The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC What books are you reading currently?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Process

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
"I'm Ok, You're Ok" and "Games People Play."

It shows how people run through life reliving a script installed by some authority or other when they were in a childish state. Most actions serve to regain a feeling of "Ok." Each of these interactions is a transaction. Look up transactional analysis to learn more.

You can use this in sales and many other things to make people's lives easier.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Runum

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 8, 2007
DFW
"A Framework For Understanding Poverty" A Cognitive Approach.
Ruby K. Payne, Phd.

All I can say is WOW. This book is so insightful regarding the hidden rules between poverty, middle class and wealth classes. This book is geared mainly to educators, service providers, etc. but as an employer, I gained tremendous insight in the differences between the different 'castes' in our society. One key takeaway was that the maternal grandfather's occupation is a key predictor in intergenerational poverty.
(Hint: It is because the mother is so instrumental in the early nurturing of the child, and where do you think her access to knowledge and experiences came from?)

It's understanding oftentimes the 'why' we think in different classes, be it poverty, middle class or wealthy.

Highly recommended as to understanding self sabotage patterns and what it takes to break free of generational classes....
Yes, read it many years ago. Now, as an educator, I face it everyday. The differences between how people think and what causes that difference is fascinating to me. It is challenging to see and understand how the other person perceives and responds to the same events.

Thanks for reminding me about this book.

Raoul Duke

Per aspera ad astra
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 26, 2016
"A Framework For Understanding Poverty" A Cognitive Approach.
Ruby K. Payne, Phd.

All I can say is WOW. This book is so insightful regarding the hidden rules between poverty, middle class and wealth classes. This book is geared mainly to educators, service providers, etc. but as an employer, I gained tremendous insight in the differences between the different 'castes' in our society. One key takeaway was that the maternal grandfather's occupation is a key predictor in intergenerational poverty.
(Hint: It is because the mother is so instrumental in the early nurturing of the child, and where do you think her access to knowledge and experiences came from?)

It's understanding oftentimes the 'why' we think in different classes, be it poverty, middle class or wealthy.

Highly recommended as to understanding self sabotage patterns and what it takes to break free of generational classes....
Just purchased for Kindle. I'll read it next. Currently reading travis mcgee.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
It is challenging to see and understand how the other person perceives and responds to the same events.
Yes, lately I have been less interested in the 'How to' and incessantly interested in the 'why'. It seems many of us are preoccupied with knowing the exact steps and yet we understand very little about ourselves and our preconceived ideas. Even with all the knowledge that surrounds us to create and develop, many of us don't really have an understanding on what really has held us back even with all the tools at our disposal.
Also, I personally seem to gain more cognitive knowledge from autobiographies of successful individuals than any step by step plan of action from the latest get rich pump and dump bestseller.

I seem to retain the concepts of overcoming and achieving success much better through stories.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2017
Currently reading travis mcgee.
Which 'un? I just read an omnibus edition with the first three books -- Deep Blue Good-by, Nightmare in Pink, and A Purple Place for Dying.

Damn but these are some fun books. I've got the next omnibus with 4-6 on deck.

Raoul Duke

Per aspera ad astra
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 26, 2016
Which 'un? I just read an omnibus edition with the first three books -- Deep Blue Good-by, Nightmare in Pink, and A Purple Place for Dying.

Damn but these are some fun books. I've got the next omnibus with 4-6 on deck.
I grew up reading them. My parents had an assortment of books. From Heinlein, Hemingway, Bellow, Joyce, Beckett, Dostoyevsky, Camus, etc... Some I read and forgotten. I remember John D MacDonald writing beautiful prose, paragraphs. So, I decided to go back and reread them. For good purpose, mind you.

I have real all 21 books of Travis Mcgee. Favorite book is A Purple Place for Dying & The Long Lavender Look. Usually, 1/2 of the book is hands down the best prose, by any 20th century author. The latter pages, are a bit meh. Chase scenes, save the girl from the evil womanizer, she is able to love again, physically.

My library has them. I am able to rent them out for my kindle.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 18, 2018
New York

Swift

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 10, 2019
USA
Work the System
The Productive Narcissist
Business Model Generation
Godel Escher Bach An eternal Golden Braid

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Just finished;
“Monash’s Masterpiece” a book about Aussie WW1 General Sir John Monash, and am half way through
“All quiet on the Western Front” a WW1 book written by a German soldier.

elusive97

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 28, 2019
Yorkshire
In sheep's clothing. @BellaPippin recommended it and I'm learning so much. Dealing with an aggressive narcissistic partner can be so confusing, I'm grateful for your recommendation Bella :)

JohnnyBme

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 18, 2019
I just finisher the Master & Margarita, I can see the importance of it's criticism of the USSR but the book was sometimes boring and was all over the place.

I started The War Of Art, it's amazing.
I've done a lot of action faking, and the ideas in the book nail it amazingly.

Madame Peccato

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I just finished reading "The One Thing" by Gary Keller. I'm done with business / self-help books for a while, as I need to execute and not mentally jerk off, so I'm going to read fiction instead.

I just ordered these books (in Italian) at my local library:

1) Neuromancer by William Gibson
2) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
3) 1984 by George Orwell
4) White Nights by Fedor Dostoevskij

MiloszR

New Contributor
Dec 13, 2017
Berlin

Great book! Father of self developement, many tips or advices he gives are still up to date, after over 200 years. Higly recommended.

DanielB+

New Contributor
Feb 11, 2020
Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming ! If you’re curious about life as a programmer than Coders at Work is the book for you. It’s packed with interesting interviews from 15 accomplished programmers and computer scientists including Joshua Bloch, Peter Norvig, Donald Knuth, Ken Thomson, and Jamie Zawinski. The author, Peter Seibel (a programmer turned writer), got interviewees to open up about the famous projects that they worked on and the inspiring stories behind them. Coders at Work gives a peek into what makes some of the greatest programmers tick and how they think. Definitely a must read!

Rabby

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Reading Tao Te Ching (or Dao De Jing) for the I don't know how many-eth time. I have multiple translations so that I can get a better sense of the original meaning. One of my favorites, and it applies itself well to business and plenty else.

Martin.G

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I've finished The go giver and I didn't like so much, but I started to read Gorilla Mindset and I think that it's too much better. What I learnt about that is I shouldn't trust reviews about books from webs time like Goodreads, there tend to reflect other things but the the content of the book. If not, i don't know why the people gave almost 4.5 stars to the first and only 3.5 to the last one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock