objectivism and really what points she is trying to get across in her books.

For this audience, I would recommend "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" from Ayn Rand.

It could definitely stand a good cutting or two.

I’ll give your recommendation a look! I wasn’t sure if her nonfiction would be as interesting because while I found the story of Hank Rearden inspiring, I found that John Galt’s 60 page radio speech tended to drag. And thought that her nonfiction would be similar to that speech.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
It could definitely stand a good cutting or two.

I’ll give your recommendation a look! I wasn’t sure if her nonfiction would be as interesting because while I found the story of Hank Rearden inspiring, I found that John Galt’s 60 page radio speech tended to drag. And thought that her nonfiction would be similar to that speech.

No it's more succinct and to the point than browbeating you.

Though I did love the train wreck part, Francisco d'Anconia, and Ragnar Danneskjöld characters and a few other things in it.

While I don't consider myself an Objectivist I do follow their movement quite a bit, and some things are on point in her philosophy. One thing for sure I've come to realize how much philosophy influences individuals and society.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia

I believe I've read everything she ever had published, the Virtue of Selfishness was a good short read.
That was when I was in my 20's, long ago. Not to be confused with The Art of Selfishness by David Seabury.

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Any recommendations on the online business world ?

They are marketers. They sell to upsell and done.

Frank Kern did a dog business. Said he sold his business but only did digital products.
I do not claim to disclaim...but marketing is, simply put, exposure.

You wont get a better wanting of same dream community than here.

NETWORK

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
Hi Dustin,
I'm on his Miracle Morning for Entrepreneurs now! :)

How is Miracle Morning for Entrepreneurs compared to the original book? If I'm going to read one book in the series, which one should it be? Miracle Morning Millionaires has good reviews too.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
"The Introvert Entrepreneur: Amplify Your Strengths and Create Success on Your Own Terms".

Seems promising.

Magica

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 28, 2018
I've been reading some language-related books to improve my skills with words, and I'm adding Alexandra Casavant to my list. Her book The Voiceless Voice is a unique teacher about the power of words even when she uses fantasy setting. I'm sure it will make for an interesting read.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

8721240.jpg

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.

The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.

Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.

Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .

Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,

By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

35138858.jpg

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman

Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant

Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager

Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.
What are you reading?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers. Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control. He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Ray Richardson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 3, 2018
People's Republic of NJ
$100 startup

It was okay. It was more of the "follow your passion" message. Sure these people quit their day jobs, but doing what i love just to get by is not part of what im trying to build. However these people got something off the ground putting them way ahead of me.

51MKq40o71L._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.