The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Webdesign Fastlane or Slowlane?

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
I am quite good at creating websites and at the moment have no really good fastlane ideas but was wondering on if you guys would think its worth me registering a business and using my time making websites?
This idea sounds slowlane to me but would this gain me useful experience?
I have two weeks off work with sickness so am stuck in bed but also with a computer to hand so need something productive to keep me busy!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
You can’t say in general if its fast or slowlane, it’s how about you build this. IF you can automate things, it could be “fastlane” :). Maybe you should use your skills to earn some money to boost another project?

If you have time to spare just do it, or what I would do just read some good books and fuel your mind with new information.

It s all about what you need. If you need more knowledge read books, if you need some quick money, make websites. It doesn’t matter, with both ways you will learn something.

With kind regards
Patrick

Edit: I forget: You have to considder, that this i sa very crowded business space...

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
Thanks, I have to admit the only thing holding me back is the fact its crowded!
I have no need to make money quick but living with parents, 8-5 job, .... you know!

logic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2013
Wisconsin
I was wondering this too, I do website design/development and have been doing pretty well. I'm thinking about incorporating and trying to attract higher paying clients to fund future ventures/pay off school debt.

How do you create your sites? Wordpress? (That's what I use) Custom? Joomla? Just curious to see how others do it.

Nice thread!

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
What about creating outstanding templates and selling them?
That would work :D

I had made some webdesign to, but i think its not the right way to go for me... I want to trye different things, go out and trye some new stuff :D Thats wye i am not into it anymore. So i do it for my porjects if i need to but not anymore for clients.

Ps: i am still in a 9-5:30 job to.. at least for now ;)

Edit: i used WP and one time Drupal. Was a hassle to learn it, but if you will use it often it is definetly worth a shot!

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Webdesign Fastlane or Slowlane?

When you stop, does your income stop?

Slowlane.

However, that said ... by all means do it.

You will get paid to learn. And what are you learning? You're getting paid to build systems.

Fastlane.

Additionally as mentioned above, you can focus on creating templates.

Once you build a template, it survives time and will work for you IN TIME. Meaning, you can make money while sleeping!

For example, take a look at this:

https://wrapbootstrap.com/theme/unicorn-admin-template-WB0F35928

This template has been sold 2,430 times @ 18 bucks a pop. That's $43,000. (And I the template has been up for 5 months -- that annualized is about $100K/year -- FN passive. (Not counting the commission the website receives.)

This is how you leverage your work -- you build something the survives time and can be scaled.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Some guys doing more than 1M in sales! Obviously that the true Fastlaners here are the guys that built the platform

+1

Top selling themeforest authors are not really 100% passive, they provide active support to clients + keep templates up to date.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Top selling themeforest authors are not really 100% passive, they provide active support to clients + keep templates up to date.

Agree. But if you are making 1M in sales you can hire developers to do that. I guess. But yes, is not 100% passive, but not too bad either :)

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
I was a web developer for a while and MJ hit the nail on the head.

You couldn't pay me enough money to build for anyone else ever again.

Templates or not...

Yet, I learned all of the little tricks for setting up a business online while getting paid: CRM, programming, SIP phones, gateways, blah, blah, blah.

I did have employees, but that literally just meant a new set of problems that I wouldn't want to go through again while being responsible for delivering a contracted product.

evoo21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jan 25, 2013
Elliot,

First of all, I want to point out that building websites and running a website design business are completely different. There are a lot of skills needed to run any business that you won't have gained from simply building websites.

Second, building websites is difficult to leverage. If you are the one developing, you can only work on one site at a time, and while you're developing you can't be out selling.

Webdesign and development CAN be fast lane if you use the right strategies:
- Maintenance Contracts: Have low entry prices with a monthly maintenance cost to update servers, make changes to the page, etc. Having my own business that offers this service, I can attest that the majority of people do not have many changes on a monthly basis and if they do charge accordingly. It is not uncommon for organizations like school districts to pay $1,000 - $2,500 a month just for maintenance on their site.

- Hosting: Everyone needs hosting and most businesses have no idea how much hosting costs. I charge $20 per site per month and cost to me is $25 per month. With ten accounts, I am making $225 a month from doing nothing.

- Mobile Sites: Mobile is all the rage, as it should be. Charge an upfront fee to create a mobile site for someone, and then charge a monthly fee to host and maintain it.

There are low barriers to entry in this industry - sites like oDesk have made it easy to outsource the majority of the work. If you can somehow reach a ton of people (scale) you may be able to make this a fastlane business.

logic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2013
Wisconsin
evoo, Thanks for the great post.

A problem that I find myself running into is marketing my business to high-end clients. Currently, I only use Craigslist and post in about 5 cities daily that are pretty close to my location and I get a lot of cheap people or individuals that are on a tight budget.

I am actually creating more craigslist accounts right now and am wrapping up my personal business website. I plan to begin charging for hosting on the next client that I get. I just became an LLC. I have been doing web development for only a year and use Wordpress.

How do you market your business? Do you have any advice for hooking clients and keeping them once you state the monthly charges for maintenance? Do you have any general advice for someone who is relatively new to the development world?

A tremendous thanks in advance.

evoo21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jan 25, 2013
Hi Logic,

Craigslist is tough. I bought an autoresponder that automatically responds to ads with certain keywords such as "wordpress" "html" "website" in the computer gigs section. I did get a good amount of leads, but none of them materialized exactly because of what you said: These are all people trying to get a deal and on a tight budget.

The website business is primarily a people business. Seriously, every singly client I have gotten has been someone I was friends with, acquaintances with, worked with, or a referral from a friend.

I used to think that making nice websites that were sleek would get me clients, and it can but it's mostly relationship based.

Case in point - I met this woman at a networking event a few years ago. She rattled off all the accounts she had; 7-11, University of Washington, etc. I was impressed by her client list and was expecting a killer website. Instead, I got this highdive.com

My best advice to you would be to think of a way that you are different from all the other web people out there and start networking. Let everyone know that you are now making websites for people and DON'T DO ANY FREE WORK! I made the mistake of doing a couple of sites for free, and it was a pain. When people have no skin in the game, they can become very demanding.

Hope this helps.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Case in point - I met this woman at a networking event a few years ago. She rattled off all the accounts she had; 7-11, University of Washington, etc. I was impressed by her client list and was expecting a killer website. Instead, I got this highdive.com

I don't understand ... are you saying that the web developer's website is lacking, so therefore, how could they do something for you? And yes, my impression of the website is that it's below average and looks dated.

evoo21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jan 25, 2013
I don't understand ... are you saying that the web developer's website is lacking, so therefore, how could they do something for you? And yes, my impression of the website is that it's below average and looks dated.

I failed to mention that the women was a networking queen. she attended various events each week, tapped into her husband's network etc.

My point to liquid and elliot was that it's a relationship business, and that having the technical know how is not all you need to be successful in this or any business; this person has A-list clients through her relationships but offers a subpar product, that people buy because of their relationship with her not her technical abilities.

logic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2013
Wisconsin
Thanks again for the replies, it's definitely an angle that I didn't consider.

I'm only 19 years old and in college, I think a lot of credibility will be immediately dismissed because of my age if I were to attend a networking event like you mention.

I've done pretty well selling sites in the $350-$500 range, but I see quite a few people charging nothing less than $1,000 for sites that I can easily replicate. I've been thinking that "Looking Big, Acting Small" might be a good veil to hide my age and allow me to land higher-end clients.

Would you guys be hesitant or opposed to having a website developed by someone that is young like me?

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I've done pretty well selling sites in the $350-$500 range, but I see quite a few people charging nothing less than $1,000 for sites that I can easily replicate. I've been thinking that "Looking Big, Acting Small" might be a good veil to hide my age and allow me to land higher-end clients.

Would you guys be hesitant or opposed to having a website developed by someone that is young like me?

Don't hide. Be professional but don't pretend.

I would rather hire someone your age than a "networking king/queen". I bet many high-end clients have had experience with such folks and understand what that's about. If there are A-listers she's worked with, enabling her to say "I've worked with ____", you know and they know it's just throwing her a bone, to maintain the networking relationship.

If you pretend, you would be doing the same thing as her, except she has more experience and expertise in the art of blowing smoke, so you'd lose right there. There's no contradiction between developing your relationships and also having actual technical skills. Everybody knows that the best techies are doing their best work in their teens and twenties. Everybody knows Zuckerberg wasn't a middle aged dude attending networking events.

If you're going to emulate anyone, be like the Zuckerberg of your local network, the young whiz kid, not like the networking queen.

The main thing is you have to make a bulletproof case for being reliable, not like one of those dine-and-dash website guys that burn people all the time. The fact that you charge so much less not only implies that you don't have the skills, it also implies that you are one of those "craigslist" looking-for-a-gig transients. No no no.

PS. It's nice you see existing sites you can easily replicate, but if that's all you can do, why bother? You need to do a lot better.

PS. #2 I see my brain mixed up Evo's post and yours between the page break... but anyway the point still stands. Also would definitely agree with others that personally doing this kind of work for local businesses is surely not the way to go in the long term.

Last edited:

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom

That site looks like it was made on the free version of frontpage that came with Windows 98!
I am not going to go ahead with putting energy into this now I have a couple of sites to make for people I know and I must admit sites take me time (maybe even a full day sometimes) to create so per hour price is low.

I will put my mind in other places and hopefully start something this year!

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I'm only 19 years old and in college, I think a lot of credibility will be immediately dismissed because of my age if I were to attend a networking event like you mention.

What?! You can't be too young, you can just be too old for things.

Especially web stuff. You're young so you know the latest trends.

Dress well, act mature and you'll be respected.

Youth never stopped me from doing business deals and from being taken seriously. Go for it.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012

Youth never stopped me from doing business deals and from being taken seriously. Go for it.

What you're saying makes me think about how "You remind me of me when I was your age" is one of the best things you can hear from a successful oldster. Once you stop hearing that it probably means yr getting old and/or you're hanging around the wrong set of people.

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013

Totally agree with this.

Thanks again for the replies, it's definitely an angle that I didn't consider.

I guess I am in the similar boat with you. I have been doing this for about 7 years now since I was 13 and worked my way through these hurdles... although I didn't commit much time to it throughout the younger years so all of that could be consolidated if focused on.

Right now I'm 20 and in some months I have brought in $10000... but average around $7800. This is really great and these numbers have really improved my quality of life but I realise that as soon as I stop working, bam no money coming in. It sucks and I really have to work my a$$ off sometimes. Thus I am trying to get into products such as templates (fastlane)

Anyhow I agree with MJ that the great thing about this is that you learn how to build systems, you also get an insight into how others are doing their business (right/wrongly) and you learn new languages etc.. (paid to learn ;)) and the more you learn / the higher your skill set the more you can charge.

You also have to find the right people. I wasted a bunch of time when I was younger hanging in the wrong places similar to craigslist with people who have a very small budget. I know trading time for money is a poor strategy but if you work it out you are probably putting many hours in for that < $1000 job so your not making much per hour. That said you are learning etc and if you enjoy programming its probably more enjoyable than working in an awful job at the same or less rate.

There are different tiers of customers who want websites.

Anyway back onto what I was meant to say is as long as you have a good portfolio (good clients) showcasing your work, act responsibly, be confident and let your age be a positive factor you will do well. If you don't, take on these jobs, learn as much as you can and do a great job. Showcasing what you can do, believe it or not - this is very subjective and just my opinion but I think for most people they just want their information online and design and copy is the most important thing as opposed to how well you can code. But if you get the more technical job then your code quality matters (this improves over time anyway..)

There is a chain of restaurant/lunch shops in my City, they are growing right now and have a 14 stores. I went in and I liked the shop so I decided to check out their website, turns out it was really outdated - So I sent them an email telling them how much I loved their shop but its a shame that their website didnt reflect how cool their shop was. I didn't expect a reply but a few days later they got in touch with me. They mentioned they had planned to re do it.. I was shocked that a big chain would answer a young guy like me.. A few emails (with portfolio ;)) went back and forth and then I met the owner of the company himself who was impressed that I was young and it became a positive factor - he mentioned: "You guys are up to date with all the latest tech", I got the gig! so dont let it hold you back!

Just make sure you are reliable and can do a great job and thats all that matters.

Hope my experience some how helps!

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
Best way to get web design clients:

Network
Write articles for specialty trade magazines
Give free seminars
Give free webinars
Blah, Blah, Blah

If I had to start it all over today I'd advertise exclusively via seminars and local meetups...

I'd also only focus on being a performance marketing expert. There's better pay in the marketing and the client questions you less.

logic

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 29, 2013
Wisconsin
LeungJan, I'm going to start charging for hosting/maintenance on the next and subsequent clients that I get to start a passive/recurring income stream.

I'm just going to use Hostgator hosting and bill clients using PayPal, which will eliminate the need to handle credit card information. (If anyone knows of a better alternative, I'd appreciate any info!)

But as was mentioned earlier, you can build a passive stream of revenue by offering web hosting/domain name/maintenance services. Build up a large clientele @ $25-50.00 each and you're set! The development money is just the icing on the cake :D

LeungJan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 8, 2013
Yeah thats a good way to get some passive income! I do this too, I have a VPS though. Will you be doing shared hosting via a reseller? The only problem I have had so far (and friends) is that clients may need support, especially if they host their email on the account etc.. But for the most part for me I have had no problems and very little support! I'm pretty sure you could scale it up but I havent really pushed it that far and for me (correct me if I'm wrong) but it looks limited by the no. of clients you have. (Unless you were to set it up as a web hosting company)

But that isn't a solid reason not to do it.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I met the owner of the company himself who was impressed that I was young and it became a positive factor

Exactly! If you're good at something, it just becomes more impressive that you did it so young.

Only a fool would discriminate you just because of age, so if someone does, they did you a favor. These are the people that don't believe in themselves either, feel sorry for them and rock on, do your thing:) Btw.what do you think why there are "30 under 30" lists? It's cool to be under 30:)

Best way to get web design clients:

Network
Write articles for specialty trade magazines
Give free seminars
Give free webinars

Didn't try the rest of these, but networking has definitely been a winner for me. Whenever I'm around business owners, usually at some point they ask me what I do, and it goes something like this:

"I create websites"

"Really!? I need a website!"

Literally, that's my whole pitch, and from that point on they insist on having my phone number. Because there is a need out there definitely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.