The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Evaluation

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
My Brother in Law has started his own website. It's not finished yet but here's what he's done so far. I've told him what i think needs improving on it but i said i'd post it on here to get some real feedback from people who know what they are talking about.

www.brandulance.com

Tell me what you think!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
It's bad. Really bad lol. I dont know where to start. No clear message of what he's offering. Crazy early 2000s jumping graphics and design. I'm guessing he's offering some kind of branding/ marketing for companies but his own branding is terrible. Good on him for starting something but just needs a lot of work! Maybe look into using a template.

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
It's a shopify site. Tell him to use a template and get the flashing thing off of there. Headache inducing

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Yeah, take that flashing thing off and get rid of all the B's. Then someone might actually be able to see the site. I had to close it out.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I can't really tell what he is selling but it doesn't seem like shopify is the best platform for this. It seems wordpress would be much better, given the flexibility on the platform I think it would be much easier for him to customize a template and start over. I agree about the website being very ugly/poor and needing to use a template. I would recommend he goes on themeforest to buy a wordpress theme

Design:
1. Fonts are hard to read
2. Homepage slider is terrible, moving logo is distracting
3. Logo/category images on homepage (brandulance for affiliates etc) are poorly designed, pixelated, and hard to read (font) - background on these is odd

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
It's bad. Really, really bad. And shopify is a horrible platform for project of this kind. Tell him to create a Wordpress site and buy Divi Builder. It costs like 100$, but it's one-time fee and can be used for unlimited sites. It has over 100 templates, which can be edited super easily (basically swap the content).
Check this example, there's many like this and all can be edited effortlesly Digital Marketing Landing | Elegant Themes
P.S. I'm in no way affiliated or anything. I just had to find a way to make my own sites without any skills and this is what works for me.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
Blogger here. $15k/month blog owner.

Biggest thing is to have the landing page IMMEDIATELY display what you're about.

Benefits, benefits, BENEFITS.

Second, get rid of that annoying moving gif. It serves no purpose.

Have a "learn more" button and some case studies as well.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
It's bad. Really, really bad. And shopify is a horrible platform for project of this kind. Tell him to create a Wordpress site and buy Divi Builder. It costs like 100$, but it's one-time fee and can be used for unlimited sites. It has over 100 templates, which can be edited super easily (basically swap the content).
Check this example, there's many like this and all can be edited effortlesly Digital Marketing Landing | Elegant Themes
P.S. I'm in no way affiliated or anything. I just had to find a way to make my own sites without any skills and this is what works for me.
Hi, this is really helpful. I have multiple e-commerce sites to launch including digital products and it's my first time around. I'll most likely go with Bluehost. Is there any real benefit to having a dedicated IP?
Thanks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My Brother in Law has started his own website. It's not finished yet but here's what he's done so far. I've told him what i think needs improving on it but i said i'd post it on here to get some real feedback from people who know what they are talking about.

www.brandulance.com

Tell me what you think!
Whoa! The purple!!!! Just no.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
Hi, this is really helpful. I have multiple e-commerce sites to launch including digital products and it's my first time around. I'll most likely go with Bluehost. Is there any real benefit to having a dedicated IP?
Thanks.
Sorry. Didn't quite get what you mean. The Divi Builder is like a plugin which offers customizable templates for more than 100 industries. You can use it on as many sites as you wish.
I guess you're talking about hosting. In that case, yeah, Bluehost is fine and in my opinion there is no point of hosting websites on your own, dedicated server.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Sorry. Didn't quite get what you mean. The Divi Builder is like a plugin which offers customizable templates for more than 100 industries. You can use it on as many sites as you wish.
I guess you're talking about hosting. In that case, yeah, Bluehost is fine and in my opinion there is no point of hosting websites on your own, dedicated server.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Rawiri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 26, 2016
Thanks.

Yes, there is. The primary one is really security.

If you are on shared hosting then you lose large amounts of control. You could have the best security on your own site and it doesn't matter - a hacker will just hack you by going through some other random person who has a hobby site with crappy security hosted on the same server. If you're creating an e-commerce site that is going to have a database with customer information then that is a big liability.

Depending on your set up there are other things too, like flexibility of what you're doing on the back-end. Deliverability of emails (someone using the same server - or hacked in - could have spammed emails out and got the IP blacklisted). Slowed down speed of the site (depending on how popular the other sites are) - which could possibly lose sales and impact SEO if that is a traffic source being pursued.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Yes, there is. The primary one is really security.

If you are on shared hosting then you lose large amounts of control. You could have the best security on your own site and it doesn't matter - a hacker will just hack you by going through some other random person who has a hobby site with crappy security hosted on the same server. If you're creating an e-commerce site that is going to have a database with customer information then that is a big liability.

Depending on your set up there are other things too, like flexibility of what you're doing on the back-end. Deliverability of emails (someone using the same server - or hacked in - could have spammed emails out and got the IP blacklisted). Slowed down speed of the site (depending on how popular the other sites are) - which could possibly lose sales and impact SEO if that is a traffic source being pursued.
Thanks for the feedback. Security will matter. Clients will transmit and create legal and financial info plus private content on three sites. Two more are E-commerce and one is online publishing.
Should I consider a VPS instead of a dedicated IP?

Bluehost offers dedicated IP with a strong hosting package for $13.95/mo.

I used HTML 5 to build websites for three annual bikathons and my real estate hustle, but I am "self-taught" and I want to save time with a flexible website builder. In the deep past that was Dreamweaver. It looks like Bluehost offers plans that use uses Wordpress. From what I gather this is a step down.

Last edited:

Rawiri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Oct 26, 2016
Thanks for the feedback. Security will matter. Clients will transmit and create legal and financial info plus private content on three sites. Two more are E-commerce and one is online publishing.
Should I consider a VPS instead of a dedicated IP?

Bluehost offers dedicated IP with a strong hosting package for $13.95/mo.

I used HTML 5 to build websites for three annual bikathons and my real estate hustle, but I a! "self-taught" and I want to save time with a flexible website builder. In the deep past that was Dreamweaver. It looks like Bluehost offers plans that use uses Wordpress. From what I gather this is a step down.

A dedicated IP will basically help with the e-mail issue (if sending out business e-mails from the domain name etc).

In the sense of increasing security it won't do much, though. (EXCEPT if it were required to get a SSL certificate, which you will need for e-commerce - but with a big host like Bluehost you should be able to get an SSL certificate on shared hosting...)

The most secure is of course, entirely dedicated server. But that is often a pain to deal with, not to mention expensive. VPS is a good middle ground - not as secure but way better than basic shared hosting.

IF you want to use shared hosting (which is honestly probably fine at the start and then you could move over later) then I would save your money and not bother with the dedicated IP since it probably won't be needed...and you can use some other e-mail for business on the off chance there were. Just check the price for SSL, if any, since you'll need that.

Otherwise VPS is what I would do. And best case scenario the VPS is shared among a whole bunch of servers to reduce risk of any down-time. I don't know if Bluehost operates it like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.