The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are you sacrificing?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
We all know choices come with sacrifices. Time spent somewhere means time away from other important things. Living in a certain place might mean you're not close to people you love. Choosing a certain lifestyle (for now ;)) might mean delayed gratification for "the finer things in life".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
My health. I got burned out after many years trying to succeed (with fulltime job and 2 young children).
Now I'm slowly getting back to grinding but taking it very slowly. My health still didn't return 100% so I have to take care not to fall back.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Social life. Yes this includes women as well. :frown:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
In my experience sacrificing was short in duration. I haven't really seen any long term negative sacrifices. In fact I only had a few negative sacrifices...and they were temporary (months not years). Overall what I saw as "sacrifices" actually turned out to be pleasant changes in my life.

The only bad sacrifice I made was my own happiness for a few months. This happened unconsciously. I was able to fix it pretty quickly so no big deal.

Some might say loosing the golden handcuffs is a sacrifice but I quickly saw the opposite. I didn't make as much money for a few years but it wasn't really an issue/problem.

Overall, it just wasn't that big a deal for me....and I almost can't stand to drink Sweet Tea anymore, ha!

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
My 20s, social life, women/gfs, cars & vacations, eating out, latest fashion items (apple and all that jazz).

Small price to pay if I get to be totally free by 40. :)
What? You're thinking 40? That's almost not even worth it, here I am thinking I have to make it in my 20's.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Sleep. On average I get 4 hours of sleep a night
Don't.
Get at least six.

I found my work ethic and tendency to oversleep worsening with less sleep.

Social life. Yes this includes women as well.
The wrong women, that is.

I'm tired of seeing boys my age go after girls who love taking selfies and going on beach holidays more than studying, managing their finances and building great skills for the home and the workplace.

I find it absolutely insane.

How in the F*ck can a girl who gossips, chases after trends, jumps from one boyfriend to another and can't say 'no' to many things provide value to my life?

If I hadn't met my girl, who's met pretty much many of the things I am looking for, I would just simply build my Fastlane, do my own thing, and wait and watch for all the girls to crash and burn with terrible life decisions, and start picking the folks that did make great decisions.

I sound rather evil, but that's that. If I can sacrifice my social life with spoilt, immature women that don't know how to build themselves to be better, stronger ladies, that's a good deal.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
What? You're thinking 40? That's almost not even worth it, here I am thinking I have to make it in my 20's.

Well, I spent my 20s living frugally and testing, testing, testing. I'm 31 now... and things have finally settled and have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't work... I've made more $$$ this year than I did in the last 10 years combined - hopefully I'll be able to sacrifice much less in my 30s..... and be totally free by 40 (dream house paid for in full, car(s), married, business running on auto pilot + have a good network of useful and resourceful people in my contact book). Trust me, it will be worth it :D

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
When I was young, I worked 32 hours a week, and I went to college carrying 18 units per semester. My life was hard, but my grades were top notch.

The girls at my first college were into partying and having a good time. They made fun of me all the time. They said I needed to get a life and do fun stuff. I was a country girl with nothing, and they were having fun on their daddy's money. They got their Mrs. degrees (married Mr. Right), and we all went our own ways.
I met up with a couple of them around the time I was 40. They were in deep trouble. One had her husband run off with the office bimbo. Both were in the middle of messy divorces. They had kids, bills and their lives were falling apart. I had a good career and things going my way. At that time, I was in law school getting my Juris Doctorate. I was working 60 hours a week at my career and carrying nine grad units. All they could talk about was how lucky I was to have my career and my stable lifestyle. Yes, I wanted to slap them. But when I looked in their eyes, I realized that they still didn't understand. They were still clueless.
I can tell everyone it's been worth every bit of the blood, sweat, tears, and pain I put into this. I'm not living check to check, or pinching out a life on Social Security. I've earned my place in the sun and I write my own rules.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
I don't make every decision correctly everyday.

What am I currently sacrificing?

*Driving a 2004, since buying it for cash. 150k miles and still kicking.
*Going out to eat less (cook at home, pack a lunch)
*No movies out - rent on stream
*Little to no NFL football
*Rent - movable, no mortgage, very few house headaches
*No hair gel in 6 years - just get up and roll baby ; )
*New clothes, very rare - replace as needed
*No watch, no jewelry, none.
*No facebook (excellent choice)

*Disclaimer - do not have a FL business yet, so no need for FB in that realm but the peace of mind which comes from just doing you and doing your own life without comparing it to others is an amazing form of self-confidence building. It also leaves you with more ability to be present with those who count in your life. I cannot stress this one enough*

SIDE RANT: Go out to dinner alone. This is another incredible self-confidence builder. Strike it up with your bar tender or server, you'll will be fine. Go out with a good friend and no phones allowed, another excellent sacrifice.

While out, observe the people who are not communicating with one another. Is it getting a little weird?

Bueller? Bueller?

Anyway, this Forum has some real people kicking a$$ and taking names in the FL world and more power to them. I won't bullsh*t you, not there, but glad to be here.

Whether it's eating a bag of chips you shouldn't or not taking your private jet to save some fossil fuel for the day, I wish you all the best and to challenge your sacrifice.

Edit: misc./adjustments for 2019

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Yo!!!

Not always making the correct choices everyday, like eating an entire bag of chips (delicious) and skipping yoga, but here goes:

And zero of this can't even be brag, I mean really look at the list, LMAO and this is a very new FL and UNSCRIPTED reader. Yes, it is somewhat Ramsey like, but it's what's current for me.

What am I sacrificing?

*Driving 2004 SUV since buying it for cash in 2010. 130k miles and kicking!
*Going out to eat less (cooking at home, packing a lunch)
*NO movies - if I/we want to see one - rent on HULU
*NO cable - no football (not easy), no sports (Youtube MJ, Cardone, Pandora)
*Rent - movable, no mortgage, very few "house" headaches
*No hair gel in 5 years - true, but that's hilarious! Get up & roll Baby!!!
*New clothes, so rare...only replaced as "needed"
*No watch, no jewelry, none.

*Not logged in to Facebook in 4 years! (*Best decision in a long time*)

*Disclaimer - do not have a FL business yet, so no need for FB in that realm but the peace of mind that comes from just doing "you" and doing "your life" without comparing it to others is an amazing form of self-confidence building and leaves you the ability to be present with those who count in your life. I cannot stress this one enough*

SIDE RANT: Go out to dinner alone, another incredible self-confidence builder (strike it up with the bar tender or server, you'll be fine) and/or go out with a good friend and no phone use allowed. Count and observe the people not communicating at dinner with one another. Is it getting a little weird? People talk a lot about writing copy (which I agree with, but how about taking public speaking classes or "being present" without a phone training?) Bueller, Bueller? FL Business idea...?

Anyway, this Forum has some real people kicking a$$ and taking names in the FL world and more power to them. I won't bullsh*t you, not there. Not the laziest salesman, not the most motivated, coffee crushing, closer either but glad to be here.

Whether is eating a bag of chips you shouldn't or not taking your private jet to save some fossil fuel for the day - I wish you all the best and to challenge your sacrifice!!! It may just be worth the risk...AND you could surprise yourself!!!
I see so many "dates" where couples just look at their phones waiting for food. Then they eat it and leave without ever saying a word to each other.

My aunt and her husband watch an hour of tv at night. He's into it while my aunt pulls out her ipad and just scrolls during that entire hour. lol.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
I see so many "dates" where couples just look at their phones waiting for food. Then they eat it and leave without ever saying a word to each other.

My aunt and her husband watch an hour of tv at night. He's into it while my aunt pulls out her ipad and just scrolls during that entire hour. lol.

Yes, it's definitely becoming different! ...an hour, comparably that's probably not too bad though in regard to the masses. And kind of sad if it's totally unknowingly or you are being rewired and you're not paying attention.

Do some of us agree?

Pay good attention. Look up & around and keep on making those sacrifices!!!

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
I'm sacrificing everything besides family (mom and dad) and my true friends (I have 4).

The only new friends I make are business related. Long term relationships/dating don't interest me since it takes time away from my businesses. I'm 22 and I will most likely stay single until my 30s and marrying in my late 30s.

For the first 3 years of business I slept around 4 hours per day while working 12 to 16 hours per day. I was working while everyone else was partying, dating, traveling and more.

It was worth it though since my e-commerce businesses I started 3 years ago are generating good profit. However, if I didn't succeed for 3 years in a row my sacrifices would take a toll on me mentally.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
We all know choices come with sacrifices. Time spent somewhere means time away from other important things. Living in a certain place might mean you're not close to people you love. Choosing a certain lifestyle (for now ;)) might mean delayed gratification for "the finer things in life".

sleep, a bit of my social life.. actually a fair bit of both

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
As others mentioned mainly weekends and social events. Been at it for nearly two years now and willing to continue on and invest the next 5. Really learning to love the process.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
the biggest sacrifice is what everyone else is doing.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I'm tired of seeing boys my age go after girls who love taking selfies and going on beach holidays more than studying, managing their finances and building great skills for the home and the workplace.

I find it absolutely insane.

How in the f*ck can a girl who gossips, chases after trends, jumps from one boyfriend to another and can't say 'no' to many things provide value to my life?

If I hadn't met my girl, who's met pretty much many of the things I am looking for, I would just simply build my Fastlane, do my own thing, and wait and watch for all the girls to crash and burn with terrible life decisions, and start picking the folks that did make great decisions.

I sound rather evil, but that's that. If I can sacrifice my social life with spoilt, immature women that don't know how to build themselves to be better, stronger ladies, that's a good deal.

There's nothing evil about that attitude at all its sound advice, took me until my 30's to finally figure that out! Choose yourself first, and only allow someone into your space that adds to your life, not someone that drains you.

And anyway, not having people like that in your life isn't a sacrifice at all, it could look like that to friends and family if one chooses to be single rather than enter a relationship with someone of the mindset you mentioned, but we ain't got time for those slowlane shenanigans in the fastlane!

As for what I'm sacrificing at the moment, I don't put as much time and focus on my fitness goals as I should, I have a young kid, lots of work blah blah ultimately its excuses, I have been doing yoga a few nights a week for the last couple of months and bit by bit need to add a few more fitness related activities into my schedule.

Last edited:

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
How in the f*ck can a girl who gossips, chases after trends, jumps from one boyfriend to another and can't say 'no' to many things provide value to my life?

Read: The Rational Male.

OT: I constantly have the feeling that I'm not sacrificing enough.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
Well put. #joy

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Don't.
Get at least six.
Yea sleep is one of those that I don't understand how people do without. Six hours seems to be my minimum.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
The only new friends I make are business related. Long term relationships/dating don't interest me since it takes time away from my businesses. I'm 22 and I will most likely stay single until my 30s and marrying in my late 30s.

This is really interesting. I seem to make more friends wherever I go...I should learn from you @JohnZ123 ! Keep new friends to business only, I like it. Then there's less people trying to drag you out into fun things which then probably makes you feel like you're sacrificing even more.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.