The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are some good books for Inventions?

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
I am mostly concentrating on making money another way (currency trading), but I recently had an idea pop into my head and I think it would be a good product. I checked and it hasn't been made by anyone else yet, so that's good. I'm looking for info and books for people who want to invent. Basic steps to take from start to finish. I'm most curious about a prototype and how I could manage that, because I know with what I'm thinking there is no way I could make it myself, but I could describe it well, and make a nice drawing at least lol. I know the dollar amount would range depending on many factors, but what type of capital is a decent amount to have to properly get it going? The thing I thought of is something small (could fit in your hand) and its something a lot of people could use.

Besides good books, does anyone have any general advice for me when it comes to this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Oh goodie, I asked this same question myself a few months back and now I get to help someone else :)

great starting point is From Patent to Profit by Bob DeMatteis, great quality info with plenty of examples highlighted.

In fact I checked it out again this week for reference on an idea I am currently pursuing involving building a brand and licensing it out(one of the avenues explained in Four Hour Work Week as well ;))

just remember though that you don't have to reinvent the wheel and that most great inventions nowadays are improvements on existing items, also that licensing is a very cost effective yet still highly profitable avenue for developing your product some examples to research are Teddy Ruxpin, the thighmaster and tae-bo

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Thanks for the info.

most great inventions nowadays are improvements on existing items
That's what mine is.

Biggest issues I have is getting a way to check patents and stuff to make sure no one has done it first, because I basically did a google search to check. Making sure I have all the legal patent stuff correct and protective as well as having however much money it costs to patent and get a lawyer to look it over (I wanna see if I can do a lot of the writing myself if possible). How to get a prototype done and basically what should I do next, like market it myself or sell the thing to a bigger company already in that area.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
The answer to all those q's is in the book I rec'd.

i.e. For the search you can go to uspto.gov and for the paperwork there's same forms available not to mention a lot of the wording from existing patents such as the abstract are considered "in the public domain" and can be used in your application.

Not to mention don't forget you can file for a provisional patent app for $75 that protects you for up to 1yr while you bring your product to market and as the US is a "first to invent" not "first to file" country as long as you have dated logs of your progress and even a crude prototype it will hold up in court over someone who just filed papers and has no dated logs or prototype.

Finally, check out the section on licensing as you can get the manufacturer to pay your filing fees and other development costs in exchange for a lower percentage(usually between 3-5%)

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Last week I actually bought this book for inventions- "The Everything Inventions and Patents Book" by Barbara Russell Pitts & Mary Russell Sarao. It takes you step by step from your idea to patents to manufacturers.

As for a patent search IMHO google.com/patents is the easiest and fastest way to search for existing inventions. You can either type in the exact thing you are looking for or the patent number of a product. Google gives you the whole description and drawings while on the other hand other sites force you to register and sometimes even pay.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

ricby

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 2, 2008
Kentucky
I have an extensive library of books on invention, licensing, and idea development.

The Inventor's Desktop Companion - Richard C. Levy
Inventing: Creating and selling your ideas - Phillip B. Knapp
Complete Guide to Making money with your ideas and inventions - Richard E. Paige
How To license your million dollar idea - Harvey Reese
The great american Idea book - Bob Coleman and Deborah Neville

Short list specific to inventing and idea development. Of course, lots on the web about it. Inventing, I will tell you is a task that requires stamina. Most products will go through numerous stages of not working before you get it where you want it. Patience comes first. One idea I had took over 200 adjustments before I thought it was ready for consumption.

The best advice I will give you is this:

Research the competition- if none find similar or industry specific
build prototype- DIY or farm out to fabricators
Pre-sell or test market it using a web page or three, viral, etc.- Gauge market
Decide on manufacturing- DIY (Instaprenuering) or outsource
Offer to sale
Then think about investors. They want tangibles a product already moving will get there attention.
Go into production
Then worry about protecting it- Why waste money on an idea that doesn't make any?

I pretty much DIY everything. I love ideas in all flavors.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
Then worry about protecting it- Why waste money on an idea that doesn't make any?

Be careful, if you publically disclose your idea before you have filed a patent app or provisional patent app. you have lost all your rights for protection.

If you want to do market studies or get comments from subject matter experts make sure you get a signed Non-Disclosure-Agreement with that person.

Further if you put the item into practice in a public arena were it can be seen that counts as a public disclosure. Example: if you design a better bicycle and go on the boardwalk with it you can kiss your idea good by.

Scout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 24, 2009
NJ
I should have added, i'm not a patent att. so make sure you do your homework. I'm in the middle of a similar venture with a new widget i've been working on so i've been doing some research:

Widget

spinventing

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 25, 2020
Kansas City
I am mostly concentrating on making money another way (currency trading), but I recently had an idea pop into my head and I think it would be a good product. I checked and it hasn't been made by anyone else yet, so that's good. I'm looking for info and books for people who want to invent. Basic steps to take from start to finish. I'm most curious about a prototype and how I could manage that, because I know with what I'm thinking there is no way I could make it myself, but I could describe it well, and make a nice drawing at least lol. I know the dollar amount would range depending on many factors, but what type of capital is a decent amount to have to properly get it going? The thing I thought of is something small (could fit in your hand) and its something a lot of people could use.

Besides good books, does anyone have any general advice for me when it comes to this?
If you are still looking for reading material, the book I read is The Independent Inventors Handbook. It was full on great insight and written by an inventor that became a lawyer. It gives a lot of insight into the inventing world and the challenges you may face.
Also you would be supprised at what can disqualify you for a patent. I'm glad I read this book, I feel so much more equipped.
I'm also looking for more books to read on inventing, so I'm gonna go through the comment threads and get some advise for myself lol

spinventing

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 25, 2020
Kansas City

spinventing

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 25, 2020
Kansas City
Be careful, if you publically disclose your idea before you have filed a patent app or provisional patent app. you have lost all your rights for protection.

If you want to do market studies or get comments from subject matter experts make sure you get a signed Non-Disclosure-Agreement with that person.

Further if you put the item into practice in a public arena were it can be seen that counts as a public disclosure. Example: if you design a better bicycle and go on the boardwalk with it you can kiss your idea good by.
You have one year after public disclosure from what I understand, and that could be as simple as talking about it to your wife!(if they could prove it lol)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.