The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are your tricks to staying focused from day 2 day?

Anything related to matters of the mind

rogerlum

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
May 20, 2008
"Long term focused but short term ADD?"

I think everyone on here is pretty focused for the long term. We know where we are and where we want to get to. We are willing to do whatever it is to get there. At the same time, even the best of us lose focus in the moment and have to recenter ourselves.

Here are some tools that I use:
1. Desk Calendar: I know I know, there is something called outlook calendar and Google calendar but I like to put things on my desk calendar that aren't that important but that are urgent because it gives me a visual laundry list of "the other" things I need to get done.
Some examples of stuff I have are: "Make sure manufacturer get me their flyer's" This is an example of something that really isn't a action point but a reminder of me having the will power to "push it through". Intangibles that need to get done that aren't action points.

2. Put up phrases of micro focus around you: We all have long term words of wisdom around us but do any of us utilize short term words of focus?
I currently have:
a. "Get people to buy": My current short term focus is to get more revenue in the door, which goes back to getting more people to buy stuff. Sometimes it's the simplest of phrases that we need to tell ourselves not to forget.
b. "Time to go to war": This might initially seem like a long term focus but the reason I have this up is because right now the mentality that I need is a "fighters" mentality. As the enviornment changes I might take this down and put up a sign that says "Remember to breath". I think it is important to be able to change it up as the circumstances require.

3. Do something that you know will make you refocus or see something much much much bigger than ourselves:
The other day I was feeling really shitty. I had spent a 12+ hour work day on trying to accomplish some of my business goals and to be honest ended up further behind than when I started. To be honest I felt really crappy about the predicament I am in even though quitting what I am doing wasn't on my mind. 2 ways that I have found to quickly get out of these short term funks are:
a. Play basketball: Do something that is not the business that you are passionate about and that brings the real reason you are in business out. I personally use basketball. I play in a basketball league once a week for 1 hour. Now some people might be saying "Well that's why you are frustrated you aren't focused on your business" In fact that league is about the only thing that keeps me focused on why I love business. We rarely win but I love playing hard and it feels so good when we do. It makes me remember why I am an entrepreneur and it always seems to revitalize my focus for the next work day.
b.Go to the ocean: Every time I feel that in the short term things are way to overwhelming and there is just too large of a mountain to climb I go see something that is way bigger than me. The ocean really makes me realize no matter how big my short term issue or project is there are things that are way bigger in the world. For some reason that tends to do the trick.

4. Finally: "Think thankful" I think we can all admit a product of being a passionate entrepreneur is we get crazy sometimes from the day to day stuff. I don't think it's something that we necessarily excuse, but we can all relate to. When this happens to me I try to draw from something specific that makes me remember how good I have it. This means different things to different people but I think we all have something that we often thank our blessed stars we have in life. (i.e.: significant others, religion, friends, family, sports, hobbies) When things are getting bad I try to draw up in my mind a few of those things and usually it put things back in perspective.

Do people have tactics that they can share on how they stay focused on a day 2 day level? (I know I need more!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I like going to the ocean as well. It helps me get perspective. Doesn't do a thing for my wife though. Sometimes I listen to motivational stuff on CD with the headphones on. Kinda like total focus and immersion. That helps when life just kicked my rear. I also make my to do list for the next day so I know when I get up what has to be done and in what time frame. This also lets me know where I have some flexibility with time. Good post. +++speed.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
-I have a vision board as my desktop background.
-I post on these forums regularly. I am very driven when others around me are working so hard on their futures.
- I use to go for a drive...now I go for a park at a park.
-I have a 2x3 white board that has my plan in bubble form
-I have a to do list on a smaller white board.
-I get away from everything once in while and just relax. I go up to blackhawk and play poker. For 8-12 Hours I think about nothing but the cards in front of me. For me, its very nice.

++

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Antonio.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 28, 2007
Saint Louis
I really don't have any tips to stay focus I just keep the big picture in mind and work my a$$ off daily!!

psynapse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
May 19, 2008
Los Angeles, California
For me, I setup an accountability group to keep you on track of accomplishing just one thing each day that moves you forward. I found that as long as I'm doing at least just one thing that propels me forward each day, I'm accomplishing more than most. It is suprising how hard this can be.. but it becomes so much easier when you have a constant reminder from other people in the group. I guess that's why so many successful people are part of some Mastermind-type group?

Of course, the accomplishment each day should tie into the current strategic objective, or else you could be catapulting off in an unnecessary direction..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.