The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
I have a basic question. It would be awesome if you answer this question from your own view as a customer and/or your own experience as a sale expert.

Why do People buy something? What is the motivation to buy a product/service?

I will concretize this question a little bit more.

For example.

There is no evolutionary need to eat at McDonald's. The evolutionary need is to eat. So why some people feel overhyped spending their hard earned money at McDonald's and get low value of quality? Even when they know the food is worthless.

Is it because of the taste or of the advertisement holding a little piece of gold in your hands in form of a burger?

So how to tell the people that they are holding a little piece of gold and not a box of worthless food?

I want to understand the customer behaviour better and maybe you can help me Guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a basic question. It would be awesome if you answer this question from your own view as a customer and/or your own experience as a sale expert.

Generally.

Because it has become more painful not buying than buying.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

There speaks the voice of authority. Someone who is paid to make it painful for people not to buy. :smile2:

I buy something for two reasons, impulse (I see it, I immediately want it) or I convince myself (with the guiding hand of people like Lex) that I need it. That it will enhance my life in some way.

The difference between an impulse buy and a considered purchase is usually based predominantly on price, but also availability (an impulse purchase needs instant gratification, I won't be likely to make an impulse buy if I have to wait 30 days for delivery).

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
There speaks the voice of authority. Someone who is paid to make it painful for people not to buy. :smile2:

I buy something for two reasons, impulse (I see it, I immediately want it) or I convince myself (with the guiding hand of people like Lex) that I need it. That it will enhance my life in some way.

The difference between an impulse buy and a considered purchase is usually based predominantly on price, but also availability (an impulse purchase needs instant gratification, I won't be likely to make an impulse buy if I have to wait 30 days for delivery).
My rule is "Is it under $5? I'll take it!"

D

DeletedUser0287

For example.

There is no evolutionary need to eat at McDonald's. The evolutionary need is to eat. So why some people feel overhyped spending their hard earned money at McDonald's and get low value of quality? Even when they know the food is worthless.

Is it because of the taste or of the advertisement holding a little piece of gold in your hands in form of a burger?

So how to tell the people that they are holding a little piece of gold and not a box of worthless food?

I want to understand the customer behaviour better and maybe you can help me Guys.

The value McDonald’s provides is convenience, tastes good, save time and money. Some open 24/hr increasing convenience even more. Also for some people bulking, it is good because it fits their macros.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Because the product/service solves a need or want. Human desires.

McDonald's : I buy their food because it tastes delicious (I know folks will not agree but it's true for me). Whenever I walk past Mac, the fragrance of the food takes over my soul.....

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Is there something specific you're struggling to sell? If so, a little more detail could help us understand so we can give you more specific suggestions.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
This is a fantastic book about how mate signaling affects our consumer behavior. Everything that we do, everything that we buy all affects our ability to attract mates. Written by Dr. Geoffrey Miller(Professor of Evolutionary Psychology at the University of New Mexico)

51LQmu7FB1L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
The only reason we buy anything is twofold:

1) We believe what we buy will make our life better
2) We believe what we buy will make us feel better

Those aren't logical reasons as much as emotional. That's why whenever you sell something, it needs to start with hooking their emotion and backing it up with logic. NOT vice versa or you've lost them.

Plus, it's not just for selling/buying something, it's every decision we make. We make 35,000 decisions per day (actual number). Our emotions guide us first, and we struggle to reign in our emotions with logical decisions.

Every decision is based on our 'best thinking at the time.' Why did that guy rob a bank? His best thinking at the time told him that. His hindsight says it was dumb.

EXAMPLES:

1) I bought a stick of gum because it tastes good. Makes me feel better. = Impulse buy (low cost)
2) I paid that fine from the policeman. Don't want to lose my license so my life is better = Selfish decision (low cost)
3) I donated to the church to help others because I feel better = Emotion backed by logic ("this is the right thing to do")
4) I bought new light bulbs today. Yes for light, but so the next time the living room lights go out, I won't have to hear my kids or spouse complain = Emotion with logic looking ahead
5) I bought MJ's book. Both to make myself feel like I'm better than others, plus it could change my life = Emotion backed by logic (low cost)
6) I bought a house. Make our life better and feel better about myself = Emotion backed by lots of thought (big purchase)
7) I bought a consulting program back when I had a negative net worth. Made me feel better and my life would be better = Emotion then talking myself into spending money I didn't have (big purchase)
8) I'm about to paint the outside of my house. Makes my life better because my wife is happier plus makes me feel better because my neighbors can see it. = Emotion backed by logic that our house will be worth more (big purchase)

--------
We ultimately purchase to make ourselves feel good. That's why the best time to sell someone your product is right after they bought something else from you.

After I buy one watch, my immediate impulse is to buy another.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

For example.

Your McDonald’s analogy is interesting.

The marketing does make you want that little box of gold AND your biology makes you crave the protein, fat, and sugar for survival.

But generally, people buy things to increase Health, Wealth, or Hapiness.

A Big Mac releases dopamine in the brain = Hapiness.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Hedonism. Just learnt this word recently thought I'd use it somewhere.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Aside from the big one, value, a lessor known reason for buying is something affirms our identity.

Someone who buys a Lambo isn't buying value, but buying an identity confirmation.
Someone who buys a $50K watch, isn't buying time, but an identity confirmation.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
To change the way you feel.

D

Deleted50669

Hard question to answer as a cover-all. Some purchases are learned habits, others happen as one-off needs arise. You can probably answer it yourself reflecting on your spending habits.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

For example.

Any reason I would eat at the big M is because I was conditioned to eat there. lol I come from a small town. Back in the day, our youth group, young life, school programs, or even as and adult, it was the meeting place. It becomes a habit. And you just naturally go there without thinking about it.

We have this one place called Rays and it's better than Mcdonald's. They're real small. Yet, it has been known for three or four generations. Every one eats there. You just go in and grab the food and leave. Our town has a vote every year for everyone in the area which is the best business for what ever business. They come out with the list and who wins. They get a plaque to hang on the wall. It's also a tourist town. You see these plaques and everyone knows where to go in town for the best service for just about everything. Than it becomes bigger because you have tourists telling other tourists. Especially when Coast Guard Season.

There's various reasons why people buy something.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Well it got embedded again. Sorry. lol

Any reason I would eat at the big M is because I was conditioned to eat there. lol I come from a small town. Back in the day, our youth group, young life, school programs, or even as and adult, it was the meeting place. It becomes a habit. And you just naturally go there without thinking about it.

We have this one place called Rays and it's better than Mcdonald's. They're real small. Yet, it has been known for three or four generations. Every one eats there. You just go in and grab the food and leave. Our town has a vote every year for everyone in the area which is the best business for what ever business. They come out with the list and who wins. They get a plaque to hang on the wall. It's also a tourist town. You see these plaques and everyone knows where to go in town for the best service for just about everything. Than it becomes bigger because you have tourists telling other tourists. Especially when Coast Guard Season.

There's various reasons why people buy something.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
You are calling McDonald's food worthless, which is untrue as the market shows it fills a need.

Everyone knows what kind of food you are getting from McDonald's. So does McDonald's they are very aware of what there customer's want and trend to.

McDonald's also offers familiarity, can go to any McDonald's anywhere in the world and you know what to expect.

You might value there food as worthless, which is fine. Seems you are putting your values onto the customers instead of looking for reason's why they go to McDonald's. Can create a huge list of reason's why.

It's the same as saying why do people waste there time and money spending days traveling on a greyhound bus when don't they know can fly first class on a plane and be there in hours.

Everyone makes choices based on what they think is best at the time to fill there need be it a real need or a want that they perceive as a need.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Thank you all for this huge help. I really appreciate it!

Let's keep the important informations together.

How do you make your customers feel that pain? I need to understand it ++

So my product should be cheap and fast available. And I can trigger an impulse buy ++

The only reason we buy anything is twofold:

1) We believe what we buy will make our life better
2) We believe what we buy will make us feel better

Those aren't logical reasons as much as emotional. That's why whenever you sell something, it needs to start with hooking their emotion and backing it up with logic. NOT vice versa or you've lost them.
--------
We ultimately purchase to make ourselves feel good. That's why the best time to sell someone your product is right after they bought something else from you.

After I buy one watch, my immediate impulse is to buy another.

Keep them emotionally hooked and don't use logical explaination why they need this product. Only. You need this product cause you know yoù love it.

Interesting idea. Maybe thats why McDonald's has the slogan: I Love it.

Cheap impulse buy triggers to more product selling ++

Aside from the big one, value, a lessor known reason for buying is something affirms our identity.

Someone who buys a Lambo isn't buying value, but buying an identity confirmation.
Someone who buys a $50K watch, isn't buying time, but an identity confirmation.

It's about identity why someone buy something. Like cool kids are wearing sneakers from the Brand X.

An average guy buys this sneakers and become the popular guy all girls want of his school.

Of course not in true. But as an advertising strategy. ++

Hard question to answer as a cover-all. Some purchases are learned habits, others happen as one-off needs arise. You can probably answer it yourself reflecting on your spending habits.

The more often somebody uses my product the more important it gets for him. Of course with the lowest cost of willpower. Like opening the smart phone and go to Instagram.

Is there something specific you're struggling to sell? If so, a little more detail could help us understand so we can give you more specific suggestions.

Right now I'm building a Web Page and this web page should promote the contact between a Coach and a Choachee as fast and as cheap as possible.

It's something a personally know about because I also have experience as a Coach.

For better market research I also stay in contact with other Choaches and try to find out what they need. All their needs I try to include in my product. If it's possible.

To find people who want to do the work for money is not the difficulty. I can also apply a monthly membership for 9.99$ and they will pay for it. As Iong as they have financial profit from it. Of course. Even then I can charge 10% for every coaching session that has taken place. Like Amazon.

But.

To find people who spend that money much more. That's why I opened that thread.

My Customers all feel pain in different ways. The one guy wants to be more successful. The other girl more shaped. But I don't know how to trigger this pain perfectly.

Why?

In my experience poeple are more willing to pay 200$ for new sneakers and stay hungry. Than for a coaching which can improve their lifes .

Why?

Because improvising his life requires huge cost of willpower. It is something all people want. But only a few are really doing it. Many guys want the same body physics like Arnold Schwarzenegger. But the most prefare to play PuBG.

With the advices from this thread I have a better understanding what my customers want.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
So my product should be cheap and fast available. And I can trigger an impulse buy ++

I wouldn't go down that route. Cheap = easy to replicate therefore has low barriers to entry. Also if you are aiming for producing a cheap product you are chasing the wrong user group (those that see price as the most important factor). These are not your ideal customers I promise you.

Another major downside with a cheap product is marketing. If you are selling a $5 of $10 item how are you going to economically drive traffic to it? You can't buy Google Ad's and you can't buy Facebook and Instagram ads.

If you can't drive traffic how do you scale? If you have to rely on Amazon you are toast with a cheap product that sells well as everyone will end up selling it and it will just be a race to the bottom.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
To find people who spend that money much more. That's why I opened that thread.

My Customers all feel pain in different ways. The one guy wants to be more successful. The other girl more shaped. But I don't know how to trigger this pain perfectly.
If you get a fee for every session, send out reminders or prompts if people haven't had a session in a while. Just like I get, what seems like daily, reminders when I haven't purchased from various websites, or the "here's what's showing in NETFLIX" emails.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
I wouldn't go down that route. Cheap = easy to replicate therefore has low barriers to entry. Also if you are aiming for producing a cheap product you are chasing the wrong user group (those that see price as the most important factor). These are not your ideal customers I promise you.

Another major downside with a cheap product is marketing. If you are selling a $5 of $10 item how are you going to economically drive traffic to it? You can't buy Google Ad's and you can't buy Facebook and Instagram ads.

If you can't drive traffic how do you scale? If you have to rely on Amazon you are toast with a cheap product that sells well as everyone will end up selling it and it will just be a race to the bottom.

You are totally right.

With cheap I don't mean selling coachings for 5$. I mean cheap in relation to my competitors.

I have to take care of a good balance between customers' invest and the coaches' income. It would make no sense in my opinion when the same guy makes the same offer for a coaching like on the competitor's website.

I know how hard it can be working as a coach. I want to support them. Giving Value. So I want to deliver them a high quality option to make financial profit with low expenditure.

In the first step it is about to reach as many people as possible.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Simon Sinek has some good videos on "WHY". He has branded an entire spiel on "start with why". Has become a bit cliche slapping "why" on everything but early videos are very good.

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark
In Cashvertising, a book on copywriting, Whitman presents the following desires as biologically programmed:

1. Survival, enjoyment of life, life extension
  2. Enjoyment of food and beverages
  3. Freedom from fear, pain and danger
  4. Sexual companionship
  5. Comfortable living conditions
  6. To be superior. Winning, keeping up with the Joneses
  7. Care and protection of loved ones
  8. Social approval

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London

For example.

Because I can picture myself using it/eating it and it provides me satisfaction so owning it should be even better. Also because I see people I can relate to buying it and being happy about it.

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
May 24, 2017
Spain
You are totally right.

With cheap I don't mean selling coachings for 5$. I mean cheap in relation to my competitors.

I have to take care of a good balance between customers' invest and the coaches' income. It would make no sense in my opinion when the same guy makes the same offer for a coaching like on the competitor's website.

I know how hard it can be working as a coach. I want to support them. Giving Value. So I want to deliver them a high quality option to make financial profit with low expenditure.

In the first step it is about to reach as many people as possible.
Be careful with that, if I were looking for coach services and I see one that is cheaper than the rest I would wonder why.
I would look for different ways to differentiate yourself than cost.
How do people choose their coaches? I do not know but my gut tells me liking the style of the person is crucial, so maybe find a way to have a glimpse of what you have to offer, maybe first session for free or at a big discount or something like that.
But I would not recommend to differentiate yourself just on price, cheaper is not always better.

Enviado desde mi SM-G920T mediante Tapatalk

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Whether it's B2B or B2C it's always "what's in it for me?" The problem is people don't understand how to answer that question and try to sell on the tangible things, whereas people buy the intangible things, and there is a large psychological and biological aspect.

People REALLY eat at McDonalds to satisfy a craving for fat and sugar that is ingrained into our biology - as cave people we would hoard sugar and fat because we never knew when we would get it next. However, within reason we don't just eat whatever sugar and fat is available - so McDonalds is trying to re-brand to make it more acceptable to eat there (McCafe, Artisan Burgers, etc). As well, operationally they know that they have to be fast, have inventory, etc.

Apple for example, satisfies a need we have to feel like we have the latest and greatest, most intuitive technology that will always work as expected. We fear missing out on the latest iPhone.

In my sales for example (b2b software), even though I'm dealing with someone who is representing a business- that person has hopes and dreams. I ask "what's in it for them?", what is their personality and how do I best communicate how we can help them achieve their dreams with our software?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.