• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    How to Get Rich by Felix Denis

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: How to Get Rich, Felix Denis (Review | Discuss)

NOTABLE! Most liked posts in thread: What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

1. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,345
    Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers. Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control. He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

2. Kyle T

Kyle T Aspiring Super Hero Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,871
    "Unscripted" by some dude named MJ Demarco

3. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,235
    Just finished reading 2 books in the past few weeks and about to finish the 3rd one tomorrow.

1) StoryBrand : This is the book to get if you're heavily into branding. The concepts taught in the book are very similar to the kind of abstract and philosophical "hard-to-get" concepts written by rpeck90 here. The book is very highly actionable; they've "worksheets" for you to fill in with your branding concepts for your company. By the end of the book, you'll basically have a very streamlined and clear branding direction for your business and where you want to take it etc.

2) Visual Hammer : This book talks about the concept of the Visual Hammer and Verbal Nail in marketing. I will definitely be going back to read this one again next week. The idea is that marketing in the world focuses too much on the written word even though humans can remember images way better.
    Basically, a Verbal Nail (what you intend your brand to be about and what it stands for) + Visual Hammer (the type of imagery customers associate with your brand) = Extremely powerful brand almost invulnerable to competition.
    On every single page, the author throws about 1 - 4 different companies as examples. So choke full of examples that my mind is in a mess now. F*ck. I've never seen a book like this. It exposes a lot of new concepts which I've never thought of. The best thing is : the author boldly criticizes a whole ton of companies, what they did right and what they did wrong. This is rather unusual for a book as most authors usually refrain from talking about the bad points of how Company A did X amt of things wrong and what they could have done better.
    Note, the term "Visual Hammer" doesn't necessarily refer to logos or icons in the book.

3) The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing : Another really good book. Written by Al Ries (Visual Hammer is written by his daughter) in the same style : critiquing a ton of companies in the world and how we can learn from them. I feel if one takes the lessons in the book to heart, one can really go far with branding. One section about quality vs branding makes me realize that quality is not everything.

IMO, I would rate all 3 books 5 stars.
    I've now become a fan of Al Ries and will be reading more of his and his daughter's books.

Zhyna, baemes, ValueGenerator and 4 others like this.
  4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,874
    jpanarra, lucasb, Pavlos and 4 others like this.
  5. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $925
    I'm currently reading "The 10 X Rule" by Grant Cardone. Very motivational.

6. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,613
    Recently read Essentialism - all about cutting out the clutter and focusing only on those things that fit your vision and move the needle.

I'll be coming back to this book regularly. Highly recommend.

[​IMG]

maverick, DVU, Xeon and 3 others like this.
  7. focusedlife

focusedlife Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $843
    The books I've read recently that have blown my mind (and have ACTUALLY HELPED me level up):

1. The Great Libertarian Offer (by Harry Browne) - never heard of dude before and wish I had, earlier. Would vote for him in a heartbeat. Simply read the description here and let me know if it doesn't, at least make you curious what he's storing up for you inside.

Click here to read the description of the book

I never knew what a Libertarian was, what their values were or why I should even consider their party. That's all changed. I'm a fan. Love Harry Browne.

2. The Secret of Selling Anything (by Harry Browne) - This was the first book I bought from dude. He got it. He was a master sales guy, a master at sales psychology and knew how to write copy. I'd recommend incorporating this book into whatever your sales training if nothing more than filling in basic blanks that so many other trainings just plain miss.

It's gold and coupled with the next book on my list, you will be a unstoppable and very dangerous sale force to compete against.

Click Here to check out the description

3. No: The Only Negotiation System You Need For Work and Home (by Jim Camp) - Frequently referred to as one of the world's most feared negotiators (he passed in 2015), I MUST admit, this book has become my negotiating bible and I use principles to help me craft my own high ticket proposals that RARELY fail (usually if they do it's because I got impatient and tried to cut corners somewhere).

This is MUST read reading that I would recommend to someone who's paid me to coach them and, sadly, not enough people know about this amaze balls book.

The other thing to note about this book is it's NOT available on Kindle, which takes it's value up a notch due to it's exclusivity and, quite possibly, it's rarity.

If you can find it...get it.

Worth 1000X whatever the current price tag is.

4. Tools of Titans (by Tim Ferriss) - The book is basically a compendium and summary of past folks Tim has had on his podcasts and the wonderful lessons they've had to impart.

You can skip the book and just listen to the podcast and read his blog to get the same content, but the book is more of a convenience than anything and the wonderful insights you get from each of the contributors (who've all made amazing accomplishments throughout their lives) is well worth the read.

Inspirational, insightful and counter-intuitively thought provoking.

Recommend.

5. The 365 Stoic (by Ryan Holiday) - If you've never read anything about stoic philosophy, this is an excellent intro into the subject matter.

It's all about how to live an even keel life and how to maintain your emotional levels no matter the situation.

Dealing with life as it happens and keeping your emotions in check.

The way it's written is brilliant...read one chapter (about 2 pages long) each day. Get a little lesson, a little perspective and maybe a helpful lesson that could actually help you deal with your own personal adversity, no matter how big or small.

It's helped me deal with my own feelings a great deal.

6. Value Based Fees (by Alan Weiss) - Good lord...why does anyone charge for anything any other way?

Charging by the hour is actually a conflict of interest (if you ask me). If the service provider is good and can do a job quickly, they penalize themselves. If they suck, the client gets penalized and pays more for something that someone else could have handled sooner?

It's just not smart.

It also helps folks get a handle on how to evaluate and anchor value in the world of your prospect so that you can comfortably and confidently ask whatever you think you're worth for whatever it is you offer.

Must have for service providers, coaches, consultants, and anyone that is trying to understand how to reframe or at least better articulate value (MJ talks about skews, etc).

Game changer.

7. Building A Story Brand

---Oops...I gotta run so will finish this later.

Hope you dig so far and would love to know your thoughts about these recommendations, even if you dislike.

Mutant, Brad_Hurst, Tommo and 3 others like this.
  8. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $932
    Just finished Blue Ocean, would recommend to everyone anywhere, applies to slowlane and fastlane.

Jello, Olimac21, 404profound and 3 others like this.
  9. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,167
    15412090610791150796540413556190.jpg

Olimac21, G-Man, cy- and 3 others like this.
  10. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,618

absolutely

1) masterminds are not on earth to be sheep in a controled society . i can't say too much because of political correctness since political correctness is more important than truth in our world

masterminds are on earth to think about the big picture . not to watch TV an insult intelligence

2) yes the stupidity of the masses is very annoying for masterminds

very very annoying

this is why a lot of masterminds have contempt fot the masses

because of the stupidity of the crowd , living like idiots instead of thinking about truth

3) yes because masterminds are above the crowd

you can't tell a private to do the work of a general !

people are not equal

4) absolutely

look at this picture and the quotations

intj.jpg

so the book i read are masterminds related because money is not the goal of life but a means

once you get the money, you have to get serious and live the right way above the crowd

you have 80 or 100 years on earth to honour human dignity and intelligence

not to be energy in a system for unknow masterminds above you

for example :

flight.jpg

Xeon, Arun Siva, YoungPadawan and 2 others like this.
  11. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,235
    Just finished reading Kevin O Leary's "Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women, and Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes and How to Fix Them".

Overall decent book. The book is all about saving and scrimping, and Kevin discourages you from buying certain things like cars. He also talks about whether one should waste the $ to go college, and how you should invest only in stocks that pay you a dividend monthly, how to avoid gold diggers, teaching kids the importance of saving money, and overall, do not spend on unnecessary crap, and a big section on not buying things on credit because the interest will kill you over time (ie. if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Just don't buy on credit)

It also has a section which runs along the same tune as one part in Unscripted, which is do not spend more just because you're making more (ie: making $4 million a year and blowing $3 million on trash just because "you can").
    He also talks about why one should not mix $ with emotions.

From the book, I can see that Kevin is a scrooge, miser and penny-pincher, but here's the thing : I love his beliefs towards money and I aspire to scrimp like him. To be the Ultimate Miser.
    The book complements Unscripted very well : scrimp and save, then funnel all the $ to your business to make even more money, then scrimp and save more, repeat, and occasionally pamper yourself to something you like once in a while.

Currently reading The Luxury Strategy after reading about it in the Luxury thread here.

12. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Done Dicking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,591
    Yeah, if you find yourself reading a lot of books, but not implementing what you've learned, you have a case of "action faking," as MJ puts it. Instead, read one book several times, until you develop the habit of implementation.

I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm an info junkie myself and have fallen into this trap many times.

I2KGhost, lucasb, Tidder Jail and 2 others like this.
  13. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Stop F*cking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $7,093
  14. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 The world belongs to the risk takers Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,005
    Reading Viktor Frankl - Man’s Search for Meaning

Whenever I’m driving, I’m listening to Unscripted (basically on repeat)

Just finished Rise and Grind by Daymond John...thought it was so-so.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  15. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,945
    Just finished Pre-Suasion by Cialdini. This is definitely one you have to listen/read twice.

What was striking about this book is that the sale happens before the sale.

Just like we used to think you made a sale by the words that come out of your mouth. Only to then discover, 80%+ was body language. Pre-Suasion is similar, in that the sale comes from the environment, and before you even utter a word.

For example, imagine 2 restaurants with the following names: Rue 17. House 37.

Both are of equal quality and value. However, customers are more likely to purchase a higher priced meal in House 37.

Or another example is increasing the price of food, to increase customer satisfaction. I noticed the Asian buffet in my town raised their prices by 77%. The place is more packed than ever. Same exact food and service. If you have the time, look up how buffets make money. It's fascinating. (Not an example in the book)

Likewise, you can trick people into success.

Simply putting up posters of someone winning a race, is enough to make the viewer more goal oriented.

Or...

How about marginalized groups? People who are under societal pressure to not do well in school? Well you can push their scores up without all the political trickery of padding results.

Again, put up a few posters, but this time of successful people who look just like them. I think we've known this for a while, just not applied to academics. If there is a task no one has been able to complete, then someone comes along and does it. Then soon after, other people start completing it as well. This is because they now know it can be done.

How about a principle that's related to current events?

Nike.

Pre-suasively, we give importance to what we're paying attention to.

And it's at an all time high:

upload_2018-9-8_11-6-40.png
    While the controversy will hit them short term, (barely as we can see at the last candle), most people will forget by the next news cycle. However, those Nike connections in their head will strengthen.

upload_2018-9-8_11-7-33.png

More importantly, by the exposure effect, people who don't even care about what everyone is mobbing about, will subconsciously gravitate towards Nike. (Adidas who?)

16. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,444
    There’s a lot to be learned about business from Ayn Rand. She’s a big time libertarian which is roughly in line with the views of this forum.

(Some people might deny that, but that’s definitely true)

And from what I understand Bioshock was a critique of Atlas Shrugged. More so painting a caricature of it rather than something the original author would agree with.

17. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,945
    It does mean something if it's in spite of a "controversy." (However manufactured)

Nike knew what they were doing from the get go.

Enrage a few people, half of which don't even buy their merch. Let them mob on social media.

Then the actual fans of Kaep and the brand would rally behind them

Sure there may be some collateral damage, but the overall sentiment is positive.

upload_2018-9-10_20-56-55.png

18. SRathwell

SRathwell Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $172
    I am currently reading (listening) to Quiet by Susan Cain.

This book is an eye opener for me. I always knew that I was an introvert but always thought of it as something was wrong with me. This book has changed my outlook on introversion, now I see that it is normal and can even an advantageous in many critical situations.

The book teaches how to be effective as introvert in a world that is dominated by extroverts. I recommend this book for everyone, but especially for someone who thinks they are an introvert and want to learn how to leverage it in business and in life.

19. LPPC

LPPC Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $924
    Some interesting books mentioned here.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Got to balance the stress from entrepreneurship out with some inner work!

20. jon.M

jon.M The Well Defined Forum Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $110
    Long time since I read the book, but I think you might be misinterpreting his message. He sure does talk a lot about franchises, but definitely not in the way that you should buy one.

Take McDonald's for example. They sell burgers. Anyone can sell a burger. It's a piece of bread, meat and some veggies. And in fact, many would argue that McDonald's sell shitty burgers.

But McDonald's is still the #1 food chain in the world. Why do you think that's the case?

One reason might be that Ray Croc or someone else defined a specific process for how everything in the restaurant should be done. Fries need to be fried for 3 minutes and 43 seconds. Toilets are cleaned every 30 minutes. This is exactly how you make a Big Mac, that is how you deal with customers.

It's so simple for a worker do this because they won't have to learn stuff for themselves, just follow the instructions. How else could a popular fast food chain be largely run by pimpled teens with no former experience?

It's a business system. Like a money-making machine where all you need is to turn the key. You've got processes and systems defined for everything, and everything needed for things to go well is someone to follow the instructions.

That's why McDonald's got franchisees. People want to start a business with high chances of surviving, so they start a McDonald's. All they've gotta do is to show up to do the work, and things could work out okay.

This is also an important notion to businesses that are NOT franchises. It will help you make things more efficient and painless, make it easier for potential employees to get in the groove, and might make the business more valuable if you choose to take on investors/sell it off.

Let's say you run an ecommerce store selling pet clothing. If you had to write a document outlining the process for everything that's needed to be done in your business, in simple, easy-to-follow instructions, what would you write?

What are the steps for finding new suppliers? What are the steps for importing and storing the product? How do you add a new product in the store? How do you package and ship it off? How do you deal with customer service? How do you communicate with followers on social media -- are you friendly and sincere, funny and viral etc?

Rabby, Tommo, Xeon and 1 other person like this.
  21. Mikkel

Mikkel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,183
    When I look at free markets, I want what is best for the consumer(myself) and the access to these products.

Mergers: These tend to be positive for the consumer as the two companies tend to bring their strongest assets/systems to the table and become more efficient and therefore decrease their costs, which is good for most everyone... except the competition.

Monopolies: I am not a fan of monopolies just because they can force new businesses out of existence. However, how do monopolies become a reality? It is typically due to regulations that make it impossible for small business to stay in business, leading to companies to buy out their competition and take a stronghold in the market. Even Facebook stated that increasing regulations for social media would be great for Facebook because it would help destroy its competition while FB would be able to weather the regulations due to its capital.

Government Intervention: The government should ONLY regulate against actions it wishes to exterminate. Like smoking. If you don't like smoking, tax the crap out of it and people will stop. However, what they SHOULD NOT do is try and regulate things they believe is good. Products are neither good nor bad. The individual can determine for themselves if a product is good or bad at the current free market price.
    An example of bad regulation: when you give price caps on the water to farmers in California, you allow farmers to use excessive amounts of water to grow their plants, leading to shortages in water. If the government didn't cap the price of water, farmers would be more hesitant on whether they should grow water hungry plants in such a dry climate. Since the market can provide those exact same crops at a lower price because other areas don't have to pay for water since it is free... since it rains more often in other areas. The point of free markets is to allow the markets to determine the price and to allow for allocation of scarce resources.

FDA: Why can't a private institution do this? Why are consumers unable to determine if they should take a certain drug or not. Why should terminal patients not have access to potentially life-saving drugs just because they don't know if those drugs will cause damage to them... they are already at the end of their life if they don't do something different.
    Now, I can see an argument that the FDA may be helpful in ensure drugs don't cause harm to patients, but why does a drug company have to spend years testing if their drug is effective? The market can determine that. Instead, the FDA jacks up the prices of these drugs because of all the testing that must be done, causing the drug companies to spend more money on R&D which gets past on to the customer.

The free-market system is just ONE system on how to distribute scarce resources. I believe it is the most efficient as individuals know the value of a product to themselves a LOT better than the government knows what is best for each individual.

Thomas Sowell and his book explain these ideas much better than myself. :happy:

lewj24, Xeon, Sheens and 1 other person like this.
  22. momomaurice

momomaurice Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,235
    Miracle Morning
    Eat That Frog

I'm developing my daily habits because I am nowhere near what successful people do. I think waking early and having a routine is very important.

I'm also listening to a lot of Jim Rohn and Tony Robbins right now.

23. Plank

Plank That's not sawdust.. it's Man Glitter Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $632
    The rational male, if you're a man and haven't read it, do so now!! Jesus I wish I had that book back when I was 15 or younger..
    It's the "millionaire fastlane" of its genre, "self realization/awakening/relationship advice/people skills, etc. Really hard to put that book in a box..

24. DStark

DStark New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $48
    I am reading/listening to Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning and 12 Rules for Life. I recommend both these as they are absolutely fascinating and 12 rules for life is a great book to help orient yourself in your life. Dr. Peterson has fantastic viewpoints on life and they have helped me and I think would give great perspective to anyone who reads it.

25. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,444
    Arun Siva, ApparentHorizon and lowtek like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.