The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Weekly Progress: What will you get done this week?

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Every morning I wake up and this is what I see.

About 2 hours are dedicated to habits that move the meter on my life, from health to business.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.11.06 AM.png

All of these are habits that I do daily.

This is how I win my week.

And this is how I win my month.

And the year.

And life.

Notice, I'm not focused on some esoteric goal next year.

I'm focused on the day and the week.

It's not rocket science.

Do what needs to be done, and the rest falls into place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do this every week with clients, and a few friends.

From the book "The ONE Thing":
  • What ONE Thing can you do that will make everything else redundant or easier to do?
  • If you don't know what your ONE Thing is, then figuring it out is your ONE Thing.

Let's go...

Week Commencing Monday 14-Nov-22
What's your "ONE THING" this week?

EDIT:

Note from @MJ DeMarco:

GoalSumo.com now allows you to set a Weekly Goal Focus, essentially a "What one goal will you accomplish this week?"

So now our service is optimized to help you WIN THE DAY and WIN THE WEEK.

If you take care of those two things, your odds of WINNING THE YEAR likely goes up 1000%.

1707758918509.png

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Love this @Andy Black !

The true one simple thing everyone can do to move forward with their business faster is to be very clear on what to focus on for the week.

CLARITY is KEY.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Week Commencing Monday 10-Jul-23

What will you do to make a sale this week?
I think I'll personally rest a lot. I'm fried at the edges right now and I need a break. Summers in Alaska are busy, busy, busy. It is light just about 24/7 and we do everything to get ready for the next winter. It is a very brief window of harried activities. Also, I sleep less during the summer since it's light for so many hours. I just need to slow down and enjoy the summer more.

I decided last night to change my schedule around some. I've been trying to do some bookkeeping every day. Instead, my assistant and I are going to do all the week's accounting/bookwork on Wednesday afternoons. We'll see how it goes. I don't know how many hours it is going to take us on average.

GoldFibre

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 1, 2023
Week Commencing Monday 27-Nov-23

1) What will make you happy with progress this week?

2) What are you doing to make a sale this week?

3) What are you not doing but should be?

4) Who will you help this week?
1. Matching the previous week's profit considering it was Black Friday
2. Accelerating new listing creation
3. Scheduling a recurring meeting with my account manager
4. I'm helping my supplier start their paid marketing strategy

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
My ONE thing is to read the book the ONE thing (which I have had lying around for ages but haven’t read yet) ;) no just kidding, My ONE thing is to get my online course up for the public, because even though my beta testers found it amazing, I stopped myself in the process of getting it “out there”.

All this fastlane talk and UNSCRIPTED thinking make me believe in the value I am creating is actually worth getting paid for. So big step, but Im excited

Thank you for asking, just realized how easy it is to stay in the action-faking area when I have too many things I want to do. Just decide on one thing and go do that :D

revampedmkt31

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 12, 2017
North Carolina
I lurk this forum quite a bit. Every time I fail, I hide and seek refuge in low paying gigs.

My ONE thing this week is to clean my email list and write a sequence for one product offer.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Week Commencing Monday 24-Jul-23

From the book "The ONE Thing":

What ONE Thing can you do that will make everything else redundant or easier to do?

If you don't know what your ONE Thing is, then figuring it out is your ONE Thing.
This week, today, I think I've made another RE deal on a trashed property. I'll know within 2 weeks IF this deal is going to close. It comes with a lot challenges and a good up side. Investing is one of my side gigs.

Last week I unexpectedly solved a well problem on an investment property we're rehabbing. We had replaced the well pump and then the well wasn't properly recovering (producing water). I took a gamble and had it "foamed out". That where foam, water, and air are injected into the water well to remove the silt, sand, and other materials stopping it up. The alternative was to redrill -- which costs thousands. No one knew if the foam treatment was going to work. It's been a few days and we are sure that the fix worked. The well is recoving like it should. Now we can hook up the plumbing system (that we've replaced) and have a working toilet on site for the construction crew.

I got rid a problem RV Space renter today. They moved on with their kids, animals, and collection of bad habits. They'd had been here about a month and worn out their welcome. I helped them to make the decision to move without me having to take legal action.

Another long term tenant in one of my rental units will be moved out by Thursday evening. She's working on it. It was challenging to collect rent from her every month. I didn't have to evict her or even serve her. And I'll be able to raise the rent substantially when I re-rent it.

That's 2 RE management problems solved in one week.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This week I'm sending my first book off to finish the editing and the formatting. The book cover design is ready for me to choose. My pen name is chosen and life goes on.
I finished adding the graphic to the workbook this morning. All the graphics are my own artwork. I'm setting up a library of artwork that will be very handy.
I plan to publish the two of them together in the next couple of months while I work on a third companion book for them.

Vacant rentals.
I have 3 right now. Putting them on FB. One is just being finished up today. We're cleaning up and doing some touch-up painting. We've replaced the central furnace and installed the over-the-kitchen range hood/vent. That had to have an outside vent run through the cupboards. That's done and it's boxed in and ready for some touch-up paint.

Off-site rehab
That project has been on hold due to a bunch of snowfall. We're waiting for the weather to clear. Hope to get back to it this week. We've gotten over a foot of snow and the mountains have gotten 4' in the last couple of days.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
PSA or FYI...

GoalSumo.com now allows you to set a Weekly Goal Focus, essentially a "What one goal will you accomplish this week?"

So now our service is optimized to help you WIN THE DAY and WIN THE WEEK.

If you take care of those two things, your odds of WINNING THE YEAR likely goes up 1000%.

1707758918509.png

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Finishing our customer portal app and getting it ready to submit to the app store

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
So many things makes so much more sense now, after I’ve actually Read the book “the one thing”

Ive been working with micro steps for years now (inspired by the Kaizen principle) , and they work magnificent but up until i read the one thing book i often felt like i got lost in the process because the kaizen principle focus a lot on the small things we can do right now and not a lot on which way we are going with it…

reading the book made me connect the dots between the small steps i do today matches the dream i have of many years out in the future

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Week Commencing Monday 29-May-23

What needs to happen for you to be happy with progress this week?
  • Have the next meeting with a potential partner for an appointment-setting company who I met last week. See to what degree I can deliver value for his scaling ambitions. He's been in business for 19 years, lives in Spain, and needs a competent partner in The Netherlands. Looks like a promising project for the next 3-4 years.
Other priorities are in process. So mostly staying happy with the process :)

Question for you @Andy Black :
"What are the current habits that are hindering your business progress?"

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm working on two websites for one client. An old business and a new business. They've put the old website on the back burner while they focus on the new. But that has left me hanging with the old because they won't approve the pages. It's not a matter of bad work. They just aren't making the time to look at the work. My one thing this week is to finish the work on the old one and go ahead and bill them. They are great clients with too much on their plate right now, but I need to clear my own plate so I can make room for more.
Remember... they're not a client if they don't pay you.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Week Commencing Monday 11-Sep-23
  1. What will make you happy with progress this week?
  2. What are you doing to make a sale this week?
  3. What are you not doing but should be?
This coming week:

Our rehab-flip project:

Still working on framing out some of the windows. Got the two upstairs bedroom windows replaced. This week we’re working on the kitchen windows. Need to frame out the one large window in the middle over the sink and remove the 2 smaller windows.

We’re getting ready for another concrete pour. This one has an interesting background. The former squatter/tenant thought there was gold under the garage floor so she dug a tunnel under the edge of the slab. It goes quite a ways back. No, she didn’t find gold and she was high when she did that. Thank goodness the tunnel is next to the basement so we can access it. However, it is a problem since we had to build a retaining wall at the basement exterior wall to fill the void with dirt and concrete. That is completed. We’ve filled her tunnel with all the dirt we can. The rest of that tunnel will be poured with concrete. That requires us to punch some holes in the slab above it. That single garage will become the new family room so weight on the slab will not be a problem once the new concrete is in place. The question on this pour is how much volume of concrete we need to fill that void.

Got a bid from the guy who is going to spray the basement with insulating foam. We must lay the plastic and get ready for that spay.

2. On our vacant rental, last week, all the flooring and baseboards were completed. The new cabinet over the kitchen range for the range hood and vent pipe is completed. The interior is ready for occupancy. My husband is making copies of the keys on our key machine to hand over and the tenants are starting to move in.

The new deck is framed out and half of the deck boards are laid. We will be picking up the rest of the deck boards today to finish that deck. Then we’ll put up sheets of plastic on the side where the wind comes in, add a handrail, and access steps. Just talked to my workman about putting a gate or removable panel built into the handrail across from the back door of the mobile home. It will save the railing later when people want to move furniture through that back door. We’re also talking about adding a short section to the roof line on the edge of the deck and walkway to deflect the winter snow – that we know is just around the corner. That can be built out of 2X4s and added pretty quickly.

3. Our on-site rehab – is on hold this week so we can work on other projects. BUT, we have the backhoe home from the rehab-flip project. My husband says he’s gonna install the ground anchors for the cable tie-downs along the edges of the mobile home this week. He has to make two more of the ground anchors in his shop this week and he has the steel on hand to do the fabrication. That’s one more thing done-done before winter. I just must get the tie-downs completed so the skirting can be put back into place. I must get the sauna tubes poured before the ground freezes for the roof, porch, and handicapped ramp.

4. I just billed out an invoice on a Federal contract where I supervised 24 water wells in campgrounds and Federal facilities. I have some paperwork to put together which I will get done this week; All the major work on the water sampling for this year is completed. Next spring will end this 5-year contract. The hard work is now all completed. I won’t be bidding on it again. I’ll be glad to finish and do that work no longer.

5. So, since #4 is just about in the bag, I have hired a coaching service to help me finish putting together and publishing some books that I wrote and illustrated a long time ago. Most of them are for kids. I’m so excited to work on my art and writing again. When I wrote this stuff and did the art, self-publishing wasn’t possible. Now it is. I want to take advantage of it.

Ain’t it great to be retired and have all this spare time!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Week Commencing Monday 06-Nov-23

I've taken a couple of weeks off to write a book. I finished the 30k word draft in those 2 weeks. I'll have a Zoom call with my writing coach today. We'll see what she has to say. I'm working on the editing step.

the off-site rehab

We changed the roof line of the house and framed out a carport. We'll be finishing the framing for the extending the roof over the front door. That will be the framing for new front porch and deck for the second floor door. We've had over a foot of snow during the last few days which has a been a problem. The house looks like a different structue due to the roof line.

We already raised the roof on the other side of the house over the old single garage. That garage is going be converted to a family room. The attic area above that family room is going to be the huge new master closet area on the second floor.

Last night a friend came and helped us make a plan for the forced air furance system. That unit will go in the basement with a system of vents to whole house from there. The change in house roof line will give the space on the second floor to run our vent system.

on-site work

We have gotten 2 vacancies ready to rent. I must work on marketing them to find new tenants.

I have a 3rd one that needs to be cleaned out and ready to rent.

and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This week I'm working on:

My book:
I'm editing my book. I'm adding and subtracting from the draft. I want to get through it the first time by the end of the week.

Off-site rehab project:
We have all the roofing metal at the job site. The roofer is drilling his holes and lining up the job of installing it. We've had quite a bit of snow. It's very cold here, but life is going on.

Our friend is finishing up his drawing for the vent system. He works for a plumbing store. By putting the furnace in the basement, it will help keep that area warm and water pipes that run through there thawed.

That store had a whole pile of venting pieces they were going to throw away at his work. Those materials will be perfect for part of our project. We picked those materials up for free this last week. We filled up our truck and trailer load. That gift of materials will save me thousands when we put the furnace system together. Yea!!!! I feel so blessed.

Long term project for the rehab projects:
My husband is working on the water pipes for the house. And he needs to run a gas line over to where we are going to put the furnace. But first, we will probably pour a concrete pad in the basement to put the furnace on. (The floor is gravel in the basement and covered with plastic for the moisture barrier.) He also must put an air vent to the exterior of the house for intake air for the furnace. Since we're in the Arctic, that vent must be long enough to heat the exterior cold air before it enters the furnace. That's gonna take some planning. These chores and processes may take us the rest of the winter -- and we have very long winters.

the rentals:
I have two vacancies that are ready to rent. I'm going to do fliers and run ads this week. I was writing my book and I just hadn't gotten this issue to the top of my list. It's there now.

We're cleaning out another rental to get it ready to rent again.

My office:
I have piles and piles of paperwork to process. I think all those papers had babies while I was busy. This week I want to tame some stacks.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Week Commencing Monday 08-Jan-24

4) Who will you help this week?
My Books:

My full-length book is edited. Looks good. This week I'll have it back in for formatting. I plan to publish it with the workbook that is just about ready too. These are books for adults. I have another full-length book half written and I'm working on another low-content book to finish off this group.

I have the art scanned, cropped, and placed into the templates for 2 of the easy math activity books for kids. I have one more to go for the trio. I'm scrapping the graphic art elements out of the pages and putting them into my art library for future use. I'll be scanning, scrapping the graphic art elements, cropping, and dropping the art pages for #3 this week. I might even start tonight.

Off-site rehab project:
Installing the furnace and vent tree. Working on the intake and exhaust vents. Installing interior ceiling lights.

We're going to work on the interior for the rest of the winter.

Rental unit:
Rented one over the weekend and he moved in.

Working on changing all the furnace filters and checking the CO/smoke detectors. Did a couple more today. Just about done with all of them.

I have to go back into the coursework from the coaching service I hired for just a couple more things.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Don't have an offer to sell yet, will be working full-time on internship until 31st May. I'm taking this question to mean 'What am I doing to increase the probability of having a business that makes 60k+ by the end of college'. For increasing my probability, I am learning Web design. This week I want to get 2-3 lessons done on Udemy and FreeCodeCamp for HTML.
Hi David.

Maybe take that question literally. Learning doesn't pay the bills. Getting a client does. You can learn what's needed while you deliver for your client. That initial client could be free or low paid, like I suggested my niece and her boyfriend help his mum sell more cakes.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This week on my books:
I have my full-length book in being formatted. I expect it back soon.

My rentals:
I had two vacancies last week. I've taken one off of the market for our son. He, his wife, and our grandchild are moving here this spring. I'm saving a place for them to live when they get here. We're very excited that they moving here to be close to us.

I have one vacancy left to get rented. I'll work on it again this week.

My bookwork for my businesses:

I got the receipt scanning just about up to date this last week. This week I have a bunch of dictation of construction notes to catch up. I've got a bunch of other stuff to get done.

My off-site rehab job:
Last week, we got the installation of the furnace approved by the utility company. Now we're building the venting system for that furnace. We should have heat in the downstairs in the next couple of days. That's important since the temperature in our area is sub-zero. We do have a gas log stove in the living room that is keeping things above freezing on the ground floor in the meantime.

Last week, we got a new staircase structure built leading to the second floor. This week we need to put in a handrail and work on starting the finishing the carpentry work. I want to put a reading nook under the staircase. I don't know if that is possible considering the support structure that will be necessary.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'll start.

My ONE Thing this week is to create a landing page and simple signup funnel for a new product.

I'll keep doing the usual client work, following up with prospects, and posting on social media.

miguelst

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 2, 2022
Nice post @Andy Black

My one big thing is to add a first case to my website portfolio! I launched a beautiful website yesterday, of which I'm very proud, I'm going to add it to my portfolio so people know what I can do for them.

Have a good week, everyone!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My ONE Thing:
  • Successfully onboard a new consulting client and create some new campaigns for them.
Other:
  • Figure out next steps for a poorly performing PMax campaign.
  • Setup a new domain for a new course/newsletter.
  • Start back at daily short videos?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For me:
  1. Create a video ad in Canva for the first time. It's for a client. I'm keen to see if it can help the client, and how useful Canva is.
  2. Keep hounding a new client for business metrics. Hard to tell if we're making a difference if they don't tell us how many enquiries, leads, and sales they make each week.
  3. Chat with the owner of a business who were a client a couple of weeks ago. He reached out asking for a meeting.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Week Commencing Monday 03-Apr-23

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Week Commencing Monday 03-Apr-23

I have 4 differents meetings with potential clients this week, this is the most intense week in term of prospecting since I began in business.

But the best is this afternoon, meeting with an ad agency director who want to take me as a freelancer to make websites pages on elementor. This could bring me recurrents revenues every months with easy gigs, thus securing my business.

In addition this guy is very famous in my city (seller/advertiser since 30 years) so working with him will very likely bring me a bunch of new opportunities.

So this week just having that would be an awesome step !

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.