The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

What are the advantages of being German?

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
it is.. construction work is booming (still...) but next to nobody want to learn these jobs nowadays (cause the pay isnt good. dont know why these companys dont pay more... most "blue collar" jobs are of the "we always did it that way" and the "when i was young it was good.. then it is good today" way of thinking
customer pays 50€, 19% vat->42, health insurance, levy, machine-hour 50%->21, man wants to earn 17€, rest is 4€, minus income tax =2€. If you have a roofers business, you earn 2 € for your workers hour. For your work to manage.
And 17€ for the worker is .... ridiculous.

A dream.....

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
you have to have the residence out of Europe to have the advantages of not to be here.
100% bull.

I started out without any residence out of Europe. You are probably limiting yourself with your mindset.

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 11, 2016
Coming from Austria this is my point of view:
  • almost no cost for university (which is pretty big compared to other western countrys)
  • as @Andy Black already mentioned, the german market is usually behind the english speaking market
  • no earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes or things like that - pretty good climate over all
  • medical care is pretty much free for everyone
  • extremely good quality of drinking water - where else could you get that?
It's easy to only focus on the disadvantages, but I think there are pros and cons in every country.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
100% bull.

I started out without any residence out of Europe. You are probably limiting yourself with your mindset.
yes, maybe your right! but restricting laws speek about "if you have your residence in..., than...."
but maybe I m a bit too frustrated about some things.

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Whoops - googled that and David Hasselhoff is actually American, only with a German background.

I always thought he was born in Germany.
They still love him though!

Sie lieben die Hoff!

or

Sie lieben der Hoff!

or

Sie lieben das Hoff!

Nobody knows, not even the Germans, and if they do know, they can't tell you why. Ah the mysteries of Der/Die/Das. Lolz :-D

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
As we are compatriots, I ll try to make just a brainstorm:

Well, maybe, you can go to America and open a Bavarian Tavern and sell Schweinshaxe mit Knödel und Obaztn. Or a kiosk with Würstel mit Kraut (sausages with cabbage).
When you are good at all, you can sell franchises.

Btw. I m looking, too. But the disadvantages are much faster coming into my mind. I only say Dsgvo! But if you are a lawyer, it could be a bonanza, too.

In Germany you get everything very cheap, so selling something cheaper is nearly not possible. Hard life for sellers as everyone searches for hours to get anything as cheap as possible. And more in times of internet.
Also German cars, my niece who lives in New York tells me that there is a good market for VW/BMW especially, and the mark up will allow you to make a profit.

MπR

Contributor
Sep 30, 2019
Germany
If Airbnb and Uber were invented in Germany. We would never have them. Too much bureaucracy and regulation.
Thats unfortunately so true. Germany is WAY to overregulated.
There are so many stupid laws and regulations which make it really entrepreneur unfriendly.

From GDPR to forced (and mandatory to be paid depending on your revenue) memberships in organistations like Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Environmental compliance laws, there are so many pickpockets that want to have a peace of the pie. It cripples a lot people before the can really grow.

Taxsystem is a catastrophe.
And now since the politicians have gone full retard on the Greta Hype they use this to introduce even more taxes and regulations.
Killing a lot companies in the energy sector(switching from atom & coal before even having an alternative) and automobil sector in the process. So industry will be going downhill quickly. Thats also show in the sacking of tens of thousands of people in this sectors.

More and more highly skilled people are fed up with this and are leaving. Which will increse the situation.

And while the infrastructure in Germany is going more and more to the shitter A. Merkel is giving out money to the whole world.

For example

Reactions: Ing

BizyDad

Know Thyself
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
Whoops - googled that and David Hasselhoff is actually American, only with a German background.

I always thought he was born in Germany.
Don't worry, no American is going to be upset with you. :rofl:

MπR

Contributor
Sep 30, 2019
Germany
Coming from Austria this is my point of view:
  • medical care is pretty much free for everyone

The "free" is a myth. You pay it via taxes and other social security contributions. And then you have to pay additional payments if you go to the doctor or the pharmacy.

Average-tax-wedge.png

MπR

Contributor
Sep 30, 2019
Germany
Last edited:

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
The "free" is a myth. You pay it via taxes and other social security contributions. And then you have to pay additional payments if you go to the doctor or the pharmacy.

View attachment 28874
a short excurse at medicals:

In Germany the employee automatically pays 14.6% of income and another 14.6% pays the employer.
If the employee earns more than about 50000€, he can make a privat insurance instead. Its cheaper, when young, more expensive when older. at 54, I pay about 10000€ per year. Half of it pays the employer.

What is right: medical care is ery good and everyone has that, because its mandatory,

whats wrong : its of course not free at all!

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
They still love him though!

Sie lieben die Hoff!

or

Sie lieben der Hoff!

or

Sie lieben das Hoff!

Nobody knows, not even the Germans, and if they do know, they can't tell you why. Ah the mysteries of Der/Die/Das. Lolz :-D
No, in German its not that easy!

Its : Sie lieben den Hoff! Besause hes male and its akkusativ!;)

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
There are so many stupid laws and regulations which make it really entrepreneur unfriendly.

From GDPR to forced (and mandatory to be paid depending on your revenue) memberships in organistations like Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Environmental compliance laws, there are so many pickpockets that want to have a peace of the pie. It cripples a lot people before the can really grow.

And now since the politicians have gone full retard on the Greta Hype they use this to introduce even more taxes and regulations.
Killing a lot companies in the energy sector(switching from atom & coal before even having an alternative) and automobil sector in the process. So industry will be going downhill quickly. Thats also show in the sacking of tens of thousands of people in this sectors.

More and more highly skilled people are fed up with this and are leaving. Which will increse the situation.

And while the infrastructure in Germany is going more and more to the shitter A. Merkel is giving out money to the whole world.

For example
Yes, these are the reasons, why here often Germans ask questions and lateron it seems, that they don’t care about given advices.
often its just nearly impossible to follow.
always a high intrance criteria though!

cy-

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Are you familiar with "the German Brothers"?

The Samwer brothers, who I heard of many years ago, basically take popular concepts in e.g. America and they create it for Europe/Germany and sell it back to the company(ies) they "copied" it from.

In other words, what exists in e.g. America that doesn't exist in Germany?

Find as many things as you can, then list them all.

From there look at how each could be executed and then start doing some research on your market to determine if it is something that the Germans demand.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Ragulations!
I see it in that way: if you want to adress people in US, you make a wesite and just do it.
When you do that in Ger, you first of all will pay a lot of penalty.
Its not that easy here!
I do that all the time - no penalties... you just should know what is a go and what is a no go. there are shitty "penalties" in the US as well (ADA Lawsuits against Websites e.g.)

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 11, 2016

View attachment 28874
Well that may be true.
But I don't know any person my age that had to take on an absurd amount of debt for "education", while it's pretty common in north america.
So yeah, instead of taking on debt at a young age I think I'd rather take the taxes (although I think both is pretty bad)

MπR

Contributor
Sep 30, 2019
Germany
Well that may be true.
But I don't know any person my age that had to take on an absurd amount of debt for "education", while it's pretty common in north america.
So yeah, instead of taking on debt at a young age I think I'd rather take the taxes (although I think both is pretty bad)
I was talking about the healthcare system.

And you´re right. Getting that much in debt at a young age might be a burden for the whole life.

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
No, in German its not that easy!

Its : Sie lieben den Hoff! Besause hes male and its akkusativ!;)
Lolz, you are bringing back many German grammar nightmares for me!! Why did you have to introduce male, plural accusative??

I have asked many German people how I can work out in advance which form to use, like maybe some clues like in Spanish or Italian with word endings. They always just tell me that they just know, and can't give me any guidelines.

So, I just guess, and use whichever sounds good to me. I'm sure I sound funny to most Germans when I go there :happy:

• Haha

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Are you familiar with "the German Brothers"?

The Samwer brothers, who I heard of many years ago, basically take popular concepts in e.g. America and they create it for Europe/Germany and sell it back to the company(ies) they "copied" it from.

In other words, what exists in e.g. America that doesn't exist in Germany?

Find as many things as you can, then list them all.

From there look at how each could be executed and then start doing some research on your market to determine if it is something that the Germans demand.
Those guys are A-holes, they basically copy an idea that you haven't patented in Germany and then try and blackmail you into buying it from them. I think the first one they did was PayPal.

By the sounds of it though, they have huge budgets and always did. They probably need a good amount to use for legal fees.

Knuffix

New Contributor
Jul 25, 2014
Lolz, you are bringing back many German grammar nightmares for me!! Why did you have to introduce male, plural accusative??

I have asked many German people how I can work out in advance which form to use, like maybe some clues like in Spanish or Italian with word endings. They always just tell me that they just know, and can't give me any guidelines.

So, I just guess, and use whichever sounds good to me. I'm sure I sound funny to most Germans when I go there :happy:
There are really no set-in-stone guidelines mostly for these types of situations in Germany. In fact, even many Germans make lots of grammar mistakes daily because they do not focus on speaking correctly, so don't worry about sounding funny to most Germans.

On the other hand, Germans are quick to change to speaking English with you if they feel that you are struggling with speaking German ~fluently~ :-D

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
On the other hand, Germans are quick to change to speaking English with you if they feel that you are struggling with speaking German ~fluently~ :-D
For this reason I want to learn even more! :)

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
-Work Ethic.
-Strong passport.
-Doing business with Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg (rich countries).
-Good reputation from being from a strong country (this can sound silly but when you tell people you are from a rich country they see you differentely, if you do not believe me next thing you meet someone tell them you are from a poor country and see the difference).
-In demand language. This can be useful to bond with people or become a language teacher if you wish too ( or more fastlane develop your own german language school lol).

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
customer pays 50€, 19% vat->42, health insurance, levy, machine-hour 50%->21, man wants to earn 17€, rest is 4€, minus income tax =2€. If you have a roofers business, you earn 2 € for your workers hour. For your work to manage.
And 17€ for the worker is .... ridiculous.

A dream.....
Don't forget the church tax! Oh and solidarity Tax on top

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
There are pros and cons in Germany, which can always be seen as cons and pros if you want to capitalize on it.

1) Germans have a gazillion bank holidays, these on top of normal vacation holidays (totals around 45 days per year here in Nordrhein-Westfalen). How they get anything done is a miracle to me.
Look at the personalized photo sock business as an example, they sell as much in the weeks up to Christmas as they do the whole rest of the year. Can you capitalize on all these German national holidays?

2) Germans for the most part tend to be affluent with their money (feinschmeckers) when compared to other surrounding nations. They eat out frequently, drink as much beer as the Irish and stay in a hotels 10 minutes down the road from their house because... no idea, seems crazy to me. They prefer spending their cash on quality goods rather crap imports. Money is power in Germany, for example one's car is your status symbol for ALOT of people, can you exploit the symbols of affluence?

3) Mortgages for a second house are really cheap (compared to the Netherlands), houses are bloody cheap when compared to the Netherlands. Buy-to-Let is also possible. Can you exploit this?

4) you don't actually need to cook a bratwurst, still amazes me :)

Cyberseraph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 18, 2013
Seattle, WA
I'm German and left Germany almost 5 years ago. The high taxation and regulations were driving me mad. That being said, Germany is awesome if you are visiting as a tourist and you have no involvement whatsoever with the authorities. I'm visiting 1-2 a year and love it this way. Also, all successful German entrepreneurs that I personally know, have left and are living in Asia, Bulgaria, Dubai or other low tax and business friendly countries. Personally, I don't see many advantages in being German, other than the strong passport that allows me to travel to almost any country.

Cyberseraph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 18, 2013
Seattle, WA
PS: Sorry for the double post, it was unintentional.

Any other German entrepreneurs here?

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
High engineering standards. I wish there was more german tech. Why doesn't germany makes smartphones and routers...

MattPo

I only live once
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 17, 2018
Malta

For example

I agree with you on many points here!
Germany is highly overregulated and the law is king everywhere! Even in first line of the national anthem: "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit" (translated: "Unity and Law and (then) Freedom).
Translated into reality, it means that you have to comply with any law before you even start your own business or to work as a free-lancer and there are many! Believe me, I was there and it was one of the reasons why I left this country as a German. There plenty of lawyers whose business model is the following: to give you fines and that as much as possible! Fines for small mistakes in GDPR forms on your homepage or because your Impressum is not the correct one in your Amazon profile. It happened to one of my friends even that a lawyer has registered his Amazon brand, one week before he did it himself! The result was that he wanted to have all revenues from this brand, because "he was first" ? As a young company / start-up, you will always lose if you need to hire a German lawyer for min 300€/ h in order to compete with this corporate lawyer who is doing it for nothing.....

Besides the good thinks like strong engineering and hard skills, I would like to add that Germans are missing on emotional intelligence. I had to move out of Germany to realize it.

Cheers from Malta
Mateusz

MattR82

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Perth
An old girlfriend of mine was German, but her parents were from Myanmar and emigrated to Bremerhaven before she was born.

Her dad moved back to Myanmar when their economy started opening up a few years ago to sell German products he would send over. Although that is a bit of a more unique situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I bought 4 of his courses about freelancing / copywriting. I'm halfway through the first. The...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom