The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Book to Read?

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
A credit just dropped on my Audible account. What book should I listen to next?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wind3n

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 12, 2016

Kinda funny to see Rich Dad Poor Dad on there. Didn't MJ criticize a lot of concepts in that book? Mostly the penny pincher mentality (which is okay but it sidesteps the important issues of CENTS and getting into the fastlane). And also how Kiyosaki, the author, got rich by talking the talk and selling the dream to others? (which, then again, is a fastlane of itself yet there is the issue of hypocrisy)

Last edited by a moderator:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Kinda funny to see Rich Dad Poor Dad on there. Didn't MJ criticize a lot of concepts in that book? Mostly the penny pincher mentality (which is okay but it sidesteps the important issues of CENTS and getting into the fastlane). And also how Kiyosaki, the author, got rich by talking the talk and selling the dream to others? (which, then again, is a fastlane of itself yet there is the issue of hypocrisy)

I love seeing the fastlane hypocrisy like that though. Love it.

Dave Ramsey I swear is my personal hero. He's in the fastlane by selling an EXACT roadmap on how to live in the slowlane.

The number of needs his work covers in unbelievable.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
winning through intimidation by ringer

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
also; the effective executive and seth godin linchpin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Didn't MJ criticize a lot of concepts in that book?

Not really, I thought RDPD was a good book because it did push entrepreneurship, albeit real estate.

However, my issue or critism is with the author and a possible paradox of practice. I'd betcha most of his net worth is from his self-development empire, not his real estate.

AndreHimself

Goat Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 12, 2015
LA
The books that MJ put together in the fastlane bookstore are ones that many forum members here recommended. I agree with what you said about Kiyosaki, and I don't understand what all the hype was about for his book. Maybe it's because I read it after The Millionaire Fastlane ;)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Maybe it's because I read it after The Millionaire Fastlane ;)

This is a big part of it.

I know I wasn't as impressed with "Think and Grow Rich" as others were, but it was also like the 20th book on the subject I had read up to that point so a lot of it was like "uhh, I've read more detail with more relevance in a dozen other books". But if it had been one of the first I bet I would have been more blown away with it. I'm actually re-reading it now and must say it is quite a good book, but I was really less than impressed on my first run through by sheer comparison to other works.

Four Hour Work Week blew me away because I think it was the absolute first book I had ever read on the subject. It was a kick in the mind that sent my thoughts spinning for weeks. Months. I've re-read it a few times and I think I'd be really mocking a lot of it if I only read it today for the first time.

In terms of my actual suggestion for a book to read right now - I couldn't have been happier and more impressed with "The One Thing" and "Ready, Fire, Aim". Both are fantastic books that I think stand tall among the sea of other books on this topic.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is a big part of it.

I know I wasn't as impressed with "Think and Grow Rich" as others were, but it was also like the 20th book on the subject I had read up to that point so a lot of it was like "uhh, I've read more detail with more relevance in a dozen other books". But if it had been one of the first I bet I would have been more blown away with it. I'm actually re-reading it now and must say it is quite a good book, but I was really less than impressed on my first run through by sheer comparison to other works.

Four Hour Work Week blew me away because I think it was the absolute first book I had ever read on the subject. It was a kick in the mind that sent my thoughts spinning for weeks. Months. I've re-read it a few times and I think I'd be really mocking a lot of it if I only read it today for the first time.

In terms of my actual suggestion for a book to read right now - I couldn't have been happier and more impressed with "The One Thing" and "Ready, Fire, Aim". Both are fantastic books that I think stand tall among the sea of other books on this topic.
Interesting. I have and like all of these, plus MJ's book.

Two more I really like are:
  • The 7 Day Startup
  • Built to Sell (just don't get this on audible!)

wind3n

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 12, 2016
Here's my Audible recommendation:

The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry

http://www.audible.com/pd/Business/The-Automatic-Customer-Audiobook/B00SRYB5XW/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1481221009&sr=1-1

The lifeblood of your business is repeat customers. But customers can be fickle, markets shift, and competitors are ruthless. So how do you ensure a steady flow of repeat business? The secret--no matter what industry you're in--is finding and keeping automatic customers. These days virtually anything you need can be purchased through a subscription, with more convenience than ever before. Far beyond Spotify, Netflix, and New York Times subscriptions, you can sign up for weekly or monthly supplies of everything from groceries (AmazonFresh) to cosmetics (Birchbox) to razor blades (Dollar Shave Club).

According to John Warrillow, this emerging subscription economy offers huge opportunities to companies that know how to turn customers into subscribers. Automatic customers are the key to increasing cash flow, igniting growth, and boosting the value of your company.

Whether you want to transform your entire business into a recurring revenue engine or just pick up an extra 5 percent of sales growth, The Automatic Customer will be your secret weapon.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
All of the below I would recommend.

IMG_3331.JPG

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just finished Be Obsessed or Be Average by Grant Cardone on audiobook. Blew me away. I am not sure it well it would translate to written text as pretty much the entire audiobook was embellishment and him screaming at you.

I listened to the whole thing while working on my computer or at the gym and it pumped me up big time. He really just tries to slam home how you can't be successful if you are not willing to put in the effort to make it work. Be obsessed about your goals and actually do them.

I forgot how awesome audiobooks were. I can listen while doing pretty much anything. A true 2-for-1.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
winning through intimidation by ringer

Not really, I thought RDPD was a good book because it did push entrepreneurship, albeit real estate.

However, my issue or critism is with the author and a possible paradox of practice. I'd betcha most of his net worth is from his self-development empire, not his real estate.

you are right

this is exactly the paradox of practice that made him rich.

but this is like salesmen selling shovels to gold miners

the salesmen will become rich, not the gold miners.

this is human nature : i want to be free in the french alps and i have no good plan yet to do that.

if i could do like Robert Kiyosaki to achieve what i want and think i deserve, i wouldn't hesitate one second about "selling shovels to gold miner"

not one second.

my life is worth more than customers desire and wants.

we only live once

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ha!

Allen - I have two of those books sitting on my reading desk right now! (Zero to One and War of Art).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just finished Be Obsessed or Be Average by Grant Cardone on audiobook. Blew me away. I am not sure it well it would translate to written text as pretty much the entire audiobook was embellishment and him screaming at you.

I listened to the whole thing while working on my computer or at the gym and it pumped me up big time. He really just tries to slam home how you can't be successful if you are not willing to put in the effort to make it work. Be obsessed about your goals and actually do them.

I forgot how awesome audiobooks were. I can listen while doing pretty much anything. A true 2-for-1.
His "10x Rule" is good on audible too. I wasn't a GC fan beforehand but I think I saw Allen Crawley recommend it. I think he's quite funny now I know where he's coming from.

I listened to his "Millionaire Booklet" on a short flight. Some interesting tidbits once you get past the first few chapters.

The AskGaryVee audio book was good too.

As was MJ's of course.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
His "10x Rule" is good on audible too. I wasn't a GC fan beforehand but I think I saw Allen Crawley recommend it. I think he's quite funny now I know where he's coming from.

I listened to his "Millionaire Booklet" on a short flight. Some interesting tidbits once you get past the first few chapters.

The AskGaryVee audio book was good too.

As was MJ's of course.
I didn't recommend it. Although, I did just finish it. I personally would not recommend it.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
apart from the usuals another good one is The platinum rule and then books by the author tony alessandro

furthermore another good one is the drucker anthology

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
I didn't recommend it. Although, I did just finish it. I personally would not recommend it.

Allen, Curious as to why you wouldn't recommend the 10x rule? Would be great to hear your thoughts and insights!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.