The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are the THREE most IMPORTANT entrepreneurial lessons you can pass on?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Here are my THREE:

1) The NEED is the most important part of your business, and you will have a very hard time setting aside your ego to determine if the "NEED" really exists.

2)Invest as little time and money into things as possible: whether entire businesses, products, or features until you've determined they are viable opportunities. I've spent WEEKS on product features that customers never used.

3) Delegate tasks as soon as you can. I spent half a year without an accountant or lawyer and 1 year without an employee to help with day to day tasks. Don't forget that your time is the most valuable asset.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1) NEED is the table top of CE-N-TS.

2) NEED can be created by VALUE SKEW, sometimes just one attribute.

3) Your NEED must hit the right A) Audience with the right B) Messaging and C) with the right REACH. Failure of one of those might false-flag failure, when you did in fact, address a need.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
An interesting story: I started doing some self reflection on how much I've learned actually building a business, thinking "WOW- I wish I knew this back in the day!".

But here's the ODD thing: I reviewed some of the material I studied such as MFL and other resources and realized in my early days, I learned ALL of this from people like MJ but oddly didn't follow it or realize it's importance.

I think in our early days, we're inundated with SO much information about entrepreneurship, yet have a hard time picking out the most useful information.

So I'd love to know - for some of us who are still learning. What are the three things you learned and wish others would put more focus on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Cash flow, then growth, then profit
Dedicate the largest portion of your time to selling
Fire them the first time you think about firing them

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
1. The most valuable resource/tool you have in your entrepreneurial career is your mind. Far more valuable than any connections or money you may have or not have or any other excuse you can come up with as to why you are not financially successful.

2. We have to develop and become experts in awareness. We have to be self-aware to remove any self-sabotaging behaviors and any mental roadblocks to understanding problems in our minds and in the real world. We are so unaware that we think we don't need to be aware, that's how unaware we are. Mankind is asleep. We also have to be aware of the external world, primarily its economic markets. Knowing the dynamics of buyers and sellers in whatever field you spotted an opportunity.

3. Number three you have to be an expert at identifying problems and finding solutions to those problems. This goes back to awareness and our mind. The solution to the problem is often hidden deeply from our own awareness and the general population awareness. Which is a good thing because we wanna get to the 1% of mental/awareness capacity so we can be competitive. Cognitive structures are held together by definitions, axioms and propositions, if we haven't found the solution something is wrong with these foundations.

These are all things I wish I knew when I was 20. Never taught this by college or my parents.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Need was mentioned already but I'm gonna expand upon it with a story from Gary Halbert (one of the best copywriters of all time)

He was teaching a class about business and he asked the students, if you had to open up a burger shop tomorrow, what would be the one advantage you would want to have over every other burger spot?

The students said the usual answers:

"The best ingredients"
"The best atmosphere/ambience"
"The best menu"
"The best chef/recipes"

He told them that he would absolutely destroy all their business with his advantage.

Puzzled, they all were dying to know what advantage he would pick.

He turned to them and said "A STARVING CROWD!"

---

That's one of the many pieces of wisdom Gary dropped in his incredibly small yet insanely valuable body of work The Boron Letters.

So yeah, I'm gonna have to go with:

1. Need

2. Being super open and never assuming anything. You are never 100% right nor wrong; you're always somewhere in the middle.

3. Physical/mental health must be taken care of... if you're a wreck emotionally and physically and you don't know WHY you want to be an entrepreneur in the first place, you're gonna quit. You have to have your underlying mental structure in place.

I don't know if these are the most important 3 really.

It's like asking what my favorite movie or food is. I have dozens.

But I hope these 3 help.

no_tie_anymore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 30, 2018
Germany BaWü
1. real need - physicall or emotional

2. customer need - not yours

3. be productive instead of busy

Thats the three things I`v learned the hart way (near 7000 € and a couple of months) because my first idea to built an emotional value in the suplement industrie dosen`t work. And I realiced it dosen`t look like that I can change somthing about that because its no costomer need. So I have to go back to Unscripted chapter 35 to find Fastlane ideas.
#StartToday

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
1) Opportunity/need is found in the problems.
2) Can't grow without taking risks.
3) What has value is worth paying for.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
and doubting myself.

I still struggle with this.

I always try to have insights into things that are not generally known. I try to make it my competitive advantage. But It is difficult to believe something or think in a certain way if 99% of people don't.

It's kind of like what Peter thiel talked about in zero to one. Success is based off secrets. It's the question he asks everyone: "What do you believe is true that 99% disagree?"

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
1. The most valuable resource/tool you have in your entrepreneurial career is your mind. Far more valuable than any connections or money you may have or not have or any other excuse you can come up with as to why you are not financially successful.

Lots of good answers so far, but wanted to highlight this. The biggest failure I had in every early business was my own mind - doing it for the wrong reasons, underestimating the effort, and doubting myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.