The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

VAtrepreneur757

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 3, 2011
I'm almost done with 32 ways to be a champion in business by Earvin "Magic" Johnson. Next order will be Dr. Farrah Gray's "The Truth Shall Make You Rich: The New Road Map to Radical Prosperity".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mano

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 30, 2011
Pondicherry, India
Fastlane Millionaire, second read! I think, after digesting DJ's FM contents, I need not read any more. Taking Action is the only thing left.

Process... process.. process...

Thank you, DJ!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Into the plex by someone. New book that i saw on the nook, it seemed to go beyond how google start and more into how their process's work and how the manage and facilitate their projects. Will let you all know how it works out.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Become a Better You by Joel Osteen. Inspirational pick me up whether you are religious or not.

Double M

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 2, 2011
Boston and New York City
does anyone have any insight into the book "the six figure second income" by David Lindahi and Jonathan Rozek? Amazon seems to be recommending it to me after purchasing MJ's book and it looks like it has some good reviews so far. If anyone is reading or has read this let me know, I want to make sure its worth reading before dropping the 11 bucks. Thanks!!

Drew

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2011
Philadelphia
The Millionaire Fastlane by you know who (just got it this past week), Hitch 22 by Christopher Hitchens and Beating The Street by Peter Lynch. Just saw the date, this seems to be an old thread. I didn't read The Intelligent Investor but I listened to the audio book which I found on youtube in a part by part series.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Anyone have any E-Business related books that they recommend? I've read both of Scott Fox's books and Chia's How I Made My First Million...

I can't really find a lot of internet money related books though. Let me know!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Just finished Who Owns the Ice House- good entrepreneur fundamentals book

Rereading Secrets of the Millionaire Mind for a tune up.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Just finished Who Owns the Ice House- good entrepreneur fundamentals book

Rereading Secrets of the Millionaire Mind for a tune up.

Do you recommend both of these books? I'm on a reading streak and I'm running out of good books! lol

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Do you recommend both of these books? I'm on a reading streak and I'm running out of good books! lol

Ice House is a feel good fundamentals book. It is not a strategy book.

Millionaire Mind is a philosophy/mindset book.

I like both of them for different reasons and for different stages in my life. I think I am going to ask my teen to read Ice House.

Oh yeah, one other thing about Ice House. It was set near Greenville, Mississippi in the 50's and 60's. I was born in Jackson, just down the street, during that time. Special ties for me.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Damn this thread is 17 pages, people need to spend less time reading (with the exception of MJ's book of course) and more time doing.

Regardless of how productive you are, everyone has some downtime. It's good to spend that downtime learning, otherwise you might spend a whole lot of time DOING nothing.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Damn this thread is 17 pages, people need to spend less time reading (with the exception of MJ's book of course) and more time doing.

Perhaps I have already been doing plenty of "doing" and my past "doing" affords me time for leisure. One size does not fit all.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I agree that reading can be good during your downtime - although I usually read non business related books intentionally, again with the exception of a few.

With that said - no one has ever made millions or billions from reading about how to make millions, they made it by taking action. Does anyone really think Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, or Branson sit around reading all of these books on success? While other sheep were reading those books they were out building products that changed the world.

A little bit of reading here and there can be good, but my point is don't bet your success on it.

Actually I do think they do a lot of reading. Maybe more financials than books, I dunno. But even reading financials and analyzing deals will turn your mind to mush if that's all you intake. Variety for me. To each his own.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I agree that reading can be good during your downtime - although I usually read non business related books intentionally, again with the exception of a few.

With that said - no one has ever made millions or billions from reading about how to make millions, they made it by taking action. Does anyone really think Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, or Branson sit around reading all of these books on success? While other sheep were reading those books they were out building products that changed the world.

A little bit of reading here and there can be good, but my point is don't bet your success on it.

They had to learn the stuff somewhere and I bet it came from a book. You can learn a lot to avoid failures from books. You want to learn programing, real estate, stocks, marketing, accounting? Taking a class can be expensive and time consuming, but reading can be cheap and in your own time.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
With that said - no one has ever made millions or billions from reading about how to make millions, they made it by taking action. Many people get hung up on reading because there is a never ending supply of books with business advice, some of it good and some of it not so good. Does anyone really think Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg, or Branson sit around reading all of these books on success? While other sheep were reading those books they were out building products that changed the world.

Seems to be working well for me. How's your plan working for you?

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
no one has ever made millions or billions from reading about how to make millions

then you're reading the wrong books. just out of the books i've read this year i'm positive i will make at least 7 figures from things i've picked up.

you're stating the obvious, that people need to take action. you're focusing on the wrong variables though. obviously you can only make money by executing on what they know, and obviously the majority of people will never become people who execute. that's why it's so easy to make money. however, MANY people have made millions from reading/learning.(it's obvious that execution is needed) reading good information helps the people who will execute, make substantially more money. knowledge is ridiculous leverage for the people who take action.

So, will reading books and doing nothing else make you millions, of course not. Neither will eating, but being alive makes it easier to make millions too.

It's irrelevant how much the people who don't execute know, but it's immensely valuable to the people who are going to do something with it.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Maybe so, but the best lesson I learned wasn't from a book - it was when I lost $25,000 literally overnight because of a bad media buy - again taking action. No book could have prepared me for that, and taught me as much as I learned from the sleep I lost over it.

of course not, you are stating the obvious.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Alright, to each his own. Lets keep this to what it was about, talking about books people are reading.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm just sharing what has actually worked for me. I noticed that you said you think you will make (not made) 7 figures from the advice you've read.

I did not say "think", I said "will".

recap:

kflem: spend less time reading, more time doing.
others: explaining the benefits of reading.
kflem: no one makes millions from reading. you think rich people spend their time reading?
others: well, yes they do.
kflem: i'll have time for it when i die(this overused quote will get them on my side!)
others: books are good
kflem: okay guys books are good, but people should spend time doing
me: ummm, books are very valuable and yes, it's obvious that people should spend time doing as well.
kflem: ya, but the best lesson i learned wasn't even from a book!
me: uhhh, right
kflem: so you think you'll make money, pshh don't count your money till it's in the bank
kflem: i will now post a 1 month revenue screenshot from 2010

good talk

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Not trying to brag or be a prick or anything but it seems like you were questioning my legitimacy so...

This is sincere advice- If you're trying to get credibility, posting a $49k in revenue(not profit) screenshot from affiliate marketing and saying that you don't mean to brag basically takes any credibility away immediately.

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
I went back and deleted all of my posts in this thread because they were turning this into an argument which isn't of any benefit to anyone else and was not my initial intent.

As oddball said.. To each his own.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Anyone have any E-Business related books that they recommend? I've read both of Scott Fox's books and Chia's How I Made My First Million...

I can't really find a lot of internet money related books though. Let me know!

I wasn't terribly impressed with Gerber's stuff. If you have one, you basically have them all, just like Kiyosaki. I've read Fox's stuff as well

On another note though, I just read Dynamic Diva Dollars and ........hmm not as impressed as I could have been. First, the book needed copy editing BAD.
Second, she shamelessly directs you to her affiliate links and ebooks
and Third, well, it's really not anything most of don't already know. I do appreciate what she went through, but the book doesn't come across as helping people as much as it does like she's trying to sell women on her info products and it's BLATANT.

I'm so/so on this book.

It did give me an idea though.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Ok, I see there was some conflict over some statements made by KFleming, and while his statements have largely been deleted, I think I've put the pieces of the puzzle together.

I think what he was alluding to, is that people get caught up reading and dont execute.

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
-Albert Einstein

Here's how I see it, if you don't you understand something, by all means read up on it (in the cheapest manner possible) and then execute. If you find yourself reading the same basic concepts over and over from different authors, then you're dilly dallying and should best execute something, anything. The simple fact of the matter is that many get caught in the "analysis paralysis" phase and don't do anything. Reading becomes like a crutch. Like most other things, reading should be done in moderation.

*hops off soapbox*

My opinion for what it's worth.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Finished book Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Hyder Kabani - good book, up there with Gary Vaynerchuk's newest book The Thank You Economy. Zen book is more practical maybe since it has like 10 short case studies in there and really goes into how to use Facebook, twitter and LinkedIn and Videos.

Also finished Unofficial Guide to Doing Business Simon Cowell Way - just wanted to research Simon Cowell and how he does it, nice book. Shows the paradox that good businessman are considered loners but always have a great team behind them...

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
then you're reading the wrong books. just out of the books i've read this year i'm positive i will make at least 7 figures from things i've picked up.

Alright, Snowbank....... what have you been reading? ;)

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I stumbled upon an interesting series of small business books, produced by Entrepreneur Magazine.

Numerous industries are covered - anything from Car Wash to Bed & Breakfast. The books are written with input from successful owners, specific to that particular industry.

I am currently reading the 'Fashion Accessories' edition. Not the most enthralling thing I have read but LOTS of great, industry specific, tips.

Small Business Books - SmallBizBooks.com

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Yea let's just let this one go. We are all in agreement that execution makes you rich, not reading. No sense in arguing over something we all agree on just because of semantics. Kfleming, we're both the same age and from the same area so I hope you stick around for awhile because it seems like you know your stuff and you're motivated. A lot of your posts are coming off as kind of arrogant though, to be honest. Like I said, though, I hope you stick around and I'm sure you didn't mean anything bad by it.

Let's get back to the point of this thread now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.