The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
I just finished "The 4-Hour "Work Week" by Tim Ferriss and the next one on my list is "Choose Yourself" by James Altucher. :thumbsup:

S

stranger

5 books on English.
1. Walk Like a Giant, Sell Like a Madman
2. Pictorial Guide To Christmas Ornaments & Collectibles, Identification and Values.
3. Sea Wolf.
4. The Royal Navy 1793-1815.
5. Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
And 2 ones on Russian.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
Hide a Dagger Behind a Smile: Use the 36 Ancient Chinese Strategies to Seize the Competitive Edge.

Great book so far!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
The Way of the Fight by George's St. Pierre - amazing read. Not a traditional book about fighter. It's a guy who became on of the greatest ever at what he does, sharing his knowledge and analysing himself. Unlike most successful folks who don't know why they really succeed GSP is very very analytical and is a trident of philosophy, life, success. It's a self-improvement story with philosophical elements.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Well my reading list changes weekly when I finish one or come across a new one but currently.

1) just finished The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall
2) 21 Success Secrets of Self Made Millionaires by Brian Tracy
3) The Success Code by Brian Tracy and other authors
4)How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie

Among other books I've finished recently that I would highly recommend.

1) The Best Damn Sales Book Ever by Warren Greshes
2) Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone
3) Thinking for a Change by John Maxwell
4) Great by Choice by Jim Collins

A lot of success based books will repeat the same principles over and over, but each author states them differently so you'll discover something new each time!

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Negotiate to close by Gary Karrass

and

Three simple steps by Trevor Blake

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
What is in your opinion the best Sales book?

sigurdur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 26, 2012
Iceland
I'm currently reading Pitch Anything .. and man is that a good book .. I never thought about frames [of mind] that way, but it's put in such a good context in this book, AND it teaches you how to bring sales (or any other) situations in your favor.
I listened to Anti-Fragile the other day .. blew my mind. Highly recommended.

Not any one sales book is the best .. there are a lot of good ones and I suggest reading all the top books you can find to train your mind .. (remember to put it in practice).
Here are a couple I recommend:
Ca$hvertising, To Sell is Human, Pitch Anything, Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
I will most likely finish it this following week. The next book will probably be Creating Affluence by Deepak Chopra

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
Eleven Rings, The Soul of Success by Phil Jackson and Ham on Rye by Bukowski.

So far both are very good.

Jazzcat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex

Selling is basically behavioral psychology and business math following a simple progression of they have to know you, to like you, to listen to you, to trust you, to buy you. I recommend the continuous study of behavioral psychology including the aforementioned "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert Cialdini. From there I recommend some basics from Brian Tracy's "The Psychology of Selling" audiobook course and "You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar" by David Sandler. "Spin Selling" by Neil Rackham is a great foundation for more complex sales. I just recently completed "The Challenger Sale" by Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson. It's a new school sales book with a fresh approach.

I am currently reading "Disciplined Entrepreneurship" by Bill Aulet and plan to recommend it to my nephew who is starting his first venture. I find it a bit more accessible than the brilliant but academic "Four Steps To The Epiphany" by Steven Blank.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
"Spin Selling" by Neil Rackham is a great foundation for more complex sales.

I also recommend this book.

Most of the top salespeople I've known use many of the techniques in this book (whether they've read it or not).

Just keep in mind that selling isn't just about having the right words and phrases. It has an enormous amount to do with your own personal talents and abilities and attitudes.

If you are a shy, introverted person who has spent his life avoiding speaking with strangers, you have a hell of a journey ahead of you to get good at sales. It would be like trying to climb Everest when you've never even gone on a short hike before. No amount of special gear, tips, books or tricks will get you up that mountain. Only practice and perseverance and training will help. When you are finally "fit" enough to take on the task, then the tips and tricks take on a power they never had before because you are in a position to put them into practice.

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
Currently i reading:

1 - Lifehacked: how one family from the slums made millions selling apps
2 - Choose Yourself
3 - Cashvertising
4 - I hope they serve beer in hell
5- 4 hour body

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
If you are a shy, introverted person who has spent his life avoiding speaking with strangers, you have a hell of a journey ahead of you to get good at sales. It would be like trying to climb Everest when you've never even gone on a short hike before.

Lol I'm F*cked :bgh:

G

GuestUser8117

Currently i reading:

1 - Lifehacked: how one family from the slums made millions selling apps
2 - Choose Yourself
3 - Cashvertising
4 - I hope they serve beer in hell
5- 4 hour body

Nice. I'm reading 4 hour body and waiting for choose yourself.

OzzieRob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 3, 2013
Perth, Australia
The Oligarchs - Wealth & Power in the New Russia (Warning: Very thick book on a bunch of Russian guys who individually became billionaires practically overnight in different businesses at the same time !

As i See it - J Paul Getty (One of the wealthiest Americans who ever lived. Worked hard till the end of his days) Good diary insights into his lifestyle and his thoughts on the future of the US economy. He built a museum of his own to hold all his paintings. 1.3m visitors a year !

0-260+ properties in 7 years - Steve McKnight (Great strategy for real estate fixers and flippers or Buy and Hold)

The Rise & Fall of Alan Bond (Yup - Billionaire who took the Americas Cup back home to Oz) Note: Be warned as this is mind blowing stuff for Entrepreneurs. Paid $49 million for a Van Gogh painting with no money down of his own. This was the 1st chapter. It gets much worse...

Rob

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Overachievement: The New Model For Exceptional Performance by John Eliot

Overachievement654321.jpg

I'm currently reading Overachievement: The New Model For Exceptional Performance by John Eliot
It's an very special and very rare book on exceptional performance, which is based on science and research of his own (neurology I think...) and not typical Tony Robbins, Briantracy 21 steps to this or that etc.

I have only read a little bit of it, but I have browsed through the book but I understand i general his point.
He goes against all conventional wisdom, typical self-help advice given out there by many gurus

He claims that "The Myths Of High Performance": are advice such as

1. Use Your Head Wrong Using your head is stupid
2. Relax Wrong The Best embrace stress - and get juiced
3. Know Your Limits Wrong There are no limits
4. Set Goals Wrong Setting goals is for couch potatoes
5. Work Hard Wrong Hard Work is overrated
6. Don't Put All Your Eggs in One Bask Wrong All those eggs belong in one basket
7. Don't Be Overconfident Wrong Arrogant S.O.B-s run the world
8. Be a Team Player Wrong Being a team plater may get you a gold star on your annual review, but it won't get you into the corner office.
9. Learn From Your Mistakes Wrong Legends never say they're sorry.
10. Minimize Your Risks Wrong Risk-reward analysis is for wimps

The goal of this book is to change the readers mind from average thinker to an exceptional thinker like all the elite people like Donald Trump, Tiger Woods, Ted Turner, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Michael Jordan and you name it.

Why
- Big dreams are necessary
- Failure is a good thing
- you can never have too much confidence
- Stop thinking, start doing
- Training mindset vs Trusting mindset

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
finished the millionaire next door.. hated it, seriously it's crap IMO.

currently reading founders at work and lovin' it. really good stuff in there.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
View attachment 5848

I'm currently reading Overachievement: The New Model For Exceptional Performance by John Eliot
It's an very special and very rare book on exceptional performance, which is based on science and research of his own (neurology I think...) and not typical Tony Robbins, Briantracy 21 steps to this or that etc.

I have only read a little bit of it, but I have browsed through the book but I understand i general his point.
He goes against all conventional wisdom, typical self-help advice given out there by many gurus

I've read this a couple times. Great stuff.

It's heavy (HEAVY!) on psychological theory, so liking that geekyness helps.

A good book for peak performance folks.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I wonder if there are any novels/fictional books about entrepreneurship?

I am getting a bit tired of the motivational type of books about entrepreneurship. Who owns the ice house, comes close. But still not really what I am looking for.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

I am getting a bit tired of the motivational type of books about entrepreneurship. Who owns the ice house, comes close. But still not really what I am looking for.

Did you read Richard Branson's first two biography books? Awesome reads with adventures and entrepreneurship. Not usual biz books.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Did you read Richard Branson's first two biography books? Awesome reads with adventures and entrepreneurship. Not usual biz books.

Yes I did. And I hear you, great books. What I mean is books like "liars poker". Real novels, with fictional characters. Where the book leaves you behind with a strong message and/or feeling.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Yes I did. And I hear you, great books. What I mean is books like "liars poker". Real novels, with fictional characters. Where the book leaves you behind with a strong message and/or feeling.

Not much of a help for more haha

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ

The Big Short by Michael Lewis was a great read. It's not fiction but almost may well be.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Currently reading...

The Republic of Tea - The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of the Founders.
The Words That Sell Brands, Grip Fans & Sometimes Change History

Also, ordered...

The Barefoot Spirit: How Hardship, Hustle, and Heart Built America's #1 Wine Brand

as recommending by @Mrs. BRKb

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!