The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What are the advantages of being German?

ThePowerOfStory

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 8, 2019
Germany
Hi there,

I'm from Germany. From a global perspective, what are the advantages of being German? What advantages does that offer me that people from other countries don't have?

I came up with:

-I could look for business partners in other countries who want to import German products in their country
-I could look for business partners in other countries who can help me import products from their country of origin
-I could open up restaurants in other countries with German food

There has to be more! What can you add to that list?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hi there,

I'm from Germany. From a global perspective, what are the advantages of being German? What advantages does that offer me that people from other countries don't have?

I came up with:

-I could look for business partners in other countries who want to import German products in their country
-I could look for business partners in other countries who can help me import products from their country of origin
-I could open up restaurants in other countries with German food

There has to be more! What can you add to that list?
As we are compatriots, I ll try to make just a brainstorm:

Well, maybe, you can go to America and open a Bavarian Tavern and sell Schweinshaxe mit Knödel und Obaztn. Or a kiosk with Würstel mit Kraut (sausages with cabbage).
When you are good at all, you can sell franchises.

Btw. I m looking, too. But the disadvantages are much faster coming into my mind. I only say Dsgvo! But if you are a lawyer, it could be a bonanza, too.

In Germany you get everything very cheap, so selling something cheaper is nearly not possible. Hard life for sellers as everyone searches for hours to get anything as cheap as possible. And more in times of internet.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 8, 2019
This is an international Forum which is located in the US. What kind of an answer are expecting?

If Airbnb and Uber were invented in Germany. We would never have them. Too much bureaucracy and regulation.

You have a good intention to learn more about your local market. But you ask the wrong question. Ask yourself what German Buyers are looking for. Nobody is going to make some business with you. Because you are German, if they can't make any profit with you.

Create value and other people are more willing to invest in you. It doesn't matter where you from.

Champion

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Am really interested to hear what more people think about this! haha :D

I also live in Germany and to tell the truth, having lived in 3 different cities so far, I find it so different depending on WHERE in Germany you live.

I guess its the same in US.

MoreValue

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Sep 9, 2018
From product perspective, Germany has a strong positive perception with engineered products. Same with Japan.

Ooo...wow made in Germany and Japan!

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
- Fast roads YESSS ;)
- Octoberfest ahhhmm... ok, good for business
- The hoff whats that???
- Above-average football world cup performance Doesn t matter at all

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What’s the state of digital marketing in Germany? If it’s not up with the US, then can you take bleeding edge (or even commonplace) online practice in the US and introduce them into Germany with the necessary twist to make it work?

BizyDad

Know Thyself
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
You have a good intention to learn more about your local market. But you ask the wrong question. Ask yourself what German Buyers are looking for.
This is a great point.

Since you asked...

My perception of the German people is they are trustworthy, diligent, patient and reserved. Very polite. I like how they treat their kids and how the kids respect their parents and others.

If a German says they will do it, they will do it. Also, you don't want to make a German mad. And you don't want to challenge them to a drinking contest... unless you are Polish. :smuggy:

My perception comes from serving German tourists when I was younger and working in restaurants.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I've always have a good impression of Germany as a whole.
Germany : German engineering, german food (desserts and sausages and MEATS), and especially, German castles. The castles there are definitely the most WTF stuff I've seen in this world.
The girls are cute too but let's not go there.

My impression of many European companies is that they're hard to work with if you're not from the EU region. It seems they prefer to do import/export within EU itself.
It's actually a lot harder for a non-European to get access to EU companies compared to US/Chinese companies. That region seems closed off.

Since Germany has far easier access to the rest of Europe, maybe you could consider sourcing hard to items that are specific to Europe, import them into Germany, and make it easy for non-EU folks (either B2B or B2C) to buy those products.

Case in point: herbs and spices. I wanted to import some of these from Europe previously but it was either way overpriced or they don't ship out of EU. Perhaps due to some regulatory laws?

Another idea is to go to another part of the world where people are not too familiar with German culture, and sell the exoticism of Germany to them. A German niche shop that sells all-things German: souvenirs, desserts, gifts, books. Let it be a hub for all the expat Germans in that area to gather as well to bring life and attention. German songs that play all-day in the shop to attract curious passer-bys. Let them experience Germany without having to go to Germany. You know, Little Germany in South Korea. Or Little Germany in Shenzhen province of China.
Your daily uniform / attire will be the traditional German man's wear to make the German experience even more authentic and get eyeballs:

Like this British tailor guy:

I also have another idea but I think it's better not to post it here as it's somewhat "controversial" and will probably only work in Japan.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've always have a good impression of Germany as a whole.
Germany : German engineering, german food (desserts and sausages and MEATS), and especially, German castles. The castles there are definitely the most WTF stuff I've seen in this world.
The girls are cute too but let's not go there.

My impression of many European companies is that they're hard to work with if you're not from the EU region. It seems they prefer to do import/export within EU itself.
It's actually a lot harder for a non-European to get access to EU companies compared to US/Chinese companies. That region seems closed off.

Since Germany has far easier access to the rest of Europe, maybe you could consider sourcing hard to items that are specific to Europe, import them into Germany, and make it easy for non-EU folks (either B2B or B2C) to buy those products.

Case in point: herbs and spices. I wanted to import some of these from Europe previously but it was either way overpriced or they don't ship out of EU. Perhaps due to some regulatory laws?

Another idea is to go to another part of the world where people are not too familiar with German culture, and sell the exoticism of Germany to them. A German niche shop that sells all-things German: souvenirs, desserts, gifts, books. Let it be a hub for all the expat Germans in that area to gather as well to bring life and attention. German songs that play all-day in the shop to attract curious passer-bys. Let them experience Germany without having to go to Germany. You know, Little Germany in South Korea. Or Little Germany in Shenzhen province of China.
Interesting. How big is the expat community? What do they miss the most?

Roli

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Ich liebe Deutschland! Mein bruder woehnst im die sudwest :)

As far as business opportunities go, the first and best advantage is that you speak great English, and then the famous German sense of order should come in handy. However you (and other German residents) would be better placed than any of us to really work out what your advantages are....

My fave things about Germany are:

The Bavarian accent.

Beautiful language structure such as; "Kann ich mitt Herr Schmidt spreke bitte?"

Smooth roads.

Tasty bratwuerst

Ridiculously long compound words such as Die Wirtschaftforderungsgesellschaft :-D

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
- The hoff
Whoops - googled that and David Hasselhoff is actually American, only with a German background.

I always thought he was born in Germany.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
we have a very strong passport and we can travel/work/live anywhere from sweden to estonia to portugal to sicily without any restrictions - and free trade within that union

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
What’s the state of digital marketing in Germany? If it’s not up with the US, then can you take bleeding edge (or even commonplace) online practice in the US and introduce them into Germany with the necessary twist to make it work?
Shitty Websites and/or shitty Facebook Ads everywhere... Potential is endless. Lot of close minded People who "do it as they always did"... but also a lot of people looking for help.
90% of german online marketing is "DO SOCIAL MEDIA... ITS SO GOOD..."

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2015
Germany
I think, thanks to the internet, it doesn't really matter if you live in Germany, the UK, the US, or another country to start many online businesses.
Many services, apps or other digital products can be run worldwide no matter where you're from. Just look at Spotify (Sweden), Soundcloud (Germany), Readdle (Ukraine), Shazam (UK) or Opera (Norway).

As far as I know Germany is also a really big market for Amazon. A quick Google search brought up those numbers, listing the countries with the most products on Amazon:

1. Amazon US 371.371.285
  2. Amazon UK 298.956.307
  3. Amazon DE 288.109.944
With DE standing for Deutschland (Germany). Source

I'm not in the digital marketing business, but I think the state of it in Germany is pretty up to date. Still not comparable to the US, so yeah, that'd be a great approach. Also expanding that to other topics like webdesign, copywriting, and so on.

I think there are limitations when it comes to getting physical products out of the country and into big markets like the US (still possible, though).

Menery

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Sep 22, 2019
Shitty Websites and/or shitty Facebook Ads everywhere... Potential is endless. Lot of close minded People who "do it as they always did"... but also a lot of people looking for help.
True , Many shitty websites, however a lot of verticals (all tradesman,doctors, construction) have absoluty no need for a new Website because there is such a shortage of supply in These industries:

Look for the worst, mobile unresponsive roofer Website you can find , call them and he will Tell you maybe he is free in 6 month if at all.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
True , Many shitty websites, however a lot of verticals (all tradesman,doctors, construction) have absoluty no need for a new Website because there is such a shortage of supply in These industries:

Look for the worst, mobile unresponsive roofer Website you can find , call them and he will Tell you maybe he is free in 6 month if at all.
yes of course - social media ads are a quite good method to find new workers. there are some agencys which only do job opening lead gen for medical or blue collar jobs...

Benji90

Contributor
Nov 3, 2019

Sounds like you should start a roofing company.

Menery

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Sep 22, 2019
Sounds like you should start a roofing company.
Thats Not that easy in Germany, to do any tradesman work you have to be certified which Would requiere 3-4 years of training. And After that in regards to scaling good Luck Finding anybody that can actualy does roofing work besides recruiting people from eastern europe.

Benji90

Contributor
Nov 3, 2019
Thats Not that easy in Germany, to do any tradesman work you have to be certified which Would requiere 3-4 years of training. And After that in regards to scaling good Luck Finding anybody that can actualy does roofing work besides recruiting people from eastern europe.
I'm in the UK and I'm a tradesmen (mechanic) and I hear what you're saying about regulations etc, didnt know hiring was that difficult as I was thinking about maybe setting something up where you employ or hire another company to do work on your behalf while you get the staff to create a company.

If a roofer is 6 months fully booked all the time with terrible online presence then there's definitely money to be made.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
I'm in the UK and I'm a tradesmen (mechanic) and I hear what you're saying about regulations etc, didnt know hiring was that difficult as I was thinking about maybe setting something up where you employ or hire another company to do work on your behalf while you get the staff to create a company.

If a roofer is 6 months fully booked all the time with terrible online presence then there's definitely money to be made.
it is.. construction work is booming (still...) but next to nobody want to learn these jobs nowadays (cause the pay isnt good. dont know why these companys dont pay more... most "blue collar" jobs are of the "we always did it that way" and the "when i was young it was good.. then it is good today" way of thinking

Menery

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Sep 22, 2019
The roofer is compl

The roofer is completly Booked not because he works Slow or is lazy or whatever its because he is lacking the manpower. You can Not find any tradesman as nobody wants to work in blue collar anymore.

However if you somehow solve that you can definatly print your money with that.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I always thought he was born in Germany.
Probably because of this:

On topic: literally every person worldwide thinks he/she lives in the shittiest country in the world. Change your mindset, don't limit yourself to borders and find opportunities. Most of the money I make, I make in another continent. In this globalized world a lot is possible.

beswaax

New Contributor
Nov 26, 2019
Strong economy, cold people, ugly scenery except for south Bavaria and BaWü and lots of turkish immigrants. The only advantage germans have is that they speak german and can move to Austria, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Ragulations!
I see it in that way: if you want to adress people in US, you make a wesite and just do it.
When you do that in Ger, you first of all will pay a lot of penalty.
Its not that easy here!

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
The only advantage germans have is that they speak german and can move to Austria, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
What is the advantage to go there, please tell me?

Ing

Bronze Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
On topic: literally every person worldwide thinks he/she lives in the shittiest country in the world. Change your mindset, don't limit yourself to borders and find opportunities. Most of the money I make, I make in another continent. In this globalized world a lot is possible.
you have to have the residence out of Europe to have the advantages of not to be here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom