The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Picking Winners by Andrew Beyer

So funny....I raced over to Amazon to put this book in my wishlist because it sounded like a good book about how to pick people who are winners to work in your business or be your friends, until I realized....:hilarious:.....the winners it was referring to couldn't exactly be my new friends. lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
So funny....I raced over to Amazon to put this book in my wishlist because it sounded like a good book about how to pick people who are winners to work in your business or be your friends, until I realized....:hilarious:.....the winners it was referring to couldn't exactly be my new friends. lol
Much of the same stuff applies in all three situations.

Don't back bad horses
Be wary of horses with serious "issues" unless you can accurately determine the risk is worth it
Don't bet your entire bank on any one horse, no matter how wonderful it seems at first
and so on

Sub in Horses/Friends/Employees as appropriate

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So I am getting to be a more difficult to please consumer of business books. The last book I bought from a famous business author, I made it through three chapters before I literally threw it in the garbage. Rehashed nonsense.

I found myself at a local library today, so I thought while I was there I would peruse the business books. I picked up a book called The One Minute Millionaire by Mark Hansen (Chicken Soup for the Soul) and Robert Allen (famous for real estate coaching). I know, I know... I should have known better. However, I thought that the author of Chicken Soup for the Soul might have had something to say.

Come to find out he said it all in his original manifesto. I just went to Amazon to check out the reviews on this book, and it is clinging by a thread to a 4**** average. One of the reviews used a perfect word to describe it : superfluous. There's simply no point in yet another book rehashing a combination of slow lane advice from millionaires who don't have a repeatable model, but rehash warmed over colloquialisms and tired mantra.

The authors of the book are successful in their arenas. However, this is not a story about how to emulate their thought process, nor is it educational on how to think differently to get different results. It does contain a ton of platitudes, unreplicatable ideas, and weird off subject pointers that will lead you to pull your slow lane hair out.

I'll save you the $23.00/US they want for the book. In summary, create an original work of art and sell a million of them. Boom. Millionaire. Now be philinthropic with it and share the wealth with others.

Have all the classics already been written? Is there nobody coming along that can inspire people any more? I was looking to "continue" my education, and was left with an irrecoverable investment of an hour or two that I can never recover.

In fairness, this was published before the Millionaire Fast Lane came along. Maybe they just didn't know any better. In it's day, though, this book was a NYT best seller.

elbambino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 26, 2015
San Diego, California
I am currently reading the investors business daily: military and political leaders and success.

Its a great weekend read for those of you that would like a quick insight on how Leaders lead. There's never one way to tackle an issue but one thing is certain, it's been done before one way or another! Check it out!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9

elbambino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 26, 2015
San Diego, California
Even though I'm not currently reading this book at the moment, I tend to keep it real close. Its called 48 Laws of Power by Robert Green.

I can't even begin to tell you all how it has helped me understand certain aspects about myself. The great thing about this book is that you can flip flop to whichever chapter (power) that suits you ;)

It's seems like an intimidating book at first but once you get the hang of it, you can potentially be a force to be reckoned with! Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 7

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
Psychocybernetics.

It's a book about self image and belief as far as I can tell.

I can read 100's of business books but if I don't believe I can become a multi-millionaire, what's the point? For that one reason, I would think this is a must read for every aspiring entrepreneur.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
"The Obstacle is The Way" - Ryan Holiday.

Great, great book on Stoicism (think modern Marcus Aurelius w/ "Meditations"). Has many useful gems besides being the best "Intro to Stoicism/Stoicism for dummies" guide. Also short chapters, straight to the point.

Quote with my notes in black:
Stoic is someone who “transforms fear into prudence {the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason}, pain into transformation {self-improvement}, mistakes into initiation {failure = learning experiences} and desire into undertaking {taking action}.

Elon Musk currently embodies Stoicism in entrepreneurship: pessimistic about chances his companies were going to succeed but doing them anyway (gave them only a ~50% probable chance of success - detachment from the outcome)

"just get it done" attitude completely separated from motivation:

perseverance and never giving up:

Last edited:

Lawrence Barse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Mar 8, 2014
Currently I'm reading
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

Very interesting, the more I read the more I'm getting curious about Human Psychology!

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Psychocybernetics.

It's a book about self image and belief as far as I can tell.

I can read 100's of business books but if I don't believe I can become a multi-millionaire, what's the point? For that one reason, I would think this is a must read for every aspiring entrepreneur.
That's actually what I'm reading right now. I bight "The New Psycho Cybernetics" and pre ordered the original which is expanded upon.

If you have the link to the original original for kindle let me know please [emoji3]

If—

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jun 11, 2014
GA
Have all the classics already been written? Is there nobody coming along that can inspire people any more? I was looking to "continue" my education, and was left with an irrecoverable investment of an hour or two that I can never recover.

I've felt the same at times. I was really excited by the idea of business and entrepreneurship at an early age and began reading anything I could get my hands on. Unfortunately most of it was garbage that was just marketed really well. At least you get better at spotting the good books once you've read a few of the bad ones.

Some good books I've read recently (the ones with good insights or that I felt pushed my mindset in the right direction):

The One Thing
Zero to One
Made in America
Ready, Fire, Aim
The Everything Store
The Creator's Code
The Reluctant Entrepreneur
Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits
Growth Hacker Marketing

I'll be taking a second pass at every one of the above books.

I'm reading Poor Charlie's Almanac now. Great book by an impressive man.

I've made it a habit now to only read books by, about, or recommended by top performers in any field. That seems to have a much higher success rate for me.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Can anyone please recommend a great book that's not on Kindle, but on Audible?

I'm answering my own question here because I just found one that fits the description.

UnMarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging. by Scott Stratten

EDIT:

:(.....

Why does Amazon do that? It's double listed. One page you can't buy it on Kindle and the other you can. [HASHTAG]#fail[/HASHTAG]

http://www.amazon.com/UnMarketing-Stop-Marketing-Start-Engaging-ebook/dp/B0041D8VDA/

http://www.amazon.com/UnMarketing-Stop-Marketing-Start-Engaging-ebook/dp/B00734U20Y/

Last edited:

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite, so in the process of stocking up my virtual library... I read a couple fiction books, but now I'm reading Breakthrough Advertising, almost done, then I'll read Cashvertising, and Magical Words that sell. I want to improve my skills as a copy-writer so I'm interested in books about advertising, persuasion, and everything else related to marketing.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Just finished last month "AS WE SPEAK HOW TO MAKE YOUR POINT AND HAVE IT STICK " by Peter Meyers and Shann Nix , Presently, on Chapter 8 of "EPIDEMIC OF CHOICE A DEA STORY by Don Nelson, not my personal style but an real life crime story and I am connected with the author on face book he used to be an MARINE.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I'm with you @Vigilante... Mind you that recently I have stupidly been following one specific author's line of books. I read "Abundance", which I thought was great, then followed it up with "Bold" which was decent but more geared to crowd funding and using competition to drive 10x gains in industry in the end than it was about much else. Then I stupidly started on "Exponential Organizations". I'm about 2 hours into the audio book and I'm ready to skip the rest. All rehashed crap from the first 2 books. I get that the target audience may not have necessarily read the other books, but my view is that if you don't have enough 'meat' to write a book in the first place, then don't write the %$@[HASHTAG]#ing[/HASHTAG] book!

I need some fresh suggestions on good books. I've read pretty much everything that seems to be worth reading in this thread. Anyone? Even if it's off-the-wall, so long as it's worth the read I'll give it a go.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
http://www.paulgraham.com/articles.html

I'm with you @Vigilante... Mind you that recently I have stupidly been following one specific author's line of books. I read "Abundance", which I thought was great, then followed it up with "Bold" which was decent but more geared to crowd funding and using competition to drive 10x gains in industry in the end than it was about much else. Then I stupidly started on "Exponential Organizations". I'm about 2 hours into the audio book and I'm ready to skip the rest. All rehashed crap from the first 2 books. I get that the target audience may not have necessarily read the other books, but my view is that if you don't have enough 'meat' to write a book in the first place, then don't write the %$@[HASHTAG]#ing[/HASHTAG] book!

I need some fresh suggestions on good books. I've read pretty much everything that seems to be worth reading in this thread. Anyone? Even if it's off-the-wall, so long as it's worth the read I'll give it a go.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
YOU ARE A BADASS by Jen Sincero. Just finished the audio version. Good motivational book.
Talks about going from a mediocre existence to an awesome life. A little along the lines of the Secret. Encourages you to think outside the box. It's what I would call soul-opening, for lack of a better phrase :)

P.S. It's clear that her target audience was women, but there are some great insights for men as well.

Last edited:

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Even though I'm not currently reading this book at the moment, I tend to keep it real close. Its called 48 Laws of Power by Robert Green.

I can't even begin to tell you all how it has helped me understand certain aspects about myself. The great thing about this book is that you can flip flop to whichever chapter (power) that suits you ;)

It's seems like an intimidating book at first but once you get the hang of it, you can potentially be a force to be reckoned with! Cheers!
That book is crap. It's Robert Greene's way into the market - guess what poor people think!? Attacking others will produce better results. Lolz

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Just got these two. Loved The Alchemist and finished it in a day and am now on to Outliers. The Alchemist really makes me respect the journey and the process.

CGlxsZGUgAAoDFy_zpszl00vaea.jpg

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
Just finished Reading Miracle Morning Hal Elrod

Currently Reading 4 Hour Work Week , Tim Ferris

Think And Grow , Rich Napoleon Hill on its way
Finished the first two, currently reading Think and Grow Rich...interesting

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Recently Finished: Dale Carnegies: How to Win Friends and Influence People ( MUST READ!)

Quiet - Susan Cain, before bed.

Thou Shall Prosper - Paul Lapin - E- Book on phone

Zero to One - Peter Thiel - Started today,

No Excuses , The Power of Self-Discipline- Brian Tracy (Still have to finish due to the exercises)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.